Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

Centuries made easy, LOL. My 1973 CCM with new SA RD3.

Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

Old 08-31-21, 12:28 AM
GamblerGORD53

Bikes: 2013 Custom SA5w / Rohloff Tourster

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1222 Post(s)
Liked 314 Times in 241 Posts

For some reason all my last 10 mile century or close rides have been a struggle, on my 2 IGH heavyweights with 3 diff back wheels. Cramps after 65 miles and even before that, I keep needing to stop from tiredness more as the ride goes on. I feel it mostly in my calves and dehydration. My last Rohloff ride was an easy 85 miles, but I barely got home. WTF.

So anyway, it was my 650B CCMs turn. I rode it SE last Wed. to Tofield. 100.3 miles in 8Hr 30 moving and 13 hours clock. The same slowness as my other rides, but only half the tiredness breaks. Maybe the problem is going 12 days or so between long rides and sooner is better.

Then I finally installed a second bottle holder, which helps a lot, for my Gatorade. And I put my best grips on this time. This seat is my best now. Nothing slows me down like a sore seat.

Yesterday was perfect weather again, so I headed NE, with a S breeze. I was relatively flying along all day. I averaged 14.3 mph for the 43 miles to the destination town, 3.3 hours clock, 3 hours moving. Any little down slope, I was in high gear and going 18+. The 1st 9 miles to the highway were less than 12 mph. So I have to avg. near 16 highway to get it up to 14.3.
I went up 2 steep hills fine with the 48 GI, the ones I go down at 43 to 46 mph when I have 115 GIs. LOL.

I always have an hour lunch and putter around for an hour+ after, sightseeing. I stopped for an icecream break at a tourist attraction at 68 miles, then A+W at 89 miles. I had to pad some miles in the city on the way home.
So anyway, I had NO cramps and didn't get tired at all. Only about 6 mini stops for a rest. Plus I stop for photos to record the ride.
Finished 100.6 miles in 11 1/4 hrs clock and 7Hr46 moving. Only 10 min. more than my 2 previous bests. I'm quite happy. This ride felt like my fabulous double my age ride last year, when my SA XL-RD5w was working perfectly. But Darn, no fast riders going my way to chase as usual.

You guys just don't see how EASY a 3 speed goes. LOL. Nothing beats direct drive middle gear. Half the time, I don't bother with 1st.

Last edited by GamblerGORD53; 08-31-21 at 11:12 AM.
Old 08-31-21, 06:37 AM
shelbyfv
Expired Member

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 3638 Post(s)
Liked 5,318 Times in 2,703 Posts
Kudos I expect there are few here who could/would ride that beast 100 miles!
Likes For shelbyfv:
Old 08-31-21, 07:52 AM
Helderberg

Bikes: Had an old Columbia in the 80's, here a used Schwinn hybrid, now a Cannondale Quick 3 and a Topstone 105..

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 249 Post(s)
Liked 306 Times in 139 Posts
I give you a lot of credit. Nice ride.
Frank.
Likes For Helderberg:
Old 08-31-21, 11:05 AM
GamblerGORD53

Thanks. I have all day for my rides, no constraints except for darkness on the highway with no lights.
The HB is actually another 20 years older, off my great-uncle's SS Rudge. It is nickel plated I think, damn near still good as new, but for scratches when turned upside down to fix a flat. I now have 4,300 miles on this CCM in 4 years. I love seeing the golden grain fields.

Last edited by GamblerGORD53; 08-31-21 at 08:20 PM.
Likes For GamblerGORD53:
Old 08-31-21, 09:39 PM
rsbob 
Grupetto Bob

Bikes: Bikey McBike Face

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 2512 Post(s)
Liked 5,430 Times in 2,827 Posts
Nice going and 2 water bottles are always a good idea on long rides. Getting caught short of fluids is bad news for the rest of the ride. Try taking a drink every 15minutes or so.

I have ‘graduated’ from full centuries to metric centuries. I just don’t enjoy myself when I am getting into 70+ miles. Feels more like a chore than fun, but that is just me. I my 30s and 40s used to do centuries, double centuries and hellacious one day events with 10,000’ of climbing and 150 or more miles. Been there and done that, so nothing to prove to myself.

But good on you for continuing to go the distance and enjoying yourself along the way. Keep doing it as long as you can.

Likes For rsbob:
Old 08-31-21, 10:36 PM
GamblerGORD53

Actually, I always have a third or fourth bottle. 1 was in the bag. 1 Gatorade and the rest are water. Both get refilled. Some rides I drank 7 and still not enough. My cotton clothes are extra sweaty. Oh well.
Yes, a lot of my rides are suffer fests too. But 133 miles and 14 hours is about my limit. Riding in the dark on a highway is not fun.
I really liked riding thru Seattle-ish in 2018.

Last edited by GamblerGORD53; 09-01-21 at 12:31 AM.
Likes For GamblerGORD53:
Old 09-01-21, 01:18 PM
Jtmav

Bikes: Trek Domane al5

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked 68 Times in 35 Posts
So I had a question regarding how to work up to a century ride. I recently over the past 18 months started to ride regularly. I will be turning 70 in November. I was a runner till my early 50’s then began rowing on an erg till the pandemic hit, gym closed so I dragged out a 13 year old Globe hybrid of mine, had it tuned and started riding. Fast forward I just bought a new Trek Domane al5 disc. I have been riding 20-27 miles 3 times a week usually with a rest day between. Any advice as to how incrementally I should progress to ride a long distance, 75-100 miles. Should I slowly add miles to each week or keep the same distance and just add one longer ride every couple of weeks. I know from my running days that I would add a long run if I was training for a race. At 70 I’m looking to do this patiently and not burn myself out. Seems funny that when I was younger I was always in a hurry, why now with less time ahead am I becoming patient 🤔. Any advice is appreciated
Old 09-01-21, 03:03 PM
big john

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 8191 Post(s)
Liked 8,851 Times in 4,396 Posts
Originally Posted by Jtmav
So I had a question regarding how to work up to a century ride. I recently over the past 18 months started to ride regularly. I will be turning 70 in November. I was a runner till my early 50’s then began rowing on an erg till the pandemic hit, gym closed so I dragged out a 13 year old Globe hybrid of mine, had it tuned and started riding. Fast forward I just bought a new Trek Domane al5 disc. I have been riding 20-27 miles 3 times a week usually with a rest day between. Any advice as to how incrementally I should progress to ride a long distance, 75-100 miles. Should I slowly add miles to each week or keep the same distance and just add one longer ride every couple of weeks. I know from my running days that I would add a long run if I was training for a race. At 70 I’m looking to do this patiently and not burn myself out. Seems funny that when I was younger I was always in a hurry, why now with less time ahead am I becoming patient 🤔. Any advice is appreciated
Really, a lot is going to depend on your body and how quickly you can ramp it up and recover. If 27 miles is your longest ride I would think you should start bumping that up until you feel comfortable doing 75. There are a lot of "Training for your first century" resources out there, but there are so many variables.

To me, a huge factor is the terrain. A century with 5000 feet of climbing is going to be harder than a flat one, especially if you're heavier than a skinny climber.

You can keep doing your 27 mile rides but throw in a longer ride at least once a week. Don't forget rest days when you start riding more.
Likes For big john:
Old 09-01-21, 03:16 PM
Jtmav

Bikes: Trek Domane al5

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked 68 Times in 35 Posts
Thanks, I’m reasonably fit for my age, 5’9” 155lbs and my rides are mostly on dedicated paths. Some incline but nothing serious. I think I will just add some miles to one of my rides and see how I feel both during and after. At this time of life I just really would like to progress but not at the expense of enjoying the time out there. If I get to the point of being overly sore and tired I will pull back a bit. Living in New England Mother Nature will play a big role in the opportunities for rides. I plan to spend the winter months back on the erg and put some time in the weight room, just to mix it up a bit. Fall so beautiful here I plan on having some nice rides in the coming weeks.
Thanks for the reply
Old 09-01-21, 03:33 PM
GamblerGORD53

You really should be able to do more. If anything you are a bit underweight. Do some lifting.
Don't fight the wind for one thing, ride a different direction. That's the first thing I do every ride. Start going 40 miles. I don't see how you can't on that bike. Unless maybe drops aren't for you. I sure hate them. And find a quiet highway with shoulders. That's the only way to bump miles without getting bored silly.
Plus, we don't know how fast you are trying to go. You need to figure out how fast you go at 50 or 60% effort. Do that on long rides. For me that's 15 to 16 mph. + or - for the wind. Same on any bike, go as fast as the wind lets you.

27 miles is a rest day for me, and I'm 67. I go out for fast food meals 6 miles away, just for starters. Rain or dark cloudy days are the no go for me. But really, my city rides are more like 40% effort and basically sight seeing. Maybe yours are 80%. Not the same at all.
I have been doing less than many here, 3 to 6,000 miles a year. I did a tour to Oregon coast in 2018 on my 120 lb custom.
I was only 50 when I bumped up the miles when I had a soft job with fewer hours. I just went for a 10 mile longer ride every weekend that summer. Then in 2012 I changed to IGH bikes and really went up to 100 to 125 mile rides. For those I'm often bonked for 2 days after. LOL.
I ride anywhere, busy or not. Many are skittish about this, even the experienced regular riders. Get a MIRROR.

Last edited by GamblerGORD53; 10-23-21 at 10:36 PM.
Likes For GamblerGORD53:
Old 09-01-21, 05:49 PM
big john

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 8191 Post(s)
Liked 8,851 Times in 4,396 Posts
Thanks, I’m reasonably fit for my age, 5’9” 155lbs and my rides are mostly on dedicated paths. Some incline but nothing serious. I think I will just add some miles to one of my rides and see how I feel both during and after. At this time of life I just really would like to progress but not at the expense of enjoying the time out there. If I get to the point of being overly sore and tired I will pull back a bit. Living in New England Mother Nature will play a big role in the opportunities for rides. I plan to spend the winter months back on the erg and put some time in the weight room, just to mix it up a bit. Fall so beautiful here I plan on having some nice rides in the coming weeks.
Thanks for the reply
I feel the same about some of this. Years ago I did a club century every Saturday and I did a number of organized centuries, too. I've done 1000's of club rides and as older riders leave and younger ones come along it gets harder to keep up on the A rides. I have more fun on a ride that's a bit slower. I haven't done a century in 2 years and I don't know if I want to.
In April I did a solo ride of about 80 miles with 7700 feet of climbing. I felt ok and didn't have any problem but I just wanted it to be over before it was. I think my happy place is 65-70 miles with maybe 4- 5000 feet of gain, depending on who I'm chasing.
Old 09-01-21, 08:29 PM
rsbob 
Grupetto Bob

Bikes: Bikey McBike Face

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 2512 Post(s)
Liked 5,430 Times in 2,827 Posts
Google: Training plans for riding a century. There are several good sites with lots of good information on how to ramp up your training and the importance of rest, nutrition and hydration.

Old 09-02-21, 03:31 PM
davester

Bikes: 1981 Ron Cooper, 1974 Cinelli Speciale Corsa, 2000 Gary Fisher Sugar 1, 1986 Miyata 710, 1982 Raleigh "International"

Mentioned: 97 Post(s)
Quoted: 926 Post(s)
Liked 1,285 Times in 484 Posts
You've gotten good advice above regarding googling century training plans. I will add that 20-27 miles 3 times a week is perhaps enough to maintain a low level of fitness but will not result in improvements. You are going to need to up your frequency. Also, you will only improve if you vary your training and include some fast rides. Perhaps twice a week do some interval training with multiple all out sprints interspersed with easy riding and then a couple of times a week do some evenly paced rides while expanding distances to say 50 miles or so. Also, hill work is critical unless you live somewhere like Kansas or Florida.
Old 09-03-21, 09:12 AM
Richard Cranium

Bikes: 2003 LeMond -various other junk bikes

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 78 Post(s)
Liked 43 Times in 34 Posts
Great ride report! I love the pics and the clearly stated measures of effort and distance. The fact that you can "smell the roses" while you ride - but keep attentive to the physical measures of riding time and conditions demonstrate just what a sharp old bird you are.

The first new bicycle I ever owned was a Sturmey-Archer / AMF 26" model. This bike had a 3-spd "gear-stick" mounted on the top tube instead of the handlebar trigger shifter.

I bought it in 1966 for $24.99 plus 28 cents tax. After seeing your post i feel a little sad - realizing now - that I never rode a Century on it. I did however manage several rides over 50 miles.........

Staged photo -an hour after finishing 52 mile ride to my grandparents home. August 1967

3spd shifter was in a gaudy "chrome" plastic box on the top tube.
Likes For Richard Cranium:
Old 09-06-21, 09:38 AM
GamblerGORD53

============ Richard Quote >>
The first new bicycle I ever owned was a Sturmey-Archer / AMF 26" model. This bike had a 3-spd "gear-stick" mounted on the top tube instead of the handlebar trigger shifter.

I bought it in 1966 for $24.99 plus 28 cents tax. After seeing your post i feel a little sad - realizing now - that I never rode a Century on it. I did however manage several rides over 50 miles.........

Staged photo -an hour after finishing 52 mile ride to my grandparents home. August 1967.
==============
Nice pic, we look similar. LOL. I have a photo like that, which my dad took. It was snowing a fluffy 5" as I slowly rode my SS Rudge home from tech school.
Don't be sorry. I don't think I rode my first 3 bikes much over 52 miles. I really wish I had bought this CCM in 1973, instead of a crappy Raleigh 5 derailleur, except for these green everlasting grips. I totally hated cotter cranks and didn't trust them to go 100 miles for sure.
Didn't you go 52 miles both ways?? That's a century. Was that a 4 hour ride? It's not too late to get a 3 spd and just do it. My shifters are in the same spot, but yah those huge handles were as gaudy as a 1958 Buick. LOL.
So we are within a year or 2 of age. You lifetime numbers are way over double mine. I didn't do much before 50.

This Friday was the only perfect day for a ride this week. So my darn fool bike dragged me another 104.7 miles. LOL. I went south with a light W wind. But somehow it felt like it was slowing me down both ways. Only the freeway 20 miles were fast. 8Hr38 min moving and 11Hr25 min clock. I was even fresher at the end. Rides a week apart is real good for getting stronger. These long rides are the only ones I record a bit in my daily planners.

This is a great museum in Wetaskiwin. Cars, airplanes, construction and farm machines.

Last edited by GamblerGORD53; 09-15-21 at 09:42 AM.
Old 09-09-21, 05:19 AM
Richard Cranium

Bikes: 2003 LeMond -various other junk bikes

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 78 Post(s)
Liked 43 Times in 34 Posts
I did ride my 3spd 52 miles in 4hrs 30 mins - and that was probably the "greatest ride" I had until at least a year later.

I did notice the Ashtabula crank on your bike - and yes cotter pinned crank arms always seemed like a bad idea to me as well. Replacing bearing cups with a hammer and screw driver seemed sensible as well.

Funny deal - never remembered seeing a CCM bicycle till many years later - but became well aware of CCM hockey equipment during high school years. I had a pair of hockey skates.

First Century bike was a used Schwinn Continental - lacking a front derailleur - so technically a five speed - another faked photo - day after "history making Century ride...

Bike was always ridden on big chain ring.
Likes For Richard Cranium:
Old 09-09-21, 11:20 PM
GamblerGORD53

CCM is to Canada, what Schwinn was to USA. Neither made any dent at all in the other country.
Import duties were a big thing till the 90s. Raleigh was supposedly the big name in Canada for better bikes, yet the cheaper simpler ways were sometimes better. CCM is still the kings of hockey stuff.
Looks like you had already outgrown that bike. I never did outgrow my Uncle's 23 1/2 " frame. LOL. My glorious ride when I was I guess 20, was going about 50 miles between lunch and supper on that too big SS. Ate an O'Henry bar and coke in the turnaround town. I had a pint paint can strapped to the TT to hold a spare tube and tire pryers. It rusted of course.

Last edited by GamblerGORD53; 09-09-21 at 11:28 PM.
Old 09-10-21, 08:14 AM
BlazingPedals

Bikes: Trek 7500, RANS V-Rex, Optima Baron, Velokraft NoCom, M-5 Carbon Highracer, Catrike Speed

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 1511 Post(s)
Liked 733 Times in 454 Posts
What model of CCM was yours? My second road bike was a CCM Silver Ghost, which was fairly upscale with a Reynolds 531 frame and tubbies. Most of the CCM line-up had gaspipe frames and much lower-quality components.
Old 09-10-21, 10:34 PM
GamblerGORD53

Originally Posted by BlazingPedals
What model of CCM was yours? My second road bike was a CCM Silver Ghost, which was fairly upscale with a Reynolds 531 frame and tubbies. Most of the CCM line-up had gaspipe frames and much lower-quality components.
It's a 1973 Elan. Came with the SA AW3. The color is actually an awful burgundy. Likely why I dismissed it at the time.
Yah, these were nothing but straight gage with crimp D-Os. 4 years ago in C+V, I compared this to the Raleigh 5 dR I bought instead. The CCM wins hands down. Raleighs were horrible oddball sized everything.
I actually used the original front hub in the new wheel, since it's less than 100 mm and I can't put a new dyno on it. It has 7 caged 1/4" balls. This thing coasts forever. These Raleigh front hubs were by far the WORST I have ever seen. 1 lock nut and supposed to adjust on the fork?? WTF.

Last edited by GamblerGORD53; 09-15-21 at 09:33 AM.
Old 09-11-21, 09:47 PM
gorillimo

Bikes: Surly Cross Check, Specialized Enduro Pro, Lemond Tourmalet

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 105 Post(s)
Liked 192 Times in 94 Posts
Awesome! Making me feel guilty about questioning if I would ride my Surly Cross Check with North Road bars on a century......
Likes For gorillimo: