Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

How to completely fail at finishing a Century

Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

How to completely fail at finishing a Century

Old 09-13-21, 11:46 AM
rumrunn6

Bikes: Bottecchia Sprint, GT Timberline 29r, Marin Muirwoods 29er, Trek FX Alpha 7.0

Mentioned: 112 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5218 Post(s)
Liked 3,564 Times in 2,331 Posts
well at least you weren't dumb enough to miscalculate the mileage like some ppl ... (meaning me, I thought a section of rail trail was 25 miles so I rode it 4 times but it was only 22 miles so I wound up w/ 88 miles by mistake. didn't realize it until a cpl days later)

Last edited by rumrunn6; 09-14-21 at 01:16 PM.
Old 09-14-21, 12:55 PM
travelerman

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Liked 44 Times in 23 Posts
A metric (62 miles).
Old 09-14-21, 01:06 PM
travelerman

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Liked 44 Times in 23 Posts
BTW, two years ago, I was probably at my cycling endurance peak, having finished a few 50 mile rides in the early and mid-summer, then ratcheting it up to metrics, along with a 75-mile crazy hilly climbing ride in the mid-summer that took all I had to finish. I had started the summer with a workplace total cycling miles challenge in the month of May (which I won), so none of my rides after that were under 20 miles.
By the time I got to Labor Day weekend, I took on this particular century, with a good pace all the way to the finish, then the next weekend did another full century on BikeMS day one, followed by a 75-mile the next day. The 12 month period between that May and May 2020 was my highest mileage ever in a year. It was mainly about medium-paced (around 16-17mph) endurance riding, as opposed to the faster-paced short group rides I had previously enjoyed. Those tend to help me with strength and average speed, and also help build friendships that I like to have for the event rides (I can go solo for a while, but it's not preferable on the long-haul rides).
Sadly, we are short-handed at my job, and trying to recover staff and business from the lockdowns, so it looks like my days of riding 5-6 days/week are going to have to be put on hold for now :-(.