Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Do you replace your rim strip regularly?

Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Old 07-12-21, 07:51 AM
atnyc

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 64 Post(s)
Liked 25 Times in 17 Posts

I've been cycling (both road and mountain) regularly for a long time. Every weekend in the summer, you'll find me on either my road bike, my mountain bike, or my gravel bike!

I pride myself in keeping my (relatively dated) bikes in good condition. As my bikes has been working quite well, I have little motivation to buy new bikes. The result is almost all of my day-to-day bikes are 10+ year old.

I'm a relative light weight (100lb dripping wet). So I don't have much flats. I average maybe 1 flat every 3-4 years on road, a bit more often off road due to thorns and rocks.

Recently, I had TWO flats back to back, on 2 different bikes. Both were from rim strips pulling away from the hole for the valve. In both cases, the exposed edge of the hole slowly ate into the inner tube at the base of the valve stem, eventually the valve stem broke off.

My question for those of you who keeps bikes for more than just 2-3 years, have you seen that being an issue? Do you replace your rim strips after x years/miles as a regular maintains item?
Old 07-12-21, 08:10 AM
3alarmer 
Friendship is Magic

Bikes: old ones

Mentioned: 304 Post(s)
Quoted: 26247 Post(s)
Liked 10,229 Times in 7,098 Posts
...no. Once properly installed. I don't experience this issue, unless I screw up the rim strip removing/installing a tyre to replace it or repair a flat. One of the reasons I use a tyre bead jack, instead off tyre irons, to perform this tyre installation is exactly this. I'm fearful of pushing the rim strip over a little bit in a place or two leading to eventual tube failure because of the exposed portion of the hole in the rim.

But replacing the strip regularly won't do much to preclude this. AFAIK, with the tyre and tube fully inflated, that rim strip isn't going to move. It happens when you flddle with the tyre beads, poking around in the dark in there.
Likes For 3alarmer:
Old 07-12-21, 08:13 AM
hydrocarbon

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 30 Post(s)
Liked 23 Times in 18 Posts
Hell, no. In my experience, rim strip failure is always a fit and/or quality issue, not an aging issue. If you get the good tough stretchy-plastic stuff in the right width from Schwalbe or whatever, they'll basically last forever.

Besides, rim strips aren't designed to protect the valve stem from abrasion on the rim exge in the first place. Sounds like a misaligned valve due to incorrect installation, and/or or riding with an underinflated tire which allows it to displace slightly around the rim under hard braking and drag the tube with it. You could also try rounding off the sharp drilled valve hole edge in the rim with a Dremel tool or something to reduce the likelihood of future incidents.
Old 07-12-21, 08:23 AM
Crankycrank

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 835 Post(s)
Liked 1,054 Times in 740 Posts
Some non-adhesive rim strips such as the plastic or rubber types can, but not always, drift off center over time especially if they're the wrong size and some rims are worse than others. I get enough flats to notice if the strip is in place or not but, just a random recommendation, I would check every 6 months or so for piece of mind. Personally I prefer the cloth adhesive types such as Velox or Newbaum's since they last forever, are less likely to drift, don't develop cracks over the spoke holes and are easier to remove and replace if you need to get at your spoke nipples. I believe I've had one set of Velox's on my #1 bike for about 8 years and 24K miles and removed and put back on again 1 or 2 times with no problems. If you have very tight fitting tires and rim strips that sit under the tire bead, thin plastic types can give a little more room to make tire mounting easier though.
Old 07-12-21, 08:39 AM
himespau 

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quoted: 4196 Post(s)
Liked 2,911 Times in 1,780 Posts
I use 2 wraps of 1-2 mill Kapton tape. Stays in place and doesn't cause problems. I haven't ever removed it. Other tape, when I change tires, it I've seen it's moved or wrinkled, I replace it with the Kapton tape. If it hasn't wrinkled/shifted I leave it alone. That Velox stuff seems to last forever and doesn't really shift. I'd use that on all my wheels, but generic Kapton tape on eBay, I got probably a lifetime supply in 2 different widths for the cost of a couple rolls (one wheel each) of the velox. Those rubber snap on strips, I'd remove right away and replace with something else if I saw them on any of my wheels. Unlike 3alarmer , I don't have massive handstrength from being a retired firefighter, so I'm using a mixture of levers and jacks every time. So far, I haven't shifted any of the tape I've put down but do wonder about the shifts/wrinkles in the old stuff I find on used wheels.
Old 07-12-21, 08:43 AM
ClydeClydeson

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 580 Post(s)
Liked 921 Times in 518 Posts
I have had failures of the tight-fitting plastic rimstrips, but only on high pressure tire/wheel combos (road bikes) and only after years of use and being stored outside (freeze/thaw cycles). I switched to Fond de Jante model X073A (Velox), which is thicker fabric and can make tire installation a bit more difficult, but better protects the tube from the spokes long term.
Old 07-12-21, 08:45 AM
Steve B.

Bikes: Flyxii FR322, Cannondale Topstone, Miyata City Liner, Specialized Chisel, Specialized Epic Evo

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 3185 Post(s)
Liked 2,020 Times in 1,158 Posts
No
Old 07-12-21, 08:54 AM
Phil_gretz
Zip tie Karen

Bikes: '13 Motobecane Fantom29 HT, '16 Motobecane Turino Pro Disc, '18 Velobuild VB-R-022, '21 Tsunami SNM-100

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 1465 Post(s)
Liked 1,542 Times in 806 Posts
I do replace rim strips when/if I service a wheel that I haven't owned before. Velox or strong cloth equivalent, like the Forte-branded counterfeit. Proper width matters.

After that, you can forget about that problem.
Likes For Phil_gretz:
Old 07-12-21, 08:58 AM
HillRider

Bikes: '96 Litespeed Catalyst, '05 Litespeed Firenze, '06 Litespeed Tuscany, '20 Surly Midnight Special, All are 3x10. It is hilly around here!

Mentioned: 39 Post(s)
Quoted: 2026 Post(s)
Liked 1,095 Times in 741 Posts
I use Velox rim tapes on all of my wheels and have never had to replace it for the life of the rim. I have two sets of wheels with 40,000+ miles each still using the rim tape applied when new.
Old 07-12-21, 09:01 AM
79pmooney

Bikes: (2) ti TiCycles, 2007 w/ triple and 2011 fixed, 1979 Peter Mooney, ~1983 Trek 420 now fixed and ~1973 Raleigh Carlton Competition gravel grinder

Mentioned: 128 Post(s)
Quoted: 4743 Post(s)
Liked 3,860 Times in 2,509 Posts
I've used the cloth, adhesive Velox tape for the past 50 (OMG!) years. I've probably had issues twice. I only replace it when I pull it off and it doesn't have enough stick to go back on. (It has outasted many spokes. I may have to pull it back to replace them. It also outlasts my winter rims and often goes onto the new one.

I am careful to match the rim tape width to the width of the rim trough but Velox offers so many widths that isn't hard.

There are lots of other rim tapes out there. I've heard some are excellent. My experience with Velox has been so good I have seen no reason to change. (Although a thinner tape would make mounting tires on very tight rims easier. I've so far managed to avoid those combinations.)
Old 07-12-21, 09:16 AM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

Bikes: Tarmac Disc Comp Di2 - 2020

Mentioned: 50 Post(s)
Quoted: 6100 Post(s)
Liked 4,732 Times in 3,262 Posts
IMO you spend more money doing preventive maintenance. But if being finicky and tinkering with your bike is more fun or adds to the fun of your cycling, then go for it. I'd rather be riding than fixing though.

There was a time that I use to completely disassemble, clean, lube, reassemble and adjust every part of my bikes monthly. Seems that at that time I was a little more than 100 pounds dripping wet. I also waxed my car weekly. The 70's are long gone for me.

I too have only had issues with rim tape a total of two times in over 50 years.
Old 07-12-21, 09:16 AM
Chuckles1

Bikes: 2007 Motobecane Fantom Cross Expert, 2020 Motobecane Omni Strada Pro Disc (700c gravel bike), 2021 Motobecane Elite Adventure with Bafang 500W rear hub drive

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 173 Post(s)
Liked 143 Times in 94 Posts
No, but I certainly inspect it when changing a tire or tube.
Likes For Chuckles1:
Old 07-12-21, 10:15 AM
atnyc

Originally Posted by Iride01
IMO you spend more money doing preventive maintenance. But if being finicky and tinkering with your bike is more fun or adds to the fun of your cycling, then go for it. I'd rather be riding than fixing though.
If preventive maintenance prevents mid-ride sitting on the side of road emergency repair, it's worth a whole lot more than the money & time spent!

There was a time that I use to completely disassemble, clean, lube, reassemble and adjust every part of my bikes monthly.
Now I would call THAT excessive!

I only do that once a year, in the winter. But rim strip wasn't on the list.

I too have only had issues with rim tape a total of two times in over 50 years.
Maybe I'm experiencing the 2 times back to back? (yes, I'm talking about... ok, only 3 decades).

Last edited by atnyc; 07-12-21 at 10:47 AM.
Old 07-12-21, 10:17 AM
atnyc

Originally Posted by Chuckles1
No, but I certainly inspect it when changing a tire or tube.
I think I like that approach. I'll make sure I do that going forward
Old 07-12-21, 10:36 AM
HillRider

Bikes: '96 Litespeed Catalyst, '05 Litespeed Firenze, '06 Litespeed Tuscany, '20 Surly Midnight Special, All are 3x10. It is hilly around here!

Mentioned: 39 Post(s)
Quoted: 2026 Post(s)
Liked 1,095 Times in 741 Posts
Originally Posted by Iride01
There was a time that I use to completely disassemble, clean, lube, reassemble and adjust every part of my bikes monthly. Seems that at that time I was a little more than 100 pounds dripping wet. I also waxed my car weekly. The 70's are long gone for me.
I completely disassemble, clean, lube and adjust every part of my bikes about every two years. I do chain lube and inspections a lot more frequently but these aren't big time sponges. I think I've waxed a car maybe three times in the past 5 decades!
Old 07-12-21, 02:13 PM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

Originally Posted by atnyc
Maybe I'm experiencing the 2 times back to back? (yes, I'm talking about... ok, only 3 decades).
Actually the two times I had problems with rim tape were back to back. Only about 10 years ago too. I went 40 years trouble free.

First time was the adhesive on the rim tape failed. Probably from cleaners and solvents used while cleaning the bike over it's many many years of age. The second times a week or so later was the poor installation of the person installing the rim tape. But at least I didn't have to go for that third times a charm thing. Got it correct the second try. <grin>
Old 07-12-21, 02:25 PM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

Originally Posted by HillRider
I completely disassemble, clean, lube and adjust every part of my bikes about every two years. I do chain lube and inspections a lot more frequently but these aren't big time sponges. I think I've waxed a car maybe three times in the past 5 decades!
Yeah, I got over the waxing car thing too when I quit being a teenager. But back in the 60's and 70's we didn't have BF to put us in front of a keyboard and display all day. So we had to have something to occupy our time.
Old 07-12-21, 02:25 PM
Chinghis

Bikes: Historical: Schwinn Speedster; Schwinn Collegiate; 1981 Ross Gran Tour; 1981 Dawes Atlantis; 1991 Specialized Rockhopper. Current: 1987 Ritchey Ultra; 1987 Centurion Ironman Dave Scott Master; 1992 Specialized Stumpjumper FS

Quoted: 207 Post(s)
Liked 178 Times in 111 Posts
Thanks goodness for most of the responses here. I saw the thread title and thought, "Crap, something else I'm supposed to pay attention to?!" I mean, I take a look at it when the tire is off, but that's about it.
Likes For Chinghis:
Old 07-12-21, 03:36 PM
andrewclaus

Bikes: 2016 Fuji Tread, 1983 Trek 520

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 669 Post(s)
Liked 725 Times in 422 Posts
The only time I've heard of a plastic rim strip failing is from overheating during extreme braking (with rim brakes, of course).

Once on tour I was replacing a spoke in front of a bike shop. The manager came out to chat, and told me I needed a new rim strip and he just gave me one. I had ridden that bike down some long steep hills so maybe I'd partially melted it.
Old 07-12-21, 04:04 PM
Pop N Wood

Bikes: 1982 Bianchi Sport SX, Rayleigh Tamland 1, Rans V-Rex recumbent, Fuji MTB, 80's Cannondale MTB with BBSHD ebike motor

Quoted: 667 Post(s)
Liked 529 Times in 355 Posts
I didn't use to until I had a rubber rim strip literally decompose inside the tire. The bike had gone unused for a while. of course got a flat 12 miles from home, the majority of the rim strip came out with the tube. Pieced together what I could of the strip, put in my spare tube and just made it home before it flatted again.

Picked up a gallon size zip lock bag of velox rim tape at a swap meet. No more rubber strips.
Old 07-12-21, 04:35 PM
DiabloScott
It's MY mountain

Bikes: Klein, Merckx, Trek

Mentioned: 70 Post(s)
Quoted: 4311 Post(s)
Liked 2,954 Times in 1,601 Posts
I don't think I've ever replaced a rim strip unless I was rebuilding the whole wheel. Even then sometimes I reuse.
Although I have added a second strip on top of the first one to cure mystery flats - Velox or Zefal.
Old 07-12-21, 04:38 PM
dsbrantjr

Bikes: '93 Trek 750, '92 Schwinn Crisscross, '93 Mongoose Alta

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 1438 Post(s)
Liked 1,092 Times in 723 Posts
I use Continental Easy Tape rim strips and have never had to replace one. They are thinner than Velox-type cloth tape so make tire mounting easier.
Old 07-14-21, 07:46 PM
atnyc

Thank you all for the replies. Sounds like it's just random coincidence that I had back to back rim strip failure on 2 different bikes within a month.
Old 07-14-21, 08:43 PM
JohnDThompson 
Old fart

Bikes: Several, mostly not name brands.

Mentioned: 153 Post(s)
Quoted: 3571 Post(s)
Liked 3,367 Times in 1,916 Posts
I only replace it if there's a problem. As others have noted above, non-adhesive rubber rim strips can slip out of place. I prefer the adhesive Velox rim tape. I have wheels over 40 years old with the original Velox rim tape I placed when I first built the wheels.
Old 07-14-21, 10:22 PM
CliffordK

Mentioned: 217 Post(s)
Quoted: 18320 Post(s)
Liked 4,489 Times in 3,338 Posts
Originally Posted by atnyc
Recently, I had TWO flats back to back, on 2 different bikes. Both were from rim strips pulling away from the hole for the valve. In both cases, the exposed edge of the hole slowly ate into the inner tube at the base of the valve stem, eventually the valve stem broke off.

My question for those of you who keeps bikes for more than just 2-3 years, have you seen that being an issue? Do you replace your rim strips after x years/miles as a regular maintains item?
Originally Posted by hydrocarbon
Hell, no. In my experience, rim strip failure is always a fit and/or quality issue, not an aging issue. If you get the good tough stretchy-plastic stuff in the right width from Schwalbe or whatever, they'll basically last forever.

Besides, rim strips aren't designed to protect the valve stem from abrasion on the rim exge in the first place. Sounds like a misaligned valve due to incorrect installation, and/or or riding with an underinflated tire which allows it to displace slightly around the rim under hard braking and drag the tube with it. You could also try rounding off the sharp drilled valve hole edge in the rim with a Dremel tool or something to reduce the likelihood of future incidents.
Rim tape can go bad. This was off of Mom's bike a couple of years ago. It probably was 40 years old.

I agree with @hydrocarbon, a failure at the valve is unlikely a rim tape problem. You may choose to deburr the valve hole. It should only take a few minutes with perhaps a chainsaw file and piece of sandpaper.

Make sure your valve is exactly perpendicular to the rim. If it is angled a bit, you can let the air out and carefully slide the tire until it is back straight.

Sometimes if a tire is underinflated, the tire will slide sightly and angle the valve again. So, a bad valve could be a secondary sign of a different flat.

Other than the rim tape above that absolutely disintegrated, my most common reason to replace rim tape is the rubber stiff that breaks at the valve.
Likes For CliffordK:

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.