Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Hybrid Bicycles
Reload this Page >

Giant Cypress DX 2021 Disc

Notices
Hybrid Bicycles Where else would you go to discuss these fun, versatile bikes?

Old 01-24-21, 08:02 AM
Scubaquarius

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 11 Posts

I see alot of talk about various Treks on here - anyone riding a Giant Cypress DX 2021 disc or have opinions about this vs. any of the Treks?

Thanks,
Scubaquarius
Old 01-24-21, 09:39 AM
Speedway2

Bikes: United Motocross BMX, Specialized Langster, Giant OCR, Marin Muirwoods, Globe Roll2, VROD:)

Quoted: 236 Post(s)
Liked 400 Times in 242 Posts
I've owned a few Giant bikes. They are good value for the $$. Maybe not as flashy and brand appealing as Trek but they hold their own.

Curious about your choice. Never been a fan of suspension seat posts or limited travel front forks for paved riding.

You'd be better off with a Rigid(save weight, potential maintenance and $$) and upgraded tires inflated to suit your ride.

Last edited by Speedway2; 01-24-21 at 09:42 AM.
Old 01-24-21, 09:54 AM
Scubaquarius

Originally Posted by Speedway2
I've owned a few Giant bikes. They are good value for the $$. Maybe not as flashy and brand appealing as Trek but they hold their own.

Curious about your choice. Never been a fan of suspension seat posts or limited travel front forks for paved riding.

You'd be better off with a Rigid(save weight, potential maintenance and $$) and upgraded tires inflated to suit your ride.
My "only" reason for considering the Giant Cypress was purely service. The local giant dealer here is great: attitude, free tune-ups for lifetime, and so on.
The Trek dealer's service is "pitiful". I took a $2500 recumbent I bought from the Trek dealer who also sells Catrikes for a chain problem. They barely
looked at it. Said it was normal. I took it home and on close inspection found 2 broken chain supports which I fixed myself.

Bikes are no better than the service offered by the dealer, especially since my mechanical abilities are limited.

Thanks for your response,
Scubaquarius
Old 01-24-21, 10:03 AM
Scubaquarius

Originally Posted by Speedway2

So I am interested in your opinion. What "rigid" bike do you recommend that I could upgrade with high inflation tires?

Thanks so much,
Scubaquarius
Old 01-24-21, 10:50 AM
hokiefyd 

Bikes: More bikes than riders

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 1438 Post(s)
Liked 749 Times in 559 Posts
I'd recommend buying what feels the best to you. You're not likely out there looking to keep up with a paceline or looking to score King-Of-The-Mountain times on Strava. If you're like most Cypress buyers, you're probably looking for a pleasant-riding bike that you can ride recreationally on mixed surfaces. Either Cypress model (the base model or the DX) will do that very well. There is a rigid fork version of the Cypress with rim brakes if you prefer it, but there's nothing wrong with the Cypress' suspension fork. It is heavier than a rigid fork and it will add comfort to your ride in certain circumstances. There are both benefits and drawbacks to anything and suspension forks are no exception. Some people don't prefer them for where and how they ride and that's great. Some people do prefer them for where and how they ride and that's great also.

So try both versions of the Cypress and see what you think feels the best. Maybe you can't tell a difference and you might like to save the 100 bucks. Maybe you can tell the difference and are happy to pay the $100 difference to have the fork or the disc brakes.

The Escape line has rigid forks, but the riding posture will be more aggressive. The Roam series is similar to the Cypress, with suspension forks, but they have a slightly more aggressive nature.

I agree with you that the bike shop makes all the difference, especially if you know you are happy with one vs. another. Trek bikes are also good, and the parts are pretty standard. All the bolt-ons are commodity items. Giant even builds many of the frames for Trek under contract. So the bikes, generally, are awfully similar in terms of quality of materials -- just ride different choices to see what feels good to you and which one makes you smile. That is the one to buy!
Old 01-24-21, 10:58 AM
Scubaquarius

Originally Posted by hokiefyd
I'd recommend buying what feels the best to you. You're not likely out there looking to keep up with a paceline or looking to score King-Of-The-Mountain times on Strava. If you're like most Cypress buyers, you're probably looking for a pleasant-riding bike that you can ride recreationally on mixed surfaces. Either Cypress model (the base model or the DX) will do that very well. There is a rigid fork version of the Cypress with rim brakes if you prefer it, but there's nothing wrong with the Cypress' suspension fork. It is heavier than a rigid fork and it will add comfort to your ride in certain circumstances. There are both benefits and drawbacks to anything and suspension forks are no exception. Some people don't prefer them for where and how they ride and that's great. Some people do prefer them for where and how they ride and that's great also.

So try both versions of the Cypress and see what you think feels the best. Maybe you can't tell a difference and you might like to save the 100 bucks. Maybe you can tell the difference and are happy to pay the $100 difference to have the fork or the disc brakes.

The Escape line has rigid forks, but the riding posture will be more aggressive. The Roam series is similar to the Cypress, with suspension forks, but they have a slightly more aggressive nature.

I agree with you that the bike shop makes all the difference, especially if you know you are happy with one vs. another. Trek bikes are also good, and the parts are pretty standard. All the bolt-ons are commodity items. Giant even builds many of the frames for Trek under contract. So the bikes, generally, are awfully similar in terms of quality of materials -- just ride different choices to see what feels good to you and which one makes you smile. That is the one to buy!
Hokiefyd,

Thank you for the very informative response!

Happy riding,
Scubaquarius
Old 01-24-21, 12:40 PM
Speedway2

Bikes: United Motocross BMX, Specialized Langster, Giant OCR, Marin Muirwoods, Globe Roll2, VROD:)

Quoted: 236 Post(s)
Liked 400 Times in 242 Posts
Originally Posted by Scubaquarius
So I am interested in your opinion. What "rigid" bike do you recommend that I could upgrade with high inflation tires?

Thanks so much,
Scubaquarius
hokiefyd provided some good info. I'd start with that.

Stick with your local Giant Dealer and test ride what they have. Can't suggest a bike not knowing your intended use. Only You can determine that (and your wallet).
As far as tires I'm sure the LBS will be more than willing to help you get what's best for you.

Be sure to post pics when you get it.......
Old 01-24-21, 04:51 PM
hokiefyd 

Bikes: More bikes than riders

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 1438 Post(s)
Liked 749 Times in 559 Posts
The tires are definitely a good place to start with upgrades. The stock tires a going to be pretty firm-riding, due to inexpensive materials, a flat protection layer, or both. If flat protection isn't high on your list, you can get some really supple tires to replace them that will improve the ride, regardless of the model of bike you choose. If flat protection is important to you, you can still get higher quality tires in the aftermarket (such as from Schwalbe and Continental) that should provide a better ride if you're interested in that.

Good luck!
Old 01-25-21, 01:54 PM
jskash

Bikes: 2021 Specialized Sirrus 6 and 2018 Giant Escape Disc

Quoted: 86 Post(s)
Liked 38 Times in 26 Posts
I started out on a Giant Cypress. It was great for two years, but then I realized I wanted something a little more aggressive. You sit pretty straight up on a Cypress. I now ride a Giant Escape. The geometry is much more comfortable for me and I can ride it a bit faster and longer than the Cypress.
Old 01-27-21, 05:54 PM
442dude

Bikes: Giant Cypress DX, Trek 800. Liv Sedona DX (hers)

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 2 Posts
Hope I'm not too late to be helpful...I've been riding a 2017 Cypress DX since I bought it new in 2017. I've got about 4000 miles on it so far and I'm absolutely in love with it. I did a little checking on the features of the latest model..I've got rim brakes & different tire size than they offer now as well as Shimano front & rear derailleurs. Mine also has Shimano shifters, not sure what the difference is with the current model's Microshift setup. Most else seems pretty much the same.

The more upright position is perfect for me - my spine isn't what it used to be and I really notice it after I've ridden my Trek 800 for a while (my wintertime ride). Your back will thank you! I'll do 40-50 miles and I'm still feeling like I could keep going but I'm getting really hungry - there's only so far peanut butter sandwiches and granola bars can take you.

If you bring one home, here's the first thing to do: Change that giant sized (no pun intended) saddle ASAP. Maybe even have the bike shop put the new one before you take it home. I went with a Giant Flow saddle and it was the best thing I ever did. As for the suspension seatpost, you'll never even notice it's there. Tighten the adjustment on it as tight as it will go within reason and forget about it.

You'll come to appreciate the suspension fork - it probably adds weight that you don't need but it does a good job soaking up bumps & such. Once again...I notice it most in the spring after a winter of riding one without it.

Tires: I put over 3500 miles on the stock tires...actually I've only replaced the rear so far, the front one still has plenty of life in it and it's spent a lot of time on trails. The rear one I pulled off actually had a small hole in it that I never noticed since it never went flat. I replaced it with the comparable stock replacement that I ordered on Giant's website. Replaced the stock pedals with ones from Giant's website as well - I think they were called "Core" or something like that - pinner pedals - I'm not coordinated enough to clip in. They're worlds better than the standard ones that come with the bike.

If you haven't bought something already - give the Cypress DX a long look. You'll enjoy every minute you're on it. But get rid of that stock saddle ASAP!
Old 07-30-21, 05:33 PM
Pedaled

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Cypress vs Verve

Originally Posted by Scubaquarius
I see alot of talk about various Treks on here - anyone riding a Giant Cypress DX 2021 disc or have opinions about this vs. any of the Treks?

Thanks,
Scubaquarius
Coming in way late here, Scubaquarius, but what did you buy. I was up in the air wrt bikes. I had it narrowed down between Trek Verve 2 and Cypress DX. After riding both on a bit of bumpy terrain, I could tell a difference between the suspension fork of of the DX over the rigid of the Trek. Im 65 and used to a suspension fork easing some of the burden on my hands and arms. Even though the DX is a bit heavier, and doesn’t have as nice of components (hydraulic disc vs. cable for one) I still opted for it over the Verve 2. I must honestly say that the Giant BS tech also helped in my decision.
Old 08-28-21, 03:02 AM
fdhill

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Curious about upright position

Originally Posted by 442dude
Hope I'm not too late to be helpful...I've been riding a 2017 Cypress DX since I bought it new in 2017. I've got about 4000 miles on it so far and I'm absolutely in love with it. I did a little checking on the features of the latest model..I've got rim brakes & different tire size than they offer now as well as Shimano front & rear derailleurs. Mine also has Shimano shifters, not sure what the difference is with the current model's Microshift setup. Most else seems pretty much the same.

The more upright position is perfect for me - my spine isn't what it used to be and I really notice it after I've ridden my Trek 800 for a while (my wintertime ride). Your back will thank you! I'll do 40-50 miles and I'm still feeling like I could keep going but I'm getting really hungry - there's only so far peanut butter sandwiches and granola bars can take you.

If you bring one home, here's the first thing to do: Change that giant sized (no pun intended) saddle ASAP. Maybe even have the bike shop put the new one before you take it home. I went with a Giant Flow saddle and it was the best thing I ever did. As for the suspension seatpost, you'll never even notice it's there. Tighten the adjustment on it as tight as it will go within reason and forget about it.

You'll come to appreciate the suspension fork - it probably adds weight that you don't need but it does a good job soaking up bumps & such. Once again...I notice it most in the spring after a winter of riding one without it.

Tires: I put over 3500 miles on the stock tires...actually I've only replaced the rear so far, the front one still has plenty of life in it and it's spent a lot of time on trails. The rear one I pulled off actually had a small hole in it that I never noticed since it never went flat. I replaced it with the comparable stock replacement that I ordered on Giant's website. Replaced the stock pedals with ones from Giant's website as well - I think they were called "Core" or something like that - pinner pedals - I'm not coordinated enough to clip in. They're worlds better than the standard ones that come with the bike.

If you haven't bought something already - give the Cypress DX a long look. You'll enjoy every minute you're on it. But get rid of that stock saddle ASAP!
Sounds like you really like this bike. I stopped riding a while back because of tendinitis in my elbow due to the pressure on my wrist. I’m now looking at bikes that are more upright to alleviate that problem. How upright is upright on this bike? Thanks!
Old 08-28-21, 03:03 AM
fdhill

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Curious about upright position

Originally Posted by 442dude

Sounds like you really like this bike. I stopped riding a while back because of tendinitis in my elbow due to the pressure on my wrist. I’m now looking at bikes that are more upright to alleviate that problem. How upright is upright on this bike? Thanks!
Old 08-28-21, 06:36 AM
442dude

Bikes: Giant Cypress DX, Trek 800. Liv Sedona DX (hers)

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by fdhill
Oh yeah...ride it every day when I can. It will go as upright as you want. I had neck surgery so I needed something where I didn't have to lift my head up too much. The stem is adjustable for height as well as angle on the DX model so you can tilt it towards you or away. I think just about anyone could find a comfortable position for the handlebars. If you adjusted it full up you could probably sit almost perfectly straight up. Right out of the box I bet you'll be able to find a position to make your elbow and wrist feel better.

I tell everyone who will listen how much I like the Cypress and while I'm not an expert by any means I recommend it highly. I could ride it all day...and have...