Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Bike Myths We Wish Would Die

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Bike Myths We Wish Would Die

Search this Thread

Old 02-22-23, 10:10 AM
GhostRider62

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2332 Post(s)
Liked 2,097 Times in 1,314 Posts
Originally Posted by tomato coupe
Imagine that. Someone that understands physics at a deep level not appreciating someone arguing about a simple, well established physics principle. Drunk or not, he was correct.
Yes, increasing contact patch does not improve traction.......where? Inside the vacuum of a sealed vodka bottle?

All these years, I have been using the widest tires possible on my off road rigs. What a mistake. And when traction is an issue, I increase the patch by airing down until the tire is almost flat. If you increase contact patch area as I wrote, traction improves. If the contact patch area does not increase, neither does traction.

Yes, well established like taking sodium supplements wards off cramping and EAH

Why do lower pressure wide tires like Rene Herse descent so well, aside from better suspension characteristics? It is the massive contact patch. In the rain? Way, way better than 25 mm at 100 psi. Not even close.
Old 02-22-23, 10:10 AM
Atlas Shrugged

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 1245 Post(s)
Liked 1,321 Times in 673 Posts
Originally Posted by Jeff Neese
Perfect example is the Cambridge guy, whose video was used to show something completely different than what we're talking about (countersteering and what keeps a bicycle upright - not the topic) but a couple people latched onto that in an effort to prove something completely different. He may be an expert in some things, but he had nothing to say about rotating mass vs static mass, now did he?

Science seeks to explain observable phenomenon. Think "Hey - that's funny. I wonder why that is. Let's find out." And then take the fact of how differently a bike actually handles when you add or subtract weight from the wheel, observing how different that is than the same weight on the frame, and then devising ways to explain or quantify that. In this case, there's no need to do that because the physics are already well understood. So-called experts like Isaac Newton have already told us that there should be a difference, and then the first time we swap heavy wheels for light ones and hop on the bike, we say "Wow. That Newton guy really knew what he was talking about."

Comparing two sets of loudspeakers, there may be fairly significant differences in how they sound, and those characteristics can be calculated by the engineer as part of the design and then measured from the actual speaker after it's built. Yet despite their significant objective differences, one person might say "They sound the same to me - I'll go with the cheaper ones" while someone else might say "Wow - that's quite a difference and I like Speaker B much better." Different people hear differences in different things. Some people can taste things that others can't, or detect subtle color differences that might look the same to others. Some people can feel the difference in rotating weight and others can't. No shame - just go ride what you have.

For anyone reading through this very interesting thread (one of the better ones lately) I would say only this. Just try it. If you have a "gravel bike" or something with beefy but heavy tires and can find a way to try out a set of lightweight road bike wheels, you'll understand. Weight matters on the outside diameter of the wheels. A lot.
Not sure what you are trying to salvage from your perspective on this debate. If the point is to take a sluggish heavy gravel wheelset tire combination and compare them to a lightweight high-performance set up to defend your premise this proves absolutely nothing. How about taking a lightweight 1000-gram wheelset with a top-tier tire and then taking a 1500-gram wheelset with the same tire setup, placing 500 grams on the frameset for the lighter wheelset and then comparing on a measured ride such as Ventoux or similar? There is no indication other than some 1960s myth that there will be any measurable difference.
Likes For Atlas Shrugged:
Old 02-22-23, 10:20 AM
GhostRider62

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 2332 Post(s)
Liked 2,097 Times in 1,314 Posts
As previously posted, my circa 1992 Specialized/Dupont Trispokes weighted about 2200 grams whereas my extra special light racing wheels weighed about 1200 grams. Both had he same tires. The Trispokes naturally felt a little sluggish jumping out of corners but the minor effect was trivial compared to extra speed they gave everywhere else. Trispoke were always faster

Ok, we can all agree. Wicked heavy wheels feel yucky bringing them to speed.
Likes For GhostRider62:
Old 02-22-23, 10:28 AM
Eric F 
Habitual User

Bikes: 2023 Niner RLT 9 RDO, 2018 Trek Procaliber 9.9 RSL, 2018 Storck Fascenario.3 Platinum, 2003 Time VX Special Pro, 2001 Colnago VIP, 1999 Trek 9900 singlespeed, 1977 Nishiki ONP

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 4926 Post(s)
Liked 8,056 Times in 3,809 Posts
Originally Posted by Daniel4
Because bad driving is dangerous. Remove cyclists from the road and pedestrians still get killed as well as other drivers. Eliminate bad drivers and everybody is safe.

If there are records kept for cyclist self injuries or self collision stats, they'd be insignificant. But for cars? It's not uncommon on Friday or Saturday nights, someone somewhere gets into a single car collision.

So if someone thinks cycling is dangerous, better to look at driving instead.
Eliminating bad drivers isn't realistic. As long as we are sharing the roads with cars, bad drivers will continue to be a threat to cyclists. Some cyclists are a threat to themselves in the way they interact with drivers. In a car vs. bike incident, the cyclist is much more likely to be injured/killed than the driver.

Also, cycling injuries/deaths do no only happen on the road, and the ones that do don't always involve a car.

Last edited by Eric F; 02-22-23 at 10:45 AM.
Old 02-22-23, 10:33 AM
rydabent
Banned

Bikes: RANS Stratus TerraTrike Tour II

Mentioned: 46 Post(s)
Quoted: 3352 Post(s)
Liked 1,056 Times in 635 Posts
Originally Posted by GhostRider62
0. Real cyclists only ride uprights
Hey hey there is another one.
Old 02-22-23, 10:42 AM
rydabent
Banned

Originally Posted by terrymorse
Not a myth.
Most certainly is. Show me any other machines that are lubed with wax. Totally a cycling myth.
Old 02-22-23, 10:43 AM
rydabent
Banned

Originally Posted by elcruxio
Does it have to be mechanical world? Works just fine on the underside of skis.
A flat ski is NOT a machine with moveable parts.
Old 02-22-23, 10:44 AM
Eric F 
Habitual User

Bikes: 2023 Niner RLT 9 RDO, 2018 Trek Procaliber 9.9 RSL, 2018 Storck Fascenario.3 Platinum, 2003 Time VX Special Pro, 2001 Colnago VIP, 1999 Trek 9900 singlespeed, 1977 Nishiki ONP

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 4926 Post(s)
Liked 8,056 Times in 3,809 Posts
If you have a "gravel bike" or something with beefy but heavy tires and can find a way to try out a set of lightweight road bike wheels, you'll understand. Weight matters on the outside diameter of the wheels. A lot.
Hmmm...I have a gravel bike. The wheels are fairly light (sub-1500g), and the tires are 500g each. This is approximately a 300g per wheel difference from my road bike wheels. When I ride it on the road, my sensation is that the rolling resistance of the tread pattern and width are making more difference in my rolling efficiency than the tire weight. This is a totoally subjective observation.
Old 02-22-23, 10:44 AM
rydabent
Banned

Originally Posted by Polaris OBark
How about "recumbents are better than DF bicycles" and only Big DiamondFrame keeps this truth suppressed.
Recumbent DO have their advantages in several areas of cycling.
Old 02-22-23, 10:50 AM
rydabent
Banned

Originally Posted by big john
What are you trying to say? Do you think there is gyroscopic effect at 3mph? How about 2mph?
Anyone that doesnt believe rotational enerita has never ridden a bike over 40 mph, or ridden a bike with 2 30 inch wheels and felt how fast it accellerates.
Old 02-22-23, 10:59 AM
elcruxio

Bikes: 2011 Specialized crux comp, 2013 Specialized Rockhopper Pro

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 862 Post(s)
Liked 335 Times in 223 Posts
Originally Posted by rydabent
A flat ski is NOT a machine with moveable parts.
But it requires lubrication. Seems like you're shifting the goalposts old chum.
Old 02-22-23, 11:00 AM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Giant OCR A1; SOMA Double Cross Disc; 2022 Allez Elite mit der SRAM

Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Quoted: 8186 Post(s)
Liked 9,095 Times in 5,053 Posts
Originally Posted by MoAlpha
Correct.

Correct.

Allz I meant above was that thirst and relative dehydration are normal and tolerable in vigorously exercising humans and I wasn't referring to water intoxication.

Right, I acknowledged that I was going farther than you because I think the "drink when you're not thirsty" thing is a corollary to the "if you get thirsty, it's too late" thing.
Likes For livedarklions:
Old 02-22-23, 11:12 AM
GamblerGORD53

Bikes: 2013 Custom SA5w / Rohloff Tourster

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 1233 Post(s)
Liked 318 Times in 245 Posts
Probably why MOI has little effect is because the weight of front half of the tire going down counteracts the back half the tire. Same at any speed. Size and weight of the wheel will NOT change this. Maybe this is the reason bikes are so stable. LOL.
I love the momentum of my heavy bikes. I have gone 45+ mph several times, solid as a rock. Last year I test slammed on the drum brakes at 39 mph. NO problem.

Last edited by GamblerGORD53; 02-22-23 at 11:15 AM.
Old 02-22-23, 11:16 AM
terrymorse 
climber has-been

Bikes: Scott Addict R1, Felt Z1

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 3410 Post(s)
Liked 3,542 Times in 1,782 Posts
Myth: Drinking an Oral Rehydration Solution (ORS) during exercise reduces cramping.

Reality: Maybe not a myth, after all.

One small study (funded by the manufacturer of the ORS drink used) had men run downhill in the heat while drinking either spring water or ORS. After the run, the subject's calf muscles were stimulated electrically at increasing frequency until they cramped up. The subjects who drank ORS were less susceptible to cramping than the ones who drank spring water.

The results of the present study showed that the TF [threshold frequency] to induce muscle cramp after DHR [downhill run] increased with the ingestion of OS-1 [commercial ORS drink] during DHR, but decreased with spring water ingestion during DHR. This supported the hypothesis that post-exercise muscle cramp susceptibility would be decreased by [ingestion] of ORS but increased by spring water during exercise.

-- Wing Yin Lau, Haruyasu Kato & Kazunori Nosaka
(2021) Effect of oral rehydration solution versus spring water intake during exercise in the heat on muscle cramp susceptibility of young men, Journal of the International Society of Sports Nutrition,18:1,DOI: 10.1186/s12970-021-00414-8

Last edited by terrymorse; 02-22-23 at 11:31 AM.
Old 02-22-23, 11:22 AM
terrymorse 
climber has-been

[Wax works as a chain lube] Most certainly is [a myth]. Show me any other machines that are lubed with wax. Totally a cycling myth.
Wrong-headed challenge.

To show that wax-as-a-lube is a myth, you must show how it doesn't work.

Good luck with that. It is well established that a waxed chain is adequately lubed. In fact, wax has been shown to provide some of the lowest friction losses of any lubrication method.

Likes For terrymorse:
Old 02-22-23, 11:28 AM
terrymorse 
climber has-been

All these years, I have been using the widest tires possible on my off road rigs. What a mistake. And when traction is an issue, I increase the patch by airing down until the tire is almost flat. If you increase contact patch area as I wrote, traction improves. If the contact patch area does not increase, neither does traction.
For friction, a bigger contact patch matters on a soft surface. It doesn't matter on a hard surface -- up until the point where you begin to scrub rubber off the tire.

Old 02-22-23, 11:39 AM
squirtdad

Bikes: Kirk Custom JK Special, '84 Team Miyata,(dura ace old school) 80?? SR Semi-Pro 600 Arabesque

Mentioned: 106 Post(s)
Quoted: 2337 Post(s)
Liked 2,811 Times in 1,535 Posts
Most certainly is. Show me any other machines that are lubed with wax. Totally a cycling myth.
wrong and has been posted many time here is company that specializes in industrial wax lubricants..... especially for industrial chains

https://www.klueber.com/us/en/produc...icating-waxes/

Old 02-22-23, 11:39 AM
Maelochs

Bikes: 2015 Workswell 066, 2017 Workswell 093, 2014 Dawes Sheila, 1983 Cannondale 500, 1984 Raleigh Olympian, 2007 Cannondale Rize 4, 2017 Fuji Sportif 1 LE

Mentioned: 144 Post(s)
Quoted: 7648 Post(s)
Liked 3,465 Times in 1,831 Posts
Thanks you. I never said you were lying, just using facts. For instance, this is what the CDC wrote....

This could mean 25% of cyclists had alcohol in their blood AND 33% of the motorists who ran them over. What about the other 75%? And how do we know alcohol had any relationship to cause of death.

The vast majority of deaths are failure to yield, being mowed down from behind on fast secondary roads, and lack of visibility (the hoodie case). And, it is almost always the fault of the motorist. In Europe, the liability generally falls on the motorist automatically.

The myth of the mowed down cyclist being drunk, wearing a black hoodie, no lights, no reflective gear, weaving into traffic, and blowing thru intersections protects us mentally. The majority of cycling deaths are men 60+ and they are not drunk nor are they wearing black hoodies.
If you had bothered t read them all .... 25 % of the cyclists who died were impaired .... 33 percent includes the drivers, Yes, both parties might have been impaired ... buit if you ride drunk, I don't see you as much of a victim, more of an extreme risk-taker (note, blood alcohol was over .08%---legally too drunk to drive.)

And 24% were riding the wrong way.

As for your claim that nobody over 60 rides the wrong way, rides drunk, or rides at night with no lights ... support it with facts.

Why can't some old guy tie one on, and take his unlighted Walmart MTB to the liquor store for a refill, at night, in dark clothes, and get hit coming home, while riding the wrong way?

It stands to reason if more of the deaths are both old and drunk, that there is some overlap. Show me numbers proving otherwise. As you demanded of me.

Or ... a better proposal ... let's just walk away from this debate. You got all upset because I didn't get upset that cyclists die ... Spoiler Alert! EVERYONE dies------and got upset that I was 'blaming the victim." (Or that is how I read it. Maybe you meant something else and I missed it.)

Well ... it's an opinion, and I do not need to debate your opinions. You don't need to debate mine.

We have the option to move on to more productive discussions.

Anyway .... so far, no harm, so no fouls. We haven't embarrassed ourselves yet. For BF, that in itself is a victory.
Old 02-22-23, 11:40 AM
MoAlpha
• —

Bikes: Shmikes

Mentioned: 59 Post(s)
Quoted: 10148 Post(s)
Liked 5,841 Times in 3,145 Posts
Myth: Drinking an Oral Rehydration Solution (ORS) during exercise reduces cramping.

Reality: Maybe not a myth, after all.

One small study (funded by the manufacturer of the ORS drink used) had men run downhill in the heat while drinking either spring water or ORS. After the run, the subject's calf muscles were stimulated electrically at increasing frequency until they cramped up. The subjects who drank ORS were less susceptible to cramping than the ones who drank spring water.
Interesting and a prospective design. If one wanted to attack the study, there's the industry funding, the fact that these are electrically stimulated, not "naturally occurring" cramps, the very small sample and lack of a power analysis, and the inappropriate use of parametric statistics in such a small sample. Aggregate data are also pretty meaningless in a sample this small and it would be nice to see an association between the blood measures and cramp threshold across individuals. When individual data are hidden in a tiny study, one suspects very few individuals may be carrying the means. Still, I won't dismiss the findings out of hand.

Last edited by MoAlpha; 02-22-23 at 11:54 AM.
Old 02-22-23, 11:48 AM
SwtBadger

Bikes: 2015 BMC SLR02; 2004 Bianchi Veloce; 2000 Gary Fischer Big Sur

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 281 Post(s)
Liked 74 Times in 47 Posts
Yes, increasing contact patch does not improve traction.......where? Inside the vacuum of a sealed vodka bottle?

Yes, well established like taking sodium supplements wards off cramping and EAH

Why do lower pressure wide tires like Rene Herse descent so well, aside from better suspension characteristics? It is the massive contact patch. In the rain? Way, way better than 25 mm at 100 psi. Not even close.
Under the conditions described above the coefficient of friction changes. It is lower pressure and the rubber will interact more with the road surface.
Old 02-22-23, 12:01 PM
downtube42

Bikes: Trek Domane SL6 Gen 3, Soma Fog Cutter, Focus Mares AL, Detroit Bikes Sparrow FG, Volae Team, Nimbus MUni

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 892 Post(s)
Liked 2,052 Times in 1,074 Posts
Originally Posted by wolfchild
I ride my mountain bike on pavement, how obnoxious is that ?
So many questions on this abomination:

Is the pavement on a mountain? If yes then I think you're technically okay.
Do your tires have a smooth centerline? If yes than again you'll get a pass.
Are your legs shaved?
Is any Lycra being worn?
Would this be underbiking or overbiking? That may be a matter of attitude, but it matters.
Does your helmet have a visor?
Is the ride followed by consuming a latte or a PBR?

It is both a myth and a reality that these things matter.
Old 02-22-23, 12:03 PM
terrymorse 
climber has-been

Originally Posted by MoAlpha
Interesting and a prospective design. If one wanted to attack the study, there's the industry funding, the fact that these are electrically stimulated, not "naturally occurring" cramps, the very small sample and lack of a power analysis, and the inappropriate use of parametric statistics in such a small sample. Aggregate data are also pretty meaningless in a sample this small and it would be nice to see an association between the blood measures and cramp threshold across individuals. When individual data are hidden in a tiny study, one suspects very few individuals may be carrying the means. Still, I won't dismiss the findings out of hand.
Yes, interesting but not quite a study to "hang your hat on". It seems curious that they couldn't correlate the tendency to cramp with blood electrolyte values:

No significant correlations were evident between the magnitude of change in TF and the magnitude of changes in serum sodium...or chloride concentration...at immediately post-exercise for the spring water condition.

Old 02-22-23, 12:08 PM
MoAlpha
• —

Bikes: Shmikes

Mentioned: 59 Post(s)
Quoted: 10148 Post(s)
Liked 5,841 Times in 3,145 Posts
Yes, interesting but not quite a study to "hang your hat on". It seems curious that they couldn't correlate the tendency to cramp with blood electrolyte values:
Oh, missed that. Yeah, it would be nice wouldn't it? Electrolytes and hydration status don't predict cramping in samples of athletes after events either, which is where the skepticism comes from.
Old 02-22-23, 01:12 PM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Giant OCR A1; SOMA Double Cross Disc; 2022 Allez Elite mit der SRAM

Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Quoted: 8186 Post(s)
Liked 9,095 Times in 5,053 Posts
What's the debate? Whether we need electrolytes to remain properly hydrated? Or whether the sports drink industry is peddling myths and are overmarketing their products as being necessary for proper performance?

I drink Sole water each day. Intermittent fasting requires attention to hydration and electrolyte levels, and rather than having to buy expensive electrolyte supplements, the recommended solution is Sole water. Himalayan Salt is a lot cheaper and provides the all-important sodium, as well as traces of other electrolytes. The cellular processes that require sodium and other electrolytes are well understood so that shouldn't be in doubt. We need electrolytes to utilize and regulate the water that our cells need for life. Problems occur if electrolyte levels fall too low.

Gatorade does contain electrolytes and legitimately hydrates better than plain water, but it also has sugar in it and other things. Aren't there artificial flavors and colors in it? That green color doesn't look natural, at all. And the taste - yuck. Maybe they made it taste like medicine on purpose, so you'd know it was "good for you".

Well, nothing hydrates better than water because hydration refers ONLY to water. That's an absurd statement.

Yes, electrolytes are necessary for survival, that's not the question. The question is whether electrolyte supplementation beyond what you are taking in in food and "normal" beverages is needed. I eat some salty foods when I ride long distances, especially in hot weather. It's a lot more pleasant than drinking one of those foul tasting beverages. I don't worry about supplementing magnesium, potassium or calcium, I get those from eating normal food.

Table salt provides just as much sodium as Himalayan pink salt, and I don't put a lot of stock in the trace amounts of other electrolytes as I get those electrolytes in food.
Old 02-22-23, 01:13 PM
Erzulis Boat 
Le Crocodile

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 368 Post(s)
Liked 781 Times in 311 Posts
How many bikes do you personally own on which you actually swap wheelsets back and forth? And what is the difference in weight between those two wheelsets?

Fulcrum Racing Zero vs. Dolomiti "Super Chrome".

Night and day difference.
Likes For Erzulis Boat:

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.