Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Hybrid Bicycles
Reload this Page >

Seat replacement

Search
Notices
Hybrid Bicycles Where else would you go to discuss these fun, versatile bikes?

Seat replacement

Search this Thread

Old 08-23-21, 04:09 PM
whydoibike93

Bikes: 19 pitch,05 7300fx, giant stance 2

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 9 Posts
Seat replacement

hi there i'm looking for a new seat for my hybrid bike whats a good brand.
Old 08-26-21, 01:05 PM
AU Tiger

Bikes: 2018 Fuji Jari 1.5, 2017 Kona Fire Mountain

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 103 Post(s)
Liked 55 Times in 36 Posts
Saddles are a very personal thing. What one person likes another may hate. It really depends on what's comfortable to you. Unfortunately, there's not always a practical way to try one out without buying it first. So to a large degree you're dependent on other people's reviews, even though you may end up with a very different experience than them.

I have over 7,000 miles on my Fizik Argo Temp R5, and it suits me perfectly. Not too long and a nice wide cutout - both of which help reduce rubbing sensitive parts.
Old 09-25-21, 08:28 AM
eatontkd

Bikes: 1984 Cannondale road w/ MANY upgrades, 2017 Trek Fx7.5 Hybrid, 1953 Rudge "work-in-progress", a 1956 Hercules "Royal Prince", and an unknown year, unknown frame lot's a fun single-speed!

Quoted: 74 Post(s)
Liked 141 Times in 58 Posts
Originally Posted by AU Tiger
Saddles are a very personal thing. What one person likes another may hate. It really depends on what's comfortable to you. Unfortunately, there's not always a practical way to try one out without buying it first. So to a large degree you're dependent on other people's reviews, even though you may end up with a very different experience than them.
As AU said, I've found saddles to be a very personal experience. Having grown up with horses, this question gets HUGE debate in that arena but it holds true to our velocipedes as well. It's a long, sometimes expensive process that may change as you age, or change riding style. As a younger guy I was into road riding/racing. Now, age 61, I just enjoy the ride. For me and my butt, I go with a Brooks. Yes, it's heavier for the race-shave-the-weight minded, but it's broken in to my pelvis and I can go for hours, even without padded bike shorts.
Old 11-05-21, 10:54 PM
Ryan_M

Bikes: Some

Quoted: 180 Post(s)
Liked 119 Times in 69 Posts
Lots of good advice.

Fizik is one of the top brands (and generally I like their products) but that doesn't mean a saddle from another manufacturer won't work better for you. Going with a known manufacturer you can typically be assured of build quality but nothing says they'll fit your rump. Just gotta try them, and try a lot.

What I got into was trying used saddles. Usually they've only been used a short time because if the owner likes it they'll keep it until it wears out, if it's on the market they probably used it a ride or two then it had to go. Buy one used, try it out, if it's not good then sell it for what you bought it for.

Last edited by Ryan_M; 11-05-21 at 11:01 PM.
Old 11-06-21, 07:51 PM
bmwpowere36m3

Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 8 Posts
Best find a LBS that either has loaner saddles and/or is willing to exchange if find the seat uncomfortable after a while. Specialized has a 30 day guarantee on theirs for fit... the issue will be finding a LBS with actual inventory.
Likes For bmwpowere36m3:
Old 11-11-21, 05:24 PM
whydoibike93

Bikes: 19 pitch,05 7300fx, giant stance 2

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 9 Posts
my lbs didn't have any good seats going to look online and see if i can find any that i like. thanks for the recommendations.
Likes For whydoibike93:
Old 12-10-21, 06:29 PM
markmdavis

Bikes: 1988 Bianchi, 2006 Fuji Absolute 3.0, 1973 Raleigh Sport, 1972 Bottecchia Professional

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked 30 Times in 12 Posts
If you like a racy, light-weight, leather-look saddle for much less $$ than a Brooks, you might try the reasonably priced Charge Spoon saddle. I haven't tried it yet but it may well be my next purchase. It is getting good reviews:
Old 12-16-21, 10:59 AM
ArneDarvin

Bikes: Specialized Sirrus X 2.0

Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
I didn't know about Specialized's 30 day guarantee on their saddles. Does that hold if you buy them directly from Specialized?
Old 09-21-22, 06:06 AM
rvman

Bikes: Jamis commuter 2 , engwe EP-2 Pro 750 watt

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked 39 Times in 21 Posts
For my utility,commuter,grocery getter, and just overall riding, I prefer Brooks saddles. I've been using them since 1973
so far I've had 2 B17's, and currently my favorite comfy sadde is the Brooks B67 .
Old 09-21-22, 06:13 AM
BTinNYC 

Bikes: Bicycles? Yup.

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 478 Post(s)
Liked 1,573 Times in 731 Posts
Originally Posted by markmdavis
If you like a racy, light-weight, leather-look saddle for much less $$ than a Brooks, you might try the reasonably priced Charge Spoon saddle. I haven't tried it yet but it may well be my next purchase. It is getting good reviews:
No idea if the OP will like the Spoon, but I'm very happy that a $40 saddle is my favorite so far.