Notices
Classic and Vintage Bicycles: Whats it Worth? Appraisals. Use this subforum for all requests as to "How much is this vintage bike worth?"Do NOT try to sell it in here, use the Marketplaces.

Late 80's/early 90's Klein Quantum

Old 11-18-21, 10:55 PM
DMC707

Bikes: Too many to list

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1765 Post(s)
Liked 1,123 Times in 746 Posts
Late 80's/early 90's Klein Quantum

Moved thread to C&V --- making this a new project

New project- colorful Klein - Bike Forums

Last edited by DMC707; 11-19-21 at 10:52 AM.
Old 11-19-21, 01:17 AM
hose
Miyata Mike

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 70 Post(s)
Liked 67 Times in 46 Posts
$300?
Old 11-19-21, 09:02 AM
DMC707

Originally Posted by hose
$300?

That ................ would have been a deal ! - I paid exactly twice that.

Sadly i woke up and looked at Klein prices on Ebay. Predictably they are all over the map with some folks asking 2k but mostly they are sub 1k , with asking prices between 500 and 8 or 900$ --- I need to figure out how to tell what the "sold" prices are . But i cant cry about it now -- its parked in my office.

Some of the mountain bikes can get up there though -- probably the Jerry Seinfeld TV show tie in
Old 11-19-21, 11:37 AM
bargainguy

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 516 Post(s)
Liked 305 Times in 188 Posts
On ebay, click on Advanced just to the right of the Search button in the upper right corner, then tick the "Search including" box indicating Sold Listings. Type in your search terms and off you go.

If memory serves, you must have an ebay account and be signed in to get into the Advanced function.

$600 for a complete Klein is fine. No need to overthink whether you paid too much. If you're happy, all good.
Likes For bargainguy:
Old 11-19-21, 01:39 PM
jamesdak 

Bikes: Paletti,Pinarello Monviso,Duell Vienna,Giordana XL Super,Lemond Maillot Juane.& custom,PDG Paramount,Fuji Opus III,Davidson Impulse,Pashley Guv'nor,Evans,Fishlips,Y-Foil,Softride, Tetra Pro, CAAD8 Optimo,

Mentioned: 156 Post(s)
Quoted: 2323 Post(s)
Liked 4,933 Times in 1,763 Posts
Not sure of value on yours's but in my book you did just fine. Especially for the wonderful paint scheme!

As a comparison I can offer up mine and what I paid. From the original post on it:

"Anyway, it's a 55cm frame with a mix of Campagnolo parts. Record 10 Speed Ergo shifters, Chorus crank, Chorus RD, Centaur FD and brakes. Mavic Kyserium SL wheels round things out. Everything seems to work fine although the rear brake lever is not retracting cleaning, it's like there's some drag somewhere so that it returns slowly. I'll need to dig into that.

Otherwise, it sadly had that Wound Up fork on it vs the stock one. Bike weighed 18 lbs 3 ozs as I got it. Cleaned it up, swapped the saddle, pedals and tires and then added two alloy bottle cages. It gained 2 ozs with the changes.

The paint shows some paint chips as to be expected with a bike of this age but overall the paint is beautiful and a little paint polish and wax really brought out the shine. I've noticed one tiny ding on the top tube that's really hard to see."

Issues for me were the original fork missing (still sad in some ways about that) and the cut off seat tube. But the seller was asking $350 and if I remember correctly I paid $50 less. I figured with those wheels and the other parts all was good at that price, value wise. And if it had the original fork and uncut seatpost I wouldn't have blinked at $450.

That said, understanding how great these ride now I see no issue at all with what you paid and would consider it a bargain. Right now today I wouldn't let this bike go for $600 and you have the original fork and "unmodified" frame. You did just fine!

How I picked mine up, seatpost slammed, funky colored clamp, stem dangerously high, sticky brake housings, uncomfortable bars, etc.

How I'm running it now. Upgraded Campagnolo Record brake calipers, new housings and cables,new chain, new cassette, new Deda bars and tape, mint Fizik Alliante carbon saddle, new Conti GP 5000s tires. Oh and yesterday I finally swapped out that funky pink clamp with an annodized blue Wolftooth one that matches much better.

We all value things differently and obviously the market rules. Just sharing for you to draw your own conclusions. To me, despite being "Mr. Steel is Real", this is a fine riding bike and worth quite a bit of money.
Old 11-19-21, 01:50 PM
jamesdak 

Bikes: Paletti,Pinarello Monviso,Duell Vienna,Giordana XL Super,Lemond Maillot Juane.& custom,PDG Paramount,Fuji Opus III,Davidson Impulse,Pashley Guv'nor,Evans,Fishlips,Y-Foil,Softride, Tetra Pro, CAAD8 Optimo,

Mentioned: 156 Post(s)
Quoted: 2323 Post(s)
Liked 4,933 Times in 1,763 Posts
Adding this in case you don't know the Klein catalogs are available.

Trek, Fisher, Klein, Lemond bike catalogs, bicycle brochures

Check out the 1992 one first. Looks like your color was an option for the first time that year. Didn't dig any deeper than that to see if it's a full match.
Old 11-19-21, 04:09 PM
DMC707

Originally Posted by jamesdak
Adding this in case you don't know the Klein catalogs are available.

Trek, Fisher, Klein, Lemond bike catalogs, bicycle brochures

Check out the 1992 one first. Looks like your color was an option for the first time that year. Didn't dig any deeper than that to see if it's a full match.

Thank you James ! Thats really cool!
Old 11-19-21, 04:12 PM
DMC707

Originally Posted by jamesdak
Not sure of value on yours's but in my book you did just fine. Especially for the wonderful paint scheme!

As a comparison I can offer up mine and what I paid. From the original post on it:

"Anyway, it's a 55cm frame with a mix of Campagnolo parts. Record 10 Speed Ergo shifters, Chorus crank, Chorus RD, Centaur FD and brakes. Mavic Kyserium SL wheels round things out. Everything seems to work fine although the rear brake lever is not retracting cleaning, it's like there's some drag somewhere so that it returns slowly. I'll need to dig into that.

Otherwise, it sadly had that Wound Up fork on it vs the stock one. Bike weighed 18 lbs 3 ozs as I got it. Cleaned it up, swapped the saddle, pedals and tires and then added two alloy bottle cages. It gained 2 ozs with the changes.

The paint shows some paint chips as to be expected with a bike of this age but overall the paint is beautiful and a little paint polish and wax really brought out the shine. I've noticed one tiny ding on the top tube that's really hard to see."

Issues for me were the original fork missing (still sad in some ways about that) and the cut off seat tube. But the seller was asking $350 and if I remember correctly I paid $50 less. I figured with those wheels and the other parts all was good at that price, value wise. And if it had the original fork and uncut seatpost I wouldn't have blinked at $450.

That said, understanding how great these ride now I see no issue at all with what you paid and would consider it a bargain. Right now today I wouldn't let this bike go for $600 and you have the original fork and "unmodified" frame. You did just fine!

How I picked mine up, seatpost slammed, funky colored clamp, stem dangerously high, sticky brake housings, uncomfortable bars, etc.

How I'm running it now. Upgraded Campagnolo Record brake calipers, new housings and cables,new chain, new cassette, new Deda bars and tape, mint Fizik Alliante carbon saddle, new Conti GP 5000s tires. Oh and yesterday I finally swapped out that funky pink clamp with an annodized blue Wolftooth one that matches much better.

We all value things differently and obviously the market rules. Just sharing for you to draw your own conclusions. To me, despite being "Mr. Steel is Real", this is a fine riding bike and worth quite a bit of money.

I wouldve been salivating if that paint scheme had popped up also ! They also had one that was an orange fade that was very cool too. ---- but i can never forget the White, Pink and Green paint scheme on the mountain bikes

Thanks for helping me feel better about spending money on myself a month out from Christmas ! These forums have an enabling spirit
Old 11-19-21, 08:01 PM
wrk101
Thrifty Bill

Bikes: 86 Katakura Silk, 87 Prologue X2, 88 Cimarron LE, 1975 Sekai 4000 Professional, 73 Paramount, plus more

Mentioned: 96 Post(s)
Quoted: 1236 Post(s)
Liked 964 Times in 628 Posts
Kleins are all about the paint. The more dramatic, the higher the price. Add Dura Ace 7400 parts, and a color matched fork, I think $600 is fine. Now for a single color Klein, not so much. 7400 group is easily worth $300 plus alone (condition dependent).

Personally, I'd put FMV on the OP bike higher than $600, and I'm usually the lower price guy!

$300? I would be leaving skid marks getting that kind of deal!

Now the Klein MTBs in flamboyant paint? Those are RED HOT!

I "kind of sort of" have a Klein right now, a Schwinn Ontare. I've had a couple of Kleins pass through my hands, wrong size. Nothing as nice as the OP's.

Last edited by wrk101; 11-20-21 at 06:42 AM.
Old 11-19-21, 11:01 PM
DMC707

Originally Posted by wrk101
Kleins are all about the paint. The more dramatic, the higher the price. Add Dura Ace 7400 parts, and a color matched fork, I think $600 is fine. Now for a single color Klein, not so much. 7400 group is worth $300 plus alone (condition dependent).

Personally, I'd put FMV on the OP bike higher than $600, and I'm usually the lower price guy!

$300? I would be leaving skid marks getting that kind of deal!

Now the Klein MTBs in flamboyant paint? Those are RED HOT!

I "kind of sort of" have a Klein right now, a Schwinn Ontare. I've had a couple of Kleins pass through my hands, wrong size. Nothing as nice as the OP's.
Between you and JAmesdak, i feel better -- the motivating factor for me was the bike is the right size ------- but ive literally never done a transaction that fast on a bicycle in my life -- LOL --- i saw the ad , contacted the lady and was hitting an ATM within 15 minutes and had it in my car within an hour --- On the drive home i was going - EEEEK

Im laughing now thinking i was sweating that because its all fun though. My background from long ago was trying to race these things -- in my area, for the most part, you lined up on either a Cannondale or a Specialized Epic (i was looking at one of those a few days ago too but glad i held my wallet close as i really wanted one of the fastback seatstay Allez's )
Anyway --- go to a criterium today and its largely the same -- a sea of Specialized Tarmacs. Great bikes too. But back then, nobody ever showed up with a sweet Colnago or Pinarello or anything close ---- but occasionally you'd see a Klein --and then with the Klein MTB being in the background of the Seinfeld show plus the colorful mountain bikes Tinker Juarez rode - they really commanded attention .

If i can learn to ride DT shifters again, i may keep the darn thing as is - but its an interesting bike to me as it has a 1992 color, but the builkd kit on the bike matches the 1990 version with the exception that someone ditched the tubulars for clinchers long ago -- but i thought it was cool that the 1990 Dura Ace Klein specc'ed tubulars.
Also, i dont know when the Trek buyout occurred, but those early years, there mentions a lot of Specialized stuff -- (tires, bottle cages etc) - where i would have thought Trek managed stuff would have had Matrix or "System 1 " or whatever Trek was doing back then for its house brand stuff

And im hoping this will be a fun bit of trivia -- but for about a year or two - the green Klein was replaced with a Cannondale Killer V -- but after a fashion -- it was gone and the Klein was back -- Im guessing Cannondale took notice and threw a few bucks at it for a little bit.

Last edited by DMC707; 11-19-21 at 11:09 PM.