Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Clydesdales/Athenas (200+ lb / 91+ kg)
Reload this Page >

Anyone know the weight limit of the giant Defy Advanced?

Notices
Clydesdales/Athenas (200+ lb / 91+ kg) Looking to lose that spare tire? Ideal weight 200+? Frustrated being a large cyclist in a sport geared for the ultra-light? Learn about the bikes and parts that can take the abuse of a heavier cyclist, how to keep your body going while losing the weight, and get support from others who've been successful.

Anyone know the weight limit of the giant Defy Advanced?

Old 05-19-15, 05:58 PM
dodgeboy8888

Bikes: 2014 Cannondle Synapse 5 105 carbon , 2015 Rocky Moutain Altitude 750

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
that's part of the reason I picked up a Cannondale as they have no weight limit. really love my synapse 5 carbon 105 and I am about 330lbs
Old 05-26-15, 07:08 AM
Haff
Runaway Breadtruck

Bikes: Trek Fuel EX 8, Giant Defy Advanced 2, TT Cruiser, GT Zaskar, Diggler scooter

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Did a test ride on Friday and immediately ordered it. I'm getting some new 36-spoke wheels as well. Should be ready mid-week.

That thing felt great. Super stiff in all the right directions, had enough compliance in the other directions. Its pretty cool what they can do with Carbon these days.
Old 06-13-15, 05:38 PM
JamesB722

Bikes: 2015 Giant Defy Advanced 2, 1999 Trek 800

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
Greetings all! I've stalked these pages long enough, so I figured it's time to introduce myself. I'm 6', 240 and just picked up this baby Thursday! Rode 16 miles Friday & 52 miles today. This thing is awesome!
Old 06-13-15, 05:57 PM
chriskmurray

Bikes: Borealis Echo, Ground Up Designs Ti Cross bike, Xtracycle, GT mod trials bike, pixie race machine

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by JamesB722
Greetings all! I've stalked these pages long enough, so I figured it's time to introduce myself. I'm 6', 240 and just picked up this baby Thursday! Rode 16 miles Friday & 52 miles today. This thing is awesome!
Welcome and congrats on the purchase! Giant makes a great bike for sure!
Old 06-15-15, 05:23 AM
Haff
Runaway Breadtruck

Bikes: Trek Fuel EX 8, Giant Defy Advanced 2, TT Cruiser, GT Zaskar, Diggler scooter

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
My only complaint, and it is almost certainly more about me than the bike, the bar tape is moving around in under 100 miles of use. But as a whole i love this bike!
Old 06-15-15, 08:55 AM
ColaJacket

Bikes: Fuji Sportif 1.3 C - 2014

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Haff
My only complaint, and it is almost certainly more about me than the bike, the bar tape is moving around in under 100 miles of use. But as a whole i love this bike!
How do your shoulders feel after a ride. If they're a little sore, you may be putting too much weight on your hands. Also make sure to keep your elbows bent.

If you're already doing these things, then somebody just did a bad job with your tape. You could probably unwrap it, and rewrap it a little tighter and fix the problem. I had to do that when I had a fall, and one of the brifters moved a little. I had to unwrap the tape to the brifter to move it back into place, and then rewrap it back.

GH
Old 06-15-15, 09:01 AM
Haff
Runaway Breadtruck

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I think it was wrapped from Factory. some of the tape moved enough to see underneath, and I swear it looks like the bar was wrapped with plastic wrap prior to the tape. Isnt that a bad idea? I'm going to bring it back to LBS for first (free) tuneup soon, I'll have them re-wrap it then. If I dont like what they do, I'll wrap it myself.

Shoulders are fine, arms have a slight bend to them. fingers get numb from time to time, so I am working on move my hand positions more often.
Old 06-25-22, 08:14 AM
Qxir_NotJustBik

Bikes: 2011 Giant Rapid 2, Giant TCR, 2010 Fuji Cross Pro and a few others.

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I've got many miles on a Giant Rapid 2 (2011) that I converted from a flat bar to drops. Today was my first ride on a Giant TCR 2 (2005). Only around 12 miles on the TCR but at least 2000 on the Rapid from weights of about 270 on down with no issues, if you don't count my body I've had good luck with the stock Giant S-R2 wheels and those from Alex XLC Pave on mostly 700x25 tires. No issues with them staying true, though I think one of the rears may be due later this year. Wheels that came with the TCR look a little spindly with lower spoke counts so saving those for when I'm closer to 200 pounds.

PS Loving the TCR!

Update: Recently popped a spoke on the Giant SR-2, after going about 1000+ miles. Dropping off a trail onto the road to avoid a crowd of walkers (didn't want to slow down). Later down the trail went to make a sharp turn and the rear did that familiar ping. Luckily I was able to ride at close to normal speed for several miles and get back home. Weight at ping was about 264 pounds. If you fear popping a spoke bring some black tape so you can tape the broken spoke to its buddy. That way you can limp home with less noise from the broken spoke hitting the frame or brakes every revolution. Time to get out for a ride because I know what I want for Christmas this year
Old 06-25-22, 01:22 PM
Leisesturm

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 2475 Post(s)
Liked 722 Times in 513 Posts
I am pretty damn certain that the frame is not the limiting component of any current model bike at the Defy altitude of quality! All this speculation about where the frames are made and etc. are beside the point. It is likely unknown, even to Giant, exactly where the limits (of the frame) lie. The contact points TO the frame, i.e. the wheels, seatpost, stem, handlebars and pedals, are the ONLY components that matter in a discussion of 'weight limit' and those can be sourced third party. IOW, if the Defy trips your trigger, buy it. Ride it till something fails!!!! You won't die. Replace the failed component. Repeat. Have fun.
Old 07-29-22, 11:29 AM
Haff
Runaway Breadtruck

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Since the thread got resurrected, thought I'd give an update on the bike. It never failed me at all. I put a lot of miles on it. I still have it, just dont ride it much these days, spending more time in the woods instead. But I do plan to get back on it soon.
Old 10-05-23, 06:00 PM
Mongo225

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Giant Weight Limit

Giant Literature states:
Please be aware that the load limit of all Giant Road WheelSystems is 129kg.

Old 11-12-23, 10:56 AM
VaMoots

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Which is 285 Lbs