Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Anybody update the axis elite wheels of their Specialized Roubaix?

Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Old 09-11-21, 06:48 PM
geepondy

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 57 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 7 Posts

I recently bought a Specialzied Roubaix base model which those of us that own them know it comes with Axis Elite wheels. I can tell how heavy they are by spinning them and then comparing the spin of my friend's pricier bike. Am I right in my assumption these are not particularly light wheels? Anybody upgrade and if so, what? Preferably something that won't cost as much as the bike did in the first place. Are you throwing good money after bad when upgrading the wheels and still remaining with the Tiagra groupset (as opposed to say lighter 105)? Also do you need special wheels that take a 10 speed hub vs wheels that accept a 11 speed hub?

As you can tell I'm new at this. Won't do anything this fall buy might consider for spring if truly worthwhile. The bike shop had a Roubaix Sport which I would have spring for but the size was wrong.
Old 09-11-21, 07:11 PM
70sSanO

Bikes: 1986 Cannondale SR400 (Flat bar commuter), 1988 Cannondale Criterium XTR, 1992 Serotta T-Max, 1995 Trek 970

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 1943 Post(s)
Liked 2,164 Times in 1,323 Posts
Are these your wheels and do they weigh 1750 grams?

https://jtoddgill.com/2018/12/14/axi...eelset-weight/

John
Old 05-08-22, 06:44 PM
kansascity 
Honorary Bicycle Rider

Bikes: N+1's

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 42 Post(s)
Liked 67 Times in 38 Posts
I hate to restart this thread, but has anyone else verified the weight of these wheels?

This ebay seller has the weight at 1871g, much different than the 1746g Todd Gill. I was contemplating buying a used pair, but at 1871g I would think about other options.
Old 05-08-22, 07:07 PM
geepondy

Quoted: 57 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 7 Posts
Curious too, those ebay wheels are listed as 11 speed while my bike is 10 speed (Tiagra). Is it a different wheel depending on whether 10 or 11 speed rear cassette?
Old 05-08-22, 07:17 PM
nel e nel

Bikes: 2017 Specialized Hardrock Disc; 199? Royce Union freestyle bike; 2021 Specialized Roubaix

Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked 32 Times in 11 Posts
I had to replace mine recently because apparently the seal on the freehub body is garbage and mine rusted tight in less than a year. Essentially turning my 10 speed into a fixed gear.

LBS couldn’t even get the freehub body off the wheel to determine what the actual problem was, and was concerned about damaging the wheel. Got a pair of Rovals they had in stock and it was a significant improvement in weight.