Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Touring
Reload this Page >

Riding in the rain - NRS socks effectiveness (and other components)

Notices
Touring Have a dream to ride a bike across your state, across the country, or around the world? Self-contained or fully supported? Trade ideas, adventures, and more in our bicycle touring forum.

Old 09-04-21, 11:31 AM
gauvins

Bikes: Custom built LHT & Troll

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 832 Post(s)
Liked 141 Times in 100 Posts

I had promised to give feedback on the NRS hydroskin 0.5mm neoprene socks. "Unfortunately" I've had only a few days of significant rain this past summer, albeit enough to form an opinion on my rain shell (OR Helium top and bottom, hydroskin socks, raidlight overmitts):
  1. These neoprene socks kept my feet warm. As expected, not dry - they are part of a wet suit outfit, called wet for a reason - but very comfortable. Their thinness means a reasonable packed size (a large orange...) and they'll dry fairly rapidly. In short, I am happy with the result.
  2. Mixed feelings regarding OR Helium shell. Pants were new and certainly useful. I've had a couple of cold days (wearing all my clothes) and they helped. In significant rain, they provided warmth and limited the inflow of rain water to a reasonable amount. Less pleased with the jacket (several years old, but treated with nikwax just prior to my trip). I understand that this is mission impossible -- if it is waterproof, it feels like a sauna, otherwise... well... you get soaked as well. My go-to shell is the (amazing) Patagonia Houdini Air, which reduces the flow of incoming water almost just as well as the Helium, but breathes much better. Yet I was happy to have the Helium as well on a cold morning ride (same mentioned earlier, wearing everything)
  3. I also had Raidlight overmitts. Mixed feelings here to, less favorable overall. Problem is that water dripped from my arms into the mitts and I ended up with fingers bathing is a puddle of rain... They did protect from the wind, but I would think that hydroskin (neoprene) gloves "might" have been a better option. Great thing with the Raidlight is that they weigh nothing (2 x 10g) and pack extremely small (vs hydroskin). So... not entirely clear which would be best. One option would be to cut small holes to allow the mitts to drain (they are designed for runners, not cyclists) but I wouldn't like the fabric to start to fray, so I'll leave it at that for the moment.
Old 09-05-21, 05:59 AM
Tourist in MSN

Bikes: 1961 Ideor, 1966 Perfekt 3 Speed AB Hub, 1994 Bridgestone MB-6, 2006 Airnimal Joey, 2009 Thorn Sherpa, 2013 Thorn Nomad MkII, 2015 VO Pass Hunter, 2017 Lynskey Backroad, 2017 Raleigh Gran Prix, 1980s Bianchi Mixte on a trainer. Others are now gone.

Mentioned: 47 Post(s)
Quoted: 3426 Post(s)
Liked 1,441 Times in 1,122 Posts
Thanks for the update.
Old 09-13-21, 06:40 AM
djb

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quoted: 2732 Post(s)
Liked 953 Times in 784 Posts
Morning, I thought I had responded but obviously didn't.
About your jacket, ya it really seems that some jackets are great new, but invariably less over time....
About your overmitts, one thing about my biking specific rain jacket is that they really made the arms long, so in a riding position they don't move up too much. I find this helps with always staying over my gloves and or the times I've used wool gloves inside dishwashing gloves. Anyway, longer sleeves certainly help.

Interesting about your neoprene socks, I've always been curious about waterproof socks but never have bought any.....

and yes, thanks for the update.
I hope that overall, you enjoyed your trip.
Old 09-13-21, 01:47 PM
bktourer1

Bikes: Diamondback "parkway" Spec. "expedition

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 47 Post(s)
Liked 42 Times in 33 Posts
Randy Sun makes light weight and heavy weight. I use the heavy for winter as I don't have waterproof boots.
Gonna their light weight for fall riding soon as it keeps raining in New England