Search
Notices
Classic and Vintage Bicycles: Whats it Worth? Appraisals. Use this subforum for all requests as to "How much is this vintage bike worth?"Do NOT try to sell it in here, use the Marketplaces.

Vintage Trek road bike

Search this Thread

Old 12-31-22, 06:12 PM
XxHaimBondxX

Bikes: Trek FX 7.3, Specialized Roubaix, Scott CR1 SL, Huffy RedRock (first bike), Aostimotor S17 ebike

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 184 Post(s)
Liked 253 Times in 127 Posts
Vintage Trek road bike

Can someone ID this bike and suggest its value? Appears 412, 1977-1980?

Last edited by XxHaimBondxX; 01-11-23 at 08:00 PM. Reason: Model/year
Likes For XxHaimBondxX:
Old 01-01-23, 07:08 AM
Bianchigirll 
Bianchi Goddess

Bikes: Too many to list here check my signature.

Mentioned: 192 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2925 Post(s)
Liked 2,921 Times in 1,489 Posts
XxHaimBondxX Is that all the information you can get?

As it sits there like that I'd $100 simply because it looks like it's all there and might run after a servicing.

If you planning on buying this keep in mind it needs lots of elbow grease and TLC. Figure on a complete overhaul, some new cables, maybe a chain so that adds up.

Sugar "Kane" Kowalczyk
Likes For Bianchigirll:
Old 01-01-23, 09:13 AM
Mr. 66

Mentioned: 39 Post(s)
Quoted: 1135 Post(s)
Liked 1,727 Times in 951 Posts
Just a guess, 1980 410
Likes For Mr. 66:
Old 01-02-23, 01:26 PM
XxHaimBondxX

Bikes: Trek FX 7.3, Specialized Roubaix, Scott CR1 SL, Huffy RedRock (first bike), Aostimotor S17 ebike

Originally Posted by Bianchigirll
XxHaimBondxX Is that all the information you can get?

As it sits there like that I'd $100 simply because it looks like it's all there and might run after a servicing.

If you planning on buying this keep in mind it needs lots of elbow grease and TLC. Figure on a complete overhaul, some new cables, maybe a chain so that adds up.
got a bit more photos, but not sure I'm in, even for $20 they are asking for. Not a fan of that handlebar either. Travel time is an hour each way.

Old 01-02-23, 04:57 PM
AdventureManCO 
The Huffmeister

Bikes: '79 Trek 938, '86 Jim Merz Allez SE, '90 Miyata 1000, '68 PX-10, '80 PXN-10, '73 Super Course, '87 Guerciotti, '83 Trek 600, '80 Huffy Le Grande

Mentioned: 45 Post(s)
Quoted: 1214 Post(s)
Liked 3,509 Times in 1,397 Posts
Looks like it has been sitting in the weather for some time, but still definitely worthy of TLC and getting roadworthy. I'm in agreement w/ Bianchigirll
Likes For AdventureManCO:
Old 01-02-23, 05:14 PM
TugaDude

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 586 Post(s)
Liked 612 Times in 447 Posts
It would help to know why you are interested. Is it a potential rider? A flip candidate? Even at $20.00 there is going to be a LOT of elbow grease and expense. If you can source the consumables cheaply, then not so bad, but you can't avoid the labor.

I'll bet it would clean up pretty nicely and if it is a flip, there might be someone who recognizes the name and is willing to pay a fair price for it.

As far as the ID, there is still vintage Trek information on the web although the one, popular site seems to have gone away. Shame because it was quite helpful.
Old 01-02-23, 06:16 PM
XxHaimBondxX

Definitely for a flip. I had a bike similarly gummed up and it cleaned up easily with brake cleaner. Had to remove every moving part obviously. Still, this bike needs tires, probably tubes and liners, handlebars, brake levers etc.
Old 01-02-23, 06:39 PM
Barrettscv 
Have bike, will travel

Bikes: Ridley Helium SLX, Canyon Endurance SL, De Rosa Professional, Eddy Merckx Corsa Extra, Schwinn Paramount (1 painted, 1 chrome), Peugeot PX10, Serotta Nova X, Simoncini Cyclocross Special, Raleigh Roker, Pedal Force CG2 and CX2

Mentioned: 46 Post(s)
Quoted: 910 Post(s)
Liked 288 Times in 158 Posts
These early Treks were powder-coated. The paint is normally very durable. It will be worth the trip if you have the time and funds to clean and service it.
When I ride my bike I feel free and happy and strong. I'm liberated from the usual nonsense of day to day life. Solid, dependable, silent, my bike is my horse, my fighter jet, my island, my friend. Together we will conquer that hill and thereafter the world.
Likes For Barrettscv:
Old 01-02-23, 06:48 PM
bikemike73 

Bikes: 1973 Schwinn Sports Tourer plus a " few" more :)

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 211 Post(s)
Liked 199 Times in 147 Posts
Well worth the trip for $20.00

IF you have the time to do the work yourself 🚲🚴‍♀️🚵‍♀️🚵‍♀️
Likes For bikemike73:
Old 01-02-23, 08:14 PM
3alarmer 
Friendship is Magic

Bikes: old ones

Mentioned: 304 Post(s)
Quoted: 26382 Post(s)
Liked 10,362 Times in 7,196 Posts
...if the asking price is $20, what exactly are you expecting to get in responses about value ?
There's not much room for valuation between $20 and "they should pay you to take it."

Trek started using investment cast lugs on most steel models in 1985, so this bike probably predates that.
Old 01-03-23, 05:20 AM
XxHaimBondxX

Originally Posted by 3alarmer
...if the asking price is $20, what exactly are you expecting to get in responses about value ?
There's not much room for valuation between $20 and "they should pay you to take it."

Trek started using investment cast lugs on most steel models in 1985, so this bike probably predates that.
suppose I'm curious what it would worth completely cleaned up, tuned and with new rubber in medium market.
Old 01-03-23, 07:33 AM
TugaDude

The name will help it sell. Cleaned and polished, greased and new tires and your probably in the $200.00 range. More depending on traffic in your market, less if it is a slow one. I wouldn't spend too much on the bars but if you have a bar on hand, go for it. I agree they don't look the best, but some may like the more upright position they afford. Everyone is different, what repulses one may attract another.

Good luck!

P.S. Take wrk101's advice and take good photos when it is complete. Drive side as well as some close-ups of interesting bits. And explain the significance of Trek and the vintage of the bicycle. Hopefully you can nail down the year of production and maybe include a photo from the old catalog. All of that adds up to the potential to create value and add to the sale price.
Likes For TugaDude:
Old 01-03-23, 11:31 AM
3alarmer 
Friendship is Magic

Bikes: old ones

Mentioned: 304 Post(s)
Quoted: 26382 Post(s)
Liked 10,362 Times in 7,196 Posts
Originally Posted by XxHaimBondxX
suppose I'm curious what it would worth completely cleaned up, tuned and with new rubber in medium market.
,,, I sold a Trek 400 here in a slow market for $220. It was the later sort of frame, with the socketed, investment cast lugs and the rear derailleur cable routed through the chainstay. It was cleaned up, tuned, had good solid Mavic wheels and fenders on it, and was in excellent mechanical shape. The paint had a lot of touched up areas, so it was not pristine. But to get it to that stage, I think I probably invested that much in parts and original purchase price, and certainly I lost money if you count labor. It had Campy Victory stuff on it, not Suntour.

Here, it's become more and more difficult to sell road bikes with DT friction shifting and 5 or 6 cogs on the rear. Doesn't seem to matter how nicely you rehabilitate them.
Old 01-03-23, 02:57 PM
TugaDude

Originally Posted by 3alarmer
,,, I sold a Trek 400 here in a slow market for $220. It was the later sort of frame, with the socketed, investment cast lugs and the rear derailleur cable routed through the chainstay. It was cleaned up, tuned, had good solid Mavic wheels and fenders on it, and was in excellent mechanical shape. The paint had a lot of touched up areas, so it was not pristine. But to get it to that stage, I think I probably invested that much in parts and original purchase price, and certainly I lost money if you count labor. It had Campy Victory stuff on it, not Suntour.

Here, it's become more and more difficult to sell road bikes with DT friction shifting and 5 or 6 cogs on the rear. Doesn't seem to matter how nicely you rehabilitate them.
Somebody got an awesome deal in my opinion. If you account for labor none of us would make much money I guess. I know I spend way more time just in cleaning and polishing than I probably should. But Something in me won't let the bike pass along without being significantly improved. And sadly that means more of my valuable time.
Old 01-03-23, 04:09 PM
JulesCW 

Bikes: N+1

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 227 Post(s)
Liked 645 Times in 318 Posts
Originally Posted by TugaDude
It would help to know why you are interested. Is it a potential rider? A flip candidate? Even at $20.00 there is going to be a LOT of elbow grease and expense. If you can source the consumables cheaply, then not so bad, but you can't avoid the labor.

I'll bet it would clean up pretty nicely and if it is a flip, there might be someone who recognizes the name and is willing to pay a fair price for it.

As far as the ID, there is still vintage Trek information on the web although the one, popular site seems to have gone away. Shame because it was quite helpful.

FWIW, https://www.vintage-trek.com is back online, if that's the site you meant -- it's a great one!
Old 01-03-23, 06:27 PM
wrk101
Thrifty Bill

Bikes: 86 Katakura Silk, 87 Prologue X2, 88 Cimarron LE, 1975 Sekai 4000 Professional, 73 Paramount, plus more

Mentioned: 96 Post(s)
Quoted: 1236 Post(s)
Liked 964 Times in 628 Posts
If you are planning to flip in your market, #1 task is to learn what your market values a bike like this. Needs everything plus lots of rusty bits. And on flips, you need low cost options for consumables. Otherwise, bikes like this, even if acquired for free, can be breakeven or worse plus tie up 4 to 6 hours in time, not including the time it takes to sell.

"Somebody got an awesome deal in my opinion. If you account for labor none of us would make much money I guess. I know I spend way more time just in cleaning and polishing than I probably should. But Something in me won't let the bike pass along without being significantly improved. And sadly that means more of my valuable time."

This is the main reason I stopped flipping bikes at this quality level. Its very hard to even breakeven. The only bikes I flip anymore are much higher up, where its still possible to make a profit. And the higher end stuff often come with good tires and consumables. So they can cost less to refresh. Of course, I don't find high end stuff for $20. But if I find a $1000 bike for $500, I'm a buyer.

In the "good old days" I could get $200 for a Trek like this once refreshed. Not anymore.

Last edited by wrk101; 01-03-23 at 06:38 PM.
Old 01-04-23, 09:11 AM
XxHaimBondxX

Originally Posted by wrk101

In the "good old days" I could get $200 for a Trek like this once refreshed. Not anymore.
Are those early covid days? Back then even old beat up warmart stuff could yield $200.
Old 01-07-23, 09:08 AM
XxHaimBondxX

Brought the beast home for only $15, woohoo! Still not sure what model this is, but at least frame looks good.

Old 01-10-23, 06:57 AM
XxHaimBondxX

So the handlebar dilemma. If my market is soft, I'd rather keep the bike than give it away. I personally prefer flat bars to moustache, making it more of a hybrid. Or, option 2, steal drops and brakes from this bike I was planning to donate, restoring it to factory look?
Old 01-10-23, 09:52 AM
bboy314

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 310 Post(s)
Liked 713 Times in 367 Posts
If it were me, I’d leave the current handlebar on the Trek rather than install that awful drop bar. I don’t think swapping bars would help the flip value at all. If you intend to keep the trek and prefer that drop bar to what’s on there, that’s a different story.
Old 01-10-23, 10:18 AM
XxHaimBondxX

I figured I may find something better at our bike rescue place, since I'm going tomorrow anyway. Those drop bars were just available.
Old 01-10-23, 04:40 PM
SoCaled 

Bikes: Cuevas Custom, Cimmaron, 1988 "Pinalized Rockma", 1984 Trek 510, Moulton custom touring, Raleigh Competition GS, Bridgestone Mb-2 & 3, 1980's Peugeot - US, City, & Canyon Express (6)

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Quoted: 1087 Post(s)
Liked 3,691 Times in 1,820 Posts
Now that you have the bike in hand, did you check the serial number and find out what model/year this bike turned out to be?
Old 01-10-23, 06:35 PM
XxHaimBondxX

Originally Posted by SoCaled
Now that you have the bike in hand, did you check the serial number and find out what model/year this bike turned out to be?
appears to be 412, 1977-80. (M4D7B) A little confused with the whole serial number ordeal for those years.
Likes For XxHaimBondxX:
Old 01-11-23, 12:27 PM
wrk101
Thrifty Bill

Bikes: 86 Katakura Silk, 87 Prologue X2, 88 Cimarron LE, 1975 Sekai 4000 Professional, 73 Paramount, plus more

Mentioned: 96 Post(s)
Quoted: 1236 Post(s)
Liked 964 Times in 628 Posts
I would NOT use a single part off that old Columbia on the Trek. Bar and stem are likely heavy STEEL. You are heading to a co-op, which is exactly the right approach.

If it is solely for a flip, then I would keep the bars as is on the Trek. Many buyers prefer the upright positioning. I would deal with/replace the rusty stuff.
Old 01-11-23, 03:14 PM
zukahn1 

Bikes: Current 79 Nishiki Custum Sport, Jeunet 620, notable previous bikes P.K. Ripper loop tail, Kawahara Laser Lite, Paramount Track full chrome, Raliegh Internatioanl, Motobecan Super Mirage. 59 Crown royak 3 speed

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 789 Post(s)
Liked 1,739 Times in 630 Posts
Cleaned ready to ride with little or no rust visiable and good rubber I would say $200 it's a nice frame with some good basic parts as for value the dust caps and RD are worth close to $100 on Ebay so worth a trip for $20. As for flipping or keeping I wouldn't change the bars just flip them so there correct there basically upside down now which looks goofy, this will help looks and performance a lot and only take a few minutes easy fix that could double the sale price.

Last edited by zukahn1; 01-11-23 at 03:23 PM.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.