Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Real Weirdos on Craigslist

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Real Weirdos on Craigslist

Search this Thread

Old 08-15-21, 08:36 PM
urbanknight
Over the hill

Bikes: Giant Defy, Giant Revolt

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 998 Post(s)
Liked 1,206 Times in 692 Posts
It happens. There's also the scammers, pulling all sorts of stunts (The Google Voice one is hilarious). One thing for sure is once they burn me without a reasonable explanation, there's no second chance. If they're irresponsible or dishonest with meeting up, they're probably like that with their merchandise or negotiating practices as well.
Old 08-15-21, 09:40 PM
Chuck M 
Happy With My Bikes

Bikes: Hi-Ten bike boomers, a Trek Domane and some projects

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 884 Post(s)
Liked 2,307 Times in 1,117 Posts
I know a lot of folks here on BF don't like facebook. But the one thing that is good about facebook marketplace is the ability to facebook stalk these weirdos before you invest too much time in them.

Likes For Chuck M:
Old 08-15-21, 10:52 PM
prairiepedaler
Banned.

Bikes: Looking for "the One"

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 323 Times in 212 Posts
I found this skit highly amusing -

Likes For prairiepedaler:
Old 08-16-21, 05:16 AM
Phil_gretz
Zip tie Karen

Bikes: '13 Motobecane Fantom29 HT, '16 Motobecane Turino Pro Disc, '18 Velobuild VB-R-022, '21 Tsunami SNM-100

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 1465 Post(s)
Liked 1,542 Times in 806 Posts
Originally Posted by Darth Lefty
If you think buying and selling bikes is bad you haven’t tried dating
I was finished dating [anyone other than my wife] before e-mail existed outside of university computer science departments, the widespread use of cellular telephones, or the emergence of "the internet". Fortunately... we just celebrated 38 years married.
Likes For Phil_gretz:
Old 08-16-21, 07:13 AM
Chuckles1

Bikes: 2007 Motobecane Fantom Cross Expert, 2020 Motobecane Omni Strada Pro Disc (700c gravel bike), 2021 Motobecane Elite Adventure with Bafang 500W rear hub drive

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 174 Post(s)
Liked 143 Times in 94 Posts
Scammers

I put a bike on CL for $800. A woman emailed saying she wanted it, but was out of town on business. I was suspicious. Then she wanted me to ship it. Then she sent a check for $2,800, said extra was for shipping. I wasn't born yesterday, so didn't attempt to cash the check from a title company in CA. The woman said she was in FL. I'm in ME. She wanted me to ship my bike and return any excess payment after taking my $800 plus shipping fees.

Life's too short for dealing with these fools. I showed my banker brother the check and he said the bank routing number or acct.# (I forget which) was not legitimate. It can take a couple weeks to find out a check from a business is no good, so if I had deposited the check and shipped the bike and sent her a check for the excess, I'd have lost the bike and a wad of cash.
Likes For Chuckles1:
Old 08-16-21, 08:29 AM
Milton Keynes

Bikes: Trek 1100 road bike, Roadmaster gravel/commuter/beater mountain bike

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 2281 Post(s)
Liked 1,710 Times in 936 Posts
Originally Posted by Chuckles1
I put a bike on CL for $800. A woman emailed saying she wanted it, but was out of town on business. I was suspicious. Then she wanted me to ship it. Then she sent a check for $2,800, said extra was for shipping. I wasn't born yesterday, so didn't attempt to cash the check from a title company in CA. The woman said she was in FL. I'm in ME. She wanted me to ship my bike and return any excess payment after taking my $800 plus shipping fees.

Life's too short for dealing with these fools. I showed my banker brother the check and he said the bank routing number or acct.# (I forget which) was not legitimate. It can take a couple weeks to find out a check from a business is no good, so if I had deposited the check and shipped the bike and sent her a check for the excess, I'd have lost the bike and a wad of cash.
Yeah, that's an old scam. Be VERY wary of anyone who wants to send you a check for way over the asking price and asks you to send the extra back to them via Western Union or a gift card. Anyone sending you a big check and then having you wire the extra back to them is running a scam, because the checks always turn out to be fake and you'll be out the money.
Likes For Milton Keynes:
Old 08-16-21, 08:37 AM
Sempervee

Bikes: Cannondale Quick Disk 5 & Rad Power Mini

Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Liked 30 Times in 25 Posts
They are also Phishing for phone numbers I have read including from other countries. I keep it anonymous email thru CL. Going thru that now with 3 No shows and 1 low ******.
Old 08-16-21, 08:39 AM
Sempervee

Bikes: Cannondale Quick Disk 5 & Rad Power Mini

Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Liked 30 Times in 25 Posts
They are sometimes only phishing for phone numbers also.. Keep it Anonymous thru CL email. Dealing with that now 3 Nshows and 1 Lo ball offer.
Likes For Sempervee:
Old 08-16-21, 09:40 AM
rosefarts
With a mighty wind

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 1087 Post(s)
Liked 862 Times in 490 Posts
I once had an Acura CL.

Basically a sporty little Honda Accord 2 door. The plan was to use it to commute. It’s age and problems became more than I could bear so I decided to sell it.

It checked all sketchy boxes - Honda motor of a certain era, sporty, beat up and cheap. Holy cow did the weirdo’s come out of the woodwork.

I managed to filter the scammers out.

It was the real ones who showed up. Most looked less than a month out of prison. Never once did I see a forward facing hat. Facial tattoos. Always super interested, never had any money. Some wanted me to personally set them up with a payment plan (ie, give the car away since I’d never see them again). Others wanted me to drop the car off for them, in a sketchy area, very late. Usually I’d get endless nearly unreadable texts and emails with sob stories (sorry, a zippy Acura will not fix what’s wrong with your life).

This was all over a $1000 car. I was one more dirtbag away from just donating it to NPR when a young kid who already had a car and wanted something to tinker with finally bought it.

I’ve bought and sold a lot of bikes. Usually it’s an overwhelmingly positive experience. Any occasional flake I’ve experienced is nothing compared to what I went through with that stupid car.
Old 08-17-21, 11:13 PM
rsbob 
Grupetto Bob

Bikes: Bikey McBike Face

Quoted: 2581 Post(s)
Liked 5,636 Times in 2,920 Posts
I use CL to get rid of stuff I don’t want to haul to the dump or is questionable to throw out. I just put FREE and people are beating the door down for whatever. Had a stereo that went mono and had 10 replies. A sofa with a shot spring had a few takers, but looked nice, old light fixtures, you name it. Free is the best way to get rid of stuff you thought no one would want.

OTOH, put a price on something and the flakes come out of the woodwork. Am very used to being stood up or trying to reduce the price. CL is always a crap shoot when selling.

Old 08-18-21, 02:43 AM
Lazyass

Mentioned: 66 Post(s)
Quoted: 2432 Post(s)
Liked 638 Times in 395 Posts

Giving out your address was your first mistake.
Old 08-18-21, 06:47 AM
TakingMyTime

Bikes: Canyon Endurace

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 1041 Post(s)
Liked 923 Times in 540 Posts
Maybe I'm the exception to the rule but I've never had a bad experience selling on C/L. I describe the item as best as possible with accurate and detailed photographs. I only initiate a conversation through the C/L email feature and once the buyer's intentions have been confirmed I will exchange phone numbers, speak to them, and THEN give them my address. I believe in always speaking to the buyer before giving them my address and making the sale.
Old 08-18-21, 06:56 AM
rumrunn6

Bikes: Bottecchia Sprint, GT Timberline 29r, Marin Muirwoods 29er, Trek FX Alpha 7.0

Mentioned: 112 Post(s)
Quoted: 5224 Post(s)
Liked 3,581 Times in 2,342 Posts
the most trustworthy seem to be the ppl who want my stuff for free. they are certainly the most grateful. lots of ppl out there need free tires
Likes For rumrunn6:
Old 08-18-21, 07:16 AM
big chainring 

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 751 Post(s)
Liked 727 Times in 351 Posts
Old 08-18-21, 10:55 AM
dmanthree

Bikes: Garmin/Tacx Bike Smart

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 646 Post(s)
Liked 289 Times in 191 Posts
Originally Posted by RiceAWay
In the last two weeks I've had people answer almost every one of my Craigslist adds saying that they wanted to come and get one of my components or see the bikes and not one has shown up. I have never done this on any add of this sort and cannot figure out what would cause people to answer and add with supposed interest and never show up. Would you answer and add and take someone's time waiting for you never to show up?
I've had that happen for Craigslist and for the regional "yard sale" sites on FB. The reason? They're just *******s.
Old 08-18-21, 01:06 PM
Milton Keynes

Originally Posted by rsbob
I use CL to get rid of stuff I don’t want to haul to the dump or is questionable to throw out. I just put FREE and people are beating the door down for whatever. Had a stereo that went mono and had 10 replies. A sofa with a shot spring had a few takers, but looked nice, old light fixtures, you name it. Free is the best way to get rid of stuff you thought no one would want.

OTOH, put a price on something and the flakes come out of the woodwork. Am very used to being stood up or trying to reduce the price. CL is always a crap shoot when selling.
I've even had people flake on me when I was giving away stuff for free. I guess free is too expensive or not worth their time. Which really doesn't bother me much, because as far as I'm concerned when I'm giving stuff away, first come, first served. But I had a lady say, "I want that" and then totally ghosted me. I ended up giving it to someone else.
Old 08-18-21, 08:34 PM
rsbob 
Grupetto Bob

Bikes: Bikey McBike Face

Quoted: 2581 Post(s)
Liked 5,636 Times in 2,920 Posts
Originally Posted by Milton Keynes
I've even had people flake on me when I was giving away stuff for free. I guess free is too expensive or not worth their time. Which really doesn't bother me much, because as far as I'm concerned when I'm giving stuff away, first come, first served. But I had a lady say, "I want that" and then totally ghosted me. I ended up giving it to someone else.
I have had a couple of those too. Or people with limited reading comprehension whom suddenly realize I don’t live next door which suddenly becomes too inconvenient

Likes For rsbob:
Old 08-18-21, 11:20 PM
SurferRosa
señor miembro

Bikes: '70s - '80s Campagnolo

Mentioned: 92 Post(s)
Quoted: 3886 Post(s)
Liked 6,480 Times in 3,206 Posts
... I was suspicious... she sent a check for $2,800, said extra was for shipping. I wasn't born yesterday, so didn't attempt to cash the check.
Wait. You gave her your name and home address?

I either use cash or PayPal. If the buyer can't do either, then there's no sale.

Last edited by SurferRosa; 08-18-21 at 11:25 PM.
Likes For SurferRosa:
Old 08-18-21, 11:54 PM
Metieval

Bikes: Road bike, Hybrid, Gravel, Drop bar SS, hard tail MTB

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 1218 Post(s)
Liked 298 Times in 214 Posts
I definitely like Facebook market over CL, because I can stalk the buyer/seller before replying.
Not just marketplace , but the buy/sell group pages are beneficial too. Especially with bikes and bike parts.
Old 08-19-21, 01:07 PM
BikingViking793 

Bikes: 2015 Felt Z75 Disc, 2008 Fuji Cross Comp, 2010 Trek Navigator 1.0, 1974 Raleigh Sports, 1974 Schwinn Le Tour, 1981 Schwinn Super Le Tour, Surly Cross Check, 2021 Giant Talon 2

Quoted: 202 Post(s)
Liked 71 Times in 60 Posts
Weird things on Craigslist are normal.
Likes For BikingViking793:
Old 08-19-21, 01:30 PM
Darth Lefty 
Disco Infiltrator

Bikes: Stormchaser, Paramount, Tilt, Samba tandem

Mentioned: 72 Post(s)
Quoted: 3126 Post(s)
Liked 2,105 Times in 1,369 Posts
For free stuff we also have a local Facebook group, called "Buy Nothing," sort of a franchise. It's dominated by moms in apartments. There's a lot of stuff when you have kids that still obviously has value but professional organizations are not allowed to take - like formula or opened bags of diapers or basically any kind of plastic chair (rocker, high chair, car seat) that a baby might have pooped and barfed on. I've been surprised to find that smaller things go easier, something like a crib is a harder giveaway. Sometimes you come to recognize that the same person is showing up all the time because her kid is exactly the right age for the stuff yours has outgrown. People come and go from it and there are definitely some hoarders who will show up for anything. You can make rules up like "tell me why you want it" or "first 'new' respondent gets it" or a lottery. If the first one doesn't show you can go to the next respondent on the post. I've gotten called out once - I put up a kennel and someone posted "You should take this to such and so rescue in Placerville" (hour round trip away). I responded great, are you coming to get it for them?... and I guess that was scathing enough or he wanted it enough because he did.

The crowd from "free" on Craigslist has been different. Clearly poorer, more careful of trouble. They tend to not want to pick stuff up off a driveway unless the home owner is there to ensure it doesn't look like stealing. I don't have any problem with that, they usually need it worse than anyone. I guess I shouldn't care what kind of person is getting this stuff but I do find the hoarders more offputting.
Genesis 49:16-17

Last edited by Darth Lefty; 08-19-21 at 01:35 PM.
Likes For Darth Lefty:
Old 08-19-21, 07:02 PM
Charliekeet

Bikes: S-Works Stumpjumper HT Disc, Fuji Absolute, Kona Jake the Snake, '85 Cannondale SR900

Quoted: 219 Post(s)
Liked 217 Times in 142 Posts
I’ve also had a higher % of “real” responses when posting stuff for free, and I’m always shocked at how quickly things just left out with a “Free” sign are snapped up. Even big things, like heavy coffee tables, tall bookcases…
Old 08-19-21, 07:29 PM
dedhed
SE Wis

Bikes: '68 Raleigh Sprite, '02 Raleigh C500, '84 Raleigh Gran Prix, '91 Trek 400, 2013 Novara Randonee, 1990 Trek 970

Mentioned: 40 Post(s)
Quoted: 2746 Post(s)
Liked 3,390 Times in 2,053 Posts
Free stuff I put on the curb of my busy street and it disappears.
Likes For dedhed:
Old 08-19-21, 07:52 PM
travbikeman

Bikes: State 4130 Custom, Giant Trance 29

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 422 Post(s)
Liked 182 Times in 123 Posts
Many years ago had someone flake out on me to pick something up at my house via a CL sale. I attempted to get back to them to find out if they were coming, but they never responded to me after I gave them my address.

Had a bad feeling on it, so I made sure my garage door had the extra locks set on it.

Sure enough, someone came around 1am and attempted to open my garage door. My dog is growling and on edge. I was ready to pound the guy with an alum baseball bat. The idiot whom tried to break in never thought for a moment, that an old (4 cylinder ) car without a muffler isn't exactly sneaking in when he drove through my quiet neighborhood and into my driveway.

I now primarily sell things via Facebook and will charge for shipping. But still have these weird flakes whom tell me some really stupid things. Had a guy once tell me on a Facebook sale that he would have bought the bike had it been a size large. I was like really...let me run out and buy a size large bike to sell you....sheesh some people are just plain bored in life. There really is no need to strike up stupid conversations like that when you had no intentions to buy. But get that too often with Facebook.

Last edited by travbikeman; 08-19-21 at 07:58 PM.
Old 08-20-21, 06:57 AM
Milton Keynes

Originally Posted by BikingViking793
Weird things on Craigslist are normal.
If you want real weird, peruse the personals.
Likes For Milton Keynes:

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.