Notices
Classic and Vintage Bicycles: Whats it Worth? Appraisals. Use this subforum for all requests as to "How much is this vintage bike worth?"Do NOT try to sell it in here, use the Marketplaces.

Vintage Peugeot PX10 LS in Iran

Old 06-16-21, 12:00 PM
Albarak
Albarak

Bikes: •1986 PEUGEOT P10S •1982 PEUGEOT PB12 •1984 PEUGEOT PX10-LS •1961 LEGNANO Olimpyade

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Vintage Peugeot PX10 LS in Iran

Hey Guys, I am a big fan of old school Steel Road Bikes that they made in the 1970s & 80s; , especially the high-end "Peugeots" or from Italian brands some bikes like "Bottecchia" or "Legnano"... I'm living in IRAN & these days I've shifted my old hobby a bit to a little (online) business by restoring these vintage bikes or buying/selling those parts...

recently I found a 1985/86 Used Black "PEUGEOT PX10 LS" for sale (on an internal website) with a price tag equivalent '170.0 U.S$, Also that's the most Favorite road bike model of Peugeot for me! I have not seen the bike up close yet, but I think the overall condition of its "REYNOLDS 531-Professional" full frame (that's the most important part of it) is almost good, though the "SHIMANO 105" drive train & brake calipers parts on this PX10 do not look interesting and Original to me, but probably l have those French fabrics there in my garage!

......So guys what do you think about it? Does it worth to get and doing a major restoration project on it?!?

I should to mention that in the early 90s CFI (Cycling Federation of Iran) imported a few "PX10" numbers for trainings of the national road riders, this is one of those bikes that has survived till today

Thanks, be happy everybody
Attached Images
Likes For Albarak:
Old 06-18-21, 10:28 AM
habes78023 

Bikes: Constant rotation, Currently: 2009 Felt FC, 1999 Stumpjumper, Serotta KOM, Eisentraut Rainbowtraut, Trek 400 commuter

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 48 Post(s)
Liked 53 Times in 34 Posts
Pretty cool if the history of the bike checks out. If it were here in my area, I think 170 for a 531 professional bike is well worth it. I would agree the components don't seem to align as well, but 105 is still pretty good stuff, I'd have to do more research to know if that was original equipment, though like you I would say it's not.

As for a major restoration, I can't say for sure. I think there's few bikes to me that would be worth doing a full restoration on. Personally, I'm at a point in the hobby where I keep things as original as possible, or in an 'as found' state, because I don't think I've had a bike yet that I've thought that I need to keep forever.

I guess I am interpreting your question one of 2 ways:

1. Is it worth it for a major restoration to maximize my return in my online business. I would argue that it is not worth it, because the target audience, or the final owner of the bike, would potentially have their own opinions and thoughts on how the bike should be properly restored. And if you don't already know the answer to how a collector of that level would want the bike to be, you are probably better off buying it and then reselling it with better advertising so that they can make it what they want.

2. Is it worth it for a major restoration for personal use? I don't think this is your question, because you would already know the answer. If I were in a situation where I could buy a USA national team bike for 170, and it was my size, I'd do it quick. But I still probably wouldn't restore it unless I rode it for a little while and found the ride to be awesome and inspiring, then I'd probably consider doing the full restoration.

So I think the answer here is that for your business, you would do best to buy it and part it out.
Old 06-19-21, 08:35 PM
ramzilla

Bikes: Vintage Japanese Bicycles, Tange, Ishiwata, Kuwahara

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 700 Post(s)
Liked 321 Times in 251 Posts
A Peugeot PX-10 must bear Reynolds 531 "double butted" stickers on the main triangle frame & forks. It's a fully lugged steel bike that weighs about 22 pounds on most luggage scales. Most were originally equipped with tubeless tire rims. It's a full race bike. Something that would have been used in the Olympics or the Tour de France back in the day. A great bike. High end components. Fast and quiet. Super bad ass going up & down hills. Be good. Have fun.
Old 06-19-21, 08:57 PM
a.bandini

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I had one of these for years here in the states, lots of good memories of that bike. For $170 I would jump on it, too.
Only issue to be aware of is the French specific sizing, likely for seatpost and bottom bracket - if they ever need to be replaced can be hard to source.
Old 06-20-21, 03:18 PM
Chombi1 

Mentioned: 102 Post(s)
Quoted: 1629 Post(s)
Liked 814 Times in 527 Posts
Remember to check out what might be going on with the shift levers. That bike should have brazed on shift lever bosses. The clamped on shifters currently on the bike might have been added if the bosses had been taken off or broken off. Not a big problem, in terms of functionality, as you can keep the clamped on shift levers on the bike, but it does hurt the bike's originality......
Also, the bike seems to be a 1984 model with the jamb bolt that anchors the seatpost to the seat tube. The original Allen headed jamb bolt seems to have been replaced with something longer/bigger......
Frankly, I would not get this frame if you are on the heavy side, as that seatpost anchorage method is not as reliable as a regular seat lug pinch style clamp, which Peugeot reverted their race bikes back to on the next model year.

Last edited by Chombi1; 06-20-21 at 03:27 PM.
Old 06-25-21, 12:06 AM
Albarak
Albarak

Bikes: •1986 PEUGEOT P10S •1982 PEUGEOT PB12 •1984 PEUGEOT PX10-LS •1961 LEGNANO Olimpyade

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
At first, I would like to thank you Guys, that put your times and respond to my post. especially yours "habes", your professional & positive comment encouraged me, bro
As you guessed before, I've a mixture of your 'both ways' in my mind! but, because of the Bike's unprincipled Salesman, who didn't stay on his words at all & sold it to a chapman, unfortunately! l lost the thing!! Through these past 2/3 days I've realy been bored and disappointed man, oh! Specially after I found out that our pixie seller guy has changed it whole (also + its Original "Mavic-Crankset") just for 2x used "Campagnolo Centaur" brake levers and a crappy "Sora RD"!.... That's it!

even I know that the concept of "Eroica Bikes" still is not a big deal here, in my Country current market , but I've no doubt that any "PX10 LS" was worth more than that...
Anyway, {Ultimately, the Seeker is Finder!} (a common Persian Proverb) So I'll keeping my try to find a better "PX10 LS" finally !
just thank you again, Sir... I'll be very glad to see your comments & viewpoints more & hope to I'll be able to share more interesting things & experiences with you at the next time....
Old 06-25-21, 02:01 PM
habes78023 

Bikes: Constant rotation, Currently: 2009 Felt FC, 1999 Stumpjumper, Serotta KOM, Eisentraut Rainbowtraut, Trek 400 commuter

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 48 Post(s)
Liked 53 Times in 34 Posts
That's a let down for sure. If I know a bike is a really good deal and I want it, I try to close the deal as quickly as possible. Never know what a seller might be thinking or what someone else might try to do to get it instead.

There's several bikes through the years I've missed out on. I do think of them from time to time. But it's all good, I just hope that whoever ends up with it gets a lot of joy out of it. Makes it all the better when I do get a nice one.

There will be more, maybe not this particular one, but then again, if you are on top of the market and keep an eye out, you are likely to see it or one like it again. All part of the fun,

Enjoy!
Old 09-09-21, 02:06 PM
Albarak
Albarak

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Hi man,,, Actually the first words of your last message was spinning badly through my head!!! though I still believe that the Bike's seller was an irresponsible guy and also l had some doubts in my mind but in the end I blamed myself for let it escape, something I really wanted; so I followed the Bike's trace and despite my prev. mentality, the new owner of the bike was a cool decent guy who was a former national team road cyclist and a collector one; I was the luckiest when he accepted my request to selling me only these parts & pieces of Pixy:
''531professional' Frame + ''531'' Forks, plus an Aero type "PHILIPPE/FRANCO-ITALIA" Handlebar with a 'GB' aluminn Stem on it, The B.B. & a 'Selle Italia' Saddle with 'JPR' Seat post, all for approx. 81.00 bucks...

....About 6/7-mounts agoo, I found another similar "PX10 LS" but with a 60cm (23.1/2'') hardly Crashed & repaired frame, Obviously its frame was a Crap but I got that Bike just for some Original parts of it,,,, like a couple of "MAVIC Monthlery Pro" Rims + 5-Tubullar tyres (as the Seller bonus), also its "SIMPLEX" derailleurs or "WEINMANN 405" Brake Set or "Campagnolo" Chainrings
, Actually l didn't pay a Cent for that rewelded frame but I won its nice "REYNOLDS 531" Forks, too;...So yes Man, you know, I think the door and board will fit together & l've not any excuses for starting my best lifetime Restore Project!

As "Chombi1" mentioned here before, my new "REYNOLDS 531 PRO" frame has two issues, 1st is an odd Nut welded to the seat tube jamb bolt place (maybe for reinforces the seat post in its place) and the Second problem is shifter levers Bosses, both are cut off from the frame (probably one of the brazed bosses was damaged, so preferring to cut them off on both side!) but they do this bad job in nicely way, so guess I can get back the original state by using bosses of my old junk frame, and because I wanna repaint my new frame, I would be able to resolve the first thing as well (I've the Original Allen head jamb bolt, yeah, right,,,,again from my trash frame!!

The good part of the story is that my new frame size is 54cm (21.1/4'') which is perfect for me with a height of 174cm (5.7 ft) and my prefer to riding on smaller road frames; I checked the all side of the frame & forks precisely, Seems they're in pretty balanced position and if we exclude some of those damn paint scratches look in good condition;
I know that the repainting an old school road bike may not seem a logical/professional decision, but just like the key thing you said: It's all about fun & Enjoying Man! yeah, you're right...What I have in my mind is that to reviving completely a brand new "PX10 LS" through wheels to the washers according to its first original shape, as gorgeous as was, when that came out first in the market....

Thanks for your useful motivating words bro....

Last edited by Albarak; 09-12-21 at 06:39 PM.