Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

My fiancee got hit by a car. Now I'm trying to replace her Reynolds Crescent frame

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

My fiancee got hit by a car. Now I'm trying to replace her Reynolds Crescent frame

Search this Thread

Old 09-22-22, 07:24 PM
nswartsell

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by Mad Honk
Well, guys I have a frame here that supports all of those issues. But the pics indicate she did not have eyelets on the original bike. However since there is radio silence about this search I am going to step aside unless contacted by the OP. Most of the C&V crowd know of my proclivity to help other members out. If this doesn't work for the OP my feelings won't be hurt. Smiles, CrapMaster Honk
Sorry to drop off the face of the earth! Been really tied up at work and haven't had the time to check up on this post. Didn't realize people were still commenting. I'm going to show her these pics. She's pretty fixated on finding another Crescent but this is a nice, nice bike. Thank you again for posting these pics. What would you say is the tire clearance? She likes to ride 30-32 m, usually cross tires. We have pretty rough roads and fun lil gravel paths around here we like to get out on.
Old 09-22-22, 09:55 PM
CliffordK

Mentioned: 217 Post(s)
Quoted: 18352 Post(s)
Liked 4,502 Times in 3,346 Posts
Originally Posted by d2702
https://www.facebook.com/marketplace...tory_type=post

Just happened upon this as I was poking around Facebook Marketplace. Not lugged so not the level you're hunting for but a good sign that they're out there.

Click through to the fourth picture for the surprise!
Interesting bike. But, I think fairly low end. Are those one piece cranks?

"varldsmastarcykeln crescent" apparently means world champion, but not necessarily that bike.

Originally Posted by d2702
https://www.facebook.com/marketplace...tory_type=post

This one however... lugs for days. On MP for 9 weeks, I bet you could strike a deal.
That one looks pretty nice. A lot of new components, and no front derailleur. But, it does appear to have the larger tires that the OP was wanting. And overall generally a good build.

I'm guessing a little larger. 56cm to 58cm?
Old 09-22-22, 09:59 PM
merziac

Bikes: Merz x 5 + Specialized Merz Allez x 2, Strawberry/Newlands/DiNucci/Ti x3, Gordon, Fuso/Moulton x2, Bornstein, Paisley,1958-74 Paramounts x3, 3rensho, 74 Moto TC, 73-78 Raleigh Pro's x5, Marinoni x2, 1960 Cinelli SC, 1980 Bianchi SC, PX-10 X 2

Mentioned: 267 Post(s)
Quoted: 4510 Post(s)
Liked 6,374 Times in 3,666 Posts
Originally Posted by nswartsell
Sorry to drop off the face of the earth! Been really tied up at work and haven't had the time to check up on this post. Didn't realize people were still commenting. I'm going to show her these pics. She's pretty fixated on finding another Crescent but this is a nice, nice bike. Thank you again for posting these pics. What would you say is the tire clearance? She likes to ride 30-32 m, usually cross tires. We have pretty rough roads and fun lil gravel paths around here we like to get out on.
No worries, you must be joking, dog with a bone.......

Old 09-23-22, 12:49 PM
evwxxx
FalconLvr

Bikes: 62 Falcon, 58 Raleigh Lenton Gran Prix, 74 Raleigh Pro, 75 Raleigh Int, 75 Raleigh Comp, 76 Colnago Super, 75 Crescent, 80 Peugeot PX10, plus others too numerous to mention!

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 49 Post(s)
Liked 107 Times in 66 Posts
To the OP: This is what I have: top of line “Pepita” model, full Reynolds 531 butted tubes, forks and stays. Campy dropouts. No dents or dings but usual paint chips. 56cm c to c. You mentioned you live in southern Ohio, I am in sw Virginia but so happens I will be driving through southern Ohio (from Charleston WV to Dayton) next Thursday or Friday. This bike is probably what your fiancé had, but 2cm taller. PM me if interested. ew
Likes For evwxxx:
Old 09-23-22, 01:14 PM
noobinsf 

Bikes: '82 Univega Competizione, '72 Motobecane Grand Record, '83 Mercian KOM Touring, '85 Univega Alpina Uno, '76 Eisentraut Limited

Mentioned: 57 Post(s)
Quoted: 1088 Post(s)
Liked 1,205 Times in 701 Posts
Originally Posted by evwxxx
To the OP: This is what I have: top of line “Pepita” model, full Reynolds 531 butted tubes, forks and stays. Campy dropouts. No dents or dings but usual paint chips. 56cm c to c. You mentioned you live in southern Ohio, I am in sw Virginia but so happens I will be driving through southern Ohio (from Charleston WV to Dayton) next Thursday or Friday. This bike is probably what your fiancé had, but 2cm taller. PM me if interested. ew
Ping @nswartsell
Likes For noobinsf:
Old 09-23-22, 01:19 PM
nswartsell

Liked 7 Times in 4 Posts
Just PMed you!

Last edited by nswartsell; 09-23-22 at 01:25 PM.
Likes For nswartsell:
Old 09-23-22, 02:40 PM
evwxxx
FalconLvr

Bikes: 62 Falcon, 58 Raleigh Lenton Gran Prix, 74 Raleigh Pro, 75 Raleigh Int, 75 Raleigh Comp, 76 Colnago Super, 75 Crescent, 80 Peugeot PX10, plus others too numerous to mention!

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 49 Post(s)
Liked 107 Times in 66 Posts
Just PMed you!
Hmmm, have not received a pm yet,,,
Old 09-23-22, 02:46 PM
nswartsell

Liked 7 Times in 4 Posts
Ha oops. Okay for real this time.
Likes For nswartsell:
Old 09-27-22, 06:10 PM
nswartsell

Liked 7 Times in 4 Posts
Hey all. Wondering if someone out there might be able to help me replace my fiancee's bike.

Her dad bought a 54 cm orange Crescent bicycle with some nice lugs and Reynolds 531 tubing in the 1970s. He passed it down to her when she was 13 and she's ridden it nearly every day since.

A couple weeks ago a driver ran a red light and hit her. She's ok -- bruised up but she fell away from the car, thank goodness. Her bike wasn't so lucky. It ended up under the car as it sped away. We have not been able to locate it.

On top of the trauma of being hit by a car, she's just heartbroken her bike is gone. It means so much to her. There is no way to replace it, but I'm trying to do the next best thing and locate another one. If anyone has any leads on a 52 or 54 cm orange Crescent (the Reynolds version with lugs, not the lower-quality version), I'd gladly pay a very fair price for the frame or a complete bike. We're in southern Ohio, but I'd pay for shipping in most cases.

Thanks for reading this and for any help you might be able to give.
Thank you all for your incredible kindness! Our LBS got in contact today and told us someone found her bike on the side of the road and brought it into the shop. We'd posted a lot on social media so I guess the finder recognized it. LBS checked it out and the frame appears straight/rideable though some components are gonna need some attention. Crazy. We're very glad to have it back.
Likes For nswartsell:
Old 09-27-22, 06:31 PM
panzerwagon 
Garage tetris expert

Bikes: A few. Ok, a lot

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 386 Post(s)
Liked 691 Times in 328 Posts
I’m glad you found it, and thanks for letting us know. Another week and folks here would’ve completed their imagined bike build, boxed and shipped it.

By the way, I keep reading your thread title on my mobile like this: “My fiancee got hit by a car. Now I'm trying to replace her..”

Last edited by panzerwagon; 09-27-22 at 07:52 PM.
Likes For panzerwagon:
Old 09-27-22, 06:43 PM
Mad Honk 

Bikes: Paramount, Faggin, Ochsner, Ciocc, Basso

Mentioned: 115 Post(s)
Quoted: 1301 Post(s)
Liked 1,903 Times in 1,137 Posts
panzerwag,
Your phone is killing me!
nswartsell: You should check into your home owners insurance to see if they might cover the costs of the replacement parts to see her made whole. Many companies will cover costs of hit and run types of accidents for the cyclist. the LBS should create a list of parts and consumables that were damaged and give you a price for the replacements. When I worked full time in a shop I did numerous appraisals for damage that were almost always compensated for the cyclist. Glad you found the frame and can rebuild it. Smiles, MH
Old 09-28-22, 01:01 PM
retroshifter
too many bikes

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Liked 30 Times in 16 Posts
Thank you all for your incredible kindness! Our LBS got in contact today and told us someone found her bike on the side of the road and brought it into the shop. We'd posted a lot on social media so I guess the finder recognized it. LBS checked it out and the frame appears straight/rideable though some components are gonna need some attention. Crazy. We're very glad to have it back.
What a fantastic ending to this story!! Good Samaritan finds bike and takes the effort to bring it to a shop and the shop takes the effort to track you down. You live in a town with some great people, except for the hit and run driver who started this story.

I really enjoyed this thread.
Old 09-28-22, 01:38 PM
CliffordK

Mentioned: 217 Post(s)
Quoted: 18352 Post(s)
Liked 4,502 Times in 3,346 Posts
Glad the bike was recovered. Check the frame for alignment (which can be adjusted).

Post some photos, and an inventory of what needs replaced.
Old 09-28-22, 02:32 PM
cyclophilia 

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 72 Post(s)
Liked 101 Times in 63 Posts
Please do post a photograph of the full drive-side of the recovered Crescent...

along with a list of needed parts for the repairs.

Some of our members might surprise you with donated parts.
Likes For cyclophilia: