Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Puch Pathfinder - Your Opinion?

Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Old 09-17-21, 03:40 PM
WhatTheDelromi

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Hello! I'm considering replacing my current bike (late 70s CIÖCC San Cristobal) with this Puch Pathfinder. The CIOCC needs a lot of work to get it to where I'd want it if I kept it. So I thought it would make more economical sense to sell it and buy a more conventional vintage road bike.

The thing is that the
CIÖCC weighs only 18lbs. I'm 6'4" and 220, so I really like a light frame.

How do you think this Puch would compare to the CIÖCC?

Old 09-17-21, 03:47 PM
noobinsf 

Bikes: '82 Univega Competizione, '72 Motobecane Grand Record, '83 Mercian KOM Touring, '85 Univega Alpina Uno, '76 Eisentraut Limited

Mentioned: 57 Post(s)
Quoted: 1088 Post(s)
Liked 1,205 Times in 701 Posts
Is it possible to have both, and you ride the Puch while you get the Ciocc to where you want it and eventually sell the Puch? Short answer is that, if comparing apples to apples, the Ciocc is a better bike. That's not to say you won't enjoy the Puch, but I would hardly call it replacement for the Ciocc. You may appreciate the Ciocc more after riding the Puch.

If you like working on bikes, then the Puch would be relatively simple to refurbish, since it looks like everything is complete and in good condition.
Likes For noobinsf:
Old 09-17-21, 04:08 PM
52telecaster
ambulatory senior

Bikes: Austro Daimler modified by Gugie! Raleigh Professional and lots of other bikes.

Mentioned: 76 Post(s)
Quoted: 1954 Post(s)
Liked 3,657 Times in 1,677 Posts
If you really like your bike for it's weight and responsiveness, keep it. The puch won't do that.

Last edited by 52telecaster; 09-17-21 at 08:09 PM.
Old 09-17-21, 04:48 PM
thook
(rhymes with spook)

Bikes: '83 univega gran turismo x2, '85 schwinn super le tour,'89 miyata triple cross, '91 GT tequesta, '90 yokota grizzly peak, '94 GT backwoods, '95'ish scott tampico, '98 bonty privateer, '93 mongoose crossway 625, '98 parkpre ariel, 2k'ish giant fcr3

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 919 Post(s)
Liked 745 Times in 546 Posts
only 18lbs??? yowza!

i second the notion to ride the puch while you fix up the ciocc. i don't make a lot of money and this is how approach my bike hobby. i've got frames that have been around for several years waiting for time and resource. all priority. but, like your ciocc, they're really cool and i have others to ride in the mean time.
Likes For thook:
Old 09-18-21, 07:18 AM
Classtime 

Bikes: 82 Medici, 2011 Richard Sachs, 2011 Milwaukee Road

Mentioned: 55 Post(s)
Quoted: 1946 Post(s)
Liked 2,004 Times in 1,105 Posts
What kind of riding have you done? Definitely, do not drop 1k on the Ciocc. The Puch doesn't excite me.
This is nice: https://newyork.craigslist.org/que/b...381063134.html

And this is really cool:

https://newyork.craigslist.org/wch/b...379464160.html
Old 09-18-21, 07:33 AM
alcjphil

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1815 Post(s)
Liked 1,693 Times in 974 Posts
There is no question that the Ciocc is by far the better bike, the Puch will feel heavy and sluggish by comparison. One question I would be asking myself is which bike fits you better, the Puch is quite a bit taller than the Ciocc. Measure the frames so that you can determine which bike is the better fit