Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Winter Cycling
Reload this Page >

Where's Winter?

Search
Notices
Winter Cycling Don't let snow and ice discourage you this winter. The key element to year-round cycling is proper attire! Check out this winter cycling forum to chat with other ice bike fanatics.

Where's Winter?

Search this Thread

Old 02-11-23, 06:35 AM
parkbrav

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 220 Post(s)
Liked 114 Times in 97 Posts
I just reviewed an article by Accuweather on Meteorological Spring. You can find it here. It may be helpful
Old 02-11-23, 03:07 PM
Daniel4

Bikes: Sekine 1979 ten speed racer

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 1481 Post(s)
Liked 639 Times in 437 Posts
All the accumulation has gone. The trails are only left with ice where the sun don't shine. The bike lanes are completely free of any hint of winter.

I switched back to my winter beater having ridden my fat bike for only two weeks.

Last edited by Daniel4; 02-11-23 at 03:13 PM.
Likes For Daniel4:
Old 02-11-23, 08:36 PM
gecho

Bikes: 2009 Trek 520

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 155 Post(s)
Liked 167 Times in 130 Posts
We continue to have well above normal temperatures, but the huge dump of snow we got before Christmas continues to hang on. Most of the arterial streets are melted down to bare pavement. Side streets are icy, but the good kind, which is preferable to loose snow. People don't realize its easier to bike on ice than walk on it, so I get a lot of odd looks ripping down the streets, I haven't had my tires slip at all in the past few days. Most of the paved paths still have a layer of snow on them, keeping ice to a minimum. Groomed fat bike trails and foot trampled tracks are hard and smooth. A few more days where we'll reach melting temperatures, then dipping below freezing again.

I'm getting a ton of riding in this winter, over 1300 km on the fat bike since New Years.
Likes For gecho:
Old 02-12-23, 07:22 AM
rumrunn6

Bikes: Bottecchia Sprint, GT Timberline 29r, Marin Muirwoods 29er, Trek FX Alpha 7.0

Mentioned: 112 Post(s)
Quoted: 5224 Post(s)
Liked 3,581 Times in 2,342 Posts
Originally Posted by Daniel4
I switched back to my winter beater having ridden my fat bike for only two weeks.
switched tires on one bike. keeping the studs on another, just in case Mother Nature swings the other way, one more time. but w/ temps in the 60sF Thursday, it's doubtful the studs will roll again this year. right now I'm dodging the muddy bits