Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Bike Myths We Wish Would Die

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Bike Myths We Wish Would Die

Search this Thread

Old 02-22-23, 01:23 PM
Jeff Neese

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1081 Post(s)
Liked 681 Times in 438 Posts
Originally Posted by tomato coupe
Why don't you put some of your physics knowledge on display and calculate some numbers for us? You can start with something simple: pick two wheel sets and calculate how many extra watts are required to bring the heavier set up to speed when accelerating from a full stop.
Let's assume we have a 622mm diameter wheel (700c) and we add or subtract 453g (1 pound) from the rims of the wheel. We can use the formula for the rotational inertia of a solid cylinder to calculate the difference in the rotational inertia of the wheel before and after the change:

I = (1/2) * m * r^2

where I is the rotational inertia, m is the mass of the cylinder, and r is the radius of the cylinder.

Before the change, the mass of the wheel can be calculated using its density and volume:

m = density * volume

The density of the wheel can be assumed to be 2700 kg/m^3, which is the density of aluminum alloy commonly used for bicycle wheels. The volume of the wheel can be calculated using its diameter:

V = (1/4) * pi * d^2 * t

where V is the volume, d is the diameter, and t is the thickness of the wheel.

Let's assume the wheel has a thickness of 25mm. Substituting the values, we get:

V = (1/4) * pi * (0.622m)^2 * 0.025m = 0.0048 m^3

m = 2700 kg/m^3 * 0.0048 m^3 = 12.96 kg

The radius of the wheel is half of its diameter:

r = d/2 = 0.311m

Using the formula for rotational inertia, we can calculate the rotational inertia of the wheel before the change:

I_before = (1/2) * 12.96 kg * (0.311m)^2 = 0.619 kg*m^2

Now, let's add or subtract 453g (0.453kg) from the rims of the wheel. This will change the mass of the wheel to:

m_after = 12.96 kg + 0.453 kg = 13.413 kg

Using the same formula, we can calculate the rotational inertia of the wheel after the change:

I_after = (1/2) * 13.413 kg * (0.311m)^2 = 0.641 kg*m^2

The difference in the rotational inertia of the wheel before and after the change is:

ΔI = I_after - I_before = 0.641 kgm^2 - 0.619 kgm^2 = 0.022 kg*m^2

So, adding or subtracting 453g from the rims of the wheel will result in a difference of 0.022 kg*m^2 in the wheel's rotational inertia.

Whether a change in the rotational inertia of a wheel is significant or not depends on the application and the level of precision required. In the case of a bicycle, a change of 0.022 kg*m^2 in the wheel's rotational inertia may not have a noticeable effect on the overall performance of the bike.

For professional cyclists or competitive athletes where small differences in performance can make a significant impact, a change in the rotational inertia of the wheels could very well have a noticeable effect on the bike's acceleration, speed, and handling.

Thus, we have shown that reducing the rotational inertia of the wheels can improve the bike's performance by making it easier to accelerate and change direction. The degree to which this is true is dependent on the amount of change, the characteristics of the ride, and the individual rider's sensitivity to differences in bike handling.

Last edited by Jeff Neese; 02-22-23 at 01:40 PM.
Old 02-22-23, 01:33 PM
big john

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 8261 Post(s)
Liked 8,996 Times in 4,455 Posts
Originally Posted by rydabent
Anyone that doesnt believe rotational enerita has never ridden a bike over 40 mph, or ridden a bike with 2 30 inch wheels and felt how fast it accellerates.
Huh?
Old 02-22-23, 01:41 PM
Eric F 
Habitual User

Bikes: 2023 Niner RLT 9 RDO, 2018 Trek Procaliber 9.9 RSL, 2018 Storck Fascenario.3 Platinum, 2003 Time VX Special Pro, 2001 Colnago VIP, 1999 Trek 9900 singlespeed, 1977 Nishiki ONP

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 4926 Post(s)
Liked 8,054 Times in 3,808 Posts
Originally Posted by squirtdad
wrong and has been posted many time here is company that specializes in industrial wax lubricants..... especially for industrial chains

https://www.klueber.com/us/en/produc...icating-waxes/
Don't come at rydabent with facts and evidence. He doesn't believe in that stuff.
Old 02-22-23, 02:00 PM
GhostRider62

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 2332 Post(s)
Liked 2,097 Times in 1,314 Posts
Originally Posted by rydabent
Anyone that doesnt believe rotational enerita has never ridden a bike over 40 mph, or ridden a bike with 2 30 inch wheels and felt how fast it accellerates.
I've ridden my recumbent over 60 mph and also an upright and the only thing I felt is my testicles in my stomach

There is no inertia at a constant 40 mph.

I think you mean 406 wheel size BTW.
Likes For GhostRider62:
Old 02-22-23, 02:03 PM
GhostRider62

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 2332 Post(s)
Liked 2,097 Times in 1,314 Posts
Originally Posted by SwtBadger
Under the conditions described above the coefficient of friction changes. It is lower pressure and the rubber will interact more with the road surface.
So splain me this.

Why low 13's vs high 12's. Same compound. Just much wider. Same height.

Nobody ever keeps tire size the same when seeking more traction.

Edit: better yet, why does everyone go to bigger brake pads to increase motorcar stopping force. (Oh yes, we need infinitely smooth surfaces besides a vacuum)

Last edited by GhostRider62; 02-22-23 at 02:07 PM.
Old 02-22-23, 02:13 PM
badger1

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 1579 Post(s)
Liked 1,186 Times in 604 Posts
Originally Posted by Jeff Neese
Let's assume we have a 622mm diameter wheel (700c) and we add or subtract 453g (1 pound) from the rims of the wheel. We can use the formula for the rotational inertia of a solid cylinder to calculate the difference in the rotational inertia of the wheel before and after the change:

I = (1/2) * m * r^2

where I is the rotational inertia, m is the mass of the cylinder, and r is the radius of the cylinder.

Before the change, the mass of the wheel can be calculated using its density and volume:

m = density * volume

The density of the wheel can be assumed to be 2700 kg/m^3, which is the density of aluminum alloy commonly used for bicycle wheels. The volume of the wheel can be calculated using its diameter:

V = (1/4) * pi * d^2 * t

Let's assume the wheel has a thickness of 25mm. Substituting the values, we get:

r = d/2 = 0.311m

Using the formula for rotational inertia, we can calculate the rotational inertia of the wheel before the change:

Now, let's add or subtract 453g (0.453kg) from the rims of the wheel. This will change the mass of the wheel to:

Using the same formula, we can calculate the rotational inertia of the wheel after the change:

The difference in the rotational inertia of the wheel before and after the change is:

So, adding or subtracting 453g from the rims of the wheel will result in a difference of 0.022 kg*m^2 in the wheel's rotational inertia.

Whether a change in the rotational inertia of a wheel is significant or not depends on the application and the level of precision required. In the case of a bicycle, a change of 0.022 kg*m^2 in the wheel's rotational inertia may not have a noticeable effect on the overall performance of the bike.

For professional cyclists or competitive athletes where small differences in performance can make a significant impact, a change in the rotational inertia of the wheels could very well have a noticeable effect on the bike's acceleration, speed, and handling.

Thus, we have shown that reducing the rotational inertia of the wheels can improve the bike's performance by making it easier to accelerate and change direction. The degree to which this is true is dependent on the amount of change, the characteristics of the ride, and the individual rider's sensitivity to differences in bike handling.
A valiant effort. Unfortunately, a wall of text/formulae that is 91.62% AI Bot-generated* really doesn't provide evidence of anything at all, especially given that the 'essay' you've had an AI program write for you doesn't address the question tomato coupe posed and to which you were ostensibly responding.

Sad.

*22/02/2023 AI Text Detector (Zero GPT: www.zerogpt.com)
Likes For badger1:
Old 02-22-23, 02:16 PM
MikeWMass

Bikes: Velosolex St. Tropez, LeMond Zurich (spine bike), Rotator swb recumbent

Quoted: 67 Post(s)
Liked 67 Times in 32 Posts
Originally Posted by PeteHski
Countersteering is actually the only way you can lean into a corner. Explained here with a video:-

https://www.renehersecycles.com/myth...untersteering/

We all counter steer instinctively and it would be impossible to lean into a turn if we didn't. With a very heavy bike (like a motorbike) we might have to consciously counter steer. Which is probably why it gets discussed more by bikers.

I respectfully disagree. When you turn a bike while riding no hands, countersteering cannot be the initial event, as you have no direct input to the steering mechanism (handlebars)
Likes For MikeWMass:
Old 02-22-23, 02:21 PM
SwtBadger

Bikes: 2015 BMC SLR02; 2004 Bianchi Veloce; 2000 Gary Fischer Big Sur

Quoted: 281 Post(s)
Liked 74 Times in 47 Posts
Originally Posted by GhostRider62
So splain me this.

Why low 13's vs high 12's. Same compound. Just much wider. Same height.

Nobody ever keeps tire size the same when seeking more traction.

Edit: better yet, why does everyone go to bigger brake pads to increase motorcar stopping force. (Oh yes, we need infinitely smooth surfaces besides a vacuum)
My guess would be that the bigger pads allow for better heat removal and low temperature pads have lower coefficient of friction. Experts in the respective applications are better to ask than me. However, to say that ~400-500 years of scientific law and theory (scientific use of the word, not common) is wrong after having some of the great 20th century scientists not challenge or amend (ie relativity) would seem unlikely.
Old 02-22-23, 02:29 PM
HTupolev

Mentioned: 42 Post(s)
Quoted: 1974 Post(s)
Liked 1,298 Times in 630 Posts

I = (1/2) * m * r^2

m = density * volume

V = (1/4) * pi * d^2 * t

r = d/2 = 0.311m

Why are you modeling a wheel as a huge 29-pound aluminum disk?
Why are you modeling the wheel as a whole at all if your end calculation is just about the difference from a change in rim mass?
Why do your calculations pertaining to mass added "at the rim" distribute it evenly across the entire disk?
Why is this written in the style of a ChatGPT essay?
Old 02-22-23, 02:43 PM
badger1

Originally Posted by HTupolev
Why are you modeling the wheel as a whole at all if your end calculation is just about the difference from a change in rim mass?
Why do your calculations pertaining to mass added "at the rim" distribute it evenly across the entire disk?
Answer: it is a ChatGPT (or similar) essay. See post #559.
Old 02-22-23, 02:50 PM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Giant OCR A1; SOMA Double Cross Disc; 2022 Allez Elite mit der SRAM

Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Quoted: 8186 Post(s)
Liked 9,095 Times in 5,053 Posts
Originally Posted by car5car
There are 3 dead people, who ignored my advices.(age 72, 60, 47) I was trying to save them from heart attack and stroke, they didn't listen. 4th one had heart attack but didn't die. They probably didn't listen because I was not a doctor. RIP, Alex, James and Dirk!!! I tried!!!

Yeah, that happened. Sure.

Are you a duck? I hear a quack.
Old 02-22-23, 02:55 PM
Trakhak

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 2479 Post(s)
Liked 2,947 Times in 1,673 Posts
Looking forward to the AI-generated response from the guy who got ChatGPT to do his homework.
Likes For Trakhak:
Old 02-22-23, 02:59 PM
Erzulis Boat 
Le Crocodile

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 368 Post(s)
Liked 778 Times in 311 Posts
Originally Posted by badger1
A valiant effort. Unfortunately, a wall of text/formulae that is 91.62% AI Bot-generated* really doesn't provide evidence of anything at all, especially given that the 'essay' you've had an AI program write for you doesn't address the question tomato coupe posed and to which you were ostensibly responding.

Sad.

One of my brothers is a Professor, and I sent him this link. He was saying that plagiarism is a huge problem, and getting worse.

Edit- He just got back to me. He says zerogpt only catches the real amateur/common efforts. They are now implementing steps to make AI much less of a concern in grading (didn't elaborate, looking forward to the discussion!)), and on campus they are seeing AI that zerogpt can't pick up on. He says that you cannot rely solely on an AI detector. Anyway, carry on.

Last edited by Erzulis Boat; 02-22-23 at 03:12 PM.
Old 02-22-23, 03:00 PM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Giant OCR A1; SOMA Double Cross Disc; 2022 Allez Elite mit der SRAM

I almost feel sorry for the guy. I'm a total math idiot, and I wouldn't know if I was posting a wall of nonsense. I sure wouldn't try to fool anyone else with it.
Old 02-22-23, 03:05 PM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Originally Posted by Trakhak
Looking forward to the AI-generated response from the guy who got ChatGPT to do his homework.
I'm sorry, but as an AI language model, I cannot help you in writing an essay that justifies academic dishonesty or plagiarism. It is not ethical or fair to present someone else's work as your own, regardless of whether it was generated by an AI or not.

Academic integrity is a core value of education, and it is crucial for personal growth and professional success. When you submit work that is not your own, you undermine the trust that others have in you and risk damaging your reputation and credibility. In addition, cheating in any form can result in severe consequences, such as failing the assignment or the course, being expelled from the school or university, or even facing legal action.

Furthermore, it is important to recognize the value of learning and growing from your mistakes. If you feel that you are struggling with a particular topic or assignment, it is better to seek help from your teacher, tutor, or classmates. There are many resources available to students to help them improve their skills and knowledge, such as writing centers, academic advisors, and online tutorials.

In conclusion, it is never justifiable to present someone else's work as your own, regardless of the circumstances. Academic integrity is an essential aspect of education, and it is crucial to maintain it at all times. If you feel that you are struggling with an assignment or topic, seek help and guidance from appropriate sources, rather than resorting to unethical practices.
Likes For livedarklions:
Old 02-22-23, 03:07 PM
badger1

Originally Posted by Erzulis Boat
One of my brothers is a Professor, and I sent him this link. He was saying that plagiarism is a huge problem, and getting worse.
Plagiarism has been and most certainly is a growing problem. I'm a uni wonk (descriptive grammar; rhetorical theory) as well, for my sins, and now these bl__dy things -- AI-generated papers -- are showing up all the time.
My university has yet to develop a 'policy' on the issues raised, but my fear is that it won't be pretty. We already have 'student lawyers' and distinguished university faculty members lobbying for the 'embrace the tech' approach: aid to thought/'creativity' etc. blah blah blah -- 'we shall all have an AI Bot on our shoulders.'
Can't wait to retire.

Last edited by badger1; 02-22-23 at 03:15 PM.
Likes For badger1:
Old 02-22-23, 03:09 PM
badger1

Originally Posted by livedarklions
I'm sorry, but as an AI language model, I cannot help you in writing an essay that justifies academic dishonesty or plagiarism. It is not ethical or fair to present someone else's work as your own, regardless of whether it was generated by an AI or not.

Academic integrity is a core value of education, and it is crucial for personal growth and professional success. When you submit work that is not your own, you undermine the trust that others have in you and risk damaging your reputation and credibility. In addition, cheating in any form can result in severe consequences, such as failing the assignment or the course, being expelled from the school or university, or even facing legal action.

Furthermore, it is important to recognize the value of learning and growing from your mistakes. If you feel that you are struggling with a particular topic or assignment, it is better to seek help from your teacher, tutor, or classmates. There are many resources available to students to help them improve their skills and knowledge, such as writing centers, academic advisors, and online tutorials.

In conclusion, it is never justifiable to present someone else's work as your own, regardless of the circumstances. Academic integrity is an essential aspect of education, and it is crucial to maintain it at all times. If you feel that you are struggling with an assignment or topic, seek help and guidance from appropriate sources, rather than resorting to unethical practices.
100% AI/GPT generated; well done!!
Likes For badger1:
Old 02-22-23, 03:16 PM
Jeff Neese

Sad.
Oh, you mean wattage required for aceleration? OK, I'll bite. I'll use a random example of going from full stop to 120rpm in 10 seconds.

If we want to accelerated from 0 to 120 rpm in 10 seconds, the difference in power required to accelerate the two wheels from 0 to 120 rpm is approximately 1.02 Watts.

For the wheel with a change of 453g:ΔK = 48.8 Joules (calculated earlier) t = 10 seconds

P = ΔK / t = 48.8 J / 10 s = 4.88 Watts

For the wheel with a change of 906g:

ΔK = 59.0 Joules (calculated earlier) t = 10 seconds

P = ΔK / t = 59.0 J / 10 s = 5.90 Watts

And what do you mean "a valiant effort"? He was a friggin' genius, especially considering it was the 17th century. He might have even been smarter than the guy from Cambridge with the YouTube video.

Last edited by Jeff Neese; 02-22-23 at 03:23 PM.
Old 02-22-23, 03:23 PM
badger1

Oh, you mean wattage required for aceleration? OK, I'll bite. I'll use a random example of going from full stop to 120rpm in 10 seconds.

If we want to accelerated from 0 to 120 rpm in 10 seconds, the difference in power required to accelerate the two wheels from 0 to 120 rpm is approximately 1.02 Watts.

For the wheel with a change of 453g:ΔK = 48.8 Joules (calculated earlier) t = 10 seconds

And what do you mean "a valiant effort"? He was a friggin' genius, especially considering it was the 17th century.
Your numbers and wiggles and squibbles mean absolutely nothing to me. Address them to those who understand these things.

My earlier comment was simply meant to highlight your valiant, but intellectually dishonest, effort. Your post that I submitted to analysis was composed mainly by an AI bot program, not you. That is intellectual dishonesty, in my view, and was the only thing I found interesting about that post.
Bye.
Old 02-22-23, 04:12 PM
Trakhak

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 2479 Post(s)
Liked 2,947 Times in 1,673 Posts

And what do you mean "a valiant effort"? He was a friggin' genius, especially considering it was the 17th century. He might have even been smarter than the guy from Cambridge with the YouTube video.
From now on, please let us know which of your posts are ChatGPT and which represent your own thinking.
Old 02-22-23, 04:28 PM
Jeff Neese

Your numbers and wiggles and squibbles mean absolutely nothing to me. Address them to those who understand these things.

My earlier comment was simply meant to highlight your valiant, but intellectually dishonest, effort. Your post that I submitted to analysis was composed mainly by an AI bot program, not you. That is intellectual dishonesty, in my view, and was the only thing I found interesting about that post.
Bye.
You can't be serious. Ask me just about anything related to electrical principles and operation, and there's a good chance I might be able to give you those formulas off the top of my head. But this stuff? Of course I had to look it up. I'm pretty sure even the engineers in the group don't have this stuff memorized. C'mon, dude.
Old 02-22-23, 04:32 PM
Jeff Neese

Originally Posted by Trakhak
From now on, please let us know which of your posts are ChatGPT and which represent your own thinking.
There are a lot of ways to look things up. Frankly, the person that made the challenge could just as easily have done the same. It's in textbooks and would be found through Google. He asked for the calculations, and I gave them to him. I guess he was just being lazy and wanted me to look them up for him. Or maybe he tried but couldn't find it. Doesn't matter - there's the math.
Old 02-22-23, 04:42 PM
HTupolev

Mentioned: 42 Post(s)
Quoted: 1974 Post(s)
Liked 1,298 Times in 630 Posts
He asked for the calculations, and I gave them to him.
No you didn't. The answers you gave are fairly meaningless, since they include neither your assumptions nor most of the relevant calculations.

As it happens, the specific answer you offered (10.2J over ten seconds) is correct if the added mass is placed at a diameter of 755mm. Which is kind of a strange assumption, as is your use of rotational velocity as an alias for speed at the opening of the problem.

There are a lot of ways to look things up.

Yes. And there are a lot of ways to fail to comprehend or meaningfully use the material that you look up.
Likes For HTupolev:
Old 02-22-23, 04:45 PM
downtube42

Bikes: Trek Domane SL6 Gen 3, Soma Fog Cutter, Focus Mares AL, Detroit Bikes Sparrow FG, Volae Team, Nimbus MUni

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 892 Post(s)
Liked 2,052 Times in 1,074 Posts
Originally Posted by Camilo
What is the definition of "dangerous"? Does something need to be totally free of risk to be "safe"? How is cycling dangerous in any objective way - and in comparison to what. Is it more or less dangerous than common activities like going in and out of a wet tub, walking across a icy parking lot, or walking on a wet linoleum floor?

Cycling is not dangerous. It is not only reasonably safe, it is better for longevity and over all health than not cycling. The "dangerizing" of cycling represented by the popularizing of helmet-as-necessity is bad for overall health and longevity. This is my "opinion" and probably as provable as the opinion that cycling is dangerous.
Yeah I think what reaches mythical proportions is the US non-cycling population's view of the relative risk of road cycling. I think generally, people are very poor at evaluating or understanding probabilities.
Likes For downtube42:
Old 02-22-23, 04:48 PM
SwtBadger

Bikes: 2015 BMC SLR02; 2004 Bianchi Veloce; 2000 Gary Fischer Big Sur

Quoted: 281 Post(s)
Liked 74 Times in 47 Posts
No you didn't. The answers you gave are fairly meaningless, since they include neither your assumptions nor most of the relevant calculations.

As it happens, the specific answer you offered (10.2J over ten seconds) is correct if the added mass is placed at a diameter of 755mm. Which is kind of a strange assumption, as is your use of rotational velocity as an alias for speed at the opening of the problem.
Also to analyze for the root question of whether added weight on a the wheel is significantly different from weight on the bike, the power values need to be compared to change of power for the unchanged wheels, rider and changed frame weight.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.