Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Folding Bikes
Reload this Page >

Schwinn Loop derailleur

Search
Notices
Folding Bikes Discuss the unique features and issues of folding bikes. Also a great place to learn what folding bike will work best for your needs.

Schwinn Loop derailleur

Search this Thread

Old 07-31-21, 06:31 PM
JDme

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Schwinn Loop derailleur

Does anyone know what derailleur the Schwinn Loop uses? It isn’t marked TX or TZ. I wish it would be easier to find out which ones folding bikes use.
Old 07-31-21, 10:18 PM
Juan el Boricua

Bikes: 1980's Royce Union "fixed wheel", 1995 Trek 370, 406 -wheeled " shopper/minivelo"for running errands, SS Raleigh M60

Quoted: 43 Post(s)
Liked 58 Times in 46 Posts
As I understand, its probably a Tourney TZ as it is sold as "for 7-speed" while the TX as an "8-speed"; the Schwinn Loop is a 7-speed bicycle.
Maybe either will work, as what makes the precise shifting is the shifter mechanism and the hi/low screws are for limiting travel preventing the derailer move past the cogs.

Last edited by Juan el Boricua; 07-31-21 at 10:23 PM.
Likes For Juan el Boricua:
Old 07-31-21, 10:29 PM
birdmove

Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked 26 Times in 15 Posts
Originally Posted by JDme
Does anyone know what derailleur the Schwinn Loop uses? It isn’t marked TX or TZ. I wish it would be easier to find out which ones folding bikes use.
Can I ask how is the bike working out you? What do you think of it?

Last edited by birdmove; 08-01-21 at 09:53 PM.
Old 08-01-21, 01:13 PM
JDme

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanks. Do you know what derailleur the 6 speeds use? Not just the folders but in general.
Old 08-01-21, 04:38 PM
Juan el Boricua

Bikes: 1980's Royce Union "fixed wheel", 1995 Trek 370, 406 -wheeled " shopper/minivelo"for running errands, SS Raleigh M60

Quoted: 43 Post(s)
Liked 58 Times in 46 Posts
This might help:
https://bike.shimano.com/en-EU/produ...t/tourney.html
Old 08-01-21, 06:51 PM
Doc_Wui

Bikes: GT Transeo & a half dozen ebike conversions.

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 340 Post(s)
Liked 275 Times in 192 Posts
I put a 6 speed freewheel on our Loop, but use the original derailleur and twist shifter. I put in a rear hubmotor and needed a little more space. The original brake levers are quite short and were replaced. The original chain wheel was pretty small, 38T or 40T, but I had a 52T laying around. That's as big as one can go before it hits the hinge. I also use a folding steerer tube in place of the steel unit.

If I hadn't wanted a stepthru. I feel there are nicer equipped folders. Downtube, Zizzo, Citizen, Origami. Still. they have sold this bike for years with a lifetime frame warranty, so that is one less thing to worry about. It's alloy with a cr-moly front fork.

Last edited by Doc_Wui; 08-01-21 at 06:57 PM.
Old 08-02-21, 12:16 PM
JDme

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I was deciding between the Loop and the Citizen Miami. Both seem to be geared low and combined with a small 20 inch tire would not be good for long trips. So I am looking for a 26 inch bike.
Old 08-11-21, 03:56 PM
tds101 
55+ Club,...

Bikes: 9+,...

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 1111 Post(s)
Liked 843 Times in 587 Posts
Originally Posted by JDme
I was deciding between the Loop and the Citizen Miami. Both seem to be geared low and combined with a small 20 inch tire would not be good for long trips. So I am looking for a 26 inch bike.
Take a look at a few 24" folders,...

Citizen Gotham 24-7: GOTHAM 24-7 Citizen Bike 24" 7-speed Folding Bike with Alloy Frame

Downtube Dyan (my personal recommendation, as it's a 9 speed. It has a cassette rear wheel instead of a freewheel, better spec'd all around, can be upgraded to disc brakes, wider gear spacing that can be upgraded to a 10 speed. Plus, it's less expensive.): Dyan 24" wheel folding bike (downtube.com)

The 24' folders are easier to fold and transport, while riding like a larger sized bike.

Last edited by tds101; 08-11-21 at 04:09 PM.