Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Clydesdales/Athenas (200+ lb / 91+ kg)
Reload this Page >

2xl cycling socks, what’s your favorite? Hot spot content

Notices
Clydesdales/Athenas (200+ lb / 91+ kg) Looking to lose that spare tire? Ideal weight 200+? Frustrated being a large cyclist in a sport geared for the ultra-light? Learn about the bikes and parts that can take the abuse of a heavier cyclist, how to keep your body going while losing the weight, and get support from others who've been successful.

Old 08-18-21, 08:52 AM
masi61

Bikes: Puch Marco Polo, Saint Tropez, Masi Gran Criterium

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1163 Post(s)
Liked 441 Times in 314 Posts

I wear size 46.5 cycling shoes (Sidi) which are approx 12.5 US. I like to wear cycling specific socks. When I buy, I buy the largest size available. Usually that largest size is listed as L/XL. When you look up the size chart, it appears these are for up to Euro size 46. This should be large enough for me right? But here’s the problem. Some really good socks like Swift Wick and Assos have a lot of elastic through the ball of the foot. 30 miles in (or earlier on the hottest days) I start to get some really bad hotspots in my mid-foot area. I have had Morton’s neuroma surgery 4 years ago on my left foot (space between 3rd & 4 metacarpal) and still have issues with this foot. It hates it when anything impedes on the metacarpal spaces being impinged at all.

So I ask those with big feet, wide feet, hot spot foot issues, foot pain issues, etc… Are there certain Clyde friendly socks that you have found out about? Thanks for any suggestions you might have.
Likes For masi61:
Old 08-18-21, 09:25 AM
pdlamb

Bikes: Fuji Touring, Novara Randonee

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 2588 Post(s)
Liked 1,919 Times in 1,203 Posts
The closest I have to cycling socks are a few pairs of Smartwool, and I've never been able to pin the blame for hot spot on the socks. Bog standard white athletic socks, size XL, work fine on my size 49 feet. Their looks may not earn me any points in the style peloton, but I don't care.
Likes For pdlamb:
Old 08-18-21, 02:39 PM
shelbyfv
Expired Member

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 3646 Post(s)
Liked 5,377 Times in 2,729 Posts
Maybe cut a relief slice in the top of a sock. An inch or two might be enough to help w/o being so large the sock would lose shape and bunch.
Old 08-21-21, 05:34 PM
skidder
Pennylane Splitter

Bikes: Yes

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 1776 Post(s)
Liked 1,433 Times in 983 Posts
If you can, maybe buy a larger-size shoe for more room to account for your foot issues? I just wear plain white socks I buy at Target or Wal-Mart, they work great.
Old 08-22-21, 07:09 PM
But its me 

Bikes: A few older US made Cannondales, a modern Soma Saga (no longer made, alas!), and one gifted crabon Specialized. Never enough.

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 45 Post(s)
Liked 60 Times in 39 Posts
I’m partial to Cloudline’s merino wool socks, the quarter top medium or light cushion versions for summer and medium cushion hiking socks for rest of year. Work fine for my wide 48+ feet, although I do not have any foot issues, other than sensitivity to top compression.
Old 09-01-21, 02:45 PM
mstateglfr 
Sunshine

Bikes: '18 class built steel roadbike, '19 Fairlight Secan, '88 Schwinn Premis , Black Mountain Cycles Monstercross V4, '89 Novara Trionfo

Mentioned: 123 Post(s)
Quoted: 10943 Post(s)
Liked 7,469 Times in 4,179 Posts
I have size 14 feet, but everything works on em like I hope.
Currently I like socks from Donkey Label, Ornot, and Handlebar Mustache.

All 3 brands have sizing large enough to comfortably fit and while they are compression socks, they are not tight around the leg or foot. No idea if anything from those brands would work given your hot spots.
Old 11-07-21, 06:11 PM
texbazII

Bikes: 2001 Litespeed Ultimate, 1997 Ibis Szazbo, 2021 Lynskey R300/Di2

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked 24 Times in 14 Posts
Originally Posted by masi61
I wear size 46.5 cycling shoes (Sidi) which are approx 12.5 US. I like to wear cycling specific socks. When I buy, I buy the largest size available. Usually that largest size is listed as L/XL. When you look up the size chart, it appears these are for up to Euro size 46. This should be large enough for me right? But here’s the problem. Some really good socks like Swift Wick and Assos have a lot of elastic through the ball of the foot. 30 miles in (or earlier on the hottest days) I start to get some really bad hotspots in my mid-foot area. I have had Morton’s neuroma surgery 4 years ago on my left foot (space between 3rd & 4 metacarpal) and still have issues with this foot. It hates it when anything impedes on the metacarpal spaces being impinged at all.

So I ask those with big feet, wide feet, hot spot foot issues, foot pain issues, etc… Are there certain Clyde friendly socks that you have found out about? Thanks for any suggestions you might have.
Ive had the same happen to me and Ive figured out, that all the socks being manufactured are all coming from, lets say china. they all claim to feature compression technology. I bought 5 pair of GIRO brand socks size XL since I wear a 46 or a 45.5 cycling shoe 46 normal width if using SIDI or 45.5 mega's I figured its not the shoes its socks are darn tight on the metatarsal. I found a few pair of my old Pearl Izumi socks (no compression) I threw some low profile inserts in my shoes that elevate the metatarsal head which allows more space and reduces any nerve or joint impingement. no more inflammation. I also had tried a pack of 4 supposed sport socks from our online mega store A, and they where even worse.
So, I'm looking for some plain ole socks also, no compression crap.
Likes For texbazII:
Old 11-07-21, 06:22 PM
epnnf

Bikes: 2016 Masi strada vita due, 2019 Kona Dew Plus

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 268 Post(s)
Liked 80 Times in 55 Posts
I wear TCK socks I found on amazon. They are baseline 3.0 athletic crew; they come in XL & are slightly too big for my size 12 or so shoe feet. (maybe too big, but np). I have feet issues too, but not like yours. I like the bright colors. Just something to consider.
Old 11-07-21, 08:43 PM
texbazII

Originally Posted by epnnf
I wear TCK socks I found on amazon. They are baseline 3.0 athletic crew; they come in XL & are slightly too big for my size 12 or so shoe feet. (maybe too big, but np). I have feet issues too, but not like yours. I like the bright colors. Just something to consider.
Just looked at the TCK they look great will definitely give them a try.
Thanks
Old 11-08-21, 04:13 PM
texbazII

Originally Posted by epnnf
Just ordered 1 pair of the TCK 3.0 athletic Crew socks. Instead of XL I went with the size large cause it says they fit men's 9-12 I'm right their, if they are too small, and the material and overall construction look good Ill just order the XL. TCK, North Carolina, Made In USA, love it. They are definitely colorful. if you go for ones that are not college colors they are tad cheaper
Likes For texbazII:
Old 11-17-21, 08:32 PM
texbazII

Received, my pair of TCK 3.0 athletic Crew socks white and black. They are a major GO. $9.95 for this pair (L) but they have many more colors for the TCK 3.0 athletic Crew socks and those go for around 14 bucks a pair. a few more colors are the 9.95 price but for pure comfort these are a win win.
Likes For texbazII:
Old 11-17-21, 09:09 PM
mprince
Dont fix whats not broken

Bikes: Steelman Stage Race, Dura-Ace 9s

Quoted: 95 Post(s)
Liked 166 Times in 93 Posts
I wear size 48 SIDI's and have always sworn by DeFeet socks in XL.
Old 12-17-21, 10:48 PM
cyclist2000

Bikes: Masi, Giant TCR, Eisentraut (retired), Jamis Aurora Elite, Zullo, Cannondale, 84 & 93 Stumpjumpers, Waterford, Tern D8, Bianchi, Gunner Roadie, Serotta, Serotta Duette, was gifted a Diamond Back

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 305 Post(s)
Liked 2,038 Times in 604 Posts
I wear 47 wide shoes for cycling and my favorite socks are Assos and Pearl Izumi. I got some Darn Tough cycling socks a couple of years ago and they are great but I looked on their site and they don't list cycling specific socks, maybe the running and sport socks will work. I only had one pair of PI socks that were tight around the ball of the foot, I didn't like those, but that was quite a few years ago.
Old 12-28-21, 04:07 AM
Mmassey338
Old guy on a bike

Bikes: Fuji “mountain” bike, Lynskey GR260 & Firefly Allroad

Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Liked 47 Times in 18 Posts
I wear 12 EEE and Defeet socks are plenty big, but your problem is the shoe. Sidi does not make a wider sole, they just add mor material to the upper. Lake makes wider soles for their shoes. I wear a 46 wide, but they make an extra wide