Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Central CT and MA - wanna play hookie?

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Search this Thread

Old 09-19-18, 04:54 AM
Prowler 

Bikes: 2 Trek Mtn, Cannondale R600 road, 6 vintage road bikes

Mentioned: 83 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 472 Post(s)
Liked 1,028 Times in 404 Posts

Open invitation to join on a Friday ride soon. I'm planning a road trip thru New England which includes the Farmington Canal Trail on Friday, October 5th. I plan to drive up early Friday morning and park in Farmington at the lot just off Red Oak Hill Road at New Britain Ave. I should be ready to push off, northbound, around 10:30 to 11:00am. I'm packing a wee lunch so will find a charming spot about an hour north to waste time eating that. I'll then either continue north for a while before turning or just turn there. Donno yet. Probably 40 to 50 miles total.

Anyone that wants to join should send a PM and we'll coordinate details. This is all weather dependent but as long as its not pouring rain I'll probably hold to this Plan A.

Old 09-19-18, 08:09 AM
RobbieTunes
Banned.

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 378 Post(s)
Liked 1,409 Times in 909 Posts
I am so glad I live far away. I'd be in trouble.
Old 09-19-18, 10:03 AM
Sir_Name 

Bikes: are fun!

Mentioned: 66 Post(s)
Quoted: 466 Post(s)
Liked 863 Times in 272 Posts
Hmmm... I think I feel a cold coming on...

I’ll check my work schedule and see if I’m needed that day. If not, I’m game!
Old 09-19-18, 05:41 PM
plonz 

Mentioned: 45 Post(s)
Quoted: 656 Post(s)
Liked 469 Times in 302 Posts
I just may be able to come out and play. I won’t really know until middle of that week. Marking it on my calendar for now.
Old 09-20-18, 04:47 AM
Prowler 

Originally Posted by Sir_Name
Hmmm... I think I feel a cold coming on...

I’ll check my work schedule and see if I’m needed that day. If not, I’m game!
You are needed - on the Farmington Canal Trail. And, frankly, from here you do look a bit 'green behind the gills'. Must be a cold...........
Old 09-20-18, 04:50 AM
Prowler 

Originally Posted by plonz
I just may be able to come out and play. I won’t really know until middle of that week. Marking it on my calendar for now.
Great. You're one of those I thought about here. Out there in the hinterlands with no C&V events. I also thought of you when I was in Westfield earlier this year. See you soon.
Old 09-20-18, 01:22 PM
rickrob 

Bikes: 75 Raleigh Gran Sport, 88 Bridgestone RB3, 72 Raleigh Super Course, 75 Jeunet 620, 95 Fuji Team

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 80 Post(s)
Liked 21 Times in 12 Posts
I might be up for a ride-- Looks like a nice trail. I could probably get the day off. The start point in Farmington is a 90 minute drive for me.
Old 09-30-18, 12:03 PM
Prowler 

Originally Posted by Prowler
Open invitation to join on a Friday ride soon. I'm planning a road trip thru New England which includes the Farmington Canal Trail on Friday, October 5th. I plan to drive up early Friday morning and park in Farmington at the lot just off Red Oak Hill Road at New Britain Ave. I should be ready to push off, northbound, around 10:30 to 11:00am. I'm packing a wee lunch so will find a charming spot about an hour north to waste time eating that. I'll then either continue north for a while before turning or just turn there. Donno yet. Probably 40 to 50 miles total.

Anyone that wants to join should send a PM and we'll coordinate details. This is all weather dependent but as long as its not pouring rain I'll probably hold to this Plan A.
Wow, given the rainy season we've had I've been pretty pessimistic about good weather for Oct 5th, but its looking like it will be GREAT. Perfect autumn day thru the forest. I'm still on Plan A, as described above. I recently did a similar ride down the Schuylkill River Trail which was 57 miles at an overall average of 13mph. I'll probably do about that on this ride to. No faster. I'll also probably ride all the way to Westfield then back as I have all day (lodging just down the road in Plainville). However anyone who does not want to do that much mileage can just turn when they like and back to the cars. This trail is well marked so it's hard to get lost. We'll crank out miles, take breaks, kick lies and tell tires. I know there are places to top off the water bottles along the trail and places to buy things as needed.

They'll be just fine without you at your job. Given the rainy season we've had this year - you need a day like this. You've waited for it since April!

We'll swap a few phone numbers via PMs and email so we can keep in touch. I'm leaving real early Friday morning but I have metropolitan NYC to get thru or around. I'll also have to deal with 'Buryville' (Danbury aint so bad but Waterbury's been under construction for 30 years straight). I'll phone someone if it looks like I'm badly stuck.
Old 10-01-18, 04:33 AM
plonz 

I should know for sure by end of day tomorrow. Looking promising though and the forecast looks even more promising.

Is there a roll calll yet?

Also, at the expense of sounding like a wimp, do you know what the elevation is like on the route? I’m tempted to air up the Olmo but it bears no semblance of a climbing gear.
Old 10-01-18, 12:06 PM
CT Sean

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I should know for sure by end of day tomorrow. Looking promising though and the forecast looks even more promising.

Is there a roll calll yet?

Also, at the expense of sounding like a wimp, do you know what the elevation is like on the route? I’m tempted to air up the Olmo but it bears no semblance of a climbing gear.
Farmington canal trail is pretty flat. This should give you the elevation profile over on the left. - i can't get the link to work how I want - if you open it and change it to Bike, it will give the elevation

Last edited by CT Sean; 10-01-18 at 12:08 PM. Reason: map didn't work right
Old 10-01-18, 12:26 PM
rickrob 

Bikes: 75 Raleigh Gran Sport, 88 Bridgestone RB3, 72 Raleigh Super Course, 75 Jeunet 620, 95 Fuji Team

Old 10-01-18, 01:39 PM
Homebrew01
Super Moderator

Bikes: Old Steelies I made, Old Cannondales

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 1173 Post(s)
Liked 927 Times in 612 Posts
Hmmmmmmm....Maybe.
Are modern drivetrains allowed ?

FYI: https://www.bikeforums.net/forum-sugg...ad-please.html

Last edited by Homebrew01; 10-01-18 at 02:36 PM.
Old 10-01-18, 06:00 PM
Prowler 

a). Yup, pretty flat. It must go uppa and downa but I didn't notice, last time. I'm bringing the Crescent with 700x23 ties. This is the bike is used back in the spring and it was REAL comfortable the whole way. Bring the Olmo. Bring the SuperCourse.

b) Sure bring your modern drivetrain. My Crescent has several classic upgrades - just what folks would have done BITD. Gliding thru the forest on excellent pavement on C&V steel. Hard to beat.
Old 10-02-18, 02:21 PM
Homebrew01
Super Moderator

Bikes: Old Steelies I made, Old Cannondales

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 1173 Post(s)
Liked 927 Times in 612 Posts
I can't skip work Friday ....Oh well ... have fun !

FYI: https://www.bikeforums.net/forum-sugg...ad-please.html
Old 10-03-18, 04:45 AM
plonz 

It’s official... I’m in
Old 10-03-18, 10:38 AM
Prowler 

It’s official... I’m in
GREAT! Please send me your cell number via PM. A fine day to be had by all.
Old 10-03-18, 10:54 AM
rickrob 

It’s official... I’m in
I'll be there too. The weather still looks great.
Old 10-03-18, 12:54 PM
Sir_Name 

It’s official... I’m in

GREAT! Please send me your cell number via PM. A fine day to be had by all.
Originally Posted by rickrob
I'll be there too. The weather still looks great.
I’m in as well. I’ll pm my cell number. Looking forward to it!
Old 10-06-18, 11:34 AM
rickrob 

It was a great day on the Farmington Canal Trail yesterday. Rode about 62 miles with @Prowler, @plonz, @Sir_Name and Frog. Great weather, good conversation and some really cool bikes too.

Last edited by rickrob; 10-06-18 at 01:35 PM.
Old 10-06-18, 03:43 PM
plonz 

It was a lot of fun guys! And I’m still amazed at how Frog made it 62 miles on his 1940s Westfield. Very cool bike but just looking at those funky bars makes my back hurt. Good times.
Old 10-07-18, 08:24 AM
Sir_Name 

Great meeting, riding and chatting with you guys @plonz, @rickrob, @Frog. @Prowler, a pleasure as always.

Until next time.

It looks like Rick and I took the same pics of our bikes lined up on the Simsbury Flower Bridge:

My Raleigh:

Frog's Westfield:

rickrob's Bridgestone:

plonz's Olmo:

Prowler's Crescent:

A crooked pic of the trail map:

Riding shots:

Old 10-08-18, 03:45 PM
rickrob 

Tobacco barns in Suffield, CT

End of the line-- Westfield, MA

Old 10-08-18, 06:36 PM
Prowler 

It was an excellent day - clear, sunny, cool and no wind. The trail sweeps thru forest most of the time and that forest was starting to turn to those legendary NE autumn colors. Dry leaves on the trail, harvested fields here and there, end of season tobacco farms and nurseries. Great sight seeing. It was great riding with SirName, RickRob, Plonz and Frog. Great guys and strong cyclists.

However, after a great 55 miles, with just 5 miles to go, the tension spring on my Cyclone RD gave up the ghost. We rigged the Crescent as a SS and completed the trip. I considered shopping for a replacement RD at FFD the next day as I had planned to drive on out to Cape Cod to ride the CCRT with the other C&V forum cats. But I mentioned my poor old Crescent to our jimmuller who immediately offered up a loaner for the day. On Sunday morning he rolled out his Peugeot (Vitus 181, Simplex, Mafac, tubies, etc) with a smile and a handshake. I learned several years ago that Jim's bikes fit me to a T, no alterations needed. Just hop on and go. Lemons to lemonade!!

Back to the Farmington Canal Trail. Many thanks to SirName who carried a multi tool with a chain breaker. To convert the Crescent to SS we removed 4 links and re-closed the chain with the MissingLink. I then removed the DO adjuster screws to gain enough DO slot to tighten the chain so it would ride. It dropped to the next higher cog one time as I coasted over some frost heaves. Lesson Learned: Keep some tension on the chain all the time, don't coast. The trouble did not repeat.

Now Monday evening and that RD is fixed already. As expected, after only 40 years of service to the cause the tap on the tension spring that engages the RD body had broken. Just like the one on my Nishiki International. I have now removed the spring and carefully and slowly bend a new tap which (as on the Nishiki RD I repaired 5 years ago) should last more years than I'll need. I've taken the occasion to do a complete clean and lube so will reassemble tomorrow and the Crescent will set off into the wild again.

Thanks Gentlemen for making this ride so memorable. I look forward to doing it again, maybe even with a larger mob than on this past Friday.

Last edited by Prowler; 10-08-18 at 06:57 PM.
Old 03-31-19, 08:54 PM
UniChris

Bikes: 36" Unicycle, winter knock-around hybrid bike

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 930 Post(s)
Liked 393 Times in 282 Posts
Gliding thru the forest on excellent pavement on C&V steel. Hard to beat.
It dropped to the next higher cog one time as I coasted over some frost heaves.
Really enjoyed reading your account of this ride on what sounds like a great trail - sorry to hear about the equipment failure but glad it worked out.

At the risk of a momentary diversion from the C&V topic, do you have a recollection of how frequent things like frost heaves are on it? I'm thinking of taking the train up to New Haven sometime this summer to ride it, and debating between bringing the setup that's easier to ride for miles on end when conditions are great, or the one that better handles the bad pavement that characterizes many sections of the rail trails in Westchester NY...
Old 04-01-19, 04:21 AM
Prowler 

Funny you should revive this thread. Imma tinkin of doing this ride again around the 18th - play hookie again. Twice now I've ridden this on my 1974 Crescent with 700x23 tires and have been real happy. Yes there a few frost heaves/root heaves but not many. I think it's a very nice trail and you'd expect some bumps over any trail 34 miles long. I've also ridden there on my '87 Voyageur with 27 X1 1/4 (31mm width) tires and greatly enjoyed that too. On that ride last fall we had a member on his Olmo - 700 x 23 tires too. Loved it.

Bring the great "miles on end" bike. I may bring the Crescent again this month. You know - "get back on that horse and ride". Don't you think the Crescent wants to show that trail who's boss?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.