Search
Notices
Pills and Ills This is a discussion subforum for the health challenges faced by riders 50+. These discussions are in no way to be considered professional medical advice.

enlarged prostate

Search this Thread

Old 02-26-22, 12:10 AM
OldTryGuy

Bikes: Day6 Semi Recumbent "FIREBALL", 1981 Custom Touring Paramount, 1983 Road Paramount, 2013 Giant Propel Advanced SL3, 2018 Specialized Red Roubaix Expert mech., 2002 Magna 7sp hybrid, 1976 Bassett Racing 45sp Cruiser

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1066 Post(s)
Liked 780 Times in 502 Posts
2 extremely informative/helpful PCa Forums

https://www.inspire.com/groups/zero-prostate-cancer/

https://healthunlocked.com/
Old 02-26-22, 06:10 PM
BlackForestTerp

Bikes: Specialized Roubaix, Specialized Diverge

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
My Two Cents...

Wildwood, FWIW, I was in your shoes a few years ago, mainly a biopsy of Gleason 6 from a TRUS biopsy. I chose Active surveillance and a year later had a MRI which revealed a Pirads 4 tumor. A subsequent targeted biopsy came back with a G3+4 sample/core as read by a local pathologist. My urologist immediately wanted to do a radical prostatectomy. I asked that my pathology be repeated by Johns Hopkins, who downgraded the G7 to G6 , and back to active surveillance I went. Fast forward to this year where another MRI and biopsy couldn't find any cancer.

What I'm getting at is if I had just blindly listened to my former urologist, I would have entered treatment unnecessarily and potentially endured the inherent side-effects of treatment. I will remain on active surveillance and God willing, keep my prostate (as annoying as it is). I will say that I hate the biopsies, but am with a Dr. now that performs them using a transperineal approach to limit sepsis risk.

If you do decide to have treatment, please look into the websites that Old Try Guy has posted. He gave me great advice when I entered the prostate industrial complex, and now I know of focal treatments, such as TULSA-PRO, which are less invasive and can have less risk to urinary and sexual function.

Last edited by BlackForestTerp; 03-01-22 at 10:23 PM.
Likes For BlackForestTerp:
Old 03-07-22, 09:32 PM
Pennman

Bikes: Marin hybrid

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
I'm 79 and have had elevated PSA for years. Had all the tests and negative. My Urologist told me last week that we can forget about the psa tests from now on. Over the years we only watched for any big variances in the psa numbers, that could indicate a problem. I never had a biopsy since I had seen problems caused by them. I have had urologist that almost demanded a biopsy and I declined. I stuck to the monitoring over the years and so far it looks like it worked. In my opinion, at least in the past, urology is not a perfect science. My advise is to take things with a little grain of salt and find a good urologist that's not surgery happy.
Old 03-07-22, 09:55 PM
rsbob 
Grupetto Bob

Bikes: Bikey McBike Face

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 2571 Post(s)
Liked 5,601 Times in 2,907 Posts
Originally Posted by cb400bill
My urologist said that anyone who thinks that cycling affects their prostate doesn't understand human anatomy.
In my 40s started developing urinary urgency issues. Went an saw a urologist that put me through the ringer and diagnosed a semi-enlarged prostate. The more I rode the worse it became. Traveled out of the country for about a month (no bike riding) and the issue resolved itself. Got back on the bike when home and guess what? Yes little Timmy the condition returned. The only reprieve I get from the issue is when I am sick and can’t ride, and then back it comes once I am on the bike. No relationship? Yeah, it must be all in my head.