Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Hydraulic Vs mechanical brakes

Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Hydraulic Vs mechanical brakes

Old 02-12-23, 12:01 PM
Eric F 
Habitual User

Bikes: 2023 Niner RLT 9 RDO, 2018 Trek Procaliber 9.9 RSL, 2018 Storck Fascenario.3 Platinum, 2003 Time VX Special Pro, 2001 Colnago VIP, 1999 Trek 9900 singlespeed, 1977 Nishiki ONP

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4925 Post(s)
Liked 8,039 Times in 3,800 Posts
Originally Posted by PeteHski
IME they are much the same. We currently have 1 bike on Shimano, 3 on SRAM and 1 on Magura. None of them have had any issues like this. If I had to pick one, I would say my Shimano road brakes have the best feel, but there is very little in it.
I have read comments on MTB-focused forms that Shimano's MTB disc brakes are notably better than SRAM, but I haven't experienced it for myself. The previous owner of my newest MTB replaced the original SRAM Level Ultimate brakes with Shimano XTRs. Based on other changes he made to the bike, I can assume he thought the XTR brakes were an improvement. That said, this probably has very little comparison with road brakes.
Old 02-12-23, 01:27 PM
PeteHski

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 4384 Post(s)
Liked 4,824 Times in 2,981 Posts
Originally Posted by Eric F
I have read comments on MTB-focused forms that Shimano's MTB disc brakes are notably better than SRAM, but I haven't experienced it for myself. The previous owner of my newest MTB replaced the original SRAM Level Ultimate brakes with Shimano XTRs. Based on other changes he made to the bike, I can assume he thought the XTR brakes were an improvement. That said, this probably has very little comparison with road brakes.
All my mtb brakes are SRAM so I don’t have a personal comparison there. No complaints about them though. I certainly wouldn’t consider changing them out.

My only direct comparison of Shimano vs SRAM is on my 2 road bikes and I perhaps have a slight preference for Shimano there. But it’s very close.
Likes For PeteHski:
Old 02-12-23, 02:04 PM
elcruxio

Bikes: 2011 Specialized crux comp, 2013 Specialized Rockhopper Pro

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 862 Post(s)
Liked 335 Times in 223 Posts
On the MTB side I've tried Magura, Shimano, Avid, Sram and Shigura (shimano/magura mix).

While the shigura takes the cake maguras are a close second, shimano comes after that and waaaaay behind are Avid and Sram. I had Sram Guide RE's, which should be powerful with four pots but they just kinda sucked. Low power and meh lever feel.

on the road I much prefer shimano. Road sram (older rival) was low power and meh lever feel. I don't know if it's piston ratios or what but I have never gotten any decent power out of any Sram hydro.
Likes For elcruxio:
Old 02-12-23, 02:27 PM
rosefarts
With a mighty wind

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 1084 Post(s)
Liked 854 Times in 483 Posts
I will admit that the tumor on top of the sram hydro road levers was pretty awesome for riding position.

The straight brake levers and weak brakes are a trade off.

I ditched them and haven’t missed them since.