Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Hydraulic Vs mechanical brakes

Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Hydraulic Vs mechanical brakes

Old 02-10-23, 10:05 AM
elcruxio

Bikes: 2011 Specialized crux comp, 2013 Specialized Rockhopper Pro

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 862 Post(s)
Liked 335 Times in 223 Posts
Originally Posted by smd4
Not good enough.

I agree that brakes in the '80s, even Dura Ace single pivots, were no great shakes. However, today I'm using Dura Ace dual-pivots with compressionless housing. You really don't have any idea how effective my brakes are.
I have ultegra dual pivots with compressionless housings and kool stop pads. They're, fine... Not really on the same planet as GRX.
Old 02-10-23, 10:09 AM
PeteHski

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 4384 Post(s)
Liked 4,821 Times in 2,979 Posts
Not good enough.

I agree that brakes in the '80s, even Dura Ace single pivots, were no great shakes. However, today I'm using Dura Ace dual-pivots with compressionless housing. You really don't have any idea how effective my brakes are.
So you are in fact using the same brakes in the earlier video comparison. Nowhere have I even suggested that you require more braking performance for your personal needs. So you can kick that straw man down.
Old 02-10-23, 10:11 AM
smd4

Bikes: 1989 Cinelli Supercorsa

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 3482 Post(s)
Liked 2,903 Times in 1,764 Posts
Originally Posted by elcruxio
I have ultegra dual pivots with compressionless housings and kool stop pads. They're, fine... Not really on the same planet as GRX.
My brakes work so well I don't need to use Kool Stop pads.
Old 02-10-23, 10:16 AM
smd4

Originally Posted by PeteHski
So you are in fact using the same brakes in the earlier video comparison. Nowhere have I even suggested that you require more braking performance for your personal needs. So you can kick that straw man down.
Um. No.

I like GCN for its fun, entertaining personalities. No where did they mention the cable housing. And did you actually see how jacked-up the cable installation/quick release is on that bike? Hard to give it much credibility. But definitely fun to watch. I love Ollie.
Old 02-10-23, 10:19 AM
Eric F 
Habitual User

Bikes: 2023 Niner RLT 9 RDO, 2018 Trek Procaliber 9.9 RSL, 2018 Storck Fascenario.3 Platinum, 2003 Time VX Special Pro, 2001 Colnago VIP, 1999 Trek 9900 singlespeed, 1977 Nishiki ONP

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 4917 Post(s)
Liked 8,022 Times in 3,795 Posts
Originally Posted by tomato coupe
I think a large majority of cyclists that have used hydraulic disc brakes will say they have really good modulation.
Right. This is why comments about a lack of modulation control puzzle me.
Old 02-10-23, 10:20 AM
elcruxio

Bikes: 2011 Specialized crux comp, 2013 Specialized Rockhopper Pro

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 862 Post(s)
Liked 335 Times in 223 Posts
The stock pads weren't better
Old 02-10-23, 10:24 AM
smd4

Originally Posted by elcruxio
The stock pads weren't better
Okay.
Old 02-10-23, 10:27 AM
PeteHski

Um. No.

I like GCN for its fun, entertaining personalities. No where did they mention the cable housing. And did you actually see how jacked-up the cable installation/quick release is on that bike? Hard to give it much credibility. But definitely fun to watch. I love Ollie.
LOL.

Did you know Ollie has a rim-brake Pinarello as his personal bike? At least he did a couple of years ago.
Old 02-10-23, 10:29 AM
smd4

LOL.

Did you know Ollie has a rim-brake Pinarello as his personal bike? At least he did a couple of years ago.
'Cause he's all about aero, I suppose.
Old 02-10-23, 10:42 AM
Eric F 
Habitual User

Bikes: 2023 Niner RLT 9 RDO, 2018 Trek Procaliber 9.9 RSL, 2018 Storck Fascenario.3 Platinum, 2003 Time VX Special Pro, 2001 Colnago VIP, 1999 Trek 9900 singlespeed, 1977 Nishiki ONP

Originally Posted by GhostRider62
Come ride my bike?

SRAM AXS Red HRD brakes.

The initial grab is very high compared to rim brakes. Let's say you want to feather the brakes going into a bumpy corner, it takes some thought and care meaning very little lever movement results in a lot of braking force compared to rim brakes. The difference is very apparent to me. On a positive note, did you watch the video? From a performance perspective, I would guess my descent times on Stelvio would be vastly improved (in theory).
Hmmm...I don't know if SRAM brakes have a different response than Shimano, because I've only used Shimano. The lever feel is definitely different between my rim brake bikes and disc brake bikes, and I would agree that the disc brakes bite quicker, but (for me) that bite is still very controllable. I would not equate it to a lack of modulation, but just a more responsive bite. For me, swapping between bikes, making the lever feel adjustment in my actions only takes a moment, but I can understand why that might not be the case for everyone. It's not really different than the difference in brake pedal feel between my car and my wife's.

I did watch the video. I don't remember them talking about a lack of modulation control. Both of their tests included scenarios where stopping in as short a distance as possible was the goal, or a major factor, and disc brakes were clearly superior in their tests. A lack of modulation control would mean that you couldn't take a longer distance to stop, if you wanted to.

Last edited by Eric F; 02-10-23 at 10:53 AM.
Old 02-10-23, 10:44 AM
PeteHski

'Cause he's all about aero, I suppose.
I'm pretty sure that wasn't it! I would need to watch his video again where he was debating which way to go. I think it was mainly because he could get a discount on the rim-braked frame and because he wanted to minimise weight for pure hill-climbing.
Old 02-10-23, 10:46 AM
Eric F 
Habitual User

Originally Posted by wolfchild
According to some people, only hydraulic disc brakes have enough stopping power for any type of serious riding....Anything that's cable actuated has mediocre stopping power, is too complex to set up and adjust, requires frequent cable and housing replacement and should only be used on cheap department store bikes.
"According to some people..." Which people? Come with receipts.
Old 02-10-23, 10:48 AM
smd4

I'm pretty sure that wasn't it! I would need to watch his video again where he was debating which way to go. I think it was mainly because he could get a discount on the rim-braked frame and because he wanted to minimise weight for pure hill-climbing.
That's surprising, because those guys seem to be all about the most modern tech.
Old 02-10-23, 10:53 AM
tomato coupe

Bikes: Colnago, Van Dessel, Factor, Cervelo, Ritchey

Quoted: 3936 Post(s)
Liked 7,263 Times in 2,937 Posts
The range of hand force required is higher with rim brake and the braking force is lower, so the sensitivity is higher. Thus, easier to modulate. I don't care what idiotic blogs and articles say.
You're generally more capable of fine motor control when you're not having to supply a larger overall force, which is one reason why modulation of disc brakes can be better.
Old 02-10-23, 10:54 AM
PeteHski

Originally Posted by Eric F
Hmmm...I don't know if SRAM brakes have a different response than Shimano, because I've only used Shimano. The lever feel is definitely different between my rim brake bikes and disc brake bikes, and I would agree that the disc brakes bite quicker, but (for me) that bite is still very controllable. I would not equate it to a lack of modulation, but just a more responsive bite. For me, swapping between bikes, making the lever feel adjustment in my actions only takes a moment, but I can understand why that might not be the case for everyone. It's not really different that the different brake pedal feel between my car and my wife's.

I did watch the video. I don't remember them talking about a lack of modulation control. Both of their tests included scenarios where stopping in as short a distance as possible was the goal, or a major factor, and disc brakes were clearly superior in their tests. A lack of modulation control would mean that you couldn't take a longer distance to stop, if you wanted to.
I've got one road bike on Shimano (105) and one on SRAM (Force) hydros. There isn't a lot of difference in lever feel and modulation. Both are very good and I rode the SRAM brakes on the L'Etape du Tour last summer in 40 degC heat. They remained consistent throughout on multiple epic descents. Not many guys were still on rim brakes.
Old 02-10-23, 10:56 AM
PeteHski

That's surprising, because those guys seem to be all about the most modern tech.
Surprising that he chose rim brakes for his personal bike? I was a little surprised, but I think it was the big frame discount that swung it.
Old 02-10-23, 11:03 AM
Eric F 
Habitual User

Great! Go ride and enjoy. I have dual-pivot Dua-Ace brakes on a couple of my older road bikes, and they definitely do a better job stopping the bike than the Campy Record brakes on my newer road bike.
Old 02-10-23, 11:11 AM
Eric F 
Habitual User

I've got one road bike on Shimano (105) and one on SRAM (Force) hydros. There isn't a lot of difference in lever feel and modulation. Both are very good and I rode the SRAM brakes on the L'Etape du Tour last summer in 40 degC heat. They remained consistent throughout on multiple epic descents. Not many guys were still on rim brakes.
My #1 road bike has Campy Record rim brakes. The lever feel and contact point are pretty different than the Ultegra hydro discs on my gravel bike. My SS MTB has Avid v-brakes. Compared to the XTR hydro discs on my newer MTB, the contact point is similar, but the discs bite quicker and need less lever force. This has been my experience. I understand that others might have a different experience.
Old 02-10-23, 11:38 AM
Eric F 
Habitual User

The range of hand force required is higher with rim brake and the braking force is lower, so the sensitivity is higher. Thus, easier to modulate. I don't care what idiotic blogs and articles say.
I understand the logic of your statement, but in real world application, I'm not sure how accurate it is. Just because disc brakes bite quicker, and take less lever force/travel to get to lockup doesn't mean that's the only way to use them. I can very easily get the pads to just skim the rotor surface to shave off a tiny amount of speed, if that's what I need to do. I can do the same with rim brakes. Increased sensitivity doesn't necessarily mean less fine control is available, it's a matter of adapting our actions to match the brake sensitivity. This is what I've experienced. Maybe your experience is different.

One thing I've found is that on long, challenging MTB descents, when riding my singlespeed (v-brakes) I can sometimes feel my forearms start to tire from squeezing the brakes. I don't get the same feeling when riding the same descent on my disc brake MTB.
Old 02-10-23, 01:31 PM
Atlas Shrugged

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 1242 Post(s)
Liked 1,318 Times in 671 Posts
Having transitioned from top-tier rim brakes (Campy Super Record) to Dura Ace Disc brakes, yes, there was an adjustment period to adapt but it's silly to use that as an excuse for not changing. In fact it was the rim brakes which were inconsistent, wet or dry, they responded completely differently, and aluminum or carbon wheels also reacted differently. Each combination of those required adjustment to the braking technique. Disc is totally consistent across its use spectrum and suffers much less in that regard. Also, the lack of modulation trope is like driving a 1969 pickup without power brakes and then switching to a newer truck with power disc brakes and complaining they are too grabby because when you stomp on them with full force, they lock up. Did my rim brake bike stop great, yes, but my disc brake bike overall performs better.
Likes For Atlas Shrugged:
Old 02-11-23, 04:36 AM
PeteHski

Originally Posted by Atlas Shrugged
Having transitioned from top-tier rim brakes (Campy Super Record) to Dura Ace Disc brakes, yes, there was an adjustment period to adapt but it's silly to use that as an excuse for not changing. In fact it was the rim brakes which were inconsistent, wet or dry, they responded completely differently, and aluminum or carbon wheels also reacted differently. Each combination of those required adjustment to the braking technique. Disc is totally consistent across its use spectrum and suffers much less in that regard. Also, the lack of modulation trope is like driving a 1969 pickup without power brakes and then switching to a newer truck with power disc brakes and complaining they are too grabby because when you stomp on them with full force, they lock up. Did my rim brake bike stop great, yes, but my disc brake bike overall performs better.
I agree. Modulation is all about consistency. There is enough lever travel to provide force resolution (reach and bar clearance ultimately dictate lever travel) and the weighting of the lever is down to choice of master and slave cylinders in the hydraulic system. Obviously those are fixed by the manufacturer, but are based on what people generally prefer. Modulation of rim brakes is never going to match the consistency of hydraulics.

Another analogy is cable vs hydraulic clutch actuation in cars. I have one classic Porsche 911 with a cable actuated clutch and it is both heavy and inconsistent in its feel. Later models moved to a hydraulic clutch actuator, like pretty much all modern cars today. Lighter feel and more consistent and that's just from cable to hydraulic actuation of the same mechanism. For the same reason that's why nearly everyone prefers hydraulic to cable actuated disc brakes. Hydraulic actuators are inherently more efficient than equivalent cable actuators.
Old 02-11-23, 05:13 AM
GhostRider62

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 2332 Post(s)
Liked 2,097 Times in 1,314 Posts
Hmmm...I don't know if SRAM brakes have a different response than Shimano, because I've only used Shimano. The lever feel is definitely different between my rim brake bikes and disc brake bikes, and I would agree that the disc brakes bite quicker, but (for me) that bite is still very controllable. I would not equate it to a lack of modulation, but just a more responsive bite. For me, swapping between bikes, making the lever feel adjustment in my actions only takes a moment, but I can understand why that might not be the case for everyone. It's not really different than the difference in brake pedal feel between my car and my wife's.

Maybe I am just too sensitive but there is a massive difference in braking modulation between all of my 4 motor vehicles, when I go from my Land Cruiser to BMW, it can be scary how quick and responsive they are in comparison.

I get that everyone on this thread loves HRD brakes. But they are a PITA. Hoses vibrating. Slightly loose headset and death vibration braking on bumpy roads. Squeeling. Chattering. Bedding procedures. 1000 miles to wear out a set of pads. Adapter bracket slipping. On a $13,000 professionally build up bike. I never had any problems ever a rim braked bike. I'm committed to making it work and there is no way for me to change my mind WRT to sensitivity of the braking, I explained it in simple terms. The amount of lever travel to brake clamping force is much, much higher on my HRD brakes than any rim brake, this lack of sensitivity is a reduced modulation.
Old 02-11-23, 06:28 AM
PeteHski

Maybe I am just too sensitive but there is a massive difference in braking modulation between all of my 4 motor vehicles, when I go from my Land Cruiser to BMW, it can be scary how quick and responsive they are in comparison.

I get that everyone on this thread loves HRD brakes. But they are a PITA. Hoses vibrating. Slightly loose headset and death vibration braking on bumpy roads. Squeeling. Chattering. Bedding procedures. 1000 miles to wear out a set of pads. Adapter bracket slipping. On a $13,000 professionally build up bike. I never had any problems ever a rim braked bike. I'm committed to making it work and there is no way for me to change my mind WRT to sensitivity of the braking, I explained it in simple terms. The amount of lever travel to brake clamping force is much, much higher on my HRD brakes than any rim brake, this lack of sensitivity is a reduced modulation.
Hoses vibrating, adapter bracket slipping, loose headset and associated death vibration are bike build/design issues and certainly not inherent to SRAM HRD.

Squealing and chattering - do you get that in the dry? Is it front and rear, or just one end? Mine squeal in the wet, but rarely in dry conditions. Sounds like pad contamination or glazing. Have you tried different pads? Organic vs sintered? The only time I've had brake squeal in the dry was on epic alpine descents during a 40+ degC heat wave. The brakes simply got too hot and started squealing quite badly until they cooled off. I ended up changing those pads after that trip as they continued to squeal a little in normal conditions. It was my fault really for not switching to sintered pads for the alpine trip. I prefer the feel of organic pads for everyday use, but they don't tolerate heat quite so well and tend to wear quickly in the wet.

I get it that you think the lever weighting is too light for your personal preference. Shimano has similar lever weighting, so it's just something you will need to adapt to. You could maybe try smaller diameter discs to reduce braking torque, but probably not going to make much difference. Rim brakes simply have less overall braking power so you need to squeeze them harder for a given braking force.
Old 02-12-23, 10:57 AM
Eric F 
Habitual User

If I was having those issues with my brakes, I might be less than thrilled with them, too. Neither of my Shimano disc brake bikes have had those issues. Some of your issues sound like tuning/maintenance problems, rather than being specifically related to the brakes. Again, I wonder how much of this has to do with differences between SRAM and Shimano systems.

The suggestion of smaller rotors might be worth a try. On my gravel bike, I was feeling like I wasn't getting as much stopping power as I wanted from my front brake, so I swapped the stock 140mm rotor for a 160mm, and it made the difference I was looking for. Since you are looking for less sensitivity, going to smaller rotors might put the feel closer to your comfort zone.

Last edited by Eric F; 02-15-23 at 04:07 PM.
Old 02-12-23, 11:22 AM
PeteHski

Again, I wonder how much of this has to do with differences between SRAM and Shimano systems.
IME they are much the same. We currently have 1 bike on Shimano, 3 on SRAM and 1 on Magura. None of them have had any issues like this. If I had to pick one, I would say my Shimano road brakes have the best feel, but there is very little in it.
Likes For PeteHski:

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.