Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

What year did Campagnolo become Shimano?

Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

What year did Campagnolo become Shimano?

Old 01-08-23, 07:53 PM
icemilkcoffee 

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1557 Post(s)
Liked 1,731 Times in 971 Posts
Originally Posted by Kontact
I haven't found Campy aesthetically pleasing since the demise of the C-Record stuff around 1993. Clean, sharp edges and high polish disappeared that were the hallmark of what almost everyone agrees were the most beautiful components ever made. I haven't bought any Campagnolo stuff since.
Campy groupsets still looked good as recently as the early 10 speed:

After this they started to lose the plot and went down the path of Brutalism with UltraTorque cranksets

As for wheels, they lost the plot when they came up with these triplet spoke patterns where the front and rear wheels don't even match
Likes For icemilkcoffee:
Old 01-08-23, 08:27 PM
mschwett 

Bikes: addict, aethos, creo, vanmoof, sirrus, public ...

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 1272 Post(s)
Liked 1,382 Times in 707 Posts
Originally Posted by Shadco
Better?
interesting set of hobbies, rc copters, guitar, the whole earth catalog (and obviously audio)

Last edited by mschwett; 01-08-23 at 08:43 PM.
Old 01-08-23, 08:35 PM
Polaris OBark
ignominious poltroon

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 2220 Post(s)
Liked 3,400 Times in 1,774 Posts
Those speakers and Mcintosh amp/pre look great, but those lamps and that sculpture thing have got to go (or at least move them off the speakers).
Old 01-08-23, 09:26 PM
kommisar

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 69 Post(s)
Liked 65 Times in 33 Posts
When did shimano become sram?
Old 01-08-23, 11:25 PM
seypat

Mentioned: 69 Post(s)
Quoted: 3233 Post(s)
Liked 2,511 Times in 1,510 Posts
Originally Posted by majmt
There's no denying the beauty of the classic groups but could it be that they've just adapted the aesthetics of the modern components to blend with modern bike frame design and materials?
This could be the right answer. Still, the new stuff is fugly. Not shiny, either.
Old 01-09-23, 03:25 AM
jgwilliams

Bikes: Dolan Tuono 105 Di2, custom built 653 and 531 bikes with frames by Barry Witcomb, Sonder Dial XT mountain bike and a Brompton folding bike.

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 298 Post(s)
Liked 141 Times in 100 Posts
I'm with the OP in thinking that aesthetics are important. I hate the design of the Ultegra crank. That, along with the fact that I wasn't comfortable with brake levers moving in two planes pushed me towards SRAM on my road bike. I used to be a Campagnolo man myself back in the late nineties; those cranks looked more organic than manufactured.
Old 01-09-23, 04:03 AM
mtbikerjohn 

Bikes: a few..

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 82 Post(s)
Liked 146 Times in 95 Posts
Originally Posted by Shadco
Better?

The Whole Earth Catalog! The stereo equipment is sweet too...John
Likes For mtbikerjohn:
Old 01-09-23, 04:06 AM
mtbikerjohn 

Bikes: a few..

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 82 Post(s)
Liked 146 Times in 95 Posts
Originally Posted by mtbikerjohn
The Whole Earth Catalog! The stereo equipment is sweet too...John
Just notice the Les Paul hiding in the corner..looks like flame maple top?
Old 01-09-23, 06:38 AM
Sy Reene
Advocatus Diaboli

Bikes: Merlin Cyrene, Nashbar steel CX

Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4729 Post(s)
Liked 1,530 Times in 1,001 Posts
Originally Posted by icemilkcoffee

After this they started to lose the plot and went down the path of Brutalism with UltraTorque cranksets

As for wheels, they lost the plot when they came up with these triplet spoke patterns where the front and rear wheels don't even match
There was the 11s Athena silver group, which was maybe the last of the classic looking Campy.

Likes For Sy Reene:
Old 01-09-23, 07:11 AM
seypat

The exact year would be 2014 when they came out with this 4-arm crankset to copy Shimano:
I don't think they were copying Shimano here. Shimano wasn't the original, either. Cheap box/department store bikes have had 4 armed swagged cranks that looked like this since before 2000.
Old 01-09-23, 07:49 AM
Trakhak

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 2468 Post(s)
Liked 2,943 Times in 1,671 Posts
Like everyone else in this thread, I wish Shimano had killed off Campagnolo at the same time that they obliterated Suntour. Shame on them for attempting to adapt for survival!
Old 01-09-23, 08:07 AM
Kontact 

Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Quoted: 4330 Post(s)
Liked 1,515 Times in 988 Posts

Looks like a melted bar of soap that doesn't even match the finish or contours of its chainrings. Previous cranks had sharp, pro edges. So did DA 7400. This just looks like:

Old 01-09-23, 08:07 AM
seypat

Originally Posted by Trakhak
Like everyone else in this thread, I wish Shimano had killed off Campagnolo at the same time that they obliterated Suntour. Shame on them for attempting to adapt for survival!
I don't know if that's everyone's opinion. They did make the Centeron G pulley. Once the Suntour patent on the slant parallelogram RD expired, Shimano refined it and the rest is history.

Last edited by seypat; 01-09-23 at 02:41 PM.
Likes For seypat:
Old 01-09-23, 10:42 AM
Reflector Guy

Bikes: Bianchi Infinito XE, Via Nirone 7, GT Aggressor Pro

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 599 Post(s)
Liked 1,271 Times in 588 Posts
Originally Posted by mschwett
interesting set of hobbies, rc copters, guitar, the whole earth catalog (and obviously audio)
LOL I thought those were miniature snowmobiles! Possibly RC even. I couldn't imagine where he'd be able to use them in NC.
Old 01-09-23, 12:58 PM
DangerousDanR

Bikes: Time Scylon, Lynskey R350, Ritchey Breakaway, Ritchey Double Switchback, Lynskey Ridgeline, ICAN Fatbike

Quoted: 463 Post(s)
Liked 546 Times in 306 Posts
The exact year would be 2014 when they came out with this 4-arm crankset to copy Shimano:
That looks a lot like my Magic Starfish crank from 1987, and they are both wonderful. I know, the Starfish has 5 arms and it is made of aluminum.

My modern Campagnolo cranks are all from the 5 arm era, but they are carbon fiber and they also look like the new 4 arm cranks.

I went with Campagnolo because I find them intuitive, unlike brake levers that wobble or two clicks to shift down...

As a post script: Shimano are alloy, Campagnolo are carbon. The Hirth joint? Shimano copy? You are kidding?
Old 01-09-23, 02:39 PM
stan01

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 6 Posts
Shadco, Is that a Rega & a Sota??? And yes, please loose the lamp & figurines/vase.
Old 01-09-23, 02:46 PM
amazinmets73

Quoted: 169 Post(s)
Liked 25 Times in 19 Posts
Originally Posted by skidder
Did you try riding the newer bicycle and see if there's a functional difference or feel that would improve rideability versus just making a judgement based on aesthetic appearance? Frankly, I'm quite satisfied with Shimano's Tiagra level components on my bicycles. Once adjusted they shift crisply & cleanly with no problems. I can't feel any difference between Tiagra and 105, and I don't see a need for Campagnolo components with their higher price point since the Shimano stuff works well. The best upgrade I've found to improve drivetrain performance when using decent components is good quality cables.
Tiagra is more than 99% of cyclists need, maybe even higher.
Likes For amazinmets73:
Old 01-09-23, 02:52 PM
Shadco 
Resident PIA

Bikes: Gunnar Roadie, Look 765 Optimum, Spesh Aethos

Quoted: 211 Post(s)
Liked 355 Times in 185 Posts
Originally Posted by stan01
Shadco, Is that a Rega & a Sota??? And yes, please loose the lamp & figurines/vase.
The one on the left was a Pro-Ject debut carbon since given to my dotter and replaced with a Thorens TD124, the one on the right is a VPI HW19.

Vase is gone lamps have been replaced with cooler ones, I need light on that side of the Mancave.

I don't know where I am now...
05 Gunnar Roadie Chorus/Record
67'er
Old 01-09-23, 03:25 PM
icemilkcoffee 

Quoted: 1557 Post(s)
Liked 1,731 Times in 971 Posts
Originally Posted by DangerousDanR
That looks a lot like my Magic Starfish crank from 1987, and they are both wonderful. I know, the Starfish has 5 arms and it is made of aluminum.
OK. But the starfish was made by Mavic, not Campy

I went with Campagnolo because I find them intuitive, unlike brake levers that wobble or two clicks to shift down...
Huh? Campy front derailleur is exactly as you said- two clicks to shift.

As a post script: Shimano are alloy, Campagnolo are carbon. The Hirth joint? Shimano copy? You are kidding?
Shimano's Hollowtech II was and is the more elegant solution that solves the problem without undue complexity. Campy's Hirth joint solution came later, and is more expensive and complex without any notable improvement.
Old 01-09-23, 03:54 PM
drlogik 

Bikes: '87-ish Pinarello Montello; '89 Nishiki Ariel; '85 Raleigh Wyoming, '16 Wabi Special, '16 Wabi Classic, '14 Kona Cinder Cone

Quoted: 699 Post(s)
Liked 405 Times in 251 Posts
Bikes in general have lost the aesthetics from decades ago. Same with automobiles. Every SUV, sedan or pickup shares the same shape as the other brand. Take the logo off the car and it's hard to tell what car it is. Dare I say even BMW's look like some of the Korean imports?

Same with bikes. Carbon and aluminum rule as does the industrial clean no nonsense design. Bikes in one group, say carbon, all seem to display the same look. Heck many of the bikes sold today are made in one of two plants (Maxway and Giant). Those companies build bikes for many brands. That's why they all look alike.

Do I miss the flowing lines of old Campy? Yes. Do I like the look of some of the new bikes and components? Yes. I own both and enjoy both. I will tell you this though, my dream bike is not a $10,000 carbon wonderbike. My dream bike is a Colnago Arabesque with a full new old stock (NOS) Campy Super Record group.

This is a bicycle when form is married to function...

I'm not talking racing. I'm talking pure riding enjoyment.

Last edited by drlogik; 01-09-23 at 04:04 PM.
Likes For drlogik:
Old 01-09-23, 06:48 PM
alfaspider

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 3 Posts
nope
Old 01-09-23, 06:59 PM
alfaspider

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 3 Posts
nope..and why would someones age matter?
Old 01-09-23, 07:17 PM
Atlas Shrugged

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 1242 Post(s)
Liked 1,318 Times in 671 Posts
Originally Posted by drlogik
Bikes in general have lost the aesthetics from decades ago. Same with automobiles. Every SUV, sedan or pickup shares the same shape as the other brand. Take the logo off the car and it's hard to tell what car it is. Dare I say even BMW's look like some of the Korean imports?

Same with bikes. Carbon and aluminum rule as does the industrial clean no nonsense design. Bikes in one group, say carbon, all seem to display the same look. Heck many of the bikes sold today are made in one of two plants (Maxway and Giant). Those companies build bikes for many brands. That's why they all look alike.

Do I miss the flowing lines of old Campy? Yes. Do I like the look of some of the new bikes and components? Yes. I own both and enjoy both. I will tell you this though, my dream bike is not a $10,000 carbon wonderbike. My dream bike is a Colnago Arabesque with a full new old stock (NOS) Campy Super Record group.

This is a bicycle when form is married to function...

I'm not talking racing. I'm talking pure riding enjoyment.

There is nothing more generic and monotonous than the semi-mass produced Italian and British top end bicycles from the 70’s to mid 80’s. Columbus or Reynolds lugged construction, Campagnolo record which remained virtually unchanged for decades, low profile tubular aluminium rims, and a name that ends with a vowel. They are still around by the tens of thousands and virtually indistinguishable from each other in both build quality or ride. I get the romantic attachment to an item or product lusted for in your youth but to say the current bikes are generic or dull is unfounded.

Last edited by Atlas Shrugged; 01-09-23 at 07:50 PM.
Likes For Atlas Shrugged:
Old 01-09-23, 07:41 PM
drlogik 

Bikes: '87-ish Pinarello Montello; '89 Nishiki Ariel; '85 Raleigh Wyoming, '16 Wabi Special, '16 Wabi Classic, '14 Kona Cinder Cone

Quoted: 699 Post(s)
Liked 405 Times in 251 Posts
Sometimes the BS gets so thick it just needs to be called out.
Thank you for the positive feedback.
Old 01-09-23, 07:44 PM
DangerousDanR

Bikes: Time Scylon, Lynskey R350, Ritchey Breakaway, Ritchey Double Switchback, Lynskey Ridgeline, ICAN Fatbike

Quoted: 463 Post(s)
Liked 546 Times in 306 Posts
OK. But the starfish was made by Mavic, not Campy

Huh? Campy front derailleur is exactly as you said- two clicks to shift.

Shimano's Hollowtech II was and is the more elegant solution that solves the problem without undue complexity. Campy's Hirth joint solution came later, and is more expensive and complex without any notable improvement.
1) Yes. The Starfish was made by Mavic, but the Campagnolo 4 arm cranks look a lot like it. And mine was made in 1989...

2) No. My primary bike Campagnolo is EPS, so front or rear, big lever to move to a bigger sprocket, small lever to move to a smaller sprocket. Even I can remember that. And on the mechanical front derailleur, the two clicks are to trim the derailleur position, not one for up, two for down.

3) Hollowtech cranks NEVER fail at the bonded joint...My 5 arm crank from around 2011 has the Hirth Joint and it works, and it allows me to preload the bearings by shimming the bottom bracket cups. It is in no way shape or form a "copy" of the Shimano crank. And I like the way it looks; no clamp at the spindle.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.