Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

The future = chip and seal

Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

The future = chip and seal

Old 10-17-22, 06:02 PM
Madridjoe
Man, I love this bike!

Bikes: 2016 Trek Emonda SLR

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 29 Times in 14 Posts
Lots of it in PA,. I give the cars and trucks a week or so to pack it down, then I'm good to go.
Old 10-18-22, 05:01 AM
Colorado Kid

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 357 Post(s)
Liked 136 Times in 82 Posts
Back when I lived in PA, my wife and I turned onto a street that had fresh, chip and gravel put on it. We blew out the front tire of our tandem. Went down hard on the stuff. Slid for a few yards. We ended up a bloody mess.
Likes For Colorado Kid:
Old 10-22-22, 09:17 AM
RobinWarrington

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
Lots of it here in Australia. But it feels soooo nice once you leave it.
Likes For RobinWarrington:
Old 10-22-22, 06:06 PM
rm -rf
don't try this at home.

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 964 Post(s)
Liked 496 Times in 343 Posts
In SW Indiana, there's miles of glass smooth new pavement on some great cycling roads -- very low traffic. I'm not sure where these rural low population counties got the funding.

They also chipsealed a couple of main roads, but it's that pea sized rounded gravel, with a top coat of tar. Not too annoying even when new, and smoother after a year of car and truck traffic.

Farther north in Indiana, they liked the rough larger gravel, very buzzy to ride on. I avoid those areas now. I'm sure it lasts more years, if that's important to them.
Old 10-22-22, 08:34 PM
CliffordK

Mentioned: 217 Post(s)
Quoted: 18320 Post(s)
Liked 4,488 Times in 3,337 Posts
They've been doing it for a long time, and it has evolved over time. The road we lived on when I was a kid was chip sealed about 45 years ago. It seemed mighty rough at the time, with large stones.

Lately, I think they've been using about 1/4" stones, similar to what is used for asphalt. It is rougher than pavement, but bearable. Road Cracks are what are most dangerous to me. So I'm always happy when the cracks get filled or covered over.

A few roads near me that were recently chipsealed have now been repaved. It actually surprised me a bit.
Old 10-22-22, 08:49 PM
znomit
Zoom zoom zoom zoom bonk

Bikes: Giant Defy, Trek 1.7c, BMC GF02, Fuji Tahoe, Scott Sub 35, Kona Rove, Trek Verve+2

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 549 Post(s)
Liked 721 Times in 365 Posts
We get a lot hereabouts (NZ is in the future btw).
It's noisy and slow but glass does tend to disappear into the spaces between the stones. I get most flats on smooth asphalt.
Old 10-22-22, 08:51 PM
Russ Roth

Bikes: 2010 Carrera Volans, 2015 C-Dale Trail 2sl, 2017 Raleigh Rush Hour, 2017 Blue Proseccio, 1992 Giant Perigee, 80s Gitane Rallye Tandem

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 1073 Post(s)
Liked 999 Times in 710 Posts
I grew up with the stuff, first with 27 1/4 which rode fine before moving to a new bike with 700x23, and never had a problem, didn't even find it that much more uncomfortable to ride on. Give the cars 2 weeks to pack it down and watch any fast corners.
Old 10-22-22, 08:56 PM
Troul 

Bikes: RSO E-tire dropper fixie brifter

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 2,910 Times in 1,884 Posts
heaving solid surfaces that present a 2"+ blunt edge is a problem I've noticed cropping up in the recent five or so years. After a handful of "letters" to the county, what tends to happen is they rip it up, toss down a base layer that just sucks the wheels in. Then after a few months to a year, they slop in a lesser quality material.
Old 10-23-22, 05:21 PM
oldbobcat

Bikes: '80 Masi Gran Criterium, '12 Trek Madone, early '60s Frejus track

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 508 Post(s)
Liked 434 Times in 331 Posts
Originally Posted by 10 Wheels
Go too larger tires.
Yes. Adapt.
Old 10-25-22, 06:47 AM
easyupbug 

Bikes: too many sparkly Italians, some sweet Americans and a couple interesting Japanese

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 560 Post(s)
Liked 546 Times in 396 Posts
We will see more as asphalt prices have significantly increased and budgets have not, along with minor road rash becoming more serious (cheese grater surface). One benefit is more folks will see they really don't need those 700x23cc.
Likes For easyupbug:
Old 10-25-22, 08:41 AM
downtube42

Bikes: Trek Domane SL6 Gen 3, Soma Fog Cutter, Focus Mares AL, Detroit Bikes Sparrow FG, Volae Team, Nimbus MUni

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 878 Post(s)
Liked 2,019 Times in 1,055 Posts

Texas
This ride out of Mineral Wells Texas had the largest aggregate I've seen. Fist sized is probably a slight exaggeration. The state highways would sometimes have a shoulder of old pavement, smooth as silk, but the new stuff is unpleasant at best. In San Angelo where i lived for a time, the city refused to spend anything other than federal dollars on roads, so they were going to chip seal in town. Dirt is next, I suppose.
Old 10-28-22, 09:08 PM
rsbob 
Grupetto Bob

Bikes: Bikey McBike Face

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 2512 Post(s)
Liked 5,426 Times in 2,826 Posts
Was descending a curvey 12% grade with well established chip seal. At the time I wondered whether the tires were getting a better bite versus on smooth pavement?

Old 10-29-22, 08:41 PM
canklecat
Me duelen las nalgas

Bikes: Centurion Ironman, Trek 5900, Univega Via Carisma, Globe Carmel

Mentioned: 199 Post(s)
Quoted: 4559 Post(s)
Liked 2,798 Times in 1,798 Posts
Originally Posted by rsbob
Was descending a curvey 12% grade with well established chip seal. At the time I wondered whether the tires were getting a better bite versus on smooth pavement?
After the chipseal is broken in a bit and the fresh oily surface is washed off, yeah, it seems a bit grippier in wet weather. Chipseal and striated concrete seem less prone to water puddling that causes hydroplaning in motor vehicles, and also seems to help skinny bicycle tire traction a bit in the wet.

None of my road bikes -- from the 1980s Ironman to my 2010 era Diamondback Podium -- were intended for 700x28 tires. Some skinnier-than-spec 700x28 *might* fit, but I can see rub spots inside the chainstays of my 1993 Trek 5900 OCLV where someone attempted -- unsuccessfully -- to run wider tires.

I'll probably sell all of my old school road bikes and get one gravel or all purpose drop bar bike with clearance at least for 700x28, preferably wider. No point punishing myself on 700x23 tires anymore. Roads aren't gonna get any better.

For now my method for coping with skinny tires is decently supple but tough tires and latex tubes. I've had good luck with Continental GP Classics (700x25 only), and Soma Supple Vitesse SL. Those lightweight Somas are remarkably tough and long lasting, and reasonably comfy in 700x23 with latex tubes.

Only downside is the Vittoria and Silca-branded Vittoria latex tubes I've been using the past couple of years are good for about a year and a few thousand miles before they develop minor leaks around the base of the valve. I need to improve my installation procedure and use stiffer tubeless-type tape to protect the base of the valve area where latex tubes have overlapping glued seams.
Old 10-29-22, 08:48 PM
canklecat
Me duelen las nalgas

Bikes: Centurion Ironman, Trek 5900, Univega Via Carisma, Globe Carmel

Mentioned: 199 Post(s)
Quoted: 4559 Post(s)
Liked 2,798 Times in 1,798 Posts
Originally Posted by downtube42
Texas
This ride out of Mineral Wells Texas had the largest aggregate I've seen. Fist sized is probably a slight exaggeration. The state highways would sometimes have a shoulder of old pavement, smooth as silk, but the new stuff is unpleasant at best. In San Angelo where i lived for a time, the city refused to spend anything other than federal dollars on roads, so they were going to chip seal in town. Dirt is next, I suppose.
Yeah, a couple of years ago they started laying the coarsest chipseal I've seen west of Fort Worth, from around Aledo out toward Weatherford and Mineral Wells. When it was first repaved it was brutal.

A couple of summers ago I decided to try a century in August on what turned out to be the hottest day of the year. Instead of taking my bike with 700x25 tires with latex tubes, I took one with 700x23 and butyl tubes. It was brutal. Some of that stuff was so big and chunky it was almost like riding in railroad bed ballast. Slowed me down so much I'd made it only 50 miles by midday and decided to cut my losses and head back home.

Traffic has pounded some of that stuff fairly flattish, but it's still not pleasant.
Old 12-09-22, 02:19 PM
Keefusb
Keefusb

Bikes: 60cm 1992 Paramount, 60cm 1995 Cannondale R900 (son's bike), 1994 Cannondale H300 (mine), 1994 Cannondale H300 Killer V (wife's bike), 60 cm 1989 Eddy Merckx Corsa Extra SLX

Quoted: 83 Post(s)
Liked 55 Times in 35 Posts
The road in front of my last house was packed dirt/clay when I first moved in. No trash service, and no mail service on the dirt road. Had to haul my own trash (no biggie, the transfer station was about 1/2 mile from my house), and had to put my mailbox at the end of the paved section of road, about 1/4 mile from my property line.

When they finally decided to pave the road, it was because of a federal grant to preserve historic roadways. They came through and graded the road bed, and took most of the washboards out, then they put down a thick layer of crushed concrete (I reckon crushed concrete is cheaper than actual gravel).

Next they put down two successive layers of hot tar and chipped gravel. I suppose it's better than just dirt or gravel, but I'm glad the new "pavement" only lasts for about 1/4 mile right in front of my house before giving way to nice smooth asphalt. The pieces are sharp, it rides slow, and God help you if you ever fall off your bike at a decent speed on this stuff, it will tear you up!
Old 12-10-22, 11:14 AM
DaveSSS 

Bikes: Cinelli superstar disc, two Yoeleo R12

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 1090 Post(s)
Liked 554 Times in 443 Posts
Chip sealing is a normal part of asphalt road maintenance. After 10-15 years on new asphalt, crack sealing and chip sealing extend the life of the pavement. I live in a rural subdivision with over a mile of privately built and maintained road. We chip sealed last year with a little finer aggregate than typically used on adjacent county roads. Nearly all the roads I ride are chip sealed. If you're lucky, you might get by chip sealing twice before having to perform major grinding down and topping with new asphalt or complete replacement. Chip sealing cost $67,000.

I'm using 28-30mm tires with 23-25mm IW hookless rims and 52/56 psi. The ride is pretty good.