Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Rear Rack Recommendation retro Raleigh

Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Rear Rack Recommendation retro Raleigh

Old 03-28-18, 11:28 AM
Salamandrine 

Bikes: 78 Masi Criterium, 68 PX10, 2016 Mercian King of Mercia, Rivendell Clem Smith Jr

Mentioned: 120 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2317 Post(s)
Liked 597 Times in 430 Posts
Originally Posted by USAZorro
Different strokes. lol I've had one of those for 5+ years. It's finding its way onto my soon-to-be randoneuse.
Oh for sure it's a taste thing. And I hate okra but love broccoli.
Old 03-28-18, 11:56 AM
The Golden Boy 
Extraordinary Magnitude

Bikes: 1978 Trek TX700; 1978/79 Trek 736; 1984 Specialized Stumpjumper Sport; 1984 Schwinn Voyageur SP; 1985 Trek 620; 1985 Trek 720; 1986 Trek 400 Elance; 1987 Schwinn High Sierra; 1990 Miyata 1000LT

Mentioned: 84 Post(s)
Quoted: 2607 Post(s)
Liked 1,694 Times in 933 Posts
Originally Posted by Maddox
Old thread is old.
It's working on it now... ...

Originally Posted by Bikedued
2 months? Hardly old...? There are people that bring 4-5 year old threads back from the dead, and it takes a while to realize, with everything in real
time these days. If they were color coded or something, lol?,,,,BD
Originally Posted by Salamandrine
It's kind of funny how rosy the past looks in retrospect. A "traditional" rack almost certainly would have been a Pletscher or a Raleigh presstube rack. There weren't a whole lot of options BITD.

Personally, I find the SOMA rack hideous. Trying way too hard.
Agreed.

I guess I'd be tempted to try to make a Blackburn Mountain Rack work rather than a Pletscher.

Commence to jigglin’ huh?!?!

"But hey, always love to hear from opinionated amateurs." -says some guy to Mr. Marshall.
Old 03-28-18, 01:40 PM
RobHalligan

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 4 Posts
Point taken, Salamandrine. I'll cop to being spoiled.

Soma is too modern for a 3-speed. And I have a thing about paying more for a rack than I paid for the bike.
Old 04-01-18, 05:21 PM
SotR23

Bikes: 71 Raleigh Grand Prix, 73 Raleigh Super Course, 73 Raleigh Gran Sport, 72 Raleigh Competition, 79 Raleigh Competition GS, 74 Raleigh International, 78 Raleigh Professional, 36 Raleigh 3-Speed, 37 Raleigh 3-Speed, 57 Lenton Sports, 71 Raleigh DL-1

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 9 Times in 5 Posts
I just picked up a 52 Raleigh Sports with a rack attached. The brand is called Midland.
Old 04-01-18, 05:30 PM
clubman 
Phyllo-buster

Bikes: roadsters, club bikes, fixed and classic

Mentioned: 133 Post(s)
Quoted: 2295 Post(s)
Liked 2,044 Times in 1,252 Posts
Originally Posted by RobHalligan
Point taken, Salamandrine. I'll cop to being spoiled.

Soma is too modern for a 3-speed. And I have a thing about paying more for a rack than I paid for the bike.
Have a look at this Presstube rack Rob. Never mounted, some shopwear. PM me if interested.
Old 04-20-18, 12:29 PM
RobHalligan

Liked 8 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by clubman
Have a look at this Presstube rack Rob. Never mounted, some shopwear. PM me if interested.
Thanks clubman. That arrived today and it looks great. That was very nice of you...hope the PayPal arrived.

I also bought a Wald rack and plan to install that another bike. Having to drill out the holes on the rack where that is to attach to the dropouts is holding that back. I'll post pictures of both racks as I progress (...am working on my daily driver before these projects). I'll show the Wald "butchered" and un-"butchered" on a Raleigh 3-speed.

Thank you all for your help.
Old 04-20-18, 01:59 PM
clubman 
Phyllo-buster

Bikes: roadsters, club bikes, fixed and classic

Mentioned: 133 Post(s)
Quoted: 2295 Post(s)
Liked 2,044 Times in 1,252 Posts
Good news Rob.
Old 04-20-18, 03:41 PM
Cute Boy Horse

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 230 Post(s)
Liked 18 Times in 11 Posts
I'm going to say the most traditional rack is no rack at all, just a gigantic round saddlebag with a cutout to fit the saddle springs. I've got an alloy pletcher right now and I can't stand the sight of it, but needs must.
Old 04-20-18, 04:56 PM
RobHalligan

Liked 8 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by Cute Boy Horse
I'm going to say the most traditional rack is no rack at all, just a gigantic round saddlebag with a cutout to fit the saddle springs. I've got an alloy pletcher right now and I can't stand the sight of it, but needs must.
Surely. Good point....but a rack is really practical. I've thought of the Pletscher rack as the standard but am exploring some alternatives as I don't like the look of them. (I do love my Esge Pletscher double kickstands and the Esge rack I had on a German bike.)

I like the look of the Prestubes which came stock on some Raleighs, and I'm gambling $20 on a Wald rack that I plan to modify as discussed above. I have a Steco rack that I'll install on my Tourist when I get around to re-assembling it. I don't mind a bit of a resto-mod such as LED bulbs in my Dynohub lamps, a cambium saddle rather than leather or vinyl, and a reflecto strip on my tire side walls.

Last edited by RobHalligan; 04-20-18 at 05:09 PM. Reason: added the kickstand and Esge rack bit.
Old 04-21-18, 09:36 AM
ollo_ollo

Bikes: Still have a few left!

Mentioned: 48 Post(s)
Quoted: 465 Post(s)
Liked 526 Times in 265 Posts
Fair Warning: My 74 Raleigh Superbe has a Presstube rack. I never much liked the spring loaded clamp back in the day, so removed mine during the initial clean-up. With passage of time, decided to go back to stock, but gave up after wasting an afternoon trying to puzzle out how to properly tension the spring when re-mounting. I saved all the parts but removal may be permanent. Don
Old 08-23-19, 05:26 PM
RobHalligan

Liked 8 Times in 4 Posts
Why can’t I find a simple traditional rear rack of pleasing proportions for Raleigh-type 26-inch wheel bikes? These may be the most popular utility bikes in the history of the western world. Utility equals rack.

To head off some suggestions, I find the Pletscher and Sunlite racks ungainly-looking. Prestubes are hard to find color-matched and cost a lot when found in decent shape. (I wouldn’t come to this group with a question if I hadn’t searched hard for a solution on my own. Most of the photos online are of Raleigh 10-speeds, and 3-speeds have their dropout eyelets in a different location.)

The "butchered" Wald 215 rack above is appealing and tempting to emulate. However, that's a 10-speed frame with the rear dropout eyelet on top rather behind the axle. Hard to tell if it would look as good set back further.
I installed that Wald rack on a Raleigh 3-speed with 26 inch wheels and fenders. The rack was a little too short; so, I cut out two of the rack cross members to keep the rack from pushing the fenders into the tire. I had to drill out the holes at the 3 points where the rack attached -- at the brake bolt and at the dropouts. I decided not to reduce the size of the "platform" (partially because I already weakened the structure by cutting the cross members). The tongue connecting the platform to the brake caliper bolt required some cutting and bending. I'm not sure I'll do it again...still searching for a solution. I use Steco racks on my 28 inch wheel bikes: https://www.dutchbikebits.com/steco-sturdy-luggage-rack

Last edited by RobHalligan; 08-23-19 at 05:35 PM. Reason: Fixed a spelling mistake.
Old 03-16-20, 10:27 AM
savvylu

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
JohnDThompson - I just bought a Raleigh Sports and took it into a bike shop. The mechanic told me I couldn't attach a rack.... but the photo of your wife's bike with a rack looks like the same model I have. The link you posted to the rack isn't working - do you remember the name or model? Thanks!
Old 03-16-20, 04:35 PM
thumpism 
Bikes are okay, I guess.

Bikes: Waterford Paramount Touring, Giant CFM-2, Raleigh Sports 3-speeds in M23 & L23, Schwinn Cimarron oddball build, Marin Palisades Trail dropbar conversion, Nishiki Cresta GT

Mentioned: 69 Post(s)
Quoted: 2647 Post(s)
Liked 2,446 Times in 1,557 Posts
Raleigh Sports with a Pletscher works fine for me. I understand if you don't like the looks but you can't beat it for utility.
Old 03-16-20, 05:30 PM
savvylu

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
this is great! Do I need to get a vintage rack or will any pletscher do? I’m entirely new to this world, so I feel like I’m stumbling around in the dark a bit. Can you send a link to one that might work without modification? Thanks!
Old 03-16-20, 05:46 PM
bulgie 
blahblahblah chrome moly

Mentioned: 92 Post(s)
Quoted: 1172 Post(s)
Liked 2,566 Times in 1,072 Posts
Tonard racks are a sentimental fave for me. Rode across Canada with one in '76, full camping gear. Made in London UK.

They were sold in the US by the Touring Cyclist Shop, so they were known to US bikies as "TC" racks back then (Bike Boom years). At that time, they were widely regarded as the best you could get among USA tourists. Well, among those who had never seen a Singer, Herse, Jack Taylor or the like with a rack made of tubing. I think they must have been carried in the UK by Claud Butler, because I have often heard them called Claud Butler racks. But they were made by Tonard Brazing Company. Yes, they are brazed, not welded.

Tonard mostly made frames and forks for a bunch of bike shops in England that wanted a house brand, decaled with the shop's name, so the Tonard name was never seen on them. A guy who worked there said they made the racks on a piece-work basis between frame orders, to stay busy and fill out their paychecks a little..

When I started at R+E Cycles in Seattle in '79, they were selling Tonard-built frames decaled as Rodriguez, the "R" of R+E. That was the first time I'd heard the Tonard name. Those frames were nice and straight with clean attractive workmanship, definitely good quality. Better than say a Bob Jackson of the same era, if you know those. The racks are nothing special though, just solid steel rods, not tubular. Both heavier and more flexible than a Tubus, Bruce Gordon, or most any tubular rack you could name. But for a vintage British rack for a vintage British bike, you could hardly ask for better.

Here's one on eBay. Shipping from England is a bit dear, circa $40 assuming you're in the US. I'm still tempted, even though I have them on two bikes currently -- one of mine is rusty! But so far I have resisted the temptation.

They do appear for sale in the US sometimes. For keywords in your searches, in addition to Tonard, use "Claud Butler" and "TC rack". Sometimes the seller doesn't know the brand name (most of them have no brand marking at all), so it might just be called "chrome steel rack" or some such. A few of them were sold painted black or silver rather than chromed -- must have been cheaper. My rusty one was originally painted silver, not much paint left now.

Details varied a bit over the years, so you'll see some slight differences like in how they attach to the dropouts. Also see the ebay auction versus the TC catalog scan, different "third rail" in the top platform. The eBay one is newer, TC Shop is early-'70s

Mark B in Seattle
Old 03-16-20, 05:49 PM
savvylu

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanks for all of that info - very helpful! So that one would be compatible with my Raleigh Sports?
Old 03-16-20, 06:31 PM
bulgie 
blahblahblah chrome moly

Mentioned: 92 Post(s)
Quoted: 1172 Post(s)
Liked 2,566 Times in 1,072 Posts
Originally Posted by savvylu
Thanks for all of that info - very helpful! So that one would be compatible with my Raleigh Sports?
You mean the Tonard? I don't know. Mine are both on bikes with 27 x 1-1/4" wheels and fenders with generous clearance. Your bike is 26" wheels, but the attachment point on the dropout is lower, so maybe, maybe not.

Also of note, the strut that goes to the brake centerbolt is not adjustable, so the rack will only sit level on certain frames. You have a little adjustment in whether you put the strut in front of the bridge or in back, but that's it. On my 25-1/2" Super Course, the strut is a bit too long, so the rack slopes down to the rear. On my Schwinn Super Sport, I think it's about a 24" frame, the rack is level. Both of those have the strut in front of the bridge, so a somewhat smaller frame could have the rack level if you put the strut behind the bridge. I don't know what size that would be. 23" maybe? Plus Tonard rack dimensions varied over the years, so if being perfectly level is a must for you, I'd say that's risky.

On your Sports, it's even more likely to slope down towards the front, because of the rearward location of your dropout eyelets.

Mark B
Old 04-04-21, 05:43 PM
SotR23

Bikes: 71 Raleigh Grand Prix, 73 Raleigh Super Course, 73 Raleigh Gran Sport, 72 Raleigh Competition, 79 Raleigh Competition GS, 74 Raleigh International, 78 Raleigh Professional, 36 Raleigh 3-Speed, 37 Raleigh 3-Speed, 57 Lenton Sports, 71 Raleigh DL-1

Liked 9 Times in 5 Posts
Rob -
Did you ever come up to NH to buy some bikes? I think I might have sold you a 3-speed a couple of years ago. Your collection looks familiar.

Be well -
Old 04-04-21, 06:49 PM
RobHalligan

Liked 8 Times in 4 Posts
Yes, that was good fun buying that '53ish Raleigh from you. Lovely collection you have. I was cracking myself up when I said to your wife, "I swear I'm here to buy bikes not sell him more!" My sister bought a house in Meredith, NH and my brother has been coviding in Woodstock, VT, so I've thought of you a few times driving through Concord. I still have your bike. I've done a few things to it - not much. I think I have the fenders off to paint the stays at the moment. I've been riding a similar '50 Raleigh for those full chaincase 26 inch occasions.
Likes For RobHalligan:
Old 04-08-21, 08:42 PM
SotR23

Liked 9 Times in 5 Posts
Yes, that was good fun buying that '53ish Raleigh from you. Lovely collection you have. I was cracking myself up when I said to your wife, "I swear I'm here to buy bikes not sell him more!" My sister bought a house in Meredith, NH and my brother has been coviding in Woodstock, VT, so I've thought of you a few times driving through Concord. I still have your bike. I've done a few things to it - not much. I think I have the fenders off to paint the stays at the moment. I've been riding a similar '50 Raleigh for those full chaincase 26 inch occasions.
Good memory. Glad you still have her and that she’s surrounded by a family of 3 speeds. Be well.

~Chris