Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Electric Bikes
Reload this Page >

Anyone using clipless pedals on ebike?

Notices
Electric Bikes Here's a place to discuss ebikes, from home grown to high-tech.

Old 08-31-21, 02:51 PM
Sempervee

Bikes: Cannondale Quick Disk 5 & Rad Power Mini

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Liked 30 Times in 25 Posts

Just wondering. Used previously with my regular road bike but not sure about using on ebike - if anyone does?
Old 08-31-21, 04:13 PM
BobG

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 316 Post(s)
Liked 116 Times in 81 Posts
Yep, I use the Shimano M324 dual pedal. Platform on one side ...

SPD on the other ...

Likes For BobG:
Old 08-31-21, 05:17 PM
Sempervee

Bikes: Cannondale Quick Disk 5 & Rad Power Mini

Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Liked 30 Times in 25 Posts
Originally Posted by BobG
Yep, I use the Shimano M324 dual pedal. Platform on one side ...

SPD on the other ...

Very cool having the option to do both!
Old 08-31-21, 07:50 PM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Bikes: Foundry Chilkoot Ti W/Ultegra Di2, Salsa Timberjack Ti, Cinelli Mash Work RandoCross Fun Time Machine, 1x9 XT Parts Hybrid, Co-Motion Cascadia, Specialized Langster, Phil Wood Apple VeloXS Frame (w/DA 7400), R+M Supercharger2 Rohloff, Habanero Ti 26

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 4323 Post(s)
Liked 3,945 Times in 2,638 Posts
I may at some point swap in my Shimano PD-T800s but so far not so much. I do know quite a number of people that do but since this is primarily a commuter and one of my bozo co-workers threw away my shop shoes and didn't mention it and the other bozo who I allowed to borrow them because they stupidly wore army boots didn't bother to attempt to replace them I just decided I don't want to bring shoes in all the time and switch out. Granted these were older shoes and I didn't wear them often but they were great for the times when I would ride my road bikes in.
Old 09-01-21, 07:28 AM
cat0020
Ride more, eat less

Bikes: Too many but never enough.

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 713 Post(s)
Liked 733 Times in 450 Posts
Depending on your usage of your e-bike.

Clipless pedals are great if you're focus on performance riding, get the most out of your legs and control the bike with your feet.
Not so great if you ride in constant stop-n-go traffic and require to follow traffic laws and clip in-n-out every other block.

Personally, I don't do much performance type cycling anymore.
Most of my bikes & e-bikes that I ride regularly have just plastic large platform pedals, for lightweight and surface volume to make contact with regular shoes.

Weight difference between single-sided clipless pedals with platform pedal on the other side and a large plastic platform pedal can be significant, especially if you have to lift the whole bike onto bike rack for transport.
Likes For cat0020:
Old 09-01-21, 07:39 AM
2old

Quoted: 877 Post(s)
Liked 810 Times in 612 Posts
As above, I used to employ clipless when needing to keep up with a fast group of friends off road. Now it's flats since, primarily, I'm riding with my wife and have no problem keeping up with her. For me, I like the ability to move my feet around at times and this seems to help keep my knees painless.
Old 09-01-21, 10:11 AM
chas58

Bikes: too many of all kinds

Mentioned: 35 Post(s)
Quoted: 1147 Post(s)
Liked 415 Times in 335 Posts
I do, but I'm wierd. I have a low powered bike that I designed to run at 100rpm - so it is basically a road bike that runs at speeds I would ride at a race pace or at a tandem pace with my brother.

Most ebikes are less than 70rpm, and at that point there isn't much use. Really, I get a lot of benefit from the upstroke to the pedal when clipped in. If I'm not doing that, there isn't much point.
Old 09-01-21, 10:57 AM
BobG

I climb a 14% hill on my regular trip home from the coffee shop. I find the SPDs keep me in the correct position over the pedals and may prevent a sudden lurch off the edge if I lose concentration when it gets steep. That said, I enjoy riding around town on the platform side with ordinary shoes/sandals. Yes, my double sided steel pedals are heavy but I've lost the weight battle already with my 17# ebike retro-fit! (gravity of descending pedal lifts the ascending pedal??) :^) The ones mentioned by veganbikes are a bit lighter.

Last edited by BobG; 09-01-21 at 07:09 PM. Reason: typo
Old 09-02-21, 06:13 PM
mwrider

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
I use the Shimano PD-T421 Click'R SPD Pedals. Platform on one side, clipless binding on the other. My shins are scarred from pedal teeth, so this was a nice change. My wife appreciates it. I can ride clipped in or commute in sneakers.
Likes For mwrider:
Old 09-04-21, 02:17 PM
Calsun
Banned

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 608 Post(s)
Liked 382 Times in 288 Posts
I did not with a trail type e-bike but will be using them with the new road e-bikes. The ones we have are Class III so no power from the motor unless one is pedaling so it is pedal assist only. Clipless allow for a lot more leg power to be used and this is very helpful when going up hills. So with a mountain bike I would be using flat pedals and shoes for flat pedals and with road bikes cleatless are the best choice.

I still go to mountain bike shoes for cleats as they provide a recessed cleat area and makes walking around when off the bike much less of a challenge than with the Shimano SL type of cleat.
Old 09-04-21, 09:50 PM
ChamoisDavisJr
ri alene

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 51 Post(s)
Liked 60 Times in 34 Posts
My wife uses SPD-SL on her Synapse Neo. All road riding for her, she’s used to them so no worries.
Old 09-05-21, 05:26 AM
BobG

Originally Posted by mwrider
I use the Shimano PD-T421 Click'R SPD Pedals.
Thanks for the suggestion mw. I just ordered a pair. The metal teeth on mine pictured above are indeed a hazard.
Old 09-05-21, 09:21 AM
OldRailfan
Old enough, hmmm?

Bikes: DeVinci, Bianchi, Nishiki, RBSM Mud Adder

Quoted: 70 Post(s)
Liked 113 Times in 82 Posts
Standard pedals with half toe clips works for me.
Old 09-15-21, 11:45 AM
Calsun
Banned

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 608 Post(s)
Liked 382 Times in 288 Posts
Originally Posted by ChamoisDavisJr
My wife uses SPD-SL on her Synapse Neo. All road riding for her, she’s used to them so no worries.
I have wood floors throughout much of my house and with the SPD-SL pedals I need to put on the little rubber booty before walking indoors. The extra support provided by the SL version has never been needed as I buy top grade bike shoes with stiff soles. I have a brand new pair of Shimano SL pedals and cleats and rubber covers in my garage as I decided they were not needed and a worry if I forget to have my cleat covers in hand when off the bike.
Likes For Calsun:
Old 09-16-21, 06:06 AM
KPREN

Bikes: 2008 S Works Stumpjumper FSR Carbon, 2016 E Fat Titanium Bike Custom built by me.

Quoted: 135 Post(s)
Liked 203 Times in 118 Posts
I haven't replaced a derailleur hanger since I stopped using clip in pedals. Merrill Jungle Mock or 5-10 shoes. No benefit to clip in pedals on an e bike. About as useful as a trailer hitch on a Ferrari.