Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Clydesdales/Athenas (200+ lb / 91+ kg)
Reload this Page >

Back on the steel horse after a ruptured AC joint

Notices
Clydesdales/Athenas (200+ lb / 91+ kg) Looking to lose that spare tire? Ideal weight 200+? Frustrated being a large cyclist in a sport geared for the ultra-light? Learn about the bikes and parts that can take the abuse of a heavier cyclist, how to keep your body going while losing the weight, and get support from others who've been successful.

Old 07-25-21, 09:28 PM
selinz

Bikes: 1987 Trek 400, changed to 2001ish Ultegra 27 spd drivetrain

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 1 Post

I took a bit of a tumble last October, riding my Suzuki 500 through some thick, granite gravel. The front wheel essentially stuck in the gravel and I fell on my shoulder. The speed was probably 15mph so I could have had a similar fall on my bike. Anywho, I went to Kaiser, they gave me a sling, and told me that it should heal itself with time. They called a couple times to schedule me for PT but I figured "why." Probably a mistake but that's me being bull headed I suppose. To make a long story short, I was finally back on the bike two days ago (I'm 61) and went 13.5 miles. I felt great! So I decided to do my "normal" ride of 20 miles the next day. I did it but it was painful. I should have given myself a rest day. I guess I forgot I was 61. But I'm glad I did and I encourage others who may have had a fall or two to get back on there! BTW, my ride is a 1987 Trek 400 that still has the original frame, front forks, front wheel!, and seat post! I've changed out the drive train with a 27 speed Ultegra off of Craig's list. To celebrate, I ordered a set of Ultegra brakes and Shimano pedals/clips (beginner) to replace my 15 year old brakes and pedals. I have a "weak" right ankle and it has caused me two have two 0 mph "crashes" in the last two years because of my inability to remove my clip from the pedal.
Well, that was pretty long winded. The website told me that my last post was 2010. I guess you could say that although I'm not a prolific poster, when I do, I'm a bit long winded. I'm still on my bike because my weight (260-275lbs for the last several years) makes it more painful to walk than to ride my bike..
Best wishes to all!
Scott Lindsey, Brentwood, CA

Last edited by cb400bill; 07-26-21 at 12:10 PM.
Likes For selinz:
Old 07-26-21, 11:07 AM
Mark Stone
Tractorlegs

Bikes: Schwinn Meridian Single-Speed Tricycle

Quoted: 119 Post(s)
Liked 60 Times in 42 Posts
Hi Scott, I agree with you that your AC joint didn't need PT. I had a similar crash where I tore ligaments on the AC, and it just healed nicely with a little weight lifting to strengthen the shoulder muscles. But my ijury was way back in 1991 when I was in my late 30s. Keep riding! My crash was on a 1984 Trek 520 lol - maybe Trek bikes are bad for shoulders
Likes For Mark Stone:
Old 08-05-21, 10:57 PM
tallbikeman

Bikes: Modified 26 inch frame Schwinn Varsity with 700c wheels and 10 speed cassette hub. Ryan Vanguard recumbent. 67cm 27"x1 1/4" Schwinn Sports Tourer from the 1980's. 1980's 68cm Nishiki Sebring with 700c aero wheels, 30 speeds, flat bar bicycle.

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 131 Post(s)
Liked 141 Times in 102 Posts
selinz I am in the same weight range you are in. I walk an hour a day and then later I will ride my bike 10 to 20 miles. About shoes and cleats. You might consider putting on a nice set of platform pedals with the 8 to 10 steel studs and use regular street or athletic walking/running/basketball shoes. That way you won't have troubles getting out of the pedal. There is a study done by european scientists about power output comparing clipped in shoes and non clipped in shoes. I found that study by Googling for it. There was no difference in power output available to the rider. However sprints did suffer. If sprints are not a concern to you then switching pedals and shoes my not be an issue either. Good luck with your riding.
Likes For tallbikeman:
Old 08-08-21, 07:35 PM
selinz

Bikes: 1987 Trek 400, changed to 2001ish Ultegra 27 spd drivetrain

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
The Trek 520 was an option when I bought my 400! Definitely same vintage. I'm amazed that I still am using the orignal front wheel and hub. The rear spoke grommets died long ago. anyhew, thanks for the response and encouragement!