Search
Notices
Clydesdales/Athenas (200+ lb / 91+ kg) Looking to lose that spare tire? Ideal weight 200+? Frustrated being a large cyclist in a sport geared for the ultra-light? Learn about the bikes and parts that can take the abuse of a heavier cyclist, how to keep your body going while losing the weight, and get support from others who've been successful.

Rear Wheel Help

Search this Thread

Old 10-03-22, 06:36 PM
dkyser

Bikes: 19 Gunnar Hyper-X Ultegra Disk, 17 Specialized Sequoia Elite

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 61 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 6 Posts
Rear Wheel Help

I am looking for a 700C 36h Rear disk wheel, I usually use Velocity Deep V but am open to anything that's in stock.
Does anyone know of a place that may have one,
Old 10-04-22, 11:17 AM
Black wallnut 

Bikes: Schwinn Broadway, Specialized Secteur Sport(crashed) Spec. Roubaix Sport, Spec. Crux

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 179 Post(s)
Liked 167 Times in 83 Posts
Prowheelbuilder.com will probably be able to lace one up for you to your specs. Shipping costs are pretty steep.
Old 10-12-22, 01:30 AM
PDKL45

Bikes: Merida Speeder

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 233 Post(s)
Liked 165 Times in 115 Posts
Check out the Bontrager Affinity TLR disc 700C: Bontrager Affinity TLR disc 28" Hintewheel Clincher 6 hole Shimano/SRAM- freewheel 9x135mm quick release buy online cheap at HIBIKE It's a 6 bolt QR hub and I have one for a parts bin build I'm planning. Comes with a Shimano Deore hub and looks decent for the price. Just be warned, if you buy from that website, they didn't calculate bulky shipping at checkout for me, so I got stung with an additional $20 Euros. Not a deal breaker for me, because it was still below my import taxation threshold, but mildly annoying.

If you need 148 mm boost, look for the DT Swiss HU 1900 Spline rear wheel (also comes in a QR version). HU is hybrid utility, basically it's intended for cargo bikes, so it's rated for 180 kg (390 lbs? Something like that). Bike24, Bikediscount.de etc have them. Those European online retailers also make up their own wheels at times, but look in eBike wheels or for trekking wheels if you're a fellow clyde in need of strength rather than weight savings.

Last edited by PDKL45; 10-12-22 at 01:34 AM.
Old 10-13-22, 02:00 PM
wvridgerider

Bikes: Gunnar Crosshairs, Surly Karate Monkey, Specialized Fuze, Bianchi Volpe, too many others and a lot of broken frame

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Liked 70 Times in 21 Posts
Of the last Velocity wheels I built, they run batches off. I ordered Cliffhangars for my new bike I am building. It took 6 weeks. Contact Velocity is your best bet.
My Velocity wheels I built, 36 spoke Atlas holding up great to my heft. 32 spoke Blunt 35 only a few rides on them but they laced right up. My Cliffhangars are for my new Gunnar coming in, too bad it will be here when I get my first knee replacement on November 7. I built a Dyad years ago when I didnt know what I was doing but my buddy is still riding it after I went throgh and tensioned the spokes correctly.
I like Velocity rims and they are made in the good ole US of A
Likes For wvridgerider:
Old 10-13-22, 08:03 PM
55tele

Bikes: 2022 Specialized Creo E-Bike XXL with Custom Wheels, 1992 Serotta Colorado II with Dura Ace STI, 2021 Zinn Ti Clydesdale Team XXL with Ultegra Di2

Quoted: 54 Post(s)
Liked 39 Times in 21 Posts
+1 on Velocity rims

I just took delivery of a Specialized Creo in August.....amazing that the XXL frame size came stock with 24 spoke wheels. I laughed when the dealer initially showed me the specs, but I knew that all else being fine for a 275# rider, building a wheel set wouldn't be a dealbreaker. So I wound up with:
  • DT Hybrid 350 front and rear hubs. Hybrid version because 1) you can get 36h 2) available in "Road Boost" spacing 148mm rear and 110mm front with an end plug conversion kit and 3) the free hub is heavy duty / steel and the 18 tooth ratchet.
  • Velocity Aileron rims / 36 hole
  • DT competition / double butted spokes
I'm running Continental GP 4 Seasons in 32mm..

This works if you can use 6 bolt disk mount......,I don't believe you can get these hubs in centerline disk mount. I had to "improvise" my magnet mount on the rear hub because the Creo is setup centerline mount stock.....(Magnet needed for the e-bike) but the Specialized Levo uses 6 bolt disk mount, so they make a magnet mount that fits through two of the bolts and it works fine....

Any good shop that regularly builds wheels should be able to put this together. ....if you have trouble, let me know..I'm in suburban Chicago and my guy is great. My wheels are holding up with no problems / haven't been touched so far with 600 miles on em.....they are every bit as good as my Zinn Clydesdale wheels that are rated for 450#......

Last edited by 55tele; 10-13-22 at 08:09 PM.
Old 10-14-22, 07:53 PM
csport

Bikes: Soma Double Cross Disc (2017), red Hardrock FS (circa 1996)

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 217 Post(s)
Liked 155 Times in 102 Posts
QR or thru axle?
Old 10-28-22, 09:55 PM
Chicken_fat

Bikes: Specialized Roubaix

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 28 Times in 11 Posts
Deep V for the win

285# 6-2.

I was having a back wheel issue on my Roubaix which led me to this forum. I was starting to have brake rub on the rear wheel under torque.

I was leaning on a Velocity Deep V to replace it. I took my old wheel to my shop this morning to make sure it was done, and got super lucky that he had a deep v with an ultegra hub hanging in the corner.

Rode 32 miles on it this afternoon and it was exactly what I needed. Noticeable improvement. Wish I had discovered these wheels sooner.
Old 04-05-23, 11:08 PM
tallbikeman

Bikes: Modified 26 inch frame Schwinn Varsity with 700c wheels and 10 speed cassette hub. Ryan Vanguard recumbent. 67cm 27"x1 1/4" Schwinn Sports Tourer from the 1980's. 1980's 68cm Nishiki Sebring with 700c aero wheels, 30 speeds, flat bar bicycle.

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 131 Post(s)
Liked 141 Times in 102 Posts
Velocity deep V rim, Chukkar rim, is really strong. 250+lbs and like some have already mentioned I like 36 hole wheels. 2mm stainless spokes are fine except for the drive side on the rear wheel. I have found that 2-2.3mm single butted spokes with the thick end at the head work really well with no breakage over time. All wheels loosen over time and need tightening maintenance when you are my weight. 36 hole wheels have the best spoke reliability record for me in my experience I have a bike equipped with Velocity Chukkar rims and they are excellent. Recently the wheel started squeaking a little. Tightened the spokes and no problem since. I look for reliable trouble free bicycle rides so that when I'm 20 miles from home I don't break spokes or rims and have to work out a way to get home.