Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Reinforcing the crotch on your trousers?

Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Reinforcing the crotch on your trousers?

Old 11-04-22, 07:30 AM
Road Fan

Bikes: 1980 Masi, 1984 Mondonico, 1984 Trek 610, 1980 Woodrup Giro, 2005 Mondonico Futura Leggera ELOS, 1967 PX10E, 1971 Peugeot UO-8

Mentioned: 49 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1854 Post(s)
Liked 660 Times in 503 Posts
Originally Posted by Nyah
Maybe it's the saddle. I'm seeing people reporting that the Brooks Cambium saddles are abrasive to trousers. It's on all of my bicycles - the Brooks C15 saddle. Now I have to find an alternative that is the same thing but with a smoother surface. A leather covering would probably work, but, I'm not seeing any, so far. The mail order bicycle retailer sells waterproof covers for leather saddles - not what I'm looking for at all. I guess they want people to buy expensive leather saddles, rather than leather covers for existing favorite saddles.

I don't know what a trouser is. What's a pant?
Mysteries of the universe...
Nyah

First, a common discount price for a Brooks C17 is about $95 to $115 (I don't know what this range depends on) at Bikes Direct right now. Discount prices for a black B17 are $98 at Back Country to $116 for a really nice brown one at Planet Bikes. Your concern about "expensive leather saddles" is not significant. You already have an expensive non-leather saddle which is giving you a clothing problem. That C17 can be sold on ebay for $49 to $90 used, just to look at current postings (the first two at the top of the search), or maybe more. B17s have a rather durable shiny finish which lets your pants slip, reducing abrasion. That should at least slow down your pants wearing out.

I think a leather saddle cover, which you can certainly make if you sew, would move around on the saddle. This might help but it might also bunch up under you causing other abrasion which could be real painful.

Another thing, abrasion of butt against saddle is not what's expected when your bike is adjusted to fit correctly. That rubbing is basically due to your hips rocking side to side just a little, and that can be caused by your saddle being too high and your feet are reaching down when cause major pain in the parts of your body that the pants cover up, when your saddle is too high. I might suggest lowering your saddle in small increments, maybe ⅛" at a time, and then back up ½ as much if your knees start to hurt. This is an old but common basic guideline for making sure your saddle is not excessively high. You should not be pointing your toes to pedal a full pedal stroke. Another sign of "too low" is if the pressure of one or both of your feet against the pedal is too high.

You don't know what pants or trousers are and I don't know what BDUs are, but we both wear cloth on our bodies to keep us from being arrested for public nudity (or perhaps just ugliness). I just call 'em pants, so now you know a new word. It sounds like to you sewing is not a foreign activity, so I think you should just start experimenting, preferably riding a new Brooks leather saddle which is at the correct height for you and not too high. I don't sew but Mrs. Road Fan does, and she has noticed a lot of younger people, women and men, showing interest in "sew it yourself" (SIY). Sew (lol) I would bet you can find a you-tube or blog about reinforcing the seat of cotton or whatever pants, or maybe some sort of emergency clothing repair. I'm sure that can get you started, if you can find it.

Just looked up BDU, and it means "battle dress uniform," so I assume they offer a lot of freedom of movement without feeling tight. I didn't serve in the military but I bought some from a surplus/outdoors store when I used to ride a motorcycle to work and to University - more comfortable than Levis! When you decide the size and shape of a patch, you'll have to make sure the pants still move without bunching or binding. I might also suggest using a button thread for extra strength (my mom wanted me to use it for fixing sew-up tires, a hundred years ago lol!).
Old 11-04-22, 07:32 AM
Road Fan

Bikes: 1980 Masi, 1984 Mondonico, 1984 Trek 610, 1980 Woodrup Giro, 2005 Mondonico Futura Leggera ELOS, 1967 PX10E, 1971 Peugeot UO-8

Mentioned: 49 Post(s)
Quoted: 1854 Post(s)
Liked 660 Times in 503 Posts
Originally Posted by PeteHski
The OP's shorts are clearly not.
If the BDUs offer good freedom of movment, that's more than a lot of non-cycling pants give you. If they are not durable ... maybe he could patch them? But also, maybe the saddle is too rough.
Old 11-04-22, 07:34 AM
GhostRider62

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 2332 Post(s)
Liked 2,097 Times in 1,314 Posts
Just don't click on any of the new threads and your trousers should be fine.
Likes For GhostRider62:
Old 11-04-22, 07:43 AM
badger1

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 1577 Post(s)
Liked 1,182 Times in 602 Posts
Originally Posted by GhostRider62
Just don't click on any of the new threads and your trousers should be fine.
Heh! Just noticed that too. A bit of serendipity now: this thread (until I post this) is embedded (so to speak) among this morning's crop of 'those' threads!
Old 11-04-22, 08:19 AM
wolfchild
Banned

Bikes: I have 3 singlespeed/fixed gear bikes

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 4227 Post(s)
Liked 2,488 Times in 1,286 Posts
I presume this avoidance of the obvious solution is driven entirely by cost?
So you assume that anybody who chooses not to wear cycling specific clothing is because they are too poor and can't afford it ?...How do you come up with such nonsense ?
Old 11-04-22, 08:21 AM
prj71

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 2973 Post(s)
Liked 1,178 Times in 769 Posts
I'm still trying to figure out why one would be riding a bike and wearing trousers.
Old 11-04-22, 08:23 AM
wolfchild
Banned

Bikes: I have 3 singlespeed/fixed gear bikes

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 4227 Post(s)
Liked 2,488 Times in 1,286 Posts
Originally Posted by prj71
I'm still trying to figure out why one would be riding a bike and wearing trousers.
Plenty of cyclists who bike commute in large cities do.
Old 11-04-22, 08:29 AM
prj71

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 2973 Post(s)
Liked 1,178 Times in 769 Posts
Darn stylish trousers!!! They need reinforcement panels!!!
Old 11-04-22, 08:52 AM
GhostRider62

I do see cyclists wearing pants. One is an old farmer who gave up tobacco and drinking, he was been losing weight and recently saw him upgrade to what looks like Mtb shorts. The other is an old lady who lives in the woods, she is very nice.

What usually happens with proper cycling clothing, it gets thin and transparent. And, you "print"
Old 11-04-22, 08:54 AM
PeteHski

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 4384 Post(s)
Liked 4,824 Times in 2,981 Posts
Originally Posted by wolfchild
So you assume that anybody who chooses not to wear cycling specific clothing is because they are too poor and can't afford it ?...How do you come up with such nonsense ?
Why else would you specifically choose non-cycling shorts? I'm not talking about skin tight bib shorts. I was suggesting more casual cycling shorts that can double up as everyday wear. You could turn your own argument around 180 degrees and say that why should I wear non-cycling shorts when I'm off the bike? I'm wearing the cycling shorts I linked to earlier right now while not cycling.
Likes For PeteHski:
Old 11-04-22, 09:02 AM
GhostRider62

Not wearing proper clothing could be lack of funds, cheapness, ignorance, or masochistic tendencies.
Old 11-04-22, 09:17 AM
CAT7RDR

Bikes: 1999 Schwinn Peloton Ultegra 10, Kestrel RT-1000 Ultegra, Trek Marlin 6 Deore 29'er

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 821 Post(s)
Liked 1,955 Times in 941 Posts
I wear MTB shorts nylon/Lycra for the durable material, stretch, comfort, dog walks, hikes, extra pockets, large cell phone zipper pocket and overall utility.
MTB pants could serve the same function.
YMMV of course but for my applications cycling specfic clothing can also serve multiple functions.
Likes For CAT7RDR:
Old 11-04-22, 09:25 AM
Hermes
Version 7.0

Bikes: Too Many

Mentioned: 297 Post(s)
Quoted: 1338 Post(s)
Liked 2,473 Times in 1,448 Posts
Because there is no need to wear cycling specific clothing. There is plenty of non-cycling clothing out there which is perfectly suitable for cycling.
Specific examples???

Plenty of cyclists who bike commute in large cities do.
So what. No value added for OP.

Once again no value added and borders on trolling.

OP just needs to do some experimenting. There are plenty of non-cycling pants out there which are made from fabrics that are durable, comfortable and suitable for cycling.
Four posts and no value added and no solutions offered. I suggest reading the BF rules that pertain to thread disruption and trolling to which you agreed.

If you cannot add value or solutions for OP, please leave the thread.
Likes For Hermes:
Old 11-04-22, 09:47 AM
GhostRider62

I would suggest going to REI and have a look at their offerings. I have a pair of their regular looking shorts that are "ok" for cycling. I balked at their pants offering but they seemed like they might work on a bike. It is pretty usual to see a cyclist wearing trousers or pants. I used to do that sometimes when touring but I had cycling shorts underneath. Eventually, I found it work bringing tights or legwarmers. The pants that I have seen have a tactical look with logos all over them. But REI seemed to have the best offerings.
Old 11-05-22, 11:55 AM
Nyah
QR-disc must die!!!

Bikes: '99 Trek 520, '20 Kona Sutra (FOR SALE 48cm), '21 Simon-Bikes mini-velo and a chromoly-framed folding bicycle with drop-bars and V-brakes, that rolls even while folded.

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 397 Post(s)
Liked 199 Times in 147 Posts
If I could find some way to keep leather tape from peeling up, the application of it to my C15 saddles would be a great solution and better than a leather saddle.

The Brooks B17 is not suitable for my cycling posture, plus, I already own one (and it's heavy as hell). The proper Brooks leather saddle for me would be the Swift. That saddle costs $170 for the version with heavy steel structure and something like $350 for the titanium one (if it's even available at all).

If I could find a solution that improved my existing saddles, that would be great. The saddles (C15 w/cutout) are comfortable. The problem is that the abrasive surface put on them by the factory is starting to wear holes in my attire. I think I might start a new thread which focuses on that specifically, rather than continue with this one.
Old 11-05-22, 06:34 PM
Pinelander
Roadie

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked 57 Times in 29 Posts
Wear these under your big boy pants to protect the little guys.
https://www.amazon.com/Baleaf-Padded...%2C1272&sr=8-5
Old 11-05-22, 06:44 PM
PeteHski

Originally Posted by Nyah
If I could find some way to keep leather tape from peeling up, the application of it to my C15 saddles would be a great solution and better than a leather saddle.

The Brooks B17 is not suitable for my cycling posture, plus, I already own one (and it's heavy as hell). The proper Brooks leather saddle for me would be the Swift. That saddle costs $170 for the version with heavy steel structure and something like $350 for the titanium one (if it's even available at all).

If I could find a solution that improved my existing saddles, that would be great. The saddles (C15 w/cutout) are comfortable. The problem is that the abrasive surface put on them by the factory is starting to wear holes in my attire. I think I might start a new thread which focuses on that specifically, rather than continue with this one.
You are making this harder than it needs to be. Just bite the bullet on some actual cycling shorts/pants/trousers in whatever style you prefer and you won't need to bodge bits of extra material on either the saddle or the attire.
Old 11-05-22, 06:52 PM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Bikes: Foundry Chilkoot Ti W/Ultegra Di2, Salsa Timberjack Ti, Cinelli Mash Work RandoCross Fun Time Machine, 1x9 XT Parts Hybrid, Co-Motion Cascadia, Specialized Langster, Phil Wood Apple VeloXS Frame (w/DA 7400), R+M Supercharger2 Rohloff, Habanero Ti 26

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 4330 Post(s)
Liked 3,954 Times in 2,643 Posts
Originally Posted by rsbob
You are not the OP. I was addressing him.
That is correct but I was pointing out that one can have issues in cycling garments as well. I felt it was important to be said in this situation talking about cycling garments as an alternative.
Likes For veganbikes:
Old 11-05-22, 07:21 PM
PeteHski

Originally Posted by veganbikes
That is correct but I was pointing out that one can have issues in cycling garments as well. I felt it was important to be said in this situation talking about cycling garments as an alternative.
You are much less likely to have issues like this with something specifically designed for cycling.
Old 11-05-22, 07:43 PM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Bikes: Foundry Chilkoot Ti W/Ultegra Di2, Salsa Timberjack Ti, Cinelli Mash Work RandoCross Fun Time Machine, 1x9 XT Parts Hybrid, Co-Motion Cascadia, Specialized Langster, Phil Wood Apple VeloXS Frame (w/DA 7400), R+M Supercharger2 Rohloff, Habanero Ti 26

You are much less likely to have issues like this with something specifically designed for cycling.
True and I believe I did mention that in my first reply but the cycling specific shorts (not chamois or bibs) have had issues and if someone is potentially considering that as an alternative to other pants they may not be as satisfied. Not had issues with any of my bibs though those are always great but sometimes I want to have a normal-ish pair of shorts or pants on.
Old 11-05-22, 07:59 PM
PeteHski

True and I believe I did mention that in my first reply but the cycling specific shorts (not chamois or bibs) have had issues and if someone is potentially considering that as an alternative to other pants they may not be as satisfied. Not had issues with any of my bibs though those are always great but sometimes I want to have a normal-ish pair of shorts or pants on.
I'm pretty sure the 7-mesh mtb shorts I mentioned wouldn't have this issue and they are great for everyday use off the bike. Which specific cycling shorts did you have issues with?
Likes For PeteHski:
Old 11-05-22, 08:07 PM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

I'm pretty sure the 7-mesh mtb shorts I mentioned wouldn't have this issue and they are great for everyday use off the bike. Which specific cycling shorts did you have issues with?
7-Mesh is former Arcteryx folks, I would hope their stuff doesn't fail, I love my Arcteryx and if 7 Mesh made some stuff for slightly bigger riders that would be great.

Club Ride is one brand but the Race Face shop shorts (which are nearly identical to my Fox shop shorts aside from saying Race Face on the inner band and outer lower right logo) have all had issues (the Fox haven't aside from one pair but those failed off the bike) I have some Club Ride stuff that has been great as well. I had another garment fail but I cannot recall who made it anymore as I have long gotten rid of it or buried it in a closet.
Old 11-05-22, 08:28 PM
PeteHski

7-Mesh is former Arcteryx folks, I would hope their stuff doesn't fail, I love my Arcteryx and if 7 Mesh made some stuff for slightly bigger riders that would be great.

Club Ride is one brand but the Race Face shop shorts (which are nearly identical to my Fox shop shorts aside from saying Race Face on the inner band and outer lower right logo) have all had issues (the Fox haven't aside from one pair but those failed off the bike) I have some Club Ride stuff that has been great as well. I had another garment fail but I cannot recall who made it anymore as I have long gotten rid of it or buried it in a closet.
I've got a pair of Race Face mtb shorts that have worn well over several seasons, but they're not in the same league as 7-mesh for comfort. I have a pair of Fox shorts that are very comfortable, but had issues with the bonded pockets coming apart after a couple of seasons - which was disappointing. Had a Fox jacket that suffered the exact same issue, so no more Fox gear for me. 7-mesh are now my go-to brand for mtb wear (still wearing 7-mesh shorts again as I type, lol) and I now have a pair of their bib shorts which are equally impressive - although I still marginally prefer Assos for bibs.

But can't say I've ever worn the crotch out of any cycling shorts. The few pairs of regular non-cycling shorts I have are far heavier and don't seem cut right for cycling. To be honest I hardly ever wear non-cycling shorts these days. Obviously I don't wear bib shorts off the bike, but mtb shorts no problem and the likes of 7-mesh are pretty stylish and not as baggy as traditional mtb shorts. Off the bike it is not obvious they are bike shorts.
Likes For PeteHski:
Old 11-06-22, 10:19 AM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

I've got a pair of Race Face mtb shorts that have worn well over several seasons, but they're not in the same league as 7-mesh for comfort. I have a pair of Fox shorts that are very comfortable, but had issues with the bonded pockets coming apart after a couple of seasons - which was disappointing. Had a Fox jacket that suffered the exact same issue, so no more Fox gear for me. 7-mesh are now my go-to brand for mtb wear (still wearing 7-mesh shorts again as I type, lol) and I now have a pair of their bib shorts which are equally impressive - although I still marginally prefer Assos for bibs.

But can't say I've ever worn the crotch out of any cycling shorts. The few pairs of regular non-cycling shorts I have are far heavier and don't seem cut right for cycling. To be honest I hardly ever wear non-cycling shorts these days. Obviously I don't wear bib shorts off the bike, but mtb shorts no problem and the likes of 7-mesh are pretty stylish and not as baggy as traditional mtb shorts. Off the bike it is not obvious they are bike shorts.
Like I said former Arcteryx folks would have a tough time going wrong. They make the best stuff. I have jackets that are 11 years old and I could probably pass them off as nearly new and not from lack of wearing or exceptional treatment. I will have to give their stuff another look see, I remember last they just didn't quite have my size but maybe that has changed.

Just FYI in case there was curiosity Fox Shox not Fox Head.
Old 11-07-22, 01:59 PM
Nyah
QR-disc must die!!!

Bikes: '99 Trek 520, '20 Kona Sutra (FOR SALE 48cm), '21 Simon-Bikes mini-velo and a chromoly-framed folding bicycle with drop-bars and V-brakes, that rolls even while folded.

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 397 Post(s)
Liked 199 Times in 147 Posts
You are making this harder than it needs to be. Just bite the bullet on some actual cycling shorts/pants/trousers in whatever style you prefer and you won't need to bodge bits of extra material on either the saddle or the attire.
You are missing the point of that post and my new focus. The cause of the problem is not the garment, it is the saddle. The Cambium saddles have an abrasive surface that will tear up any material (other than maybe kevlar) that contacts it for long enough.

The saddle (C15) is perfect for me in every other regard, plus, I have examples of it on all of the bicycles that I use regularly. I've seen a bad track record (read the first comment by the blogger as well as other comments there) of the leather version of this saddle (the Brooks Swallow). Thus I am open to modifying the saddles that I have if there's a good way to do it.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.