Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Advocacy & Safety
Reload this Page >

Vehicle Signage

Notices
Advocacy & Safety Cyclists should expect and demand safe accommodation on every public road, just as do all other users. Discuss your bicycle advocacy and safety concerns here.

Vehicle Signage

Old 01-12-23, 11:37 AM
Tomm Willians

Bikes: Subject to change at any given moment but currently is...... Colnago Mapei, Colnago C40, Wilier Triestina Carbon, Wilier Triestina Ramato, Follis 472, Peugeot PX60, Razesa, Orbea Terra, Soma Pescadero and 1/2 owner of a Santana tandem.

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 322 Post(s)
Liked 774 Times in 260 Posts
Vehicle Signage

I’m training to do a solo event in a few months where the wife will be following behind in our truck. I’d like to hang a banner on the tailgate warning drivers of what’s going on. What would be the most direct, concise verbiage?
Old 01-12-23, 01:43 PM
epnnf

Bikes: 2016 Masi strada vita due, 2019 Kona Dew Plus

Quoted: 267 Post(s)
Liked 80 Times in 55 Posts
idk, 'slow vehicle ahead'?
Old 01-12-23, 01:59 PM
Troul 

Bikes: RSO E-tire dropper fixie brifter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 2,910 Times in 1,884 Posts
without looking into it, that seems like it would gain a moving violation ticket for the SAG.
Old 01-12-23, 02:16 PM
10 Wheels
Galveston County Texas

Bikes: 02 GTO, 2011 Magnum

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 1346 Post(s)
Liked 1,236 Times in 617 Posts
Some BRIGHT Strobe Lights.

Old 01-12-23, 04:12 PM
FBinNY 

Bikes: too many bikes from 1967 10s (5x2)Frejus to a Sumitomo Ti/Chorus aluminum 10s (10x2), plus one non-susp mtn bike I use as my commuter

Mentioned: 139 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5703 Post(s)
Liked 2,432 Times in 1,345 Posts
Depending on the specific road/traffic details it might be better all the way around if you had your wife stop on the shoulder or a turnout then catch up from time to time, rather than be a continuous traffic obstruction.

Let's be fair, it's not your road for exclusive use, so running a car/truck at bicycle speeds continuously isn't going to make any friends. Plus you create a very specific hazard where a driver behind your wife times out a pass not seeing you ahead. Then may be forced to move back into lane (and you) due to oncoming traffic.

Also be aware that in many states the law is that a slow moving vehicle MUST pull off if 5 (or some other number) of cars accumulate behind. That would mean that your going to be passed by tight clumps of angry, impatient drivers trying to make up for lost time.

An ounce of diagnosis is worth a pound of cure.

Just because I'm tired of arguing, doesn't mean you're right.

“One accurate measurement is worth a thousand expert opinions” - Adm Grace Murray Hopper - USN

WARNING, I'm from New York. Thin skinned people should maintain safe distance.
Old 01-12-23, 04:32 PM
Moe Zhoost
Half way there

Bikes: Many, and the list changes frequently

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 985 Post(s)
Liked 879 Times in 526 Posts
It's best to check the laws in your state regarding slow moving vehicles. In terms of signage, the slow moving vehicle triangle is universal in the US. The more significant danger is that a vehicle passes your wife and then immediately moves over not noticing that you are in front. This possibility can be reduced if 1) your wife is right on your tail, 2) she keeps back maybe 50 yards, or 3) you ride to the rear of the truck. Perhaps you've thought this out already. I'm assuming that your plan is that the following truck is for safety rather than support. Correct?

Old 01-12-23, 05:09 PM
Tomm Willians

Bikes: Subject to change at any given moment but currently is...... Colnago Mapei, Colnago C40, Wilier Triestina Carbon, Wilier Triestina Ramato, Follis 472, Peugeot PX60, Razesa, Orbea Terra, Soma Pescadero and 1/2 owner of a Santana tandem.

To add clarity, our idea is for her to park off the road behind me and then catch up to me hourly. She would search for a section where she is not even on the shoulder but just off of it to park.
And yes this is also a sag vehicle (200 mile ride) but as stated, getting completely off the road is not difficult.

Last edited by Tomm Willians; 01-12-23 at 06:08 PM.
Old 01-12-23, 05:18 PM
FBinNY 

Bikes: too many bikes from 1967 10s (5x2)Frejus to a Sumitomo Ti/Chorus aluminum 10s (10x2), plus one non-susp mtn bike I use as my commuter

Originally Posted by Tomm Willians
To ad clarity, our idea is for her to park off the road behind me and then catch up to me hourly. She would search for a section where she is not even on the shoulder but just off of it to park.
In that case signage on her car wouldn't contribute much.

I suggest bright daylight lighting on your bike, plus whatever else might make you more visible.

Also a reminder that drivers are very prone to underestimating the speed of oncoming bicycles, edpecially fot stronger riders. So be alert to possible left crosses, and drivers entering from the side.

FWIW the vast majority of my open road close calls are from left crosses.

“One accurate measurement is worth a thousand expert opinions” - Adm Grace Murray Hopper - USN

Old 01-12-23, 06:07 PM
Tomm Willians

Originally Posted by FBinNY
In that case signage on her car wouldn't contribute much.

I suggest bright daylight lighting on your bike, plus whatever else might make you more visible.

Also a reminder that drivers are very prone to underestimating the speed of oncoming bicycles, edpecially fot stronger riders. So be alert to possible left crosses, and drivers entering from the side.

FWIW the vast majority of my open road close calls are from left crosses.
Yes I knew whatever markings we used wouldn’t contribute a great deal by doing it this way. I was more concerned that if she followed behind it might cause a more dangerous situation than what we plan on doing. But back to my original question, given the situation of her not being in a clearly viewed location, what type of warning might I give that stands the greatest chance of being seen? Trying to find the best compromise.
Old 01-12-23, 06:15 PM
JW Fas
Cop Magnet

Quoted: 240 Post(s)
Liked 274 Times in 128 Posts
WARNING: EXPLOSIVES ON BOARD

Drivers will give you both a wide berth.
Likes For JW Fas:
Old 01-12-23, 06:36 PM
Tomm Willians

Originally Posted by jw fas
warning: Explosives on board

drivers will give you both a wide berth.
🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣
Old 01-12-23, 06:51 PM
Daniel4

Bikes: Sekine 1979 ten speed racer

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 1477 Post(s)
Liked 637 Times in 436 Posts
Originally Posted by FBinNY

Let's be fair, it's not your road for exclusive use, so running a car/truck at bicycle speeds continuously isn't going to make any friends. Plus you create a very specific hazard where a driver behind your wife times out a pass not seeing you ahead. Then may be forced to move back into lane (and you) due to oncoming traffic...
Terry Fox did it on only one leg. And earned the hearts of all the Canadians across the country.
Old 01-12-23, 07:11 PM
FBinNY 

Given the amount of separation most of the time, I can't see anything that would help.

Drivers have short attention spans, so even if they were inclined to be more attentive for a while, it would wear off before they got to you.

Likes For FBinNY:
Old 01-12-23, 07:30 PM
jadmt

Bikes: Handsome xoxo, Serotta atx, Canyon Endurace CF8

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 900 Post(s)
Liked 1,842 Times in 830 Posts
I have seen plenty of vehicles rolling slow with flashers with a signage that simply says something like "caution cyclist on road ahead"
Old 01-12-23, 07:30 PM
curbtender

Bikes: Miyata 618 GT, Marinoni, Kestral 200 2002 Trek 5200, KHS Flite, Koga Miyata, Schwinn Spitfire 5, Mondia Special, Univega Alpina, Miyata team Ti, Santa Cruz Highball

Mentioned: 52 Post(s)
Quoted: 1589 Post(s)
Liked 2,486 Times in 1,188 Posts
Lone cyclist ahead, pass with caution? You hope that would be a given. I watch riders on highway 1 all the time and they seem to get by without. Goodluck.
Old 01-12-23, 08:21 PM
dedhed
SE Wis

Bikes: '68 Raleigh Sprite, '02 Raleigh C500, '84 Raleigh Gran Prix, '91 Trek 400, 2013 Novara Randonee, 1990 Trek 970

Mentioned: 40 Post(s)
Quoted: 2731 Post(s)
Liked 3,361 Times in 2,034 Posts
https://www.farmandfleet.com/product...SABEgI9rvD_BwE
Old 01-13-23, 11:10 AM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

Bikes: Tarmac Disc Comp Di2 - 2020

Mentioned: 50 Post(s)
Quoted: 6100 Post(s)
Liked 4,732 Times in 3,262 Posts
Your wife is a very patient person and all sorts of other saintly good things if she is willing to follow you in a car and not have anything else to do.

Let her go on ahead to the B&B, a lunch stop or just check out other things along the way. You can provide her your location for tracking through various means and many bike computers provide incident detection. So she can check up on you while doing stuff that interests her.
Likes For Iride01:
Old 01-13-23, 02:17 PM
Tomm Willians

Originally Posted by Iride01
Your wife is a very patient person and all sorts of other saintly good things if she is willing to follow you in a car and not have anything else to do.

Let her go on ahead to the B&B, a lunch stop or just check out other things along the way. You can provide her your location for tracking through various means and many bike computers provide incident detection. So she can check up on you while doing stuff that interests her.
It’s reciprocal with us. When she does tri’s I’m moving/ loading her surf ski and bike around between stages.
Old 01-13-23, 06:59 PM
Troul 

Bikes: RSO E-tire dropper fixie brifter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 2,910 Times in 1,884 Posts
"Potholes up ahead!"
Old 01-18-23, 02:19 AM
SurferRosa
señor miembro

Bikes: '70s - '80s Campagnolo

Mentioned: 92 Post(s)
Quoted: 3846 Post(s)
Liked 6,437 Times in 3,183 Posts
"Charity Ride for Jesus and to fight Cancer 2023"
Old 01-31-23, 11:35 AM
jlaw

Bikes: 2015 Spec. AWOL Elite,2022 Spec. Diverge, 1984 Trek 620 1985 Trek 620, 1979 Trek 710

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 394 Post(s)
Liked 194 Times in 110 Posts
Originally Posted by Tomm Willians
I’m training to do a solo event in a few months where the wife will be.....
While your instincts re: your plan are understandable, I have to question the safety issues associated with your wife sitting in a vehicle on the shoulder of a road for 15 to 20 hours while you cycle ahead on your 200 mile quest.

I've worked in bridge and highway construction for more than 30 years and have seen vehicles and equipment - parked on the shoulder - hit from behind many times. All of these incidents occurred in fully signed and lit work zones. State trooper cars parked on the shoulder with full emergency lights have also been hit!!

I agree with others - have her drive ahead and wait in a parking lot.

Get yourself 2 or 3 rear-facing blinkers and a mirror.

I have this Cygolite Hypershot 350 - the brightest rear light I could find - lasts about 5 or 6 hours depending upon setting. https://cygolite.com/product/hypershot-350-usb/

For drop bars, I use this mirror - fairly big surface and stays put mostly. The convex lense takes a little getting used to. https://www.modernbike.com/product-2126215268?TID=394

Good Luck!