Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

Bike helmet for one with neck arthritis

Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

Old 08-11-21, 12:09 PM
tgrapentine

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I'm 70 and a triathlete. Arthritis in my neck makes it difficult for me to watch the road ahead while riding my tri-bike, i..e., uncomfortable for me to turn my head high enough to see around the forehead-part of my helmet. The best helmet I've seen that has a slight indentation in this area, which then allows me to see where I'm going easier without turning my head up much is the Lazar Z1 MIPS. Does anyone know of a brand that might make sitghting on a tri-bike less stressful on the neck?
Old 08-11-21, 01:01 PM
MinnMan

Bikes: 2022 Salsa Beargrease Carbon Deore 11, 2020 Salsa Warbird GRX 600, 2020 Canyon Ultimate CF SLX disc 9.0 Di2, 2020 Catrike Eola, 2016 Masi cxgr, 2011, Felt F3 Ltd, 2010 Trek 2.1, 2009 KHS Flite 220

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 4361 Post(s)
Liked 3,000 Times in 1,853 Posts
Maybe also post this question in the triathlon forum....
Old 08-11-21, 08:34 PM
canklecat
Me duelen las nalgas

Bikes: Centurion Ironman, Trek 5900, Univega Via Carisma, Globe Carmel

Mentioned: 199 Post(s)
Quoted: 4559 Post(s)
Liked 2,802 Times in 1,800 Posts
Ditto, although my neck pain is from permanent damage to the C1-C2 from being hit by cars, twice. My neck has a very limited range of motion and comfort. Sitting bolt upright isn't comfortable on a bike, nor is an aggressive aero tuck on a TT/tri-bike. But I have a reasonable range of comfort with a typical drop bar road bike.

Check out the Catlike helmets. I recently bought a Catlike Mixino from a BF member. Alas, Catlike's size medium equals a small in other brands. So I'm giving that helmet to a friend who can wear a small. It won't even slip over the crown of my Frankenstein noggin. But I might order one in large because it's so lightweight and reportedly well ventilated.

Some ABUS helmets taper inward so the overhanging brow might not obscure your peripheral vision above the eyes. It's on my list of helmets to try. The ABUS AirBreaker, for example, fits low on the sides and back to protect the occipital region of the skull, but the brow doesn't protrude much so it shouldn't hinder our peripheral vision above the eyes.

My Bell Formula MIPS doesn't fit as low on the head as some helmets, and the medium fits well, so it doesn't block my peripheral view above the eyes when I'm in the drops or using aero bars. It's not the lightest helmet -- the MIPS harness does add bulk and weight -- but it's quite comfortable and very well made for a helmet costing less than $100. Mine cost only $70 in 2018, and I bought it at REI after trying everything in the store. It suited me better than the comparable Giro, which is owned by the same company that owns Bell, but the Bell and Giro helmets are not the same at all. Giro seems to better fit folks with rounder skulls. Bell seems better for my very ovalized square blockhead noggin.

I can definitely rule out the POC road helmets. While they're excellent helmets, possibly the best ventilated, they sit low on the head for greater protection, which means the overhanging brow will block the peripheral view above the eyes. And my POC Omne Air Spin is quite heavy, although that's partly my fault for ordering the large rather than medium -- both would fit, but the large accommodates a knit cap in winter, although it's considerably heavier than the medium. But the POC Omne Air Spin is fine for my upright hybrids, or more relaxed rides on my old school steel road bike when I don't use the drops often.

Regarding aero helmets, I have only one, a generic "Base Camp" brand that's a sorta knockoff of a discontinued Giro aero helmet. It's one of the rounded helmets without a tail, fins, etc., not a full-zoot time trial/tri-bike aero helmet. So it's suitable for all purpose riding, as long as the weather isn't too hot. It has a detachable vent cover that's a snug friction fit in the vents, and adds almost no weight -- the cover is just thin but tough plastic. While the helmet vents can't match the POC for comfort, it's not bad in summer when the temperature is no higher than 90 degrees, at least for my rides up to around an hour or 90 minutes. No problems blocking my view above my eyes. However that Base Camp model hasn't been available for awhile. But there are older model Giro and Louis Garneau helmets with similar designs -- rounded aero types. And there's a new but very pricey POC helmet with a similar rounded design -- way above my budget, though. The older discontinued Giro, Garneau and Bell rounded aero helmets can be found for under $100 now.

Another on my list of helmets to consider are the aero helmets by Oakley. I'll need to read some customer reviews.
Old 08-21-21, 06:13 PM
dendawg

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 73 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 10 Posts
HAve you considered using a mirror? I regularly ride with a look behind mirror on my glasses, but I don't race.
Likes For dendawg:
Old 08-21-21, 07:57 PM
Carbonfiberboy 
just another gosling

Bikes: CoMo Speedster 2003, Trek 5200, CAAD 9, Fred 2004

Mentioned: 115 Post(s)
Quoted: 3883 Post(s)
Liked 1,936 Times in 1,382 Posts
You could try this: https://www.bikeforums.net/road-cycl...discovery.html
That helps a lot of folks.

Next on the list would be a bike which allowed a more upright position.

Last on my list would be . . .a recumbent. Not my first choice, but if I had to, I would. Better than not riding.
Old 09-22-21, 01:01 PM
Calsun
Banned

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 608 Post(s)
Liked 382 Times in 288 Posts
Most bike helmets restrict my forward vision and in the past I have used a blade to trim the foam in the front and this has helped a great deal. My last two helmets, a Bell and a Lazar were good from the start. A REI store is a good place to try on multiple helmets and get an idea which impede your vision the least.

Another option is to increase the height of the handlebars with a new stem. An inch in height can make a lot of difference and you are not out doing time trials.