Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Things spotted in the bike shop...

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Things spotted in the bike shop...

Search this Thread

Old 10-21-20, 07:44 AM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Giant OCR A1; SOMA Double Cross Disc; 2022 Allez Elite mit der SRAM

Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8186 Post(s)
Liked 9,098 Times in 5,054 Posts
Originally Posted by Milton Keynes
Kill it with fire! I'm not afraid of snakes but I don't like copperheads.

Well, when the best one can say for them is "their bite is rarely fatal", liking would be a rather odd reaction.
Likes For livedarklions:
Old 10-21-20, 09:54 AM
Chuckles1

Bikes: 2007 Motobecane Fantom Cross Expert, 2020 Motobecane Omni Strada Pro Disc (700c gravel bike), 2021 Motobecane Elite Adventure with Bafang 500W rear hub drive

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 174 Post(s)
Liked 143 Times in 94 Posts
Maybe you can train it to tuck in and act as a hub cleaner while you ride.
Likes For Chuckles1:
Old 10-21-20, 04:23 PM
thumpism 
Bikes are okay, I guess.

Bikes: Waterford Paramount Touring, Giant CFM-2, Raleigh Sports 3-speeds in M23 & L23, Schwinn Cimarron oddball build, Marin Palisades Trail dropbar conversion, Nishiki Cresta GT

Mentioned: 69 Post(s)
Quoted: 2647 Post(s)
Liked 2,446 Times in 1,557 Posts
Originally Posted by Milton Keynes
Kill it with fire! I'm not afraid of snakes but I don't like copperheads.
We're not overly fond of them but we moved into their neighborhood, not them into ours. We've seen about a dozen since we moved here several years ago and we tend to live and let live, snakewise. The one pictured had the chance to strike several times as my wife worked in that area of the den and it did not, so we figured it earned a pass. I nudged it into a bucket and dumped it out down the hill behind the house.

They are beautiful critters.
Old 10-21-20, 04:32 PM
Russ Roth

Bikes: 2010 Carrera Volans, 2015 C-Dale Trail 2sl, 2017 Raleigh Rush Hour, 2017 Blue Proseccio, 1992 Giant Perigee, 80s Gitane Rallye Tandem

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 1088 Post(s)
Liked 1,024 Times in 723 Posts
Originally Posted by brandenjs
Yes, very good to keep around. We also have a pretty good population of black rat snakes around the property. They are not quite as tiny as this one. I've spotted a couple over 6' long. As long as we don't surprise each other we get along just fine.
Last house had some king rat snakes living under the barn that easily cleared 6' in length, scary looking monsters but harmless. We did have copperheads in the region so I kept the rat snakes since I understand they eat the poisonous snakes and it'd take a big poisonous snake to do those suckers in.

Also had snakes like the one in your wheel that somehow every winter managed to sneak into the basement. I'd put all new siding and sealing on the outside, and new basement doors and windows in but somehow they got through 2' thick basement walls. Killed a couple by accident by stepping on one and dropping a log on another but mostly let them be and threw them out in the spring. Didn't have any mice in the house though and even the barn had a low mouse count.
Likes For Russ Roth: