Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+) > Pills and Ills
Reload this Page >

Cycling after prostate surgery

Notices
Pills and Ills This is a discussion subforum for the health challenges faced by riders 50+. These discussions are in no way to be considered professional medical advice.

Cycling after prostate surgery

Old 05-20-21, 09:16 PM
Joe.a.r

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Post proctectomy and cycling.

Hello

As I being to write this I must say I am tearing up. Cycling is a passion of mine and has been my entire life. Now I am one year out from a proctectomy and I dream of riding again. I have yet to get back on my bikes for if I do anything I pee myself unless I simply sit. Yes, I do the exercises,... How do you ride without getting soaking wet? Heck and downward force on my bladder and I pee! ANY!

Thank you

Joe
Old 05-21-21, 04:52 AM
Trsnrtr
Super Modest

Bikes: Trek Emonda, Giant Propel, Colnago V3, Co-Motion Supremo, ICE VTX WC

Mentioned: 107 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 10894 Post(s)
Liked 4,559 Times in 2,089 Posts
Moving to Pills & Ills

Old 05-21-21, 06:19 PM
OldTryGuy

Bikes: Day6 Semi Recumbent "FIREBALL", 1981 Custom Touring Paramount, 1983 Road Paramount, 2013 Giant Propel Advanced SL3, 2018 Specialized Red Roubaix Expert mech., 2002 Magna 7sp hybrid, 1976 Bassett Racing 45sp Cruiser

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 1063 Post(s)
Liked 771 Times in 499 Posts
Originally Posted by Joe.a.r
Hello

As I being to write this I must say I am tearing up. Cycling is a passion of mine and has been my entire life. Now I am one year out from a proctectomy and I dream of riding again. I have yet to get back on my bikes for if I do anything I pee myself unless I simply sit. Yes, I do the exercises,... How do you ride without getting soaking wet? Heck and downward force on my bladder and I pee! ANY!
Thank you
Joe
Sorry about your post surgery condition. Have you searched for medical and natural solutions? What about OTC items? Have you been doing KEGEL exercises since before surgery??
Old 11-30-21, 08:14 PM
Mav54

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Hifu

Originally Posted by roccobike
Every prostate removal situation is different. What type of removal? DiVinci, straigt out removal or HIFU? What stage is the cancer? Is it aggressive? All factor into the answer. I had HIFU last year. I can't remember if there was a restriction. I think I had to wait 6 weeks, but I remember it wasn't long, but that's thee least invasive of the removal techniques.
I'm facing the same choices. Did the HIFU work, how long, would you do it again.
Thanks

B
Old 12-01-21, 04:20 AM
OldTryGuy

Bikes: Day6 Semi Recumbent "FIREBALL", 1981 Custom Touring Paramount, 1983 Road Paramount, 2013 Giant Propel Advanced SL3, 2018 Specialized Red Roubaix Expert mech., 2002 Magna 7sp hybrid, 1976 Bassett Racing 45sp Cruiser

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 1063 Post(s)
Liked 771 Times in 499 Posts
Originally Posted by Mav54
I'm facing the same choices. Did the HIFU work, how long, would you do it again.
Thanks

B
Gleason 10 (5+5) PCa (Prostate Cancer) since 2015 so please be aware that there are many treatment modalities depending on your PCa (r.e. - Gleason Scores, percentages in your core samples, location ..... )

Good LUCK and be your own Best Advocate (knowledge is power so research)
Likes For OldTryGuy:
Old 04-23-22, 12:28 PM
dav57

Bikes: 2016 Specialized Tarmac Di2, 2016 Specialized Epic mtb, 2015 Trek Boone 9

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked 34 Times in 16 Posts
I am 4 days post robotic prostatectomy, so far so good. I've been on another thread that was riding after biopsy, thought I should find one for post surgery. I will continue to check both and update. Follow up and catheter next week April 27. I have heard 8-12 weeks off the bike so I will see what my doctor advises. Personally I'd rather wait a couple extra weeks and be able to ride without issues again.
Old 04-23-22, 02:40 PM
Leisesturm

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 2473 Post(s)
Liked 722 Times in 513 Posts
Originally Posted by dav57
I am 4 days post robotic prostatectomy, so far so good. I've been on another thread that was riding after biopsy, thought I should find one for post surgery. I will continue to check both and update. Follow up and catheter next week April 27. I have heard 8-12 weeks off the bike so I will see what my doctor advises. Personally I'd rather wait a couple extra weeks and be able to ride without issues again.
Sounds like a good plan. Not sure why this is such an issue for so many. Doctors don't have all the answers so don't push them to tell you what you want to hear. ADD two weeks to doctor's advice. Best to you!
Old 04-27-22, 05:00 PM
dav57

Bikes: 2016 Specialized Tarmac Di2, 2016 Specialized Epic mtb, 2015 Trek Boone 9

Post surgery appointment today. Mostly good news and a little pre-caution news. Mid February biopsy was GL 7 (4+3). Pathology was now GL8 (4+4). Contained within capsule, lymph nodes clear and bladder neck clear. However some micro invasion of lymphovascular and perineural nerves. Since it went to GL8 and the lymph vascular and perineural invasion, I will do a short radiation therapy within 3-5 months. Otherwise I'm feeling great and walking as much as possible and walking much faster without that catheter. Hopefully back to running at 4 weeks.
Likes For dav57:
Old 06-10-22, 07:04 AM
dav57

Second post-op appointment yesterday. PSA <0.1!I've been doing a little running with my walks but my legs don't care for it. No continence issues and doing most everything I did before surgery. Dr said I can start with some short session on the bike trainer and build back up. I set my appointment with radiation oncologist for June 29. I'll meet with him and hopefully get the short radiation treatments done in July.
Likes For dav57:
Old 07-01-22, 06:50 PM
dav57

I got started riding on the trainer June 9. Progressed outside on Father's Day June 19. Going fine so far, no issues, 60-80 miles a week.
Now the not so great news. Met with radiation oncologist June 29. He did not like the positive inner margin. Outside looked fine but he is concerned that it was so close to the edge of the back of prostate. Also dealing with some nerve and lymph vascular invasion, even though all of these were removed that were around the prostate. Due to those 3 unknowns, he has recommended pretty much a full regimen of radiation. I'll get a PET scan July 11 and have the fiducial markers placed July 13. Then a CT scan July 20. Then I will get my start date for my treatments. He is in favor of any exercise I want to do or what I can stand while doing treatments. Anyone out there had the follow up adjuvant radiation post surgery?
Old 07-10-22, 07:00 PM
stevenl

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
12 weeks after robotic surgery

I am 69, very active, cycled 5000 miles plus each year prior to surgery in April

got on the bike about 6-7 weeks after surgery and did some very mild riding, about 6 miles

then at 9 weeks went 15 miles
and now at 12 weeks am riding 4 times a week, 25 to 35 miles

riding a bit slower than before, not pushing it, not doing any massive hills

couple of observations

got new saddle with a split, the Settie, love it

first 2-3 minutes of riding it does hurt, but then it settles in and I am fine

some discomfort at 20-23 miles but I think that is more my rear not being
accustomed to the saddle after not riding for more than two months

riding for the joy of it, not to see how fast I can go

and for those that wonder, for some reason the bib decreases the urge
to pee, instead of going sometimes every hour when at home, i have gonw
2 hours while riding, but when I get home, somehow my body knows and
I have to rush to the toilet

again, very pleased I can do this much after 12 weeks
Old 07-10-22, 07:53 PM
dav57

Originally Posted by stevenl
I am 69, very active, cycled 5000 miles plus each year prior to surgery in April

got on the bike about 6-7 weeks after surgery and did some very mild riding, about 6 miles

then at 9 weeks went 15 miles
and now at 12 weeks am riding 4 times a week, 25 to 35 miles

riding a bit slower than before, not pushing it, not doing any massive hills

couple of observations

got new saddle with a split, the Settie, love it

first 2-3 minutes of riding it does hurt, but then it settles in and I am fine

some discomfort at 20-23 miles but I think that is more my rear not being
accustomed to the saddle after not riding for more than two months

riding for the joy of it, not to see how fast I can go

and for those that wonder, for some reason the bib decreases the urge
to pee, instead of going sometimes every hour when at home, i have gonw
2 hours while riding, but when I get home, somehow my body knows and
I have to rush to the toilet

again, very pleased I can do this much after 12 weeks
Stevenl, glad to hear you are doing well and back riding. I'm 64 and I will hit 12 weeks Tuesday July 12. I am still holding at about 75-80 a week for now. I was already riding a split saddle, have been for a number of years. I have had similar results riding, no problem riding and no urge to go while riding. I consider myself fortunate that I have not had any real continence issues.

I have a PET scan tomorrow and then getting my fudicial markers for radiation placed Wednesday morning. Hoping that my PET scan is clear but if not it will enable oncologist to target the necessary area. Plan is to start treatments last week of July or first week August.
Old 08-10-22, 06:46 AM
dav57

Starting my post surgery radiation today, 1 of 37. Just shy of 4 months after surgery. I'm healthy and active, riding regularly, although less miles than usual. I'll try to remember to update every couple of weeks with progress. Let's get this started.
Old 08-10-22, 08:19 PM
xenabr549

Bikes: Brand new 2021 Trek FX 1

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked 9 Times in 7 Posts
Good luck thanks for the updates
Old 08-23-22, 02:38 PM
dav57

First update since starting radiation treatment. I'm officially just over 25% done. So far all good and feeling the tailwind that mr_bill mentioned before on another thread. Riding is going good, actually have had my best weekly total miles that past 3 weeks. Concentrating more on steady ride and HR in zone2-3 rather than speed or milage. Next looking forward to Labor Day weekend which will get me to 50%. Then a 3 day break before the last 4 weeks.
Likes For dav57: