Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Electronics, Lighting, & Gadgets
Reload this Page >

Helmet mount light questions

Search
Notices
Electronics, Lighting, & Gadgets HRM, GPS, MP3, HID. Whether it's got an acronym or not, here's where you'll find discussions on all sorts of tools, toys and gadgets.

Search this Thread

Old 07-25-22, 12:55 PM
texasdiver

Bikes: Cannondale F2000, Co-Motion Periscope Torpedo, and many more

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Hi guys. I mostly ride with a Ortlieb handlebar bag on my bikes, both my road bike and my e-bike I use for commuting. This means I can't attach a handlebar mount bike light as the bag is in the way. I have seen various work-arounds like elevated bolt-on accessory mounts. Or perhaps installing a light mount on the cantilever bolt holes on the fork or on the fork crown. My e-bike already has a headlight so this would be supplemental. My road bike does not and I mostly need a light in case I get caught away from home on long evening rides.

So I'm thinking of helmet mounting. However none of my helmets have a beam down the center. They all have four spaced structural beams with a gap in the center. This is my current helmet. A Bontrager Starvos. How do you mount a light mount on a helmet like this? Do you mount it off-center on one of the beams? Or do you try to span across two beams and then have the mount sit in the open space between the two which would seem less than secure. I'm just wondering what the correct way to go is here.

https://www.velonews.com/wp-content/....jpg?width=730
Old 07-26-22, 09:00 AM
unionmanbirch

Bikes: Origami Crane 8, 1985 Schwinn Voyageur

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked 14 Times in 6 Posts
My helmet is similar. I use a Niterider light and the helmet mount is wide enough to wrap the straps around the 2 center beams and hold securely.
Old 07-27-22, 01:00 AM
znomit
Zoom zoom zoom zoom bonk

Bikes: Giant Defy, Trek 1.7c, BMC GF02, Fuji Tahoe, Scott Sub 35, Kona Rove, Trek Verve+2

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 551 Post(s)
Liked 722 Times in 366 Posts
Zebralight holder with zip ties either side.
https://www.zebralight.com/GITD-glow...H60x_p_76.html