Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Clydesdales/Athenas (200+ lb / 91+ kg)
Reload this Page >

Is it just me or are others embarrassed?

Notices
Clydesdales/Athenas (200+ lb / 91+ kg) Looking to lose that spare tire? Ideal weight 200+? Frustrated being a large cyclist in a sport geared for the ultra-light? Learn about the bikes and parts that can take the abuse of a heavier cyclist, how to keep your body going while losing the weight, and get support from others who've been successful.

Is it just me or are others embarrassed?

Old 07-19-09, 09:45 AM
Oidar

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by txvintage
WAIT, WHAT? You got a new bike and haven't posted new bike pics yet? Don't make me come over there!

Really, you wanna see a picture of it? I mean, yeah, it's great and all, but it's just stock, straight out of the store maybe 18 hours ago.

It's NEVER too soon, unless you have an injury and your Doc has told you to stay off the bike. Awkward, smawkward. It will pass. The first ride, or rides, may only be up the street and back, or maybe around the block.

Let me clarify "awkward" be cause the shop's closed today and maybe I'm doing something wrong. The first thing is, the seat is killing me between the legs! Secondly, I'm so heavy, I think I'm compressing those front shocks all the way down as well as nearly flattening the tires when I hit a bump, and I feel like I'm leaning too far over the handlebars.

Those are major milestones and not to be taken lightly. Eventually it will be around the block twice, then a couple of miles, then several miles. It's a long journey, and thankfully we have our bikes to have a great time and enjoy the journey on.
Thank you for the encouraging words. You hit the nail on the head. I rode *maybe* 3 blocks round trip this morning, and my legs were rubbery and my arms and shoulders hurt from holding all my weight up over the handlebars. I came back and put it in the garage, but after reading this, Im going to go out and try it again.

Thanks!
Old 07-19-09, 12:30 PM
nkfrench 

Bikes: 2006 Specialized Ruby Pro aka "Rhubarb" / and a backup road bike

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 4 Posts
If your rides are measured in blocks instead of miles, so be it. It takes time to get out of shape and it takes time to get into shape. Your body is going to need some time to adapt to the stresses. The important thing is that you went 3 blocks farther than you went before.

Try to avoid the bumps. If you can stand up slightly off the saddle and let your knees and bent elbows provide additional shock absorbing, it's easier on your bike and your butt/back if you do have to take some.

Bike shorts will help with friction with the saddle and also with loose skin or untoned muscle that can waggle around and chafe.
Old 07-19-09, 03:11 PM
delmalpz

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by turtlewoman
I am just starting back to bicycling after about 15 years of complete inactivity. I am 5'5" and 236. Kind of a round little person! My problem is that I am very embarrassed to go out on my bike. I really love riding but I am afraid some creep will yell something at me or someone will laugh. And wearing bike shorts---FORGET THAT! Does anybody else feel that way or is it just me?
Kate: I'm new to BF and you've inspired my first post. I'm 1/2" taller (hey, every inch counts!) and a few pounds heavier than you, but all in all, we're in about the same boat. I cycled a bit about 10 years ago, but it didn't "stick" that time, for some reason. This time, I'm experiencing some of the same near-obsessive feelings about cycling and bike acquisition (if I don't get a Bianchi road bike w/in the next few months, I may explode) that many of the other members of this forum seem to have. I've only been riding for about a month and I'm getting in 1.5 and 2 hour rides several times a week. The first day I rode, I went round and round my semi-circular driveway for 20-25 minutes, I think mostly to avoid being seen, but also to figure out if I still remembered how to do it. Well, I remember! Here's my 2 cents, and I have to keep it in mind, myself, too: Do NOT deny yourself something you love to do and that's so good for you because of fear or shame. Let's get out there and to heck with the "pointers and laughers."
Likes For delmalpz:
Old 07-19-09, 06:35 PM
rthomse

Bikes: Cannondale R1000- IronHorse MTB

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Do us a favor.When you drop the weight have a befor and after photo. Just grind out the miles and the change will be dramatic!!!!!!
Old 07-19-09, 09:54 PM
turtlewoman

Bikes: Peugeot something 1975

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
Delmalpz--thanks for the encouragement from someone about my size. I've decided to definitely get my shorts as soon as I can afford them--those suckers are expensive! But in the meantime I will be increasing my mileage or perhaps now I should say "footage". So by the time I actually get the shorts I will really need them!
Thanks to all for the great posts!
Kate
Old 07-19-09, 10:04 PM
PlatyPius
Arsehole

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I've spent 41 years not caring what other people say or think. Ergo, I wear what I want. If people are amused by a fat guy in bibs and a "Fat B@st@rd" jersey, so be it.
Old 07-19-09, 10:10 PM
delmalpz

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Kate: By the way, I saw a URL in another thread for an Ebay store with really decent prices on cycling gear: https://stores.shop.ebay.com/LOVE2PED...__W0QQ_armrsZ1 . Take a look and see if anything appeals to your pocketbook there. And you're more than welcome for the encouragement.

Delma
Old 07-19-09, 10:33 PM
Condorita
Grammar Cop

Bikes: in my sig line

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
I think Aerotech is pretty economical. And I always wear baggy shorts over my cycling shorts, because I want some money, my keys, and my wallet on me. The other cyclists out there will either ignore you or offer words of encouragement.
Old 07-19-09, 10:44 PM
turtlewoman

Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
Delma,
I went to ebay and found a pair of shorts in my size (I think) with an opening bid of $5.99!!! So I bid $8.00. If I get them for that I will be shocked!
Thanks,
Kate
Old 07-20-09, 10:54 AM
DTSCDS
"Fred"--is that bad?

Bikes: Felt f85 (11); Trek 7.3 FX (07); Schwinn Super Sport (86); Specialized Rockhopper (87)

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I am one of those people that used to snicker at 'large' people doing any physical activity. Which, made absolutely NO SENSE because at the time I was 400+ pounds. I would see some larger person walking or riding a bike and snicker to myself and wonder--"What are they THINKING!? I would NEVER be seen in public trudging along like that!" Of course that made it easier for me to not do anything about my weight. I wouldn't want people to be looking at me that same way now would I?! HOW EMBARRASSING THAT WOULD BE!!!! So, better off with the diabetes and high blood pressure than be embarrassed! Now that that's settled let's go hit the buffet!

Now, I am down in the 240's. At 6'3" I look 'average' sized now. It has been a long journey for me and the hardest part was getting out and doing SOMETHING. I still sometimes have a slight twinge of embarrassment as the skinny, high-performance Lance wanna-bees come blowing by me. Over time it gets easier.

Now, when I see someone--no matter how big they are and how slow they are moving--they get my respect. They are out doing SOMETHING! They, and me too, will probably never be able to compete at a high level but they are moving toward something positive and away from something negative.

I know lots of folks have said to just ignore the ones that would make an actual out-loud comment. It won't be that easy. There will be people that will make comments and it will hurt when they do. You should just go into it realizing that possibility. But, I think that by knowing it could happen, it will mitigate the pain a bit if/when it does happen. Don't let it derail your efforts though.

I will most likely never meet you but you have my respect. For whatever it's worth, I'm proud of you for making an effort to improve yourself!
Old 07-20-09, 11:07 AM
djnzlab1

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
your arms are hurting?

HI,
One member posted about ridding around the block acouple times and their arms and hands were hurting, sound like a serious bike fit problem.
MAnyof us big people forget the most important part about bike ridding is the fit.
1 inch in seat height, 1in fore and aft seat adjustment your seat should be level if your male and maybe a lttle down if female., even the angle of the handle bars makes a big difference. SO be sure your ridding a well fitting bike or you may never be able to enjoy a longer ride.
Doug
Old 07-20-09, 11:21 AM
Pinyon

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Bike shorts mostly help out for longer rides, where sweat becomes a problem where your body touches the saddle. The rubbing action of wet fabric with seams is the problem. It can be sort of like applying most of your body weight behind a wet dish towel to the area.

For rides that take less than an hour, I just wear regular clothes. Maybe not tight-fitting dress pants, but just about anything else that fits will be just as comfortable on shorter rides.

Whatever you are comfortable with. Just ride.

Old 07-20-09, 07:49 PM
vorkus

Bikes: Diamondback Wildewood Deluxe, Giant TCX 1

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Hey turtlewoman its about you and your body. Don't worry about them. Ride as much as you can as often as you can. Feel good about your accomplishments.

I get the smiles and snickers. You just have to ignore it. I come up behind people, who then speed up. I call it "putting the fear of fat" into them. No way they want to be passed by a fat guy. With the exception of the few serious scrawny cyclists I can run most of them down. I've been at it for 3 years and I ride 100+ miles per week.

I did have one positive comment just a few weeks ago. I was pumping my way up a long, low grade hill. I had a high cadence (about 95) and doing about 14 mph. I passed these 3 biker dudes (as in motorcycles). They had stopped to walk on the trail. The one said, "Keep going brother!" and gave me a sincere nodded.

Good luck!
Old 07-20-09, 07:55 PM
isara
Big Girl Biking

Bikes: Trek 7.2 FX

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Oh my gosh! I soooo hear you! For the longest time, I was in the same boat, since there are really so many jerks out there who will try to make you feel inferior. Well, y'know what? Being fat and out of shape is FIXABLE. Learning to not be a jerk is much more difficult!

Go out there, have a great time, and don't let the losers get you down. They're only responding from their own insecurities and looking for someone to pick on. Sod them!
Old 07-20-09, 09:14 PM
turtlewoman

Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
Ok, I ordered the shorts It's an ebay auction so I won't know for a couple of days if my bid was high enough. But, here's the deal. I got a cycling computer a few days ago and just got it put on. So I went for my neighborhood loop which I knew wasn't very long. It turned out it's only 2 miles. But I was beat afterwards--as I usually am. Tomorrow I'm going to try to go two loops just to see if I can. When the shorts get here I think I'll wear them anyway even though it's only 2-4 miles. You guys have made me feel so empowered.
I got my bike from Chainbreakers Collective here in Santa Fe, it is a really cool place. They have lots of bikes of all kinds in various stages of disrepair. So I picked out a Peugeot, I don't know what model exactly, I think its a UO-18 which is from the mid-70's. I am so pleased with it. I had to true the wheels, change the rear derailleur, change cables, put on some new brake pads, put on a new seat, adjust the rear derailleur. But the reason I started this is because I also got some spd pedals and compatible shoes from the Collective. I finally got the old pedals off today and put on the new ones. So, I rode my two mile loop clipped in the the pedals. It was harrowing a couple of times but I managed to get unlatched at the last minute!! But it was so cool, I felt like a real bicyclist. Now when I get my shorts and can afford the exhorbitant price for a jersey I will be the coolest cyclist in Santa Fe--even if I can only go a couple of miles. So, this was a very long post but I just wanted you guys to know that I have been listening.
Likes For turtlewoman:
Old 07-20-09, 09:18 PM
PlatyPius
Arsehole

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by delmalpz
Kate: By the way, I saw a URL in another thread for an Ebay store with really decent prices on cycling gear: https://stores.shop.ebay.com/LOVE2PED...__W0QQ_armrsZ1 . Take a look and see if anything appeals to your pocketbook there. And you're more than welcome for the encouragement.

Delma
That's where my Fat B@st@rd jersey came from. It's Santini clothing....really nice stuff.
Old 07-20-09, 09:18 PM
Tom Stormcrowe
Out fishing with Annie on his lap, a cigar in one hand and a ginger ale in the other, watching the sunset.

Bikes: Techna Wheelchair and a Sun EZ 3 Recumbent Trike

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked 22 Times in 17 Posts
Good for you! Keep at it, and just enjoy the riding and before you know it, you'll be doing longer and longer rides.

"We can judge the heart of a man by his treatment of animals." - Immanuel Kant
Old 07-20-09, 09:43 PM
delmalpz

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Kate: Wow. I'm so impressed with all that adjusting and stuff you did on your bike. Is there a "Zen and the Art of Bicycle Maintenance" book that will help me learn? How did you learn? Do you have any outlet malls in your area? I just got some great tops at an Adidas outlet store (not cycling- specific, but made of good, wicking athletic-type fabric) on clearance this past weekend. Delma
Old 07-21-09, 12:20 AM
turtlewoman

Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
Delmapz,
Hi. I don't know of any book like you mentioned. The Chainbreakers Collective I was talking about where I got my bike always has 2-4 real bike mechanics who do or have worked at the LBS. That's the whole point of the Collective. The mechanics volunteer their time and help you fix your bike yourself. Then when your done and have a useable bike you get to keep it. You either pay a nominal fee for it or contribute volunteer hours equal to the time you put into the bike. I could have gotten a Cannondale, Specialized, Trek or several other good name brand bikes. But I really liked the Peugeot because it is exactly the same as the first bike I bought when I graduated from high school. It's the same color and everything. I have learned so much from hanging around CC and met some really great people.
Old 07-21-09, 07:55 AM
Porkponey
Do a barrel roll.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
It's all about the confidence. Those first few pounds of loss are the best feeling ever. A little over 2 weeks ago I didn't even want to look at myself in the mirror. Now I can't get enough. The weight is coming off, I'm seeing progress and I'm proud and thus more confident.

Just keep this in mind; You can't really hide the fact that you're fat, but you CAN change it.

(Not trying to call you fat as opposed to any of the other more pc terms, I just always say fat when I say that.)
Old 07-21-09, 08:06 AM
Neil_B

Mentioned: Post(s)
Tagged: Thread(s)
Quoted: Post(s)
Delmapz,
Hi. I don't know of any book like you mentioned.
There are any number of good bike maintenance books available, including "Zinn and the Art of Bicycle Maintenance" by Leonard Zinn.

Old 07-21-09, 08:27 AM
zoste
VoodooChile

Bikes: Salsa Casseroll

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Ok, I ordered the shorts It's an ebay auction so I won't know for a couple of days if my bid was high enough. But, here's the deal. I got a cycling computer a few days ago and just got it put on. So I went for my neighborhood loop which I knew wasn't very long. It turned out it's only 2 miles. But I was beat afterwards--as I usually am. Tomorrow I'm going to try to go two loops just to see if I can. When the shorts get here I think I'll wear them anyway even though it's only 2-4 miles. You guys have made me feel so empowered.
I got my bike from Chainbreakers Collective here in Santa Fe, it is a really cool place. They have lots of bikes of all kinds in various stages of disrepair. So I picked out a Peugeot, I don't know what model exactly, I think its a UO-18 which is from the mid-70's. I am so pleased with it. I had to true the wheels, change the rear derailleur, change cables, put on some new brake pads, put on a new seat, adjust the rear derailleur. But the reason I started this is because I also got some spd pedals and compatible shoes from the Collective. I finally got the old pedals off today and put on the new ones. So, I rode my two mile loop clipped in the the pedals. It was harrowing a couple of times but I managed to get unlatched at the last minute!! But it was so cool, I felt like a real bicyclist. Now when I get my shorts and can afford the exhorbitant price for a jersey I will be the coolest cyclist in Santa Fe--even if I can only go a couple of miles. So, this was a very long post but I just wanted you guys to know that I have been listening.
That's because you are a real bicyclist.

Very cool about getting your bike from a collective, too. Now you have a pretty good idea of what it will take to maintain it

+1 on Zinn. I also Have Park Tool's Big Blue Book and Bicycling Magazine's Repair Guide
Old 07-21-09, 08:43 AM
Neil_B

Mentioned: Post(s)
Tagged: Thread(s)
Quoted: Post(s)
Originally Posted by Porkponey
It's all about the confidence. Those first few pounds of loss are the best feeling ever. A little over 2 weeks ago I didn't even want to look at myself in the mirror. Now I can't get enough.
Oh good, I'm not the only one who became vain from weight loss.

BTW, I've finally reached the point I recognize my own face when looking in the mirror. For years I was looking for the fat(ter) guy I used to be.

Me, 400 pounds, October 2005. That's a 5x shirt. I was at the Cleveland Public Library doing research, and I couldn't walk the three blocks from my hotel without stopping.

Me, about 360 pounds, February 2006. I'm down about 25-40 pounds from my peak.

My "low" point, July 2007, 242 pounds. I'd just completed a 25 mile ride with another Bike Forums poster:

Likes For :
Old 07-21-09, 10:49 AM
isara
Big Girl Biking

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Wowsa! What a change, Historian!!!
Old 07-21-09, 11:13 AM
LarDasse74

Bikes: I never learned to ride a bike. It is my deepest shame.

Liked 6 Times in 6 Posts
I cannot remember the last time I felt self-conscious while riding... but when I get off my bike it is another story... I often ride to work and (as others have said) have to walk past the smoking area on my way to my building to get changed...

But when I am on my bike I never give it a second thought.

Also, the Mountan Bike shorts with loose shorts over the lycra are comfortable and I do not feel self conscious when I wear those.

But that is me. Do whatever makes you comfortable. If you want to ride in sweats or warm-up pants or whatever then go for it... but you will probably be considerably more comfortable in cycling-specific clothes - or at least something that breathes well and does not have bulky seams like jeans. You will probably find that while you are riding your appearance is the last thing on your mind.

oh...and Welcome!

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.