Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Advocacy & Safety
Reload this Page >

Hate towards cyclists

Notices
Advocacy & Safety Cyclists should expect and demand safe accommodation on every public road, just as do all other users. Discuss your bicycle advocacy and safety concerns here.

Hate towards cyclists

Old 11-15-22, 01:11 PM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Giant OCR A1; SOMA Double Cross Disc; 2022 Allez Elite mit der SRAM

Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8186 Post(s)
Liked 9,094 Times in 5,053 Posts
Originally Posted by rydabent
This unfortunately is the product of the ME generation that dont think of other people's rights.

Nuh-uh.
Old 11-15-22, 01:21 PM
Chuck Naill

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 408 Post(s)
Liked 184 Times in 120 Posts
I wasn't aware that a generation didn't care about other people's rights. Were you referring to Thomas Jefferson?
Old 11-15-22, 05:50 PM
jon c. 

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 1591 Post(s)
Liked 1,015 Times in 570 Posts
I'm not sure what generation is even being referenced. It's hard to keep track.

But I don't think road cyclists have changed much in the last 50 years.
Old 11-16-22, 08:06 AM
base2 
I am potato.

Bikes: Only precision built, custom high performance elitist machines of the highest caliber. 🍆

Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Quoted: 1764 Post(s)
Liked 1,577 Times in 910 Posts
This unfortunately is the product of the ME generation that dont think of other people's rights.
Ok, Boomer.

Car dependency is a tax.
Old 11-20-22, 03:20 PM
georges1
Steel is real

Bikes: 1992Giant Tourer,1992MeridaAlbon,1996Scapin,1998KonaKilaueua,1993Peugeot Prestige,1991RaleighTeamZ(to be upgraded),1998 Jamis Dragon,1992CTWallis(to be built),1998VettaTeam(to be built),1995Coppi(to be built),1993Grandis(to be built)

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 624 Post(s)
Liked 897 Times in 585 Posts
It isn't better in Paris where some drivers are absolutely disrespectful and insane.
Old 11-20-22, 06:51 PM
JW Fas
Cop Magnet

Quoted: 240 Post(s)
Liked 274 Times in 128 Posts
Originally Posted by georges1
It isn't better in Paris where some drivers are absolutely disrespectful and insane.
French gonna French.
Old 11-20-22, 07:54 PM
Oldairhead 
RUSA #3100

Bikes: Yes

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 234 Post(s)
Liked 486 Times in 178 Posts
This unfortunately is the product of the ME generation that don't think of other people's rights.
There is more than enough hate to go around and no generation is innocent.

Cager, Bubba, Fred, etc. You all know you've used them too don't act too innocent!
Old 01-14-23, 08:48 PM
greatscott

Bikes: 1984 Fuji Club, Suntour ARX; 2013 Lynskey Peloton, mostly 105 with Ultegra rear derailleur, Enve 2.0 fork; 2020 Masi Giramondo 700c, full Deore with TRP dual piston mech disk brakes

Quoted: 324 Post(s)
Liked 81 Times in 71 Posts
There are reason that I see going on in our society. First off, (EDIT: blah blah blah blah blah) But just hate in general is increasing in giant leaps. People getting so mad they want to start a fight over the stupidest stuff, like just because a person took 5 seconds to long to go through a doorway. It's like the human race is going insane, but the question is why?

The other reason I won't get into, it will just piss a bunch of you off.

Last edited by Siu Blue Wind; 01-14-23 at 11:27 PM. Reason: taking out political content :)
Likes For greatscott:
Old 01-14-23, 09:15 PM
jon c. 

Quoted: 1591 Post(s)
Liked 1,015 Times in 570 Posts
Originally Posted by greatscott
First off, hate is on a huge increase all over the world,
It seems that way, but it may be simply that we've developed technology that amplifies the hate. The basic level may be the same but it's a lot louder now,
Likes For jon c.:
Old 01-15-23, 12:05 PM
Paul Barnard
For The Fun of It

Bikes: Lynskey GR300, Lynskey Backroad, Litespeed T6, Lynskey MT29, Burley Duet

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 2131 Post(s)
Liked 1,639 Times in 822 Posts
Originally Posted by greatscott
There are reason that I see going on in our society. First off, (EDIT: blah blah blah blah blah) But just hate in general is increasing in giant leaps. People getting so mad they want to start a fight over the stupidest stuff, like just because a person took 5 seconds to long to go through a doorway. It's like the human race is going insane, but the question is why?

The other reason I won't get into, it will just piss a bunch of you off.
Why? Most of us, to one degree or another are a product of and influenced by what surrounds us and what we are exposed to. We are exposed to a constant stream of negativity and divisiveness.

Watch the news, any news, it is chock full of bad news, controversy and conflict. We also live in a society where everyone is a damn victim of some sort. I love the TV show The Voice. It's a great talent competition. I don't think they have ever had a performer on there who didn't highlight their trauma. I don't watch much pro sports. No pro football. It was impossible not to be exposed to the Bills player who had a heart attach on the field. I thought it was a thing of beauty how that served as a unifying influence in our divided society.

Watch the presidential debates or any other political debate. Everyone is waiting for their party to launch a powerful knockout punch. Here's an idea. Why not instead of a debate, let's watch them come to some sort of mutual agreement or solution on an issue on which they disagree.

We aren't taught and don't value real tolerance and understanding. We aren't taught and don't value conflict resolution. Watch the threads here. Few, very few, members show any real desire to come to an understanding of those who have a different view of a given topic. The longest running threads are those where there is the most conflict or disagreement. Rarely do you see a vigorous back and forth that brings members to a greater understanding of or appreciation for an opposing point of view. Seems everyone is on some form of social media, and social media flourishes on conflict.
Likes For Paul Barnard:
Old 01-15-23, 05:23 PM
Daniel4

Bikes: Sekine 1979 ten speed racer

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 1477 Post(s)
Liked 637 Times in 436 Posts
Try this old idea: If you don't have anything good to say, don't say anything at all.

Yeah, I'm going to get criticized for promoting censorship instead of free speech.
Likes For Daniel4:
Old 01-16-23, 10:21 AM
base2 
I am potato.

Bikes: Only precision built, custom high performance elitist machines of the highest caliber. 🍆

Originally Posted by Daniel4
Try this old idea: If you don't have anything good to say, don't say anything at all.

Yeah, I'm going to get criticized for promoting censorship instead of free speech.
Self-censorship is often good manners.

Car dependency is a tax.
Likes For base2:
Old 01-18-23, 02:25 AM
SurferRosa
señor miembro

Bikes: '70s - '80s Campagnolo

Mentioned: 92 Post(s)
Quoted: 3846 Post(s)
Liked 6,437 Times in 3,183 Posts
Originally Posted by base2
Boomer.
Sooner!
Likes For SurferRosa:
Old 01-24-23, 03:51 PM
Century Bob

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 23 Times in 10 Posts
Most drivers are at least courteous in Tucson. But it just takes one to ruin the vibe. So hard to not escalate with the finger, but it cant make things better, only worse.
Likes For Century Bob:
Old 02-02-23, 03:39 PM
greatbasin

Quoted: 198 Post(s)
Liked 84 Times in 65 Posts
Now they're not just running cyclists down with motor vehicles, but they're getting out and stabbing them too.

Old 02-02-23, 04:12 PM
Polaris OBark
ignominious poltroon

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 2184 Post(s)
Liked 3,336 Times in 1,741 Posts
Originally Posted by SurferRosa
Sooner!
Yeah, I think he was the gen previous (modestly referred to as the "Greatest Generation").

I'm one of the earlier X.

Now we have generation wuss.
Likes For Polaris OBark:
Old 02-04-23, 09:13 AM
rydabent
Banned

Bikes: RANS Stratus TerraTrike Tour II

Mentioned: 46 Post(s)
Quoted: 3352 Post(s)
Liked 1,054 Times in 634 Posts
I lay much of this at the door step of todays society. It is absolutely the "ME" generation, and anyone that get in their way should be hated. It is not just cyclist.
Likes For rydabent:
Old 02-04-23, 05:49 PM
holytrousers
hoppipola

Bikes: fausto coppi

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 512 Post(s)
Liked 227 Times in 163 Posts
Maybe it's not that bad. It seems that most agressive reactions come from inexperienced drivers unable to deal with the existing traffic where everyone wants to go faster and overcome them. What happens when they see a vulnerable cyclist is that their inability to deal with all their anxiety and the unexpected situation turns into panic and all the frustration simply overflows.
Old 02-04-23, 05:58 PM
Daniel4

Bikes: Sekine 1979 ten speed racer

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 1477 Post(s)
Liked 637 Times in 436 Posts
Originally Posted by holytrousers
Maybe it's not that bad. It seems that most agressive reactions come from inexperienced drivers unable to deal with the existing traffic where everyone wants to go faster and overcome them. What happens when they see a vulnerable cyclist is that their inability to deal with all their anxiety and the unexpected situation turns into panic and all the frustration simply overflows.
inexperienced drivers= lousy driving schools
Likes For Daniel4:
Old 02-07-23, 08:26 AM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Giant OCR A1; SOMA Double Cross Disc; 2022 Allez Elite mit der SRAM

I lay much of this at the door step of todays society. It is absolutely the "ME" generation, and anyone that get in their way should be hated. It is not just cyclist.

What generation exactly is the ME generation? I'm pretty sure that term was first applied to your generation (boomers), which was an extremely violent one in its youth.

"Old guy straining to make this a generational issue"" is not a good look, and I'm pretty sure you don't have any empirical proof to make these broad generalizations.
Old 02-07-23, 08:30 AM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Originally Posted by holytrousers

The guy got out of his vehicle to beat the cyclist to death with a tire iron. That's not panic, that's just plain malice.
Old 02-07-23, 08:31 AM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Originally Posted by Daniel4
inexperienced drivers= lousy driving schools

I'm pretty sure driving schools will tell you not to get out of your car and beat someone to death with a tire iron.

We're trying desperately to turn a murder story into something it's not.
Old 02-07-23, 08:58 AM
GhostRider62

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 2332 Post(s)
Liked 2,094 Times in 1,311 Posts
How is a murder or attempted murder related to politics or generational differences. Bizarre.

There has always been bad people in the world which of course is the source of this conflict.

I can tell you why motorists hate cyclists where I live. Cyclist break the law. They ride 3 and 4 up when the law requires single file. Motorists get pissed and eventually it sours into hatred. If that hatred goes further, then one must be prepared to defend oneself if possible. I suppose I should have a video camera on my bike but the aesthetics offend me.
Old 02-07-23, 09:36 AM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Originally Posted by GhostRider62
How is a murder or attempted murder related to politics or generational differences. Bizarre.

There has always been bad people in the world which of course is the source of this conflict.

I can tell you why motorists hate cyclists where I live. Cyclist break the law. They ride 3 and 4 up when the law requires single file. Motorists get pissed and eventually it sours into hatred. If that hatred goes further, then one must be prepared to defend oneself if possible. I suppose I should have a video camera on my bike but the aesthetics offend me.

I think it's the other way around because there's absolutely no evidence that cyclists are any less or more law abiding than drivers. Drivers routinely speed, turn or change lanes without signaling, roll through the first seconds of a red light, take rolling stops at stop signs, pass unsafely on the right, etc. People don't remember incidents of this because it's just considered normal. But because drivers see far fewer cyclists and are inclined to hate their presence on the road because it necessitates more care on their part, they vividly remember any time they see a cyclist violate a law, no matter how trivial the offense.
Likes For livedarklions:
Old 02-07-23, 09:56 AM
base2 
I am potato.

Originally Posted by livedarklions
What generation exactly is the ME generation? I'm pretty sure that term was first applied to your generation (boomers), which was an extremely violent one in its youth.

"Old guy straining to make this a generational issue"" is not a good look, and I'm pretty sure you don't have any empirical proof to make these broad generalizations.
I showed him this video in another thread. Evidently there is an inability at self-reflection, too.

The guy from the generation that stole everything for themselves calling others the "ME" generation. That's rich.

Car dependency is a tax.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.