Search this Thread

Old 01-11-21, 11:16 AM
doubravsky 

Bikes: Colnago Crystal, GT MTB, Fuji D6 TT bike, Breezer Beltway commuter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 9 Posts
I would echo the comments that the route up the 38 is much less stressful, at least in my experience. As to weather, it just depends on the year. If you keep an eye on it and there hasn't been any rain/snow in the last few weeks, you should be good.
Old 01-11-21, 01:43 PM
Tycho Brahe 

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 242 Post(s)
Liked 94 Times in 67 Posts
If going up the 18, there is a side road called Old Waterman Canyon, which runs about 3 miles mostly parallel. Shorter, but steeper. I have done both, and both have their pros and cons. Definitely avoid the 330.
Old 01-11-21, 09:49 PM
diphthong
velo-dilettante

Bikes: 85 pinarello treviso steel, 88 nishiki olympic steel. 95 look kg 131 carbon, 11 trek madone 5.2 carbon

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 1628 Post(s)
Liked 3,114 Times in 1,683 Posts
Originally Posted by siapin
Hi everyone, I'm new here, enjoying the forum! I'm considering a ~100mi ride in March from OC up to BB. By the comments, looks like my best bet is up the 38 or 18 (I've never rode San Bern). Strava shows guys do it, but I'm trying to consider how brutal the weather typically is March time? Any input appreciated.

what part of oc? theoretically, you'd be doing the climb up to big bear early/mid-afternoon with a sunrise start in oc. i would recommend doing the 18/old waterman cyn/18 route since it'll likely be more direct) from most of oc and possible routes within your parameters) and i find it more scenic. there's more support along that stretch as well.

traffic is a tossup. less traffic on the 38 but it's longer and will take you past big bear before it swings back around, involve more climbing, less support and gets up to 8,400 feet. more commuter traffic on the 18 but the sightlines are better and there are plenty of turnouts along the way. the 18 enroute gets up to just above 7,100 feet before a (mostly) descent to big bear. i'd probably look to do your ride in april or may vs march but if it's a low snow year then march is realistically doable id you're okay bringing a windbreaker, arm/knee warmers, gloves and a skullcap since high temps will prob be in the upper 40's-low 60's in the mtns in march on a low snow year.

personally, i'd try to daytrip the san berdoos part just so you know exactly what you're getting yourself into. trying to finish a century ride late in the afternoon on unfamiliar roads with decent traffic and climbing is a potentially bad situation. first part of this posted ride might give you a better idea. i'm not the fastest and not the slowest but closer to the slow side-esp with stopping to take pics. it's 34.5 miles from the bottom of the 18 to the western end of big bear lake via the 18.

https://www.strava.com/activities/3353356330

Last edited by diphthong; 01-11-21 at 09:52 PM.
Old 01-12-21, 11:11 AM
CAT7RDR

Bikes: 1999 Schwinn Peloton Ultegra 10, Kestrel RT-1000 Ultegra, Trek Marlin 6 Deore 29'er

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 822 Post(s)
Liked 1,960 Times in 943 Posts
Do you have any proposed routes yet from the OC?

Originally Posted by siapin
Hi everyone, I'm new here, enjoying the forum! I'm considering a ~100mi ride in March from OC up to BB. By the comments, looks like my best bet is up the 38 or 18 (I've never rode San Bern). Strava shows guys do it, but I'm trying to consider how brutal the weather typically is March time? Any input appreciated.