Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

One of those "what a jerk" mornings :(

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Search this Thread

Old 10-09-22, 05:45 PM
stephr1

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 107 Post(s)
Liked 43 Times in 37 Posts

Hope everyone is doing well. Haven't been here in a while but this morning motivated me to check in, kind of.

I was in my car heading over to the grocery store this morning. I was on one of those streets that wasn't a main street but wasn't really residential. It does get a bit of traffic at times during the day but this morning was fairly quiet.

It was about 7:30AM and, while the sun was up, it was still a little dusky because of the overcast (SF Bay Area in the fall). Some cars had their headlights on, others did not. Some of the street lights were on, others not. I did not have my lights on because it was light enough to see things just fine. I'm driving along said street which is single lane on each side with matching bike lanes. I look ahead and see a guy on a road bike going my direction and he seems to be more in the road than the bike lane. As I closed in on him I beeped (not lay on the horn for 10 secs.) to let him know I was coming so he would make sure to stay in the bike lane (there were no left turns coming up so he had no reason to be in the car lane).

He moved back into the bike lane (he had started to drift back into the main road, so I slowed down and tried not to crowd him). As I went by him, rather than give me a "thanks" wave for letting him know, he yelled at me: "Lights!". I looked at the guy and he was a bit older (because he had a fairly gray beard). I thought "What an a** hole." and drove on. As an after thought, I should have yelled back at him "Stay in the bike lane!" but it was too late.

So, that was my Sunday "encounter-a-jerk" morning and I went on to the store.

It bothered me at the time but the rest of my day has been fine. Sighhhhh......
Likes For stephr1:
Old 10-09-22, 05:59 PM
Koyote

Mentioned: 38 Post(s)
Quoted: 6943 Post(s)
Liked 10,944 Times in 4,677 Posts
You came on a cycling forum to bash a cyclist.

This should be fun.
Old 10-09-22, 06:10 PM
3alarmer 
Friendship is Magic

Bikes: old ones

Mentioned: 304 Post(s)
Quoted: 26389 Post(s)
Liked 10,365 Times in 7,197 Posts
...on my bike, yesterday, I encountered not one, but two separate instances of cyclists coming head on at me, on my side of the trail. The first one played chicken right up until the very last moment, because he was struggling to pass someone in his lane, and needed all of my lane to pass that person. I yelled , "Jesus ******g Christ !!!", as I braked. The second, much more egregious instance, was farther down the trail, where three guys on bicycles needed my lane as well as theirs, so they could ride three abreast. At this person (the one in my lane), I yelled, "Move the **** Over !!!".

Neither of these people cared the slightest what I thought. The second one yelled something back at me, but I did not hear what it was.

I did not come here and start up a thread about it, because I knew no one here would care either. This forum is predominately inhabited by heartless and unfeeling trolls, unfit to respond to sensitive souls like us.
Old 10-09-22, 06:14 PM
BobsPoprad

Bikes: Lemond Poprad, Cervelo Soloist, Cannondale F4, RANS Velocity Squared

Quoted: 42 Post(s)
Liked 66 Times in 45 Posts
In all seriousness, I don't honk prior to, or while passing a cyclist while driving. Don't want to scare the hell out of someone. But usually I just slow down and drive carefully.
Likes For BobsPoprad:
Old 10-09-22, 06:29 PM
Murray Missile 

Bikes: More than there were awhile ago.

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 630 Post(s)
Liked 1,261 Times in 602 Posts
Just because you saw him doesn't mean he was able to see you, especially since he was probably looking over his shoulder or in a small mirror trying to discern if there was a vehicle overtaking him. Which is possibly why he drifted out of the bike lane, I know I've been in that exact situation. Vehicles can be hard to see in a little bike mirror or looking back over your shoulder even under the best conditions.

I have a 65 mile a day commute, a lot of it in the lighting conditions you described depending on the time of year. About 50% of it is rural blacktops and two lane highway, 25% interstate and 25% city. Most people have their lights on but some don't and they ARE harder to see depending on the background behind them or if they're in the shadows of trees, etc.. Also if the rising or setting sun is behind them they are hard to see but the vehicles with their lights on are much more visible. If there's any type of reduced visibility because of the time of day, weather, fog or if I have the sun behind me, etc. I turn my lights on. In fact my old work beater has been modified so the low beams come on if the ignition is on and the car is in gear instead of just the DRL's. "Drive smart, drive safe" turn your lights on for a little added safety, make yourself more visible to other traffic...... it's like putting strobes on your bicycle for daytime riding. It's easy and painless, especially since most vehicles built in the past 30 years have an automatic headlight function and DRL's.
Old 10-09-22, 06:31 PM
3alarmer 
Friendship is Magic

Originally Posted by stephr1

It was about 7:30AM and, while the sun was up, it was still a little dusky because of the overcast (SF Bay Area in the fall). Some cars had their headlights on, others did not. Some of the street lights were on, others not. I did not have my lights on because it was light enough to see things just fine.
...in those circumstances, the rationale for you having your lights on is not so that you can see things. It is so others can see your car. I don't know what the specific section of the vehicle code is, or how it reads, but if some of the street lights were still on, turning on your lights is the preferred option. That guy was only trying to do you a favor, because he probably was having trouble seeing you.

When I yelled at my tow people, I was not trying to do them a favor. At that moment in time, I hated both of them.
Old 10-09-22, 06:34 PM
spelger

Bikes: yes, i have one

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 1136 Post(s)
Liked 1,179 Times in 686 Posts
sure, you may have been able to see without lights but it is not always for you to see but for you to be seen by others.
Likes For spelger:
Old 10-09-22, 06:47 PM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 211 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18398 Post(s)
Liked 15,494 Times in 7,317 Posts
I’ll bite…

Maybe there was hazardous debris is the bike lane, such as mounds of human poop.

And I always drive with my headlights on for just such an occasion.

Last edited by indyfabz; 10-09-22 at 07:09 PM.
Likes For indyfabz:
Old 10-09-22, 06:58 PM
SalsaShark

Bikes: 2014 Trek Allant drop bar conversion, modified Schwinn MTN commuter, 2015 Trek 520, Soma ES, Salsa Journeyman, 1980 Trek 414

Quoted: 178 Post(s)
Liked 355 Times in 166 Posts
As I closed in on him I beeped (not lay on the horn for 10 secs.) to let him know I was coming.....
Don't honk when you pass a cyclist. Do you honk when you overtake any other vehicle? Do you honk when you pass by a car in the slow lane on the interstate? Why do motorists feel the need to honk at a bicycle when they are passing? Unless you know me and are trying to say "hello" while in your car, this is one sure way to immediately piss me off and throw you the finger. I am well aware that cars are going to overtake me out on the road, it is inevitable - I wouldn't be out riding if it bothered me. But can you imagine if every freaking car honked at you when they passed by? All you are doing is announcing that you have no idea how to drive while around cyclists.
Old 10-09-22, 07:06 PM
Chuck M 
Happy With My Bikes

Bikes: Hi-Ten bike boomers, a Trek Domane and some projects

Quoted: 880 Post(s)
Liked 2,304 Times in 1,114 Posts
Just my two cents, but he probably considered the honk as a rectal move on your part.

Old 10-09-22, 07:06 PM
Koyote

Mentioned: 38 Post(s)
Quoted: 6943 Post(s)
Liked 10,944 Times in 4,677 Posts
Driving without headlights on a foggy morning is foolish and dangerous, and honking at a cyclist is rude and unnecessary. You could've simply waited a few seconds for him to move back over (after he had made it safely around some roadkill or garbage in the road, most likely), but I suppose that would've been an enormous inconvenience.

I'm still trying to figure out why this detail needed to be mentioned:
I looked at the guy and he was a bit older (because he had a fairly gray beard).
Old 10-09-22, 07:26 PM
rsbob 
Grupetto Bob

Bikes: Bikey McBike Face

Quoted: 2571 Post(s)
Liked 5,600 Times in 2,907 Posts
I never honk at cyclists even as a good meaning warning for fear of startling them. I have been honked at by less than decent people while staying way over minding my own business just because they want to give cyclists a hard time. Your well meaning gesture may have been interpreted as less than friendly and their response was reciprocal. Just sayin’

Likes For rsbob:
Old 10-09-22, 07:31 PM
stephr1

Originally Posted by Koyote
You came on a cycling forum to bash a cyclist.

This should be fun.
Yep. Love to instigate controversy but am surprised at how fast the wagons got circled
Likes For stephr1:
Old 10-09-22, 07:31 PM
urbanknight
Over the hill

Bikes: Giant Defy, Giant Revolt

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 995 Post(s)
Liked 1,203 Times in 689 Posts
Originally Posted by 3alarmer
...on my bike, yesterday, I encountered not one, but two separate instances of cyclists coming head on at me, on my side of the trail. The first one played chicken right up until the very last moment, because he was struggling to pass someone in his lane, and needed all of my lane to pass that person. I yelled , "Jesus ******g Christ !!!", as I braked. The second, much more egregious instance, was farther down the trail, where three guys on bicycles needed my lane as well as theirs, so they could ride three abreast. At this person (the one in my lane), I yelled, "Move the **** Over !!!".
Old 10-09-22, 07:40 PM
rsbob 
Grupetto Bob

Bikes: Bikey McBike Face

Quoted: 2571 Post(s)
Liked 5,600 Times in 2,907 Posts
Yep. Love to instigate controversy but am surprised at how fast the wagons got circled
It’s not personal but have you even considered that your well meaning gesture was mis-interpreted, since what you did it outside the norm of most cyclists experience? I know when I post something here and get a lot of blow back, I reevaluate rather than double down or get defensive/hurt. But that is just me.

Likes For rsbob:
Old 10-09-22, 07:45 PM
jon c. 

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 1591 Post(s)
Liked 1,017 Times in 571 Posts
Ain't nothing anyone can tell you that you don't already know.
Likes For jon c.:
Old 10-09-22, 07:46 PM
3alarmer 
Friendship is Magic

Originally Posted by urbanknight
...I guess he has a cleaner vocabulary than I do. Now I feel like a big potty mouth,
Old 10-09-22, 07:47 PM
3alarmer 
Friendship is Magic

. This forum is predominately inhabited by heartless and unfeeling trolls, unfit to respond to sensitive souls like us.
Old 10-09-22, 07:51 PM
SpedFast
Just Pedaling

Bikes: YEP!

Quoted: 328 Post(s)
Liked 516 Times in 343 Posts
Hope everyone is doing well. Haven't been here in a while but this morning motivated me to check in, kind of.

I was in my car heading over to the grocery store this morning. I was on one of those streets that wasn't a main street but wasn't really residential. It does get a bit of traffic at times during the day but this morning was fairly quiet.

It was about 7:30AM and, while the sun was up, it was still a little dusky because of the overcast (SF Bay Area in the fall). Some cars had their headlights on, others did not. Some of the street lights were on, others not. I did not have my lights on because it was light enough to see things just fine. I'm driving along said street which is single lane on each side with matching bike lanes. I look ahead and see a guy on a road bike going my direction and he seems to be more in the road than the bike lane. As I closed in on him I beeped (not lay on the horn for 10 secs.) to let him know I was coming so he would make sure to stay in the bike lane (there were no left turns coming up so he had no reason to be in the car lane).
He moved back into the bike lane (he had started to drift back into the main road, so I slowed down and tried not to crowd him). As I went by him, rather than give me a "thanks" wave for letting him know, he yelled at me: "Lights!". I looked at the guy and he was a bit older (because he had a fairly gray beard). I thought "What an a** hole." and drove on. As an after thought, I should have yelled back at him "Stay in the bike lane!" but it was too late..
I'm an older dude and have a hard time seeing traffic approach my six when it's less than bright sun. Them little mirrors are tough on the old eye. So I appreciate cars with their lights on and think to myself what jerks they are when they don't too. Oh, I'm sorry, you were the one without the light. My bad.
Likes For SpedFast:
Old 10-09-22, 07:52 PM
urbanknight
Over the hill

Bikes: Giant Defy, Giant Revolt

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 995 Post(s)
Liked 1,203 Times in 689 Posts
...I guess he has a cleaner vocabulary than I do. Now I feel like a big potty mouth,
Oh, I have another one of me and a motorist which I need to bleep a bunch of my words out before I can post it.

I do wish, however, that I had just stopped in the middle of my lane and let them decide how to get around, instead of bailing out onto the pedestrian lane.

Last edited by urbanknight; 10-09-22 at 08:22 PM.
Likes For urbanknight:
Old 10-09-22, 07:53 PM
stephr1

OK. A lot of responses here so let me clarify this a bit.

1. I stated it was overcast, not foggy. I could see ahead and behind at least 200+ yards so clarity was good. So there was no reason to have my headlights on. Apparently the cyclist didn't see a need to either because I saw no flashing lights on his bike, neither front nor back. That to me is a dumb and dangerous move on his part. Despite that, I knew he was there and tried to deal with his presence in as safe a manner as possible under the circumstances. It would have been easy to accelerate and give him wide birth as I sped past him. However, I chose to respect his space and I had hoped he would have respected mine, as well, which he did not.
2. I could also see that the bike lane was clear of debris and he had no reason to be in the middle of the road other than by choice.
3. As I got within a 100 ft. of him, that was the point he moved back into the road ahead of me. I slowed down and hit my horn to remind him I was still there and he kindly (or so I thought that would be his reaction) moved back into his lane and remained there.
4. Once he did that, I passed by under the speed limit (30 MPH) just in case he decided to disrespect my space again.

I ride, as well, and I really dislike it when a car is going over the speed limit, has the room to move towards the middle of the road to give me space and still gets close enough to me in the bike lane that I could clip the side mirror with my elbow.

So, I like all the assumptions people have made here but what gets me is how fast you jumped on my case for respecting the presence of the cyclist and assume I was completely in the wrong, like cyclists don't exhibit dumb and dangerous behavior, because it does happen. And, like others have posted here, cyclists are not immune from making bad choices. This is why drivers get pissed off and take out the next cyclist they encounter. I practice the utmost respect when I'm out riding because I know the potentially unfortunate circumstances if I don't.

So, from my point of view, I did nothing wrong (even the honking) and did everything I could to respect the cyclist's space and remind him I was there. The fact that he wanted to put the blame on me for his inappropriate manner of riding is unacceptable. The next person to come along may not be as respectful and understanding as I am and he could end up paying the price for his arrogance. That's on him, not me.

Last edited by stephr1; 10-09-22 at 08:28 PM.
Old 10-09-22, 07:54 PM
SpedFast
Just Pedaling

Bikes: YEP!

Quoted: 328 Post(s)
Liked 516 Times in 343 Posts
Originally Posted by urbanknight
Time for a well place luggie
Likes For SpedFast:
Old 10-09-22, 07:57 PM
stephr1

Originally Posted by Koyote
Driving without headlights on a foggy morning is foolish and dangerous, and honking at a cyclist is rude and unnecessary. You could've simply waited a few seconds for him to move back over (after he had made it safely around some roadkill or garbage in the road, most likely), but I suppose that would've been an enormous inconvenience.

I'm still trying to figure out why this detail needed to be mentioned:
I only mentioned it because I made an assumption, right or wrong, that he was an experienced rider (seemed dressed that way) and knew better than to be out in the middle of the road when he must have known a car was coming because I did see him look back a couple of times. See my other other response.
Likes For stephr1:
Old 10-09-22, 07:59 PM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 211 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18398 Post(s)
Liked 15,494 Times in 7,317 Posts

There! I said it!
Old 10-09-22, 08:03 PM
stephr1

Originally Posted by SpedFast
I'm an older dude and have a hard time seeing traffic approach my six when it's less than bright sun. Them little mirrors are tough on the old eye. So I appreciate cars with their lights on and think to myself what jerks they are when they don't too. Oh, I'm sorry, you were the one without the light. My bad.
And damn proud of it
Likes For stephr1:

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.