Search
Notices
Electronics, Lighting, & Gadgets HRM, GPS, MP3, HID. Whether it's got an acronym or not, here's where you'll find discussions on all sorts of tools, toys and gadgets.

Garmin ckmputer id?

Search this Thread

Old 08-16-22, 12:05 PM
pepperbelly
old newbie

Bikes: Specialized Roubaix

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 531 Post(s)
Liked 351 Times in 177 Posts
Garmin computer id?

A friend gave us a used Cannondale Synapse. I am not sure exactly how old it is-maybe 20years? It had belonged to his wife until she passed away.
It had s Garmin computer on it provably from when he bought it. Unfortunately the computer was misplaced.
The mount is Garmin and it has sensors on the wheel for speed and a sensor for cadence.
Is there any way to figure out what computer was on it so I can replace it? Like something specific on the sensors?

Last edited by pepperbelly; 08-16-22 at 12:19 PM.
Old 08-16-22, 12:14 PM
njkayaker

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 4244 Post(s)
Liked 1,348 Times in 935 Posts
Originally Posted by pepperbelly
A friend gave us a used Cannondale Synapse. I am not sure exactly how old it is-maybe 20years? It had belonged to his wife until she passed away.
It had s Garmin computer on it provably from when he bought it. Unfortunately the computer was misplaced.
The mount is Garmin and it has sensors on the wheel for speed and a sensor for cadence.
Is there any way to figure out what computer was on it so I can replace it? Like something specific on the sensors?
Any Garmin Edge model will work.

The sensors use ANT+, which means they will work with any computer that supports ANT+. Not just Garmin makes these (Wahoo is one company).

The sensors are relatively cheap. $70 for the newest cadence/speed set.

https://www.garmin.com/en-US/c/sensors/?currentPage=2

Last edited by njkayaker; 08-16-22 at 12:20 PM.
Likes For njkayaker:
Old 08-16-22, 12:18 PM
pepperbelly
old newbie

Bikes: Specialized Roubaix

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 531 Post(s)
Liked 351 Times in 177 Posts
Thanks
Old 08-16-22, 12:22 PM
njkayaker

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 4244 Post(s)
Liked 1,348 Times in 935 Posts
Originally Posted by pepperbelly
Thanks
Spend some time figuring out what you want in a computer and how much you want to spend. The sensors are not that expensive, which means you might not want that to drive the computer you choose.
Old 08-16-22, 12:57 PM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

Bikes: Tarmac Disc Comp Di2 - 2020

Mentioned: 51 Post(s)
Quoted: 6177 Post(s)
Liked 4,794 Times in 3,306 Posts
If it's old, then the batteries might need to be replaced on the sensors. And if a GSC-10 speed/cadence sensor that uses magnets, then the alignment of the magnets checked or even if the magnets are still on the crank and wheel.

Garmin is good about having all the manuals available online for all it's products. Some are download .pdf only. Usually the older devices.