Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Test for butted tubes?

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Test for butted tubes?

Search this Thread

Old 03-10-17, 08:54 PM
curbowman

Bikes: Imremo (cheap taiwanese mtb) and vintage Jupiter King (Japanese '70s road bike)

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 73 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 7 Posts
Test for butted tubes?

I always read about double butted tubes on bicycle frames. Is there a way to know if a frame has butted tubes if the original sticker is missing? An X-ray scan seems a little expensive.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
Raleigh05.jpg (50.2 KB, 249 views)
Old 03-10-17, 09:02 PM
wvridgerider

Bikes: Gunnar Crosshairs, Surly Karate Monkey, Specialized Fuze, Bianchi Volpe, too many others and a lot of broken frame

Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Liked 70 Times in 21 Posts
Flick with your fingernail from end to the middle and you should hear the change of sound.
Old 03-10-17, 09:30 PM
joejack951

Bikes: 2016 Hong Fu FM-079-F, 1984 Trek 660, 2005 Iron Horse Warrior Expert, 2009 Pedal Force CX1, 2016 Islabikes Beinn 20 (son's)

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 1242 Post(s)
Liked 94 Times in 65 Posts
You could also weigh it. A butted tubing frame should be considerably lighter than a straight gauge tubing frame. I am sure someone on this forum or the interwebz knows what either butted or straight should weigh give or take a few ounces for a given size.
Old 03-10-17, 11:57 PM
Darth Lefty 
Disco Infiltrator

Bikes: Stormchaser, Paramount, Tilt, Samba tandem

Mentioned: 72 Post(s)
Quoted: 3126 Post(s)
Liked 2,103 Times in 1,367 Posts
If the frame weighs four or five pounds then you're good. Just for example my Paragon (56cm, Ishiwata 024, fairly stout) weighs 5.5 lb with headset cups and a BB installed.

Some mid-grade frames are made only partly of butted tubes, or they are made of straight chromoly that's still thinner than hi-ten. There's a spectrum!
Genesis 49:16-17
Old 03-11-17, 12:22 AM
FBinNY 

Bikes: too many bikes from 1967 10s (5x2)Frejus to a Sumitomo Ti/Chorus aluminum 10s (10x2), plus one non-susp mtn bike I use as my commuter

Mentioned: 140 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5772 Post(s)
Liked 2,563 Times in 1,420 Posts
Actually, there's no reliable way to be sure. Weight may work to separate a good quality frame from one of much lower quality, but things get close near the upper end, and variables like lugs, BB shell or whatever make it hard to distinguish between butted and high quality plain gauge tubing. Also, know that both butted and plain gauge tubes come in various wall thicknesses, further muddying that water.

There are other indicators, that may help, possibly the most significant of which is the seat post size which will tell you the wall thickness of the seat tube.

Otherwise, the best indicator is to know the maker, and what the specs call for.

So, for example, show me what appears to be a high end British or US made steel frame, which takes a 27.2mm seatpost, and I'll very willingly bet a few beers that it's Reynolds 531 or better tubing. Likewise you might see a mark on the steerer if you remove the fork.

BTW - many (most) makers of top end steel tube sets, mark the tubes themselves. One place to find such a mark is at the bottom of the seat tube, a few inches above the bottom bracket. Besides identifying the tubing, the marks also tell builders which end to cut (or not) when cutting tube to size.

An ounce of diagnosis is worth a pound of cure.

Just because I'm tired of arguing, doesn't mean you're right.

“One accurate measurement is worth a thousand expert opinions” - Adm Grace Murray Hopper - USN

WARNING, I'm from New York. Thin skinned people should maintain safe distance.

Last edited by FBinNY; 03-11-17 at 12:28 AM.
Old 03-11-17, 12:32 AM
Sullalto

Bikes: Jamis Quest Comp

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 169 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by FBinNY
Actually, there's no reliable way to be sure.
Sound, if your ear is trained. I'd try it without anything in the frame. No wheels, seatpost, BB, etc if I was really concerned.
Old 03-11-17, 07:30 AM
AlmostTrick
Tortoise Wins by a Hare!

Bikes: Wabi Special FG, Raleigh Roper, Nashbar AL-1, Miyata One Hundred, '70 Schwinn Lemonator and More!!

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 1549 Post(s)
Liked 941 Times in 504 Posts
If you want to know for certain then cut a tube in a few spots and measure.

Seriously, if it were me and the frame fit I'd just ride it and not worry either way.
Old 03-11-17, 08:58 AM
Retro Grouch 

Bikes: Catrike 559 I own some others but they don't get ridden very much.

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1572 Post(s)
Liked 643 Times in 364 Posts
Originally Posted by AlmostTrick
If you want to know for certain then cut a tube in a few spots and measure.

Seriously, if it were me and the frame fit I'd just ride it and not worry either way.
That's what I think too.

I think that we have a tendency to think that if we can identify all of the individual strokes we could create the Mona Lisa.
Old 03-11-17, 03:23 PM
Wileyrat

Bikes: 2015 Ridley Fenix, 1983 Team Fuji, 2019 Marin Nail Trail 6

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 336 Post(s)
Liked 225 Times in 136 Posts
Originally Posted by wvridgerider
Flick with your fingernail from end to the middle and you should hear the change of sound.
This. You will definitely hear a difference.
Old 03-11-17, 06:43 PM
SkyDog75

Bikes: Bianchi San Mateo and a few others

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 634 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 9 Posts
I'll have to try flicking some tubes to test that method/theory. I'm a percussionist, and just knowing the nature of how things sound when you hit them, I wouldn't have expected butting to make much of a difference if the butt is near the end of the tube where it's welded or fitted into a lug.
Likes For SkyDog75:
Old 03-11-17, 08:22 PM
curbowman

Bikes: Imremo (cheap taiwanese mtb) and vintage Jupiter King (Japanese '70s road bike)

Quoted: 73 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 7 Posts
Originally Posted by SkyDog75
I'm a percussionist, and just knowing the nature of how things sound when you hit them, I wouldn't have expected butting to make much of a difference if the butt is near the end of the tube where it's welded or fitted into a lug.
I'm a musician and luthier too. I did the tap test on the bare frame and the pitch didn't change when I hit the tubes near the lugs or the center. What changed was, obviously, the sustain.

It's a cheap '70s bike so I don't think it's made with butted tubes, but I just thought it might be nice to try the test anyway.
Old 03-12-17, 12:21 AM
AlmostTrick
Tortoise Wins by a Hare!

Bikes: Wabi Special FG, Raleigh Roper, Nashbar AL-1, Miyata One Hundred, '70 Schwinn Lemonator and More!!

I own single, double, and even triple butted steel bikes. One thing I've noticed when doing the finger nail tap test is that when you get close to the joint the sound changes no matter how many "butts" you have. I'm not sure how anyone can figure it out based on the sound, but then again I'm not a musician.
Old 03-12-17, 12:31 AM
FBinNY 

Bikes: too many bikes from 1967 10s (5x2)Frejus to a Sumitomo Ti/Chorus aluminum 10s (10x2), plus one non-susp mtn bike I use as my commuter

I own single, double, and even triple butted ......
Isn't marketing wonderful?

Where do you think they put that 3rd butt? Or does that mean that you're the butt of a marketing inside joke?

However, I agree that the so-called ring test is meaningless, especially without a reference sample to compare to, unless one has perfect pitch. But I don't make a point of trying to prove that.

BTW- I already know what marketers mean when they say triple butted, so no explanation is needed here.

“One accurate measurement is worth a thousand expert opinions” - Adm Grace Murray Hopper - USN

Old 03-12-17, 12:45 AM
AlmostTrick
Tortoise Wins by a Hare!

Isn't marketing wonderful?

Where do you think they put that 3rd butt? Or does that mean that you're the butt of a marketing inside joke?

BTW- I already know what marketers mean when they say triple butted, so no explanation is needed here.
I assumed the "3rd butt" is near the center of the length of the tube... as in the tube actually has three different wall thicknesses, but maybe you know something I don't?
Old 03-12-17, 12:52 AM
FBinNY 

I assumed the "3rd butt" is near the center of the length of the tube... as in the tube actually has three different wall thicknesses, but maybe you know something I don't?
Maybe I do, but let's not go there.

A single butted tube, such as is used for the seat tube has one reinforced (buttressed) end.
a double butted tube, used for the top and down tubes, is thicker at both ends (and thinner in the middle).

I believe* that a triple butted tube is analogous to a triple butted spoke, where the two ends are of different thickness. So you have 3 gauges, the thicker end, the not as thick end, and the middle which is thinnest.

But no matter what marketing calls it, you can only buttress 2 ends of a tube. (except in 4 dimensional space, where tubes might have 3 ends)

* I said believe, because while I've described one use of the term I'm familiar with, I have no way of knowing what marketing is up to these days.

Last edited by FBinNY; 03-12-17 at 01:03 AM.
Old 03-12-17, 03:59 AM
wschruba

Mentioned: 32 Post(s)
Quoted: 499 Post(s)
Liked 63 Times in 48 Posts
[snip]
However, I agree that the so-called ring test is meaningless, especially without a reference sample to compare to, unless one has perfect pitch. But I don't make a point of trying to prove that.[snip]
I'll take a crack at that, though. A tube, by itself, will not change in pitch (it's fundamental), regardless of where you hit it... Think a chime. What the butting *does* add is overtones--which are, more or less, completely indistinguishable, since an assembled frame has more in common with an un-tuned bell (several tubes of varying thicknesses/lengths/butting, resulting in a mishmash of tones), than a musical instrument.

All of that assumes a frame that is tapped/rapped while hanging from a cord, with nothing built on it. All the "tap test" proves is that the ends of the individual tubes are, indeed, fixed into another part of the bike, and less prone to vibrate as a result.

As mentioned before in the thread, a maker's mark and other key clues (seat tube ID, weight, model) are better indicators of what the bike may be made of without destructive testing.

Not pointed at you, just general information for the (hopeful) edification of the masses.
Old 03-12-17, 08:03 AM
Wileyrat

Bikes: 2015 Ridley Fenix, 1983 Team Fuji, 2019 Marin Nail Trail 6

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 336 Post(s)
Liked 225 Times in 136 Posts
The thinner material in a butted tube does sound different when given the finger nail tap. If you don't hear a difference, your tube isn't butted.

A tried and true test shown to me by a bike mechanic back in the early 70s.

A tube can have multiple wall thicknesses in it, making it multiple butted. Were they better than double butted? I have a quad butted Fuji, I'm sure it's a bit lighter than an identical size frame made with identical tubing that was double butted instead, but I doubt it's better.

Pose this question in CnV and see what answers you get.

Last edited by Wileyrat; 03-12-17 at 08:15 AM.
Old 03-12-17, 08:49 AM
pauoos
pauoos

Bikes: 2001 LeMond Tourmalet, 2000 Gary Fisher Aquila

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Actually, there's no reliable way to be sure. Weight may work to separate a good quality frame from one of much lower quality, but things get close near the upper end, and variables like lugs, BB shell or whatever make it hard to distinguish between butted and high quality plain gauge tubing. Also, know that both butted and plain gauge tubes come in various wall thicknesses, further muddying that water...
An industrial xray machine would let you know for sure. There are many companies that offer xray inspection services. They could tell you if your frame was made from double butted tubes. Unfortunately that would be an expensive way to satisfy your curiosity.
Old 03-12-17, 01:05 PM
chaadster
Thread Killer

Bikes: 15 Kinesis Racelight 4S, 76 Motebecane Gran Jubilée, 17 Dedacciai Gladiatore2, 12 Breezer Venturi, 09 Dahon Mariner, 12 Mercier Nano, 95 DeKerf Team SL, 19 Tern Rally, 21 Breezer Doppler Cafe+, 19 T-Lab X3, 91 Serotta CII, 23 3T Strada

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 3132 Post(s)
Liked 1,700 Times in 1,027 Posts
Maybe I do, but let's not go there.

A single butted tube, such as is used for the seat tube has one reinforced (buttressed) end.
a double butted tube, used for the top and down tubes, is thicker at both ends (and thinner in the middle).

I believe* that a triple butted tube is analogous to a triple butted spoke, where the two ends are of different thickness. So you have 3 gauges, the thicker end, the not as thick end, and the middle which is thinnest.

But no matter what marketing calls it, you can only buttress 2 ends of a tube. (except in 4 dimensional space, where tubes might have 3 ends)

* I said believe, because while I've described one use of the term I'm familiar with, I have no way of knowing what marketing is up to these days.
What "marketing is up to these days" is not thinking about butted tubes, just as they haven't been for the past 15 or so years. In the rare instance where they do have copy to create for a triple butted tubeset, I can't see how they would reinvent the meaning, or to what end; it's not rocket science:

Old 03-12-17, 01:13 PM
JohnDThompson 
Old fart

Bikes: Several, mostly not name brands.

Mentioned: 153 Post(s)
Quoted: 3587 Post(s)
Liked 3,398 Times in 1,932 Posts
IIRC, "triple-butting" only involved the down tube, and made a slightly thicker wall in the region where shift lever bosses would be attached.