Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

The quest for the perfect bike saddle...................again.

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

The quest for the perfect bike saddle...................again.

Search this Thread

Old 12-05-22, 05:42 PM
phughes

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1034 Post(s)
Liked 1,290 Times in 743 Posts
Originally Posted by Lombard
OK, an update:

I lowered my saddle by about 3mm and rode a 33 mile ride today. Here are my observations:

1) Sit bone pain didn't come back until about 10 miles in, then it was back as usual. The pain usually happens sooner than this. This could just be coincidental.

2) I felt less powerful and was definitely slower up hills. This of course could just be me getting used to a new position. It definitely felt awkward at first.

3) I had more of a tendency to slide forward on my saddle and had to repeatedly push back.

4) There appeared to be less pressure on my hands.

5) I had a slight pain in the patella toward the end of the ride.

6) Still no perineal numbness.
Less pressure on your hands seems to suggest that you are more stable on the seat, but the fact you say you are sliding forward tends to contradict that. Did you try the method of riding uphill at a moderate effort to see if it felt as if your were fluid throughout the pedaling circle, or if you felt as if your were on a stepper machine? I found that worked well for me. When I was finished, my pedal stroke improved immensely as did comfort.

Here is an article by a fitter answering a question as to why a person is sliding forward on their seat. https://www.triathlete.com/gear/bike...sues-and-more/

The pain in the sit bone may take a while to go away, as it is probably bruised. A slight pain in the patella is not too concerning, since you just made a change. If it is worse than a slight pain though I would be concerned. Generally any change can take a while to get used to, and a low seat height is tolerated better by most than a seat that is too high. Also, is the pain in the patella only on one side or both?

Are you pedaling toes pointed down by any chance?

Last edited by phughes; 12-05-22 at 06:22 PM.
Likes For phughes:
Old 12-05-22, 05:52 PM
phughes

This is what I thought. Which leads me to believe my previous saddle height was correct.
And only you can determine that, short of having someone watch you on a trainer, though sliding forward is usually caused by a seat that is too high or too far forward. That is unless the seat is tilted down.

Last edited by phughes; 12-05-22 at 05:57 PM.
Likes For phughes:
Old 12-05-22, 06:40 PM
phughes

This is what I thought. Which leads me to believe my previous saddle height was correct.
You might want to watch this.
Likes For phughes:
Old 12-05-22, 06:44 PM
Lombard
Sock Puppet

Bikes: 2014 Cannondale Synapse Carbon, 2017 Jamis Renegade Exploit and too many others to mention.

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 1031 Post(s)
Liked 863 Times in 573 Posts
Originally Posted by phughes
Less pressure on your hands seems to suggest that you are more stable on the seat, but the fact you say you are sliding forward tends to contradict that.
Exactly!

Did you try the method of riding uphill at a moderate effort to see if it felt as if your were fluid throughout the pedaling circle, or if you felt as if your were on a stepper machine?
It actually felt more awkward and I felt like my power was sapped.

Also, is the pain in the patella only on one side or both?
Just the right side.

Are you pedaling toes pointed down by any chance?
Nope.

And only you can determine that, short of having someone watch you on a trainer, though sliding forward is usually caused by a seat that is too high or too far forward. That is unless the seat is tilted down.
Saddle is actually tilted slightly nose up which is what is recommended for the Selle Anatomica.

Why should I wax my chain? It isn't hairy.
I love this!
​​​​​​​
Old 12-05-22, 06:53 PM
phughes

Exactly!

It actually felt more awkward and I felt like my power was sapped.

Just the right side.

Nope.

Saddle is actually tilted slightly nose up which is what is recommended for the Selle Anatomica.

I love this!
If the pain is still only on one side, it sounds like you are not sitting squarely on the saddle, you are shifted to one side.

In regards to the saddle, I use a Brooks B17 on my touring bike, the one I had the issues with. Many also say to tilt it up. Once I got my seat position "correct," I do not have it tilted up, it is basically level. I basically because with a level set across the seat, it is actually slightly nose down. Very slightly. I do not slide forward on it. I am stable in the seat. I think you are trying to naturally put yourself in the position you body wants to be. I wish I could see you and help you personally, but honestly most people have their seat too high. That will cause all the issues you are describing, including your current knee pain. But I cannot see you. Too low of a saddle can cause issues as well, but sliding forward usually isn't one.

Bike Fit James has some great videos. I linked one in another post. He describes what I have been saying very well.
Likes For phughes:
Old 12-05-22, 07:00 PM
Lombard
Sock Puppet

Bikes: 2014 Cannondale Synapse Carbon, 2017 Jamis Renegade Exploit and too many others to mention.

If the pain is still only on one side, it sounds like you are not sitting squarely on the saddle, you are shifted to one side.
I'm pretty sure this is the case and it may be because of my scoliosis. My chiro said that I unconsciously tilt my upper body as a result in order to keep my head straight.
Old 12-05-22, 07:16 PM
phughes

I'm pretty sure this is the case and it may be because of my scoliosis. My chiro said that I unconsciously tilt my upper body as a result in order to keep my head straight.
Ah, that changes a lot. Just as with everyone, there is no one formula for fit. That is why I am not a huge proponent of the angle/measurement/formula systems of fit. They all fail to take into account flexibility, and other individual differences. Dynamic fitting is a better way, a fitter actually watching you on the bike, and seeing how you interface with it while moving.

Take a look at Bike Fit James' video though, it is a good video, and he is an excellent fitter. Your scoliosis adds a wrinkle in the process. My ex had it as well. She did well despite it, and made an Olympic swim team though. I will not mention the country to keep her identity out if this though. You have challenges most of us do not have to deal with. Best of luck, and I hope you sort it all out.
Likes For phughes:
Old 12-05-22, 07:21 PM
Lombard
Sock Puppet

Ah, that changes a lot. Just as with everyone, there is no one formula for fit. That is why I am not a huge proponent of the angle/measurement/formula systems of fit. They all fail to take into account flexibility, and other individual differences. Dynamic fitting is a better way, a fitter actually watching you on the bike, and seeing how you interface with it while moving.

Take a look at Bike Fit James' video though, it is a good video, and he is an excellent fitter. Your scoliosis adds a wrinkle in the process. My ex had it as well. She did well despite it, and made an Olympic swim team though. I will not mention the country to keep her identity out if this though. You have challenges most of us do not have to deal with. Best of luck, and I hope you sort it all out.
Thank you so much, you have been very helpful! Funny that the scoliosis was never an issue before. I guess that's part of aging. Better than the alternative, LOL!

I think I will take up my shop's offer to watch me pedal on my bike. It can't hurt and I may learn something new!
Likes For Lombard:
Old 12-05-22, 07:25 PM
phughes

Thank you so much, you have been very helpful! Funny that the scoliosis was never an issue before. I guess that's part of aging. Better than the alternative, LOL!

I think I will take up my shop's offer to watch me pedal on my bike. It can't hurt and I may learn something new!
Definitely take them up on it. No idea how qualified they are, but it's a good start. Hey, I have aging issues and don't have scoliosis.
Likes For phughes:
Old 12-06-22, 06:55 AM
Thulsadoom

Bikes: Specialized Tarmac Expert, 2002 TREK 520, Schwinn Mesa WINTER BIKE, Huffy Rock Creek 29er, 1970s-era Ross ten speed. All my bikes are highly modified(except the Tarmac) yet functional, and generally look beat to ****. .

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 68 Post(s)
Liked 88 Times in 51 Posts

The good news is that you can address your scoliosis and make huge improvements at any age. Possibly even correct your cobb angle quite a bit.

The bad news is that it takes time and it's difficult. You have to re-wire your brain and become constantly sensitive to your posture. Your body will fight you because you have a lifetime of asymmetrical habits and conditioning to overcome. There are no quick fixes. More bad news is that you're not likely to find many people who understand this condition. Don't listen to anyone who tries to sell you a brace or shims or lifts or complicated stretching aids.

The most common problem with scoliosis is that you can live a long time without ever even knowing you have it, but when you reach a certain age and the bones naturally begin to degenerate, that's when it rears it's ugly head and can make older age difficult. And it's not liable to get better over time.

Read up on it. You can fix it.
Old 12-06-22, 07:04 AM
Lombard
Sock Puppet

Definitely take them up on it. No idea how qualified they are, but it's a good start. Hey, I have aging issues and don't have scoliosis.
Well to put things in perspective, I probably have fewer health issues than most people in my age group. I am in my early 60's and still med-free. Many people I know who are my age are taking meds for things like cholesterol and blood pressure. I should count my blessings. Of course a healthy diet and staying active no doubt are helping me.
Likes For Lombard:
Old 12-06-22, 07:10 AM
Lombard
Sock Puppet

Originally Posted by Thulsadoom
The good news is that you can address your scoliosis and make huge improvements at any age. Possibly even correct your cobb angle quite a bit.

The bad news is that it takes time and it's difficult. You have to re-wire your brain and become constantly sensitive to your posture. Your body will fight you because you have a lifetime of asymmetrical habits and conditioning to overcome. There are no quick fixes. More bad news is that you're not likely to find many people who understand this condition. Don't listen to anyone who tries to sell you a brace or shims or lifts or complicated stretching aids.

The most common problem with scoliosis is that you can live a long time without ever even knowing you have it, but when you reach a certain age and the bones naturally begin to degenerate, that's when it rears it's ugly head and can make older age difficult. And it's not liable to get better over time.

Read up on it. You can fix it.
Yup. Most likely I have had it all my life, but when young, it's a non-issue. As we get older, the fluid in our discs tends to dry out, the discs thin and this compounds any existing spinal issues.

And yes, back braces are bad as they weaken muscles.
Likes For Lombard:
Old 12-09-22, 09:04 AM
rydabent
Banned

Bikes: RANS Stratus TerraTrike Tour II

Mentioned: 46 Post(s)
Quoted: 3352 Post(s)
Liked 1,056 Times in 635 Posts
Fortunately I got old AND wise, and gave up DF bikes. The view from a comfortable bent seat just cant be beat.
Old 12-09-22, 09:08 AM
rydabent
Banned

No just stating fact. The comfort of a bent seat just cant be beat.

What number of post is this complaining about the pain of a DF saddle. And-----------------remember almost all bent riders rode DF bikes when we were younger and know of saddle pain, especially early in the season.
Old 12-09-22, 10:11 AM
tomato coupe

Bikes: Colnago, Van Dessel, Factor, Cervelo, Ritchey

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 3949 Post(s)
Liked 7,295 Times in 2,946 Posts
Originally Posted by rydabent
... bent ...
... bent ...
Nobody cares.
Likes For tomato coupe:
Old 12-09-22, 10:27 AM
Koyote

Mentioned: 38 Post(s)
Quoted: 6962 Post(s)
Liked 10,961 Times in 4,687 Posts
Fortunately I got old AND wise
One of those things is true.
Likes For Koyote:
Old 12-10-22, 10:01 AM
unterhausen
Randomhead

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 3,696 Times in 2,517 Posts
No just stating fact. The comfort of a bent seat just cant be beat.
I really don't have problems with saddle pain on my df, and that includes the times when I have ridden over 700 miles in 4 days. As someone who rides long distance, I have seen 'bent riders complaining about how uncomfortable their seats are. It's not exactly a panacea for butt pain or neck pain. I expect most people that ride a df are familiar with the existence of 'bents and have chosen not to partake. As such, your suggestions border on trolling. You should limit such posts to the 'bent forum, where people will tolerate them.
Likes For unterhausen:
Old 12-10-22, 05:18 PM
genejockey 
Klaatu..Verata..Necktie?

Bikes: Litespeed Ultimate, Ultegra; Canyon Endurace, 105; Battaglin MAX, Chorus; Bianchi 928 Veloce; Ritchey Road Logic, Dura Ace; Cannondale R500 RX100; Schwinn Circuit, Sante; Lotus Supreme, Dura Ace

Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Quoted: 10424 Post(s)
Liked 11,886 Times in 6,090 Posts
Fortunately I got old AND wise, and gave up DF bikes. The view from a comfortable bent seat just cant be beat.
DF bike riders butts?

"Everybody's gotta be somewhere." - Eccles
Likes For genejockey:
Old 12-11-22, 06:42 AM
The Chemist

Bikes: Waltly Custom Ti // Seaboard CX01 // Dahon Boardwalk

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 123 Post(s)
Liked 528 Times in 246 Posts
Originally Posted by Nyah
I just noticed that Brooks used to make the Cambium saddles with a cotton top layer. Now this is nylon and with a new distinction of "All Weather". Might yours be the cotton one?
I've put over 18000km on a C15 (no cutout, and pretty sure it's an All Weather version) since early spring 2021 and I haven't noticed any undue wear on my bibs, all of my current pairs of which have at least a couple of thousand kilometres on the saddle.
Old 12-11-22, 09:45 AM
rydabent
Banned

Originally Posted by tomato coupe
Nobody cares.
An those of us that ride a bent in comfort dont care about the pain in the ass that DF bikes give almost all their riders. The solution to all the pain a DF bike causes is out there, take advantage of it. OTOH due to the type of riding or insane rule for racing, not everyone can. And who remembers their first 25 mile ride in the spring after being of the bike for about 4 months. You walk funny for a week.

All the posts about saddle pain just keep on coming. And I will continue to post the best solution.

Last edited by rydabent; 12-22-22 at 09:25 AM.
Old 12-11-22, 09:56 AM
tomato coupe

Bikes: Colnago, Van Dessel, Factor, Cervelo, Ritchey

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 3949 Post(s)
Liked 7,295 Times in 2,946 Posts
An those of us that ride a bent in comfort dont care about the pain in the ass that DF bikes give almost all their riders.
Based on how often you preach about bents, this is clearly false.
Likes For tomato coupe:
Old 12-11-22, 10:11 AM
Lombard
Sock Puppet

Ahhhh, a new debate: DF vs. Bent Bikes!
Old 12-11-22, 10:18 AM
t2p

Bikes: Cannondale - Gary Fisher - Giant - Litespeed - Schwinn Paramount - Schwinn (lugged steel) - Trek OCLV

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 1397 Post(s)
Liked 1,876 Times in 1,079 Posts
Ahhhh, a new debate: DF vs. Bent Bikes!
Likes For t2p:
Old 12-16-22, 09:04 AM
rydabent
Banned

Originally Posted by unterhausen
I really don't have problems with saddle pain on my df, and that includes the times when I have ridden over 700 miles in 4 days. As someone who rides long distance, I have seen 'bent riders complaining about how uncomfortable their seats are. It's not exactly a panacea for butt pain or neck pain. I expect most people that ride a df are familiar with the existence of 'bents and have chosen not to partake. As such, your suggestions border on trolling. You should limit such posts to the 'bent forum, where people will tolerate them.
I do post on the recumbent forum. How ever even these days there is a good percentage of cyclist that know nothing about bents or trikes. I see nothing wrong about encouraging them to at least try a bent or a trike. For some they may just be the answer to their saddle pain problems. Urging them to try a bent or trike is no different that telling a DF rider to try saddle X because of a sore butt.

Last edited by rydabent; 12-22-22 at 09:26 AM.
Old 12-16-22, 09:17 AM
elcruxio

Bikes: 2011 Specialized crux comp, 2013 Specialized Rockhopper Pro

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 862 Post(s)
Liked 336 Times in 223 Posts
An those of us that ride a bent in comfort dont care about the pain in the ass that DF bikes give almost all their riders. The solution to all the pain a DF bike causes is out there, take advantage of it. OTOH due to the type of riding or insane rule for racing, not everyone can.

All the posts about saddle pain just keep on coming. And I will continue to post the best solution.
And yet you're missing out on over half of the whole cycling experience. You can't mountain bike. You can't fatbike. You can't cyclocross. You can't climb properly. You can't corner properly (on trikes at least). You can't sprint.

Though maybe a vehicle I can take a nap in could be fun. But I'm not that old yet.

If I ever start feeling the thing missing from my life is more sitting I may consider a bent.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.