Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Touring
Reload this Page >

Tips and Tricks

Notices
Touring Have a dream to ride a bike across your state, across the country, or around the world? Self-contained or fully supported? Trade ideas, adventures, and more in our bicycle touring forum.

Tips and Tricks

Old 09-05-18, 11:47 AM
Scotty0424

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I'd go further and say don't eat where you sleep. Stop before you camp and do your dining. Then, if bears are a real concern, hang your food bag from a tree.
Old 09-10-18, 01:17 PM
revcp 

Bikes: 2017 Salsa Carbon Mukluk frame built with XT, 2018 Kona Rove NRB build with Sram Apex 1,2008 Salsa El Mariachi, 1986 Centurion Ironman

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 286 Post(s)
Liked 100 Times in 65 Posts
Originally Posted by acantor
On all tours, long or short, I carry a patch kit and a pump.

On a long tour, I bring a replacement inner tube. On a short tour, or if I am going out for just the day, I may or may not carry one.

But going forward, I will always bring an extra inner tube. I just experienced a rare failure: the nut on the presta valve snapped off while I was inflating the tire, which rendered the valve useless. The only solution: a new inner tube!

The moral: Unless you are OK with not being able to cycle on a cycle tour, always carry one or more replacement inner tubes.
Oddly, this is actually not that rare, especially when affixing a pump to a valve. In this case it would be well to have an extra valve core or two handy, as it's easier to put a new core in than it is to change out a tube.
Old 09-22-18, 11:25 AM
acantor
Macro Geek

Bikes: True North tourer (www.truenorthcycles.com), 2004; Miyata 1000, 1985

Quoted: 43 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 7 Posts
Touring lessons I am still learning!

1. It's easy to underestimate how much water you might need while touring. If you are planning on carrying one bottle, double that!

2. Carry enough food, and eat frequently. Your body will need fuel if you are exerting yourself.

3. Even if rain is not in the forecast, bring rain gear. (I ignored this advice for yesterday's five-hour outing. Thunderclouds unexpected rolled in, and we got soaked.

4. If you use sunblock, apply sparingly to your forehead so it doesn't drip into your eyes.

5. Carry clean tissues or paper towels or something similar to help clean up. (See, 4, above!)

6. If your energy starts to flag, take a break. Even five or ten minutes gives tired muscles some much-needed recovery time.
Old 11-06-18, 05:24 PM
robow

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 595 Post(s)
Liked 278 Times in 189 Posts
What do you get for your significant other who enjoys bicycle touring ? Probably only the greatest bicycle accessory ever !

Likes For robow:
Old 11-08-18, 09:59 AM
Andrew R Stewart 

Bikes: Stewart S&S coupled sport tourer, Stewart Sunday light, Stewart Commuting, Stewart Touring, Co Motion Tandem, Stewart 3-Spd, Stewart Track, Fuji Finest, Mongoose Tomac ATB, GT Bravado ATB, JCP Folder, Stewart 650B ATB

Quoted: 4171 Post(s)
Liked 3,789 Times in 2,269 Posts
Rollers? Gosh you pack heavy, where's the kitchen sink? Andy (written in the best humor)
Old 11-15-18, 08:43 AM
Dazo

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
When i tour, i like to bring a hiking backpack instead of panniers. i attach a plank to my cargo rack, then i tie the backpack on laying horizontally.
Benefits: the backpack can be used to hike with during the tour. less air resistance while biking. everything in one place, so if you camp away from the road it's easy to bring it all with you.
Old 12-28-18, 11:36 AM
zweitesmal2

Quoted: 30 Post(s)
Liked 19 Times in 13 Posts
Keep a big fat cotton ball in your tube patch kit for flats. Running it along the inside of your tire helps you find those tiny metal wires that might otherwise be missed. The cotton ball will snag on anything protruding, no matter how small. I've read journals that describe getting 2 and 3 flats in a row, most likely from a missed thorn/wire. It will also keep the glue, chalk and patches from rattling around in their little box. Repairing a flat should be an organized methodical procedure, all the way to ensuring your quick release is properly tightened and wheel aligned, trying the brakes and freespinning. Pumping the tire up to pressure is best done by counting strokes- my tiny pump requires 170 pumps to achieve the 90lbs I prefer. I pause in 100 meters to spin the wheel and double check myself.
Likes For zweitesmal2:
Old 01-14-19, 09:22 PM
MontgomeryMeigs

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 3 Posts
If you're touring in New York State, you can camp for free in most state forests managed by the Dept. of Conservation (DEC). Details about 'primitive camping' here: www. dec. ny. gov/outdoor/camping. html . While the page talks mostly about the Adirondacks and Catskills, primitive camping is allowed in most state forests managed by the DEC: www. dec. ny. gov/lands/34531. html . Click on a state forest near where you want to go, and the page will tell you if camping is permitted within the state forest. Note that camping is not permitted within most wildlife management areas.

Free camping is also allowed along New York State's canal system: www. canals. ny. gov/trails/camping. html . The page lists the sites available along the canals, but you may also be able to camp for free at any of the locks along the canal system. Call ahead to the lock - www. canals. ny. gov/wwwapps/boating/locks. aspx - and ask the lock personnel if you may camp overnight there.

Tip regarding canal camping - railroads often run through the valleys parallel to the canals and they often run all night long. If you think the sound of the trains and the horn blasts will keep you awake, bring along some foam ear plugs like construction workers use.

(Apologies for the "links" in text with the clumsy inserted spaces. It seems I may not post links until I have 10 posts...)

Last edited by MontgomeryMeigs; 01-14-19 at 09:33 PM.
Likes For MontgomeryMeigs:
Old 03-20-19, 03:26 AM
phile

Bikes: van moof dropdown, btwin triban 100

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 89 Post(s)
Liked 30 Times in 10 Posts
Originally Posted by ModeratedUser
Little more info please for those, cough cough, less informed?
i know im 2 years late but, its essentially a sweetened guava paste. (you can find it under guava paste in more places than under bocadillo. also they tend to drink agua de panela instead of water, basically a block of pure cane sugar that you dump in your water bottle and squeeze a lemon into.

also just finished reading this entire thread, hoping to so some touring this summer so this was pretty usefull

Last edited by phile; 03-20-19 at 03:32 AM.
Old 01-22-20, 07:35 PM
joejohnstun

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Do most of you guys camp? No one goes from AirBNB to AirBNB?
Old 01-22-20, 07:49 PM
cbike

Bikes: Surly LHT (weekend ride & touring), GT Outpost (commuting), Brompton M6R (Weekend tours that involve flying), Co-Motion Periscope Torpedo (family weekend ride & touring)

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by joejohnstun
If you bike toured like that I'd like to know.

I don't. From experience there's a overhead checking in and out of AirB&B that makes a one night stay unappealing. If you stay for a few days then it's a different story.
Old 04-17-20, 06:52 AM
KFC
Harsh Adventurer

Bikes: Co-Op adv1.1, Cannondale Synapse 105 Carbon

Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked 20 Times in 12 Posts
I mostly camp, often taking a hotel rom every fourth or fifth night. It give me a chance to recharge electronics, do some laundry, watch so TV nd take a rally long shower. The availability and quality of camping resources also determines how often I camp or 'credit card'. When I rode across the desert, I stayed in hotels whenever possible.
Old 04-20-20, 06:46 AM
Spangen7628

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
mo
Old 04-23-20, 06:25 AM
captain belly

Bikes: 1994 Giant Iguana and 2020 Trek Verve 3

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 28 Times in 8 Posts
DIY Single Packets of Chamois Cream

I'm just getting back into biking. I'd like to get to the point where i'm packing my camping gear. I'm almost 50 and my body hurts and I get sores when biking too far. My buddy turned me on to chamois cream. I started buying the packets in order to re-apply while on the road. Those run about $2 to $3 per .3 oz packet. That's about $6-$10 an oz!!!! So.... i make my own now. This is on Youtube. I'm not sure if I'm allowed to drop a link. Don't want to get in trouble, but here's a screen shot of the video. These packets are the bomb!

Hope this is a helpful trick that is worthy of this thread.
Likes For captain belly:
Old 04-26-20, 10:40 AM
bigalo

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by ~Stuart~
one trick i cant seem to find in the forums is, how to weight the bike

like are front paniers(sp?) needed? do you run like 20% weight front and 80% back? or 50%50% or 60%40% or 40%60%?

help would be awsome (wanna know if i need front paniers for my bike trip, or if i can just pile everything on the back and hope for the best)
Good question! Thanks!
Old 05-25-20, 12:54 PM
Thruhiker 

Bikes: Fuji touring, jeep hybrid Trek 1100

Quoted: 54 Post(s)
Liked 28 Times in 20 Posts
One more thing about oatmeal. I mix my before hand with powdered milk and protien powder. I like the vanilia especially. It may be an acquired taste though.
Old 07-18-20, 11:50 AM
SoonerLater
Tuck Fexas

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
On the KATY Trail in Missouri... from St. Charles until Jefferson City there are bed and breakfasts, small hotels and AirBnB rentals about every 10 miles or so. We like to park at Jeff City and take the Amtrak train (which will let your bikes ride with you) east to Washington, then bike further east to Augusta, spend the night, then start working out way over multiple days to Jeff City. Or there are bike taxi services which will come pick you up and take you anywhere you want, which is more flexible than Amtrak. Saint Charles is a wonderful town. Using a bike taxi lets us park anywhere and start anywhere. And we only stay in bed and breakfasts, small hotels and AirBnB rentals. We take two pairs of bike clothes and wash one in the sink each night. We eat in diners, restaurants and the many wineries that are in that first 100 or so miles of the trail. The only things we pack are a few clothes, some snacks and some sunscreen. Credit card touring is the best.
Old 01-08-21, 06:16 PM
homelessjoe

Bikes: miyata 83 1000,84 1000,83 610,88 ridge runner ,Schwinn 84 high sierra,88 Cimmeron,86 Passage,84 Stumplumper ,83 Mt Whitney,83 Trek 850,Merckx Century,PX10, RB1,XO 1 XO 4,bunch of stuff like that

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 57 Post(s)
Liked 51 Times in 42 Posts
carbide

I have a good one.....carbide lamps.......the kind miners use to wear on their hats ....and old brass bicycle lights ran on carbide.......carbide is a little rock when water drips on it it releases a gas that burns very bright......every time we were in wilderness areas the carbide lamps would be lighting our way WEEKS after all our batteries were dead.......the old bicycle lights had a glass lens so it could be used as a good headlight.....they have a long historical association with bikes.....the miners version has no lens but great for camp use.....a can of carbide will give you months of light......a cyclist shouldnt leave civilization with out one
Old 04-21-21, 04:27 PM
Ciufalon

Bikes: A few

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 7 Posts
Repurpose/reuse tubes

Something I have done for some years is to use old tubes when worn out, too many patches/holes to make my own extra long bungees. They are great and make easy work of securing just about anything to a rack. I collect the nylon clips off of worn out broken packs, computer bags, luggage, etc. that people have thrown out and use them to make the bungees adjustable and easy to use. I cut the tube both sides of the valve and then into long strips; or, you can use the tube not cut into strips if required. You just make them the way you want or need.
Old 04-22-21, 04:56 AM
gios

Bikes: 2021 Litespeed T5 105, 1990 Gios Compact Pro 105

Quoted: 167 Post(s)
Liked 325 Times in 182 Posts
Any tips on repairing a Shimano 105 brake rubber cover?

Old 04-28-21, 01:46 AM
gios

Bikes: 2021 Litespeed T5 105, 1990 Gios Compact Pro 105

Quoted: 167 Post(s)
Liked 325 Times in 182 Posts
Originally Posted by gios
Any tips on repairing a Shimano 105 brake rubber cover?
Going to use a tire patch.

edit: worked well.

Last edited by gios; 05-01-21 at 01:03 AM.
Likes For gios:
Old 08-08-21, 07:34 PM
tomg

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
join Warm Showers (warmshowers.org)
Likes For tomg:
Old 08-15-21, 01:58 PM
Miele Man

Bikes: iele Latina, Miele Suprema, Miele Uno LS, Miele Miele Beta, MMTB, Bianchi Model Unknown, Fiori Venezia, Fiori Napoli, VeloSport Adamas AX

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1324 Post(s)
Liked 927 Times in 640 Posts
Originally Posted by gios
Going to use a tire patch.

edit: worked well.

Exposed gear shift or brake cable housings are a fantastic place to clip a route sheet to. Put it into a big zip-lock type bag and then use a couple of binder clips to hold the bag on the cable housings.

Cheers
Old 09-21-21, 09:59 AM
KC8QVO

Bikes: Surly Disk Trucker, 2014 w/Brooks Flyer Special saddle, Tubus racks - Duo front/Logo Evo rear, 2019 Dahon Mariner D8, Both bikes share Ortlieb Packer Plus series panniers, Garmin Edge 1000

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 405 Post(s)
Liked 115 Times in 99 Posts
Originally Posted by acantor
1. It's easy to underestimate how much water you might need while touring. If you are planning on carrying one bottle, double that!
In the context of touring involving camping and not relying on resupply stops every day - it is attractive to plan resources to measured quantities. That goes for planned meals, etc. A really good idea is to have an extra 2 days of food at any given time. On top of that - an extra gallon (128oz, or 4x 32oz Nalgene bottles) of water than what you measure or anticipate you'll need is a good thing.

The reason being - if you end up stuck for a couple days you can get through. Or, if a planned resupply stop doesn't pan out (if you hit Amish country at 6:00pm on a sunday - you won't find anywhere open) you have supplies.

Another tidbit is having a way to filter water. This can be a substitute for the extra gallon, depending on where you are. If you are somewhere where you aren't ever too far away from a water source (running water like a stream is usually better than lake water, but proper filtering can make either "safe") you can have all the water you can use. Though, in a lot of places streams have a lot of pollution so city or well water is a better bet - so long as you have it or can get it. Hence having extra, regardless of the "weight".

If I run low on water I will filter water for camp duty - scrubbing dishes, washing hands, etc. If I am out I'll use it for cooking and drinking and store up to a gallon, unless I know for sure I'm resupplying the next time I move (IE - have routed to a place to resupply right off the bat).

Last edited by KC8QVO; 09-21-21 at 10:03 AM.
Old 09-26-21, 05:16 AM
matkyne

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I didn't see it anywhere on the thread, but I throw 1-2 desiccant packets inside my waterproof tool bag. They keep everything from rusting. I save them when they come with something I purchase (often labeled as "silica gel - do not eat") or you can buy them on Amazon. They even have ones with indicator beads that change color from blue to pink to let you know when they need to be replaced or recharged.
Likes For matkyne:

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.