Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Clydesdales/Athenas (200+ lb / 91+ kg)
Reload this Page >

Small Triumph and maybe a realization...!!

Search
Notices
Clydesdales/Athenas (200+ lb / 91+ kg) Looking to lose that spare tire? Ideal weight 200+? Frustrated being a large cyclist in a sport geared for the ultra-light? Learn about the bikes and parts that can take the abuse of a heavier cyclist, how to keep your body going while losing the weight, and get support from others who've been successful.

Search this Thread

Old 09-14-21, 11:05 PM
deaninkl

Bikes: 2009 Giant TCR Aluxx SL, 2015 Bruno 700c Tour, Canyon Urban 8.0, Giant FCR 2018,

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 48 Post(s)
Liked 14 Times in 11 Posts

So, I live on a plateau that sits on top of a hill, apart from cycling around the small town I live in, its down hill in every direction I go in. There are many directions to go, and varying levels of decent from smoking brakes to gentle 10km role down the hill to the sea. Overall elevation of the plateau is about 500m most ways I come back I'll end up with 4-600m of climb.. I most commonly do a circular trip of between 26 & 30km that takes me 90-120 minutes.. When I started doing these ride three years ago i pushed quite a bit.. I convinced myself it was a gear issue... but probably more to do with being 20kg overweight and being 62 years old...

More recently I have noticed that although I'm still slow, I'm only stopping once, for a coffee or water stop.. and I'm no longer pushing at all. This last weekend I got home after an early 5.30am start (we are subtropical so even with the end of summer we get 33C by 9.00am..) and I realized I had not gone into my low front ring (I have a 49/36/26 with an 11-34 at the back).. so even in the lowest gear on the middle ring my granny is only 28 GI...... My realization is that maybe those low gears I always though I needed (sub 20 GI) I don't actually need, and this opens up a way bigger choice of bikes I can chose.

Small wins put a big smile on my face.
Likes For deaninkl:
Old 09-15-21, 09:12 AM
PapaEZ

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
Small wins are always great. Very good for you. I'm hoping to get to the point when I'm not stopping or walking myself. I usually ride in the centre chainring on flats and small hills. Climbing steeper hills I have to walk as I'm in poor condition, just started riding again.

Anyways, congratulations on the victory!
Old 09-15-21, 03:46 PM
brawlo

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 288 Post(s)
Liked 76 Times in 57 Posts
Great win! I had a gearing experience back when I bought my previous road bike. It came with a 25-11 cassette and I was labouring and felt in need of a slightly smaller gear. So I ended up getting a 28-11 and that ended up being about the same time that my strength increased enough that I only used the 28 a few times. I went back to the 25-11 after about 6 months as the 28 wasn't getting touched. My current bike has a 23-11 but there's no epic climbs where I live. The longest climb will take you ~5min
Old 09-15-21, 09:36 PM
Bmach

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 440 Post(s)
Liked 264 Times in 162 Posts
Multiple small gains equal a big gain in my book. Nice job
Old 09-15-21, 09:54 PM
zandoval 

Bikes: Univega, Peu P6, Peu PR-10, Ted Williams, Peu UO-8, Peu UO-18 Mixte, Peu Dolomites

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 957 Post(s)
Liked 1,619 Times in 1,039 Posts
Originally Posted by deaninkl
...I'm no longer pushing at all.
WOW! That's

BIG!!!