Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Prices online versus prices in S E Asia

Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Old 06-16-21, 07:45 AM
alo

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 529 Post(s)
Liked 255 Times in 185 Posts

I have bought a number of things from shops in S E Asia. I looked online to see how much the same items cost.

The shops I bought from are shops which supply mechanics and bike shops, and are also open to the public. The shops are a bit like distributors, and a bit like retailers. It seems they just get in the cheapest products, which is what people here want. They don't have a large selection.

Item 1: Derailleur - made in China.

This derailleur is US$2.25 in the shop.

On Ebay it is normally US$10.20, but now discounted 5% to $9.69. Free shipping is included.

I did not find it on Amazon.

Item 2: Shimano Tourney derailleur. Probably not genuine Shimano.

In the shop, this is US$3.75.

On Ebay this is US$14.99, plus $5.99 postage, totalling $20.98.

On Amazon the same derailleur is not Shimano. It is $17.99. Shipping is extra, and how much depends on where you have it shipped to.

It is possible that two different companies make the same derailleur. It is more likely that none of them are made by Shimano.

It kind of makes sense. Shipping probably costs much more than manufacturing.

It would cost even more to buy the same items in a shop in the US or another country.
Old 06-16-21, 01:38 PM
shelbyfv
Expired Member

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 3637 Post(s)
Liked 5,311 Times in 2,699 Posts
Again.....
Likes For shelbyfv:
Old 06-16-21, 01:44 PM
VegasTriker

Bikes: Catrike 700, Greenspeed GTO trike, , Linear LWB recumbent, Haluzak Horizon SWB recumbent, Balance 450 MTB, Cannondale SM800 Beast of the East

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 521 Post(s)
Liked 227 Times in 179 Posts
Are you sure you made the currency conversions correctly? I doubt there is a shop anywhere in the US that sells new derailleurs for the prices you quoted. It is quite possible to buy a Shimano Tourney 6 speed RD from China for $12.59 with free shipping to the US https://www.ebay.com/itm/353426388646. Just expect it to take up to a month or more to get here. My Deore level RD is stamped made in Japan but I wouldn't be surprised if Shimano was making the cheaper one in China. Shimano sells worldwide so Chinese sellers may be buying them in bulk from Shimano and reselling them online.

BTW that first RD pictured looks like it was copied from the cheapest RDs available 50 years ago in the US. The closest thing is a $15 Sunrace.
Old 06-16-21, 01:46 PM
icemilkcoffee 

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 1538 Post(s)
Liked 1,696 Times in 953 Posts
I am guessing the one that is labeled Shimano is in fact Shimano. The one labeled TZ is obviously not.
Old 06-16-21, 01:58 PM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 210 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18318 Post(s)
Liked 15,277 Times in 7,225 Posts
Originally Posted by icemilkcoffee
I am guessing the one that is labeled Shimano is in fact Shimano. The one labeled TZ is obviously not.
They all looks counterfeit.

See, e.g.:

RD-TZ50-GS (shimano.com)

Notice difference in, among other things, the cages between the one from the official Shimano site and the crap posted near the top.

At least they spelled Shimano correctly. That is not always the case.

Another B.S. thread by the OP.

Last edited by indyfabz; 06-16-21 at 02:05 PM.
Likes For indyfabz:
Old 06-16-21, 02:50 PM
mstateglfr 
Sunshine

Bikes: '18 class built steel roadbike, '19 Fairlight Secan, '88 Schwinn Premis , Black Mountain Cycles Monstercross V4, '89 Novara Trionfo

Mentioned: 123 Post(s)
Quoted: 10898 Post(s)
Liked 7,387 Times in 4,146 Posts
OP- what is your point. Are you happy that stuff is cheaper? Are you angry stuff is costlier? Are you wishing legit product cost as little as gray market product?
What is the takeaway here?
Likes For mstateglfr:
Old 06-16-21, 03:25 PM
pdlamb

Bikes: Fuji Touring, Novara Randonee

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 2575 Post(s)
Liked 1,900 Times in 1,192 Posts
Originally Posted by indyfabz
They all looks counterfeit.

See, e.g.:

RD-TZ50-GS (shimano.com)

Notice difference in, among other things, the cages between the one from the official Shimano site and the crap posted near the top.
Counterfeit parts would explain a lot. I wonder if there's a "high-end" bike shop near O.P. that sells real Shimano parts, or has Gresham's law taken care of that possibility?
Old 06-16-21, 03:52 PM
Rick

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 597 Post(s)
Liked 374 Times in 261 Posts
My last 13 months in the Army were in Germany. The cost of bicycles and parts were considerably cheaper. This was all brands from high to low. They used the Deutsch Mark then, not the Euro. When I purchased a high dollar item like a complete bicycle or some block flutes. I was allowed to not pay there thirteen percent tax. Even without paying the tax. There is a considerable difference in prices today.
Old 06-16-21, 04:26 PM
alo

If you compare the one for sale here, with the Shimano website.

1. It has a different hanger. But there may have been two models.

2. It is much longer, for more gears.

3. The manual shows how to replace the top jockey wheel. The top jockey wheel is not replaceable on the one here. It is on the same shaft as the pivot, and is riveted.

So unless Shimano made variations to their design, it is counterfeit. There are a lot of counterfeit parts here, and nobody cares. I am sure there are a lot in America too.
Old 06-16-21, 04:36 PM
alo

Originally Posted by mstateglfr
OP- what is your point. Are you happy that stuff is cheaper? Are you angry stuff is costlier? Are you wishing legit product cost as little as gray market product?
What is the takeaway here?
Just sharing, so readers can be aware of how things are in another part of the world. I am not expecting anything to change, except with inflation.

I am happy I can buy things cheaply here.

Reading other topics, it seems North America has a greater shortage of bikes and parts than most parts of the world. It seems bikes and parts are more expensive in North America, than most parts of the world.
Old 06-16-21, 04:41 PM
shelbyfv
Expired Member

Quoted: 3637 Post(s)
Liked 5,311 Times in 2,699 Posts
Originally Posted by alo
There are a lot of counterfeit parts here, and nobody cares. I am sure there are a lot in America too.
I think this is incorrect. Surely there are legitimate cyclists there in Manila (or wherever) who do care about what they ride. OP just rides with a different group. In the US, you can certainly see that sort of stuff for sale on the "Ali" type sites but I've never known anyone who would buy it.
Likes For shelbyfv:
Old 06-16-21, 04:44 PM
indyfabz

Originally Posted by alo
If you compare the one for sale here, with the Shimano website.

1. It has a different hanger. But there may have been two models.

2. It is much longer, for more gears.

3. The manual shows how to replace the top jockey wheel. The top jockey wheel is not replaceable on the one here. It is on the same shaft as the pivot, and is riveted.

So unless Shimano made variations to their design, it is counterfeit. There are a lot of counterfeit parts here, and nobody cares. I am sure there are a lot in America too.
Translation: It’s fake, which explains the cost. What’s your point? (That is a rhetorical question.)

Last edited by indyfabz; 06-16-21 at 08:06 PM.
Likes For indyfabz:
Old 06-16-21, 07:50 PM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Bikes: Foundry Chilkoot Ti W/Ultegra Di2, Salsa Timberjack Ti, Cinelli Mash Work RandoCross Fun Time Machine, 1x9 XT Parts Hybrid, Co-Motion Cascadia, Specialized Langster, Phil Wood Apple VeloXS Frame (w/DA 7400), R+M Supercharger2 Rohloff, Habanero Ti 26

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 4251 Post(s)
Liked 3,864 Times in 2,578 Posts
Fake stuff is cheaper? WHAAAAAAAAAT???? REEEEEEEAAAAAALLY********** NO!?!?!?

I don't get your threads, dude or dudette or non-gender affiliated du-based organism? I really don't do you think the people on this forum don't understand the world is different? Are we that dumb in your mind or are you just trying to justify buying cheap fakes because you have loads of money to buy derailleurs constantly rather than buy quality and maintain it like a normal person would. You do realize that dust, dirt, grit, grime, mud...all exist outside of S.E. Asia and there a plenty of people who ride through similar or worse conditions? I mean you do know that there are other parts of the world right that aren't just America and South East Asia and not all of South East Asia is the same and can be lumped together aside from the fact they all pretty much have really excellent food (though truth be told I haven't had food from Brunei, East Timor or Myanmar nor have been to SE Asia).

I cannot imagine how poorly those fake derailleurs imitating Tourney designs (some older tourney designs) shift. I mean if you are going to fake something why fake garbage? I want to see a fake Dera-Ace or Duro-Ace or Durace or ZTR or YTR or some Crumpanolo Supor Rekords?
Likes For veganbikes:
Old 06-16-21, 07:56 PM
Troul 

Bikes: RSO E-tire dropper fixie brifter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 2,909 Times in 1,884 Posts
i'd be tempted by a Dura-Face D!2.
Old 06-16-21, 07:59 PM
Koyote

Quoted: 6881 Post(s)
Liked 10,871 Times in 4,636 Posts
tl:dr: cheap stuff costs less.
Likes For Koyote:
Old 06-16-21, 08:07 PM
indyfabz

Originally Posted by Koyote
tl:dr: cheap stuff costs less.
It’s a shame what this site lets some members get away with.
Likes For indyfabz:
Old 06-16-21, 08:15 PM
Koyote

Originally Posted by veganbikes
Fake stuff is cheaper? WHAAAAAAAAAT???? REEEEEEEAAAAAALLY********** NO!?!?!?

I don't get your threads, dude or dudette or non-gender affiliated du-based organism? I really don't do you think the people on this forum don't understand the world is different? Are we that dumb in your mind or are you just trying to justify buying cheap fakes because you have loads of money to buy derailleurs constantly rather than buy quality and maintain it like a normal person would. You do realize that dust, dirt, grit, grime, mud...all exist outside of S.E. Asia and there a plenty of people who ride through similar or worse conditions? I mean you do know that there are other parts of the world right that aren't just America and South East Asia and not all of South East Asia is the same and can be lumped together aside from the fact they all pretty much have really excellent food (though truth be told I haven't had food from Brunei, East Timor or Myanmar nor have been to SE Asia).

I cannot imagine how poorly those fake derailleurs imitating Tourney designs (some older tourney designs) shift. I mean if you are going to fake something why fake garbage? I want to see a fake Dera-Ace or Duro-Ace or Durace or ZTR or YTR or some Crumpanolo Supor Rekords?
I give this rant an A+. Solid effort.
Likes For Koyote:
Old 06-16-21, 08:19 PM
Troul 

Originally Posted by indyfabz
It’s a shame what this site lets some members get away with.
think of all the pent up ranting if certain threads never existed.
Old 06-16-21, 08:25 PM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Bikes: Foundry Chilkoot Ti W/Ultegra Di2, Salsa Timberjack Ti, Cinelli Mash Work RandoCross Fun Time Machine, 1x9 XT Parts Hybrid, Co-Motion Cascadia, Specialized Langster, Phil Wood Apple VeloXS Frame (w/DA 7400), R+M Supercharger2 Rohloff, Habanero Ti 26

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 4251 Post(s)
Liked 3,864 Times in 2,578 Posts
Originally Posted by Koyote
I give this rant an A+. Solid effort.
Why, thank you! I try to give the good people of this forum a solid Ivy League rant because I went to Yale (the lock maker)

If people want the TL : DR version SE Asian food is delicious and cheap fake derailleurs are not.
Old 06-16-21, 08:30 PM
Troul 

If people want the TL : DR version SE Asian food is delicious and cheap fake derailleurs are not.
they both last about the same amount of time before it becomes poop.
Old 06-16-21, 08:58 PM
Koyote

Why, thank you! I try to give the good people of this forum a solid Ivy League rant because I went to Yale (the lock maker)
I went through Harvard. In the back of a squad car.
Likes For Koyote: