Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Cyclone GT v. Superbe Pro

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Search this Thread

Old 06-12-09, 07:45 AM
jebensch

Bikes: Bob Jackson Super Tourer, '83 Trek 700, Gazelle Champ Mondial, Nishiki Comp II, Moto Grand Record, Peugeot UO-10 SS

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts

Who has an opinion on the comparison?

I've been riding my Nishiki Comp II with a Cyclone shifting group on a Campy 8spd cluster (12-25). I've got some Superbe and Superbe Pro derailleurs sitting pretty in my drawer. Would switching from the long cage Cyclone to the short cage Superbe Pro be:

an upgrade?
a downgrade?
negligible?

I tend to just ride with what's working and not always consider subtle improvements, but I'm easily swayed!
Old 06-12-09, 08:05 AM
Ex Pres 
Cat 6

Mentioned: 27 Post(s)
Quoted: 500 Post(s)
Liked 183 Times in 118 Posts
If they were both short cage the Cyclone would probably weigh less. Superbe's are nice and quiet, though. I ran a Pro on a 7s 12-21 and would often look down to see if it really shifted as it was so smooth.
Old 06-12-09, 08:08 AM
gurry

Bikes: 1987 bianchi campione d'italia, 1970's eatons glider, 1990's hybrid, 1992 trek antelope

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
It should be an upgrade, as 25teeth max out back shouldn't be a problem. Here is some info on suntour and nishiki from 1982.

In 1982, the year before mountain bikes became significant, SunTour equipped about 60% of the medium-priced bicycles, compared to Shimano's 30%. SunTour had 13 different lines of derailleurs. From the top they went; Superbe Pro, Superbe, Cyclone Mk II, Cyclone, BL, ARx, Vx, AR, Seven, Volante, Honor, GT, and Mighty Click. Most lines had a racing and a touring model. Vx rear derailleurs came in four different capacities.

1982 Nishiki info: ... SUPERBE - 21 LBS

CONTINENTAL - 22.5 LBS

COMPETITION - 23 LBS

INTERNATIONAL - 24.5 LBS

LANDAU - 24.5 LBS

OLYMPIC - 26.5 LBS

RALLY - 30.5 LBS

According to Sutherland's, the AR "medium cage" can handle up to 28T freewheel, has a maximum total capacity (difference between smallest and largest freewheel cogs plus the difference between smallest and largest chain rings) of 30T, and can accommodate a 16T maximum chainring spread.
Old 06-12-09, 08:24 AM
John E
feros ferio

Bikes: 1959 Capo Modell Campagnolo; 1960 Capo Sieger (2); 1962 Carlton Franco Suisse; 1970 Peugeot UO-8; 1982 Bianchi Campione d'Italia; 1988 Schwinn Project KOM-10;

Mentioned: 44 Post(s)
Quoted: 1392 Post(s)
Liked 1,324 Times in 836 Posts
For a given cage length, I have never noticed much performance difference between Cyclone and Superbe derailleurs -- both are superb performers. However, using the shortest possible cage for your cogset should give you the crispest possible shifting.
Peugeot: 1970 UO-8, S/N 0010468
Bianchi: 1982 Campione d'Italia, S/N 1.M9914
Schwinn: 1988 Project KOM-10, S/N F804069
Likes For John E:
Old 06-12-09, 09:09 AM
wrk101
Thrifty Bill

Bikes: 86 Katakura Silk, 87 Prologue X2, 88 Cimarron LE, 1975 Sekai 4000 Professional, 73 Paramount, plus more

Mentioned: 96 Post(s)
Quoted: 1236 Post(s)
Liked 964 Times in 628 Posts
Slight upgrade, but if the rest of the components are Cyclone, I would stick with that to keep a "matched" group. Cyclone is a pretty good grade anyway.
Old 06-12-09, 09:25 AM
jebensch

Bikes: Bob Jackson Super Tourer, '83 Trek 700, Gazelle Champ Mondial, Nishiki Comp II, Moto Grand Record, Peugeot UO-10 SS

Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
Yeah, I hear ya on the matching compulsion. Thing is, I've already broken that up with a Superbe brakeset. I love their design, so I couldn't resist. The crankset is a Sugino Super Mighty drillium, that has red enamel in the channels, so it's all kind of mixed, outside of being Japanese. Then the wheels throw that off because I've got nice Campy there.

I suppose I'm most curious to check out the functioning difference between the cage lengths. Seems worth the experiment if not for that alone.

The silent and stealthy shifting endorsement is also very enticing!
Likes For jebensch:
Old 06-12-09, 09:34 AM
dannyg1 

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 5 Posts
Originally Posted by gurry
From the top they went; Superbe Pro, Superbe, Cyclone Mk II, Cyclone, BL, ARx, Vx, AR, Seven, Volante, Honor, GT, and Mighty Click.
When were the Sprint and GPX lines introduced and where do they fit in the hierarchy?
Old 06-12-09, 10:20 AM
afilado

Bikes: '93 Bridgestone RB-1, '91 Specialized Allez Epic, '85 Raleigh Team Pro, '78 Andre Bertin, early '90s F. Moser Leader AX , '85 Centurion Equipe, '98 Litespeed Tuscany, '89 Klein Quantum, '80 Nishiki Superbe, '83 Peckham, '84 Fuji Opus III

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 9 Posts
https://www.yellowjersey.org/stour89a.html

Originally Posted by dannyg1
When were the Sprint and GPX lines introduced and where do they fit in the hierarchy?
Old 06-12-09, 02:43 PM
Sixty Fiver
Bicycle Repair Man !!!

Bikes: See my sig...

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 67 Post(s)
Liked 129 Times in 96 Posts
Just got a Cyclone Mk2 groupset with a Symetric shifter (that I can't use without an adaptor) and I will be putting new d's on my sister's Centurion to upgrade the existing Suntour 7 group.

Suntour Cyclone 1 and 2 are very nice components... I am looking to replace the 600 Arabesque on my Raleigh with an early Cyclone group as it nearly as ornate and will work much better.
Likes For Sixty Fiver:
Old 06-12-09, 06:19 PM
RobbieTunes
Banned.

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 378 Post(s)
Liked 1,409 Times in 909 Posts
Originally Posted by Sixty Fiver
Just got a Cyclone Mk2 groupset with a Symetric shifter (that I can't use without an adaptor) and I will be putting new d's on my sister's Centurion to upgrade the existing Suntour 7 group.

Suntour Cyclone 1 and 2 are very nice components... I am looking to replace the 600 Arabesque on my Raleigh with an early Cyclone group as it nearly as ornate and will work much better.
Please share your wisdom with custermustache.
Old 06-12-09, 06:59 PM
Sixty Fiver
Bicycle Repair Man !!!

Originally Posted by RobbieTunes
Please share your wisdom with custermustache.
I don't know if this is as much wisdom as it is from having experience with Suntour when it was shiny new equipment on my bikes and because I still work on so many old bikes and can see how well these 80's Suntour parts hold up and how much better they work as compared to their Shimano counterparts.

They really did dominate the mid to upper end markets and it was because their parts were so well made.

There was a time many would have admitted that Suntour outperformed those Italians for a fraction of the cost and this has been cited as one of the reasons for their demise in that they never charged what the parts were really worth.

They could have put a lot more money into R&D and developed a successful indexed system before Shimano as they invented and held the patents on this technology.

I have a great fondness for the old Suntour as some of their parts were simply unmatched in quality... we can see the prices Superbe level parts bring these days as they really did live up to their name.
Likes For Sixty Fiver:
Old 06-12-09, 08:06 PM
afilado

Bikes: '93 Bridgestone RB-1, '91 Specialized Allez Epic, '85 Raleigh Team Pro, '78 Andre Bertin, early '90s F. Moser Leader AX , '85 Centurion Equipe, '98 Litespeed Tuscany, '89 Klein Quantum, '80 Nishiki Superbe, '83 Peckham, '84 Fuji Opus III

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 9 Posts
I saw a 1st gen. Cyclone RD sell for near $100 last week on Ebay! Cyclone and Superbe components are regularly selling for Campy prices.

I have a great fondness for the old Suntour as some of their parts were simply unmatched in quality... we can see the prices Superbe level parts bring these days as they really did live up to their name.[/QUOTE]
Old 06-12-09, 08:29 PM
Sixty Fiver
Bicycle Repair Man !!!

Originally Posted by afilado
I saw a 1st gen. Cyclone RD sell for near $100 last week on Ebay! Cyclone and Superbe components are regularly selling for Campy prices.
Maybe I should just sell all these old Cyclone bits I have kicking around... damn.