Notices
Professional Cycling For the Fans Follow the Tour de France,the Giro de Italia, the Spring Classics, or other professional cycling races? Here's your home...

Bob Roll La Vuelta

Old 09-01-21, 05:21 PM
Chinghis

Bikes: Historical: Schwinn Speedster; Schwinn Collegiate; 1981 Ross Gran Tour; 1981 Dawes Atlantis; 1991 Specialized Rockhopper. Current: 1987 Ritchey Ultra; 1987 Centurion Ironman Dave Scott Master; 1992 Specialized Stumpjumper FS

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 209 Post(s)
Liked 178 Times in 111 Posts
Originally Posted by cyclezen
Commentating is very hard, even harder to be a great commentator, whatever your roll, play by play, or color.
Check any sport, the commentators all have 'redundancy', you can't constantly be creating new key comments, on the fly, and have it work well, and do it timely enough to suit the action...
I can remember back the few times, while working a race, and asked to take over commentary for a race... I SUCKED!
I just couldn't get the thoughts and words together before the peloton was well past the stands... And mostly these were Crits - so I SUCKed, lap after lap after lap... LOL!
good commentating is an art, a gift and a skill to be honed, like sprinting...
Thx
Yuri
Yeah, I listen to baseball on the radio, since I don't subscribe to cable or any MLB streaming. I found that after about 100 games this year (and countless more for the past few years), I found that one of the announcers is really starting to grate on me. I start yelling at the radio, "You said the same thing yesterday!"

Sorry, don't watch any Bob Roll cycling commentary, but I've always kind of liked him.
Old 09-01-21, 09:25 PM
MinnMan

Bikes: 2022 Salsa Beargrease Carbon Deore 11, 2020 Salsa Warbird GRX 600, 2020 Canyon Ultimate CF SLX disc 9.0 Di2, 2020 Catrike Eola, 2016 Masi cxgr, 2011, Felt F3 Ltd, 2010 Trek 2.1, 2009 KHS Flite 220

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 4363 Post(s)
Liked 3,000 Times in 1,853 Posts
Commentating is very hard, even harder to be a great commentator, whatever your roll, play by play, or color.
Check any sport, the commentators all have 'redundancy', you can't constantly be creating new key comments, on the fly, and have it work well, and do it timely enough to suit the action...
I can remember back the few times, while working a race, and asked to take over commentary for a race... I SUCKED!
I just couldn't get the thoughts and words together before the peloton was well past the stands... And mostly these were Crits - so I SUCKed, lap after lap after lap... LOL!
good commentating is an art, a gift and a skill to be honed, like sprinting...
Thx
Yuri
Different times and different sports, but the great Marv Albert, who passed away recently, was a god of sport commentating. When I was growing up in NY, he did the radio broadcasts for basketball (knicks) and hockey (Rangers) and all alone and with no visuals, he filled out a world without a moment of dead air. It was wondrous.
Old 09-01-21, 09:54 PM
cyclezen
OM boy

Bikes: a bunch

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 503 Post(s)
Liked 631 Times in 430 Posts
Originally Posted by MinnMan
Different times and different sports, but the great Marv Albert, who passed away recently, was a god of sport commentating. When I was growing up in NY, he did the radio broadcasts for basketball (knicks) and hockey (Rangers) and all alone and with no visuals, he filled out a world without a moment of dead air. It was wondrous.
Marv Albert passed ??? So Sad. I Loved when he did the broadcast - was almost as good as being there, and better in some ways...
When he took over the Ranger games, I was worried because the guys before him had been really great. After 2 games I was stoked - he was awesome!
He wasn't that old, not much older than me... ?
He is missed and his work made the games more exciting and was always on point. Definitely a sports announcing/commenting legend.
Thx
Yuri
Old 09-01-21, 10:12 PM
MinnMan

Bikes: 2022 Salsa Beargrease Carbon Deore 11, 2020 Salsa Warbird GRX 600, 2020 Canyon Ultimate CF SLX disc 9.0 Di2, 2020 Catrike Eola, 2016 Masi cxgr, 2011, Felt F3 Ltd, 2010 Trek 2.1, 2009 KHS Flite 220

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 4363 Post(s)
Liked 3,000 Times in 1,853 Posts
Marv Albert passed ??? So Sad. I Loved when he did the broadcast - was almost as good as being there, and better in some ways...
When he took over the Ranger games, I was worried because the guys before him had been really great. After 2 games I was stoked - he was awesome!
He wasn't that old, not much older than me... ?
He is missed and his work made the games more exciting and was always on point. Definitely a sports announcing/commenting legend.
Thx
Yuri
No, I had it wrong! He retired this year (at 80), but he's alive.

I was listening to him call Knicks and Rangers games ln the late 60s and early 70s.
Old 09-01-21, 11:07 PM
cyclezen
OM boy

Originally Posted by MinnMan
No, I had it wrong! He retired this year (at 80), but he's alive.

I was listening to him call Knicks and Rangers games ln the late 60s and early 70s.
Yeah !!! Hope he does a few 'special' games... course it's difficult staying up on players iff'n you're not doing it regularly...

LOL! yes, 60 - 70's Ranger games - we would be watchin the games in my friend's garage, and shooting pucks... LOL!
Thx
Yuri
Old 09-02-21, 04:57 AM
slcbob
bored of "Senior Member"

Bikes: Cross-Check/Nexus commuter. Several others for various forms of play.

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 642 Post(s)
Liked 592 Times in 453 Posts
Speaking of the devil, I saw this go by recently c/o Google creeper's suggested links, which I blame on having read this thread.

https://roadbikeaction.com/bob-rolls...r-cyclist/amp/

Bob is opinionated and has a vivid way of putting things that I usually appreciate.
Likes For slcbob:
Old 09-02-21, 06:37 AM
Snotrub

Bikes: 2012 Cannondale Carbon Flash 2; 2017 Cannondale CAADX 105; 2021 Trek Domane SL6; 2021 Trek Top Fuel 9.7

Quoted: 44 Post(s)
Liked 72 Times in 42 Posts
From Bob Roll's 10 Best Tips For Being a Better Cyclist:

Do not suffer like a pro! Bike racers at the highest level have a pain threshold that will take your breath away. They hover just below cardiac arrest, suffocation, and lactic acid induced asphyxiation for many hours each race day. Most professional sports that the masses enjoy are variations on the theme of hand-eye coordination.
Bike racing is different. As a pro, you launch yourself into an inferno of misery and abject suffering. For the pros, this is a meaningful and worthwhile endeavor. If you do it well and frequently, you will be paid handsomely. For most people, though, the depths to which the pros descend into Purgatory are to be avoided. It is fine to creep up to the edge and look down into the lake of fire, but better to back away from leaping into the place where bad folks go when they die.

https://roadbikeaction.com/bob-rolls...MjJMepoYo-RYBA

Gotta Love Bobke.
Old 09-02-21, 06:40 AM
Snotrub

Bikes: 2012 Cannondale Carbon Flash 2; 2017 Cannondale CAADX 105; 2021 Trek Domane SL6; 2021 Trek Top Fuel 9.7

Quoted: 44 Post(s)
Liked 72 Times in 42 Posts
Originally Posted by slcbob
Speaking of the devil, I saw this go by recently c/o Google creeper's suggested links, which I blame on having read this thread.

Bob is opinionated and has a vivid way of putting things that I usually appreciate.
I skipped right by your post. Didn't see it. Oops.
Old 09-02-21, 07:05 AM
slcbob
bored of "Senior Member"

Bikes: Cross-Check/Nexus commuter. Several others for various forms of play.

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 642 Post(s)
Liked 592 Times in 453 Posts
Hakuna matata.
Old 09-02-21, 11:35 AM
cyclezen
OM boy

Originally Posted by slcbob

Love It! All True! A good guide to a lifetime of cycling.
Thx a bunc for the link!
Yuri