Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Anybody thinking about cutting back on group rides b/c of Delta?

Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Anybody thinking about cutting back on group rides b/c of Delta?

Old 08-06-21, 04:50 PM
BHG6

Bikes: Bianchi Oltre XR4

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 67 Post(s)
Liked 202 Times in 73 Posts
Originally Posted by Kapusta
No, YOU need to read it again. She is talking about INFECTED vaccinated people compared to INFECTED unvaccinated people. .
You really thought I was talking about non-carriers of the virus? And you're calling me a troll?

Most infected people aren't aware of their own status. INFECTED VACCINATED people can transmit the virus just as easily as unvaccinated people. And despite what you may have heard, breakthrough cases aren't THAT rare. I personally know at least 5 people who have contracted the disease despite being vaccinated.

My question still stands - Why, since these vaccines are so highly effective, should you worry about getting infected from ANYONE, vaccinated or not?

You won't have a clue if anyone on your group ride is infected or lying about their vaccination status so, If you're really that concerned about getting infected despite being vaccinated, you should probably stick to doing group rides on Zwift.....it's way safer. Or is it? Your risk of contracting the virus is actually much higher indoors.........
Old 08-06-21, 05:27 PM
terrymorse 
climber has-been

Bikes: Scott Addict R1, Felt Z1

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 3335 Post(s)
Liked 3,435 Times in 1,737 Posts
Originally Posted by BHG6
My question still stands - Why, since these vaccines are so highly effective, should you worry about getting infected from ANYONE, vaccinated or not?
Question asked. In case you're looking for an answer, here are my personal reasons:

Because this virus is highly contagious and causes serious illness.

Being vaccinated, I almost certainly won't get seriously ill. I'm not worried about getting sick.

But if I get infected (which I suspect will happen eventually), I probably will transmit it to other people. And they will transmit it to more people. And so on, until it reaches someone who ends up in the hospital and possibly dies.

Then there's the prospect of further variants. More infected people means more opportunities for a new virus variant that is more deadly or more able to evade the vaccines.

I now take precautions to prevent getting and transmitting the virus. Not to keep myself healthy, but to keep others healthy.

Likes For terrymorse:
Old 08-06-21, 05:45 PM
MinnMan

Bikes: 2022 Salsa Beargrease Carbon Deore 11, 2020 Salsa Warbird GRX 600, 2020 Canyon Ultimate CF SLX disc 9.0 Di2, 2020 Catrike Eola, 2016 Masi cxgr, 2011, Felt F3 Ltd, 2010 Trek 2.1, 2009 KHS Flite 220

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 4260 Post(s)
Liked 2,934 Times in 1,809 Posts
Another question to which we don't have good answers

]Can I get long covid if I've been vaccinated?
Likes For MinnMan:
Old 08-06-21, 07:31 PM
BHG6

Originally Posted by terrymorse
Question asked. In case you're looking for an answer, here are my personal reasons:

Because this virus is highly contagious and causes serious illness.

Being vaccinated, I almost certainly won't get seriously ill. I'm not worried about getting sick.

But if I get infected (which I suspect will happen eventually), I probably will transmit it to other people. And they will transmit it to more people. And so on, until it reaches someone who ends up in the hospital and possibly dies.

Then there's the prospect of further variants. More infected people means more opportunities for a new virus variant that is more deadly or more able to evade the vaccines.

I now take precautions to prevent getting and transmitting the virus. Not to keep myself healthy, but to keep others healthy.
If you truly are that concerned about protecting others from the virus then the vaccination status of those around you should be of no concern. Honestly, you have no idea who around you is actively transmitting the virus so you need to treat everyone as if they're infected and conduct yourself accordingly. Do you do that?

I take the requisite precautions to protect myself and those I love. Beyond that, I find worrying about everyone else's vaccination status to be completely exhausting
Likes For BHG6:
Old 08-06-21, 08:00 PM
MinnMan

Bikes: 2022 Salsa Beargrease Carbon Deore 11, 2020 Salsa Warbird GRX 600, 2020 Canyon Ultimate CF SLX disc 9.0 Di2, 2020 Catrike Eola, 2016 Masi cxgr, 2011, Felt F3 Ltd, 2010 Trek 2.1, 2009 KHS Flite 220

If you truly are that concerned about protecting others from the virus then the vaccination status of those around you should be of no concern. Honestly, you have no idea who around you is actively transmitting the virus so you need to treat everyone as if they're infected and conduct yourself accordingly. Do you do that?

I take the requisite precautions to protect myself and those I love. Beyond that, I find worrying about everyone else's vaccination status to be completely exhausting
Based on the vigor with which you are posting on the topic, that's hard to believe.
Likes For MinnMan:
Old 08-06-21, 08:41 PM
BHG6

Originally Posted by MinnMan
Based on the vigor with which you are posting on the topic, that's hard to believe.
So the conclusion you drew from reading my previous posts is that I'm actually concerned with the vaccination status of others?
Old 08-06-21, 08:48 PM
MinnMan

So the conclusion you drew from reading my previous posts is that I'm actually concerned with the vaccination status of others?
Wrong. The conclusion I drew is that you have a lot of energy to discuss it. If you find the topic exhausting, you can just exit the thread and contemplate things that you find less draining.
Likes For MinnMan:
Old 08-06-21, 09:25 PM
BHG6

Originally Posted by MinnMan
Wrong. The conclusion I drew is that you have a lot of energy to discuss it. If you find the topic exhausting, you can just exit the thread and contemplate things that you find less draining.
I never said I found the topic exhausting. I said I find worrying about everyone else and their vaccination status to be exhausting.
Old 08-06-21, 09:59 PM
Kabuto

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 172 Post(s)
Liked 76 Times in 52 Posts
Originally Posted by Seattle Forrest
​​​​​​I got the Pfizer shot. It tested at 95% effective back in the day. It's less effective now, because the strains going around today didn't exist when it was tested, and Delta is better at spreading. I think Israel puts the mRNA vaccines at around 65% effectiveness.
The most recent number I read was 39%. And falling.

"95% of the severe patients are vaccinated".
"85-90% of the hospitalizations are fully vaccinated people."
"We are opening more and more COVID wards."
"The effectiveness of the vaccine is waning/fading out"
(Dr. Kobi Haviv, yesterday on Chanel 13 @newsisrael13)
Old 08-06-21, 10:06 PM
MinnMan

I never said I found the topic exhausting. I said I find worrying about everyone else and their vaccination status to be exhausting.
Old 08-07-21, 04:53 AM
znomit
Zoom zoom zoom zoom bonk

Bikes: Giant Defy, Trek 1.7c, BMC GF02, Fuji Tahoe, Scott Sub 35, Kona Rove, Trek Verve+2

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 549 Post(s)
Liked 721 Times in 365 Posts
Originally Posted by ooga-booga
i feel the same way based on what bikes a person has listed in their bio...

I know. How the heck you you live with yourself owning both a pina and a Nishiki?
Old 08-07-21, 07:21 AM
diphthong

Bikes: 85 pinarello treviso steel, 88 nishiki olympic steel. 95 look kg 131 carbon, 11 trek madone 5.2 carbon

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 1619 Post(s)
Liked 3,087 Times in 1,670 Posts
Originally Posted by znomit
I know. How the heck you you live with yourself owning both a pina and a Nishiki?
there's a lot of buzz...esp since the '85 pinarello is running shimano and the '88 nishiki is running campy.
expecting to be crushed underneath a falling piano or two any day...wouldn't have it any other way.
Old 08-07-21, 08:31 AM
terrymorse 
climber has-been

If you truly are that concerned about protecting others from the virus then the vaccination status of those around you should be of no concern.
I disagree. If the people in close proximity are not vaccinated, the chances of my acquiring and transmitting the disease are far greater.

Old 08-07-21, 08:44 AM
terrymorse 
climber has-been

Originally Posted by Kabuto
The most recent number I read was 39% (vaccine effectiveness against Delta variant). And falling.

"95% of the severe patients are vaccinated".
"85-90% of the hospitalizations are fully vaccinated people."
"We are opening more and more COVID wards."
"The effectiveness of the vaccine is waning/fading out"
(Dr. Kobi Haviv, yesterday on Chanel 13 @newsisrael13)
Data pulled from hospitalizations don't tell you much about effectiveness.

Better estimates of effectiveness can be found in journal articles, like this very recent one, Bernal et al, July 21, 2021:

Effectiveness of Covid-19 Vaccines against the B.1.617.2 (Delta) Variant

CONCLUSIONS

Only modest differences in vaccine effectiveness were noted with the delta variant as compared with the alpha variant after the receipt of two vaccine doses. Absolute differences in vaccine effectiveness were more marked after the receipt of the first dose. This finding would support efforts to maximize vaccine uptake with two doses among vulnerable populations. (Funded by Public Health England.)

Likes For terrymorse:
Old 08-07-21, 08:53 AM
jon c. 

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 1591 Post(s)
Liked 1,015 Times in 570 Posts
I ride solo, but if I rode in a group I would continue to do so. I wouldn't want to stand around in close contact before or after the ride, but I would feel safe enough actually riding in the presence of other riders.
Old 08-07-21, 09:09 AM
MinnMan

Originally Posted by jon c.
I ride solo, but if I rode in a group I would continue to do so. I wouldn't want to stand around in close contact before or after the ride, but I would feel safe enough actually riding in the presence of other riders.
I understand this sentiment. But people should recognize that even during a group ride, there are occasions for motionless proximity. For example, stopping at red lights, stopping for mechanicals, rest stops at C-stores or elsewhere. These may not be long, and can be minimized with some positional awareness.
Likes For MinnMan:
Old 08-07-21, 09:10 AM
BillyD
Administrator

Bikes: Merlin Cyrene '04; Bridgestone RB-1 '92

Mentioned: 325 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 11889 Post(s)
Liked 6,482 Times in 3,411 Posts
Originally Posted by yarbrough462
These discussions are funny. People believe what they want to believe. The ridiculous thing about the whole situation is that I can probably guess a person's political affiliation based on their beliefs on COVID and vaccines. It is sad that we have politicized public health....
Originally Posted by urbanknight
Do mine!
Originally Posted by ooga-booga
i feel the same way based on what bikes a person has listed in their bio...
Let's steer clear of politics guys.
Likes For BillyD:
Old 08-07-21, 09:46 AM
BHG6

Originally Posted by terrymorse
I disagree. If the people in close proximity are not vaccinated, the chances of my acquiring and transmitting the disease are far greater.
Far greater? Honestly?

My friend, you are already protected by a vaccine boasting a 93% efficacy rate. Why on earth would you be concerned with the minute off-chance of being infected by an unvaccinated person, SPECIFICALLY , when the data shows that vaccinated people can be every bit as contagious?

If you are truly that concerned, you shouldn’t be doing group rides - you should be treating everyone as if they were infected, regardless of their claims. Kinda like picking up some random strange at the Pink Flamingo. Know what I mean?

Protecting yourself IS protecting those around you. Worrying about everyone else will only cause your Cortisol to shoot through the roof.

Am I wrong?
Old 08-07-21, 10:09 AM
terrymorse 
climber has-been

Far greater (risk of contracting COVID from unvaccinated than vaccinated)? Honestly?
Yes, honestly. It doesn't take a PhD in epidemiology to conclude that the unvaccinated are more likely to transmit the virus.

Is the risk of contracting the virus much less when vaccinated? Data suggest yes, but data also suggest that indoor and crowded gatherings are risky for everyone.

Note that masks are now mandated indoors for all, not just the unvaccinated, in order to reduce transmission. From our most recent county order, dated 2-August:

------
Regardless of vaccination status, all persons must wear face coverings at all times when indoors...

...all persons are strongly discouraged from engaging in any activities that require removal of face coverings indoors (e.g., indoor dining), and instead encouraged to choose safer alternatives (e.g., outdoor dining). Even outdoors, individuals are recommended to use face coverings if they are in crowded areas.

------

None of this causes me any "worry", or shoots up my cortisol level (LOL). I go about my daily routine, following the orders from health officials, taking sensible precautions.

Last edited by terrymorse; 08-07-21 at 10:24 AM.
Old 08-07-21, 10:19 AM
Kapusta
Advanced Slacker

Bikes: Soma Fog Cutter, Surly Wednesday, Canfielld Tilt

Quoted: 2749 Post(s)
Liked 2,516 Times in 1,422 Posts
You really thought I was talking about non-carriers of the virus? And you're calling me a troll?
I do not know what the heck you are thinking, nor do I particularly care.

What I DO know is that you are consistently misrepresenting what the CDC is saying about the risk posed by vaccinated vs unvaccinated groups.
Likes For Kapusta:
Old 08-07-21, 10:31 AM
BHG6

Originally Posted by Kapusta
I do not know what the heck you are thinking, nor do I particularly care.

What I DO know is that you are consistently misrepresenting what the CDC is saying about the risk posed by vaccinated vs unvaccinated groups.
I gave you a direct quote from the Director of the CDC and you claim I’m misrepresenting what she said. Ok….you win
Old 08-07-21, 11:02 AM
Kapusta
Advanced Slacker

I gave you a direct quote from the Director of the CDC and you claim I’m misrepresenting what she said. Ok….you win
You are providing a quote while claiming it means something completely different than actually does.

You may as well be pointing to the sky as proof that it is green.

You you already know this.

Last edited by Kapusta; 08-07-21 at 11:06 AM.
Old 08-07-21, 11:39 AM
Seattle Forrest

Mentioned: 89 Post(s)
Quoted: 18883 Post(s)
Liked 10,645 Times in 6,054 Posts
Far greater? Honestly?

My friend, you are already protected by a vaccine boasting a 93% efficacy rate. Why on earth would you be concerned with the minute off-chance of being infected by an unvaccinated person, SPECIFICALLY , when the data shows that vaccinated people can be every bit as contagious?

If you are truly that concerned, you shouldn’t be doing group rides - you should be treating everyone as if they were infected, regardless of their claims. Kinda like picking up some random strange at the Pink Flamingo. Know what I mean?

Protecting yourself IS protecting those around you. Worrying about everyone else will only cause your Cortisol to shoot through the roof.

Am I wrong?
​​​​​​Yes. It's been explained to you and you keep repeating the misinformation.
Old 08-07-21, 11:43 AM
WhyFi

Bikes: R3 Disc, Haanjo

Mentioned: 353 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 20791 Post(s)
Liked 9,436 Times in 4,663 Posts
If you are truly that concerned, you shouldn’t be doing group rides - you should be treating everyone as if they were infected, regardless of their claims.

Am I wrong?
Yes, you are.

You know how there are often pissing matches about what constitutes the best bang for the buck when it comes to bikes? What many fail to recognize is that BBftB is going to differ from person to person based upon their expectations and the depth of their wallet. This is very similar. Sometimes it's Sora, sometimes it's Super Record - it's different for everyone. You're failing to acknowledge that there are various levels of risk and various levels of reward. Some may only feel comfortable completely isolated, as you suggest, while others, knowing that they'll be surrounded by inoculated folks, will be happy to increase their risk slightly if it means the pleasure of riding with company - that's their best bang for the viral load buck.
Likes For WhyFi:
Old 08-07-21, 12:15 PM
Kapusta
Advanced Slacker

Originally Posted by Seattle Forrest
​​​​​​Yes. It's been explained to you and you keep repeating the misinformation.
Yes, but he can back up this misinformation with quotes from the CDC that don't back up his misinformation.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.