Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Touring
Reload this Page >

Leather bar wrap?

Search
Notices
Touring Have a dream to ride a bike across your state, across the country, or around the world? Self-contained or fully supported? Trade ideas, adventures, and more in our bicycle touring forum.

Leather bar wrap?

Search this Thread

Old 08-18-21, 12:15 PM
Welshboy
PBP Ancien (2007)

Bikes: Cannondale CAADX (for commuting), Cannondale CAAD12, Cannondale CAAD12 Team CNCPT, Giant Contend 2

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 77 Post(s)
Liked 156 Times in 106 Posts
I briefly used Brooks leather bar tape simply to match my B17 saddle. I can't remember any issues during fitting but I do remember how slippery it was in the wet and had a hand slip off the bars on my first ride in the rain. Once I had my little scare I was fine! Comfort wise, well I forgot my padded mitts on one very long audax ride and I was comfortable enough.
Old 08-18-21, 12:15 PM
ClydeClydeson

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 581 Post(s)
Liked 921 Times in 518 Posts
Leather is a surprisingly comfortable material in just about any application. It also has the ability/feature to change colour and feel with use and time, probably almost always for the better. I would try it and see how it works.

I imagine the straightness of the cut and the quality of the wrap (your skill and ability to get it on even and tight) are as important as the material. A periodic application of a waterproofing or maybe a wax might be beneficial to avoid damage from sweaty hands and snot and spilt Gatorade.
Old 08-18-21, 12:26 PM
joesch

Bikes: 83 Colnago Super, 87 50th Daccordi, 79 & 87 Guerciotti's, 90s DB/GT Mtn Bikes, 90s Colnago Master and Titanio, 96 Serotta Colorado TG, 95/05 Colnago C40/C50, 06 DbyLS TI, 08 Lemond Filmore FG SS, 12 Cervelo R3, 20/15 Surly Stragler & Steamroller

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 600 Post(s)
Liked 778 Times in 496 Posts
Leather is the best IMO.
I have used many diff types of leather and high end bar tapes.
If riding in wet weather than some of the tacky rubber type tapes would probably be best.
Im the same with saddles, prefer leather like the Rolls.
Also why there are soo many Brooks die hard riders especially for touring bikes.
Old 08-18-21, 01:33 PM
headwind15
Bikeable

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 173 Post(s)
Liked 104 Times in 73 Posts
Lots of responses here. I wanted to chime in, but I do not know what benefit you are looking for? OP: Are you afraid the leather will degrade, fall off, turn as hard as a rock? Are you hoping this to be a solution for hurting hands? For me, I have had hand pressure issues and built custom wood oval shaped diameter increasers with rubber flip flop rubber padding over, before I put any tape over, and that has made a huge difference for me (specifically).
Old 08-20-21, 06:20 AM
Tourist in MSN

Bikes: 1961 Ideor, 1966 Perfekt 3 Speed AB Hub, 1994 Bridgestone MB-6, 2006 Airnimal Joey, 2009 Thorn Sherpa, 2013 Thorn Nomad MkII, 2015 VO Pass Hunter, 2017 Lynskey Backroad, 2017 Raleigh Gran Prix, 1980s Bianchi Mixte on a trainer. Others are now gone.

Mentioned: 47 Post(s)
Quoted: 3455 Post(s)
Liked 1,454 Times in 1,133 Posts
I put a leather cover on the steering wheel on my 1989 Jeep pickup truck. After it was quite worn, I replaced it with the same thing again. It was great for all 170k miles I put on that truck.

But on a bike that gets rained on, vibrates a lot on rough chip seal, occasionally gets the garden hose treatment, I use cheap cork tape.
Old 08-20-21, 08:09 AM
balto charlie

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 170 Post(s)
Liked 156 Times in 99 Posts
I am surprised leather tape does than well in the rain. I tour in rain (unfortunately)and hate to get my Brooks saddle wet. It gets wet sometimes but fenders and seat cover get me through.
Old 08-23-21, 10:33 AM
truthseeker14

Bikes: Soma Double Cross DC, Bridgestone T-700 (1985)

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 46 Post(s)
Liked 31 Times in 15 Posts
All leather is not created equal. I checked out Brooks leather bar wrap on Amazon, but it was hard to tell what it was made of. It was described as "natural leather", whatever that means. From a durability and quality point of view, full grain vegetable tanned leather would be my choice although I'm not sure how it holds up over years of riding and sweat.
Old 08-23-21, 11:28 AM
phughes

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 1034 Post(s)
Liked 1,289 Times in 743 Posts
Originally Posted by truthseeker14
All leather is not created equal. I checked out Brooks leather bar wrap on Amazon, but it was hard to tell what it was made of. It was described as "natural leather", whatever that means. From a durability and quality point of view, full grain vegetable tanned leather would be my choice although I'm not sure how it holds up over years of riding and sweat.
Well, to post again on this old thread, my LHT is now 10 years old, and the Brooks leather bar tape, also ten years old, is still holding up well. Two years of commuting daily in all weather, multiple tours, and local errand riding. The tape has been removed and reinstalled multiple times, just recently in fact, and is occasionally treated with proofide, when I think about it, maybe once a year.
Old 09-01-21, 07:03 AM
c_m_shooter

Bikes: Soma Pescadero, Surly Pugsley, Salsa Fargo, Schwinn Klunker, Gravity SS 27.5, Monocog 29er

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 186 Post(s)
Liked 234 Times in 166 Posts
I have used the stiched leather covers. They were tedious to sew on and make the stitch line follow the curve of the bars. Once on they had very little cushion and were slippery when wet. I left them on til they were wore out, but never again.