Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

New to bikes - what to buy?

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Search this Thread

Old 06-18-18, 04:20 PM
Mr. Wuf

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Hi, folks! I知 brand new to the forum and just signed up to post this question. Please move this thread if I知 in the wrong place.

The last bike I rode was about 25 years ago. I知 36 now, with a wife and 2-year-old daughter, and I知 looking to buy a bike that can grow with me but not break the bank. Here痴 what I want:

I live in a rural subdivision in coastal NC (very flat) with a couple of miles of paved private roads and a couple of gravelly/grassy paths. I used to be fairly athletic, but my dad bod has crept up on me, and I知 looking for a way to get back in shape. I also want something that will be fun to cruise around the neighborhood with my wife and kid as the latter gets a little older and maybe (MAYBE) something I can use to ride to the nearest Bojangles a few miles away.

My brother used to be a bike tech at Dick痴, and he gave me some very general information, leading me to a hybrid bike. With that info in hand, I started shopping and found my way to a small, local bike shop today. The helpful gentleman guided me to two bikes:

- Schwinn Super Sport for $300
- Schwinn Sierra 1 for $400

Are these good options? Are the prices reasonable? Given the information I am giving you, which one should I go for? Why? Or do I keep shopping? The $400 bike is at the absolute upper end of my budget, and I was not planning to spend even that much, but I will if the Sierra is that much better. I also found a $250 Schwinn DSB at Walmart, but everyone is dissuading me from a Walmart bike.

Thoughts?

Old 06-18-18, 04:47 PM
katsup

Bikes: 1995 ParkPre Pro 825 2021 Soma Fog Cutter v2 and 2021 Cotic SolarisMax

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 607 Post(s)
Liked 560 Times in 318 Posts
A hybrid bike is a good option for what you describe. You can also expand your search to older rigid mountain bikes if you are not afraid of a used bike. After having a few hybrids, I ended up preferring these.

Looking at your two options, I am not a fan of suspension on hybrid bikes so the Sierra would be out. The super sport is decent, but every manufacture has a bike like this (Trek FX, Specialized Sirrus, Diamonback insight, Giant escape). I'd suggest visiting a few shops and testing riding a few bikes. One may stand out to you over the others.

Direct Links
Schwinn Super Sport
Schwinn Sierra 1

It is highly suggested to stay away from Walmart (department) store bikes as they could constantly need adjusting or not fit right. I have been there and it sat in my garage for 5 years before I tried again.
Old 06-18-18, 08:36 PM
rollagain
Lopsided biped

Bikes: 2017 Day 6 Cyclone (the Buick); 2015 Simcoe Deluxe (the Xebec); Street Strider 3i (the not-a-bike); GreenSpeed Anura (the Black Swan)

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 316 Post(s)
Liked 160 Times in 97 Posts
Schwinn's suggested price on the Super Sport is $450, so $300 seems good, and getting it from a bike shop means it will be correctly assembled and adjusted and they can get you the right frame size. Also, it would leave you a little bit of cash for accessories, and you will need them.

Will it grow with you? Not too likely, I think; all the components on that bike will be entry-level. Still, it should keep you in motion until you can save up for a better one, and by then you'll have figured out what you want next. Learn to do your own maintenance; that will help.

I agree with katsup: don't bother with suspensions, and do visit other bike shops if you can. Don't be in a rush; you're young yet.
Old 06-18-18, 09:28 PM
rgconner

Bikes: Curtis Inglis Road, 80's Sekai touring fixie

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 472 Post(s)
Liked 11 Times in 9 Posts
something I can use to ride to the nearest Bojangles a few miles away.
Well there's yer problem...

Chicken an' biscuits require a 30 mile ride, minimum!
Old 06-18-18, 09:51 PM
wipekitty
vespertine member

Bikes: Yes

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 687 Post(s)
Liked 220 Times in 163 Posts
You sound like a great candidate for a hybrid! In your price range, you probably want to stay away from suspension forks - you won't need suspension, anyway, for the kind of rides you want to do.

I would definitely check around various local bike shops to see what options they might have as well. If you can go up to $400, you can get a very nice entry-level hybrid from one of the big brands (Trek, Giant, etc.) that might end up having some better parts and being a bit lighter (and easier to ride). Most shops offer free tune-ups, too. The other benefit of a "fancy" brand is that the bike will hold its value a bit more, so you may be able to get more money back if you decide to upgrade down the line
Old 06-19-18, 01:43 AM
DIMcyclist
No longer active

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 89 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 6 Posts
Best recommendation I can give you is do your research ahead of time, and take the salesman's spin with a (fair) grain of salt since their job is to sell you things, whether you need them or not. Avoid the fancy stuff.

The second thing I'd recommend is making sure your bike fits: know your size. The time spent at a fitting studio is absolutely worth it and a good place to start; a really good LBS (Local Bike Shop) will usually have a good line on fitting; it can make all the difference in the world with how you get along with your bike, in your comfort on the bike; right now, your cyclist-self is unexplored; you don't know what's really best for you yet.

Beyond that, I'd suggest buying used rather than new, until you figure out who you are on a bike & what kind of riding you enjoy best. (Craigslist is your friend as far as that goes.) On the one hand, it's a lot cheaper, and on the other, you're almost guaranteed to learn more about bikes, and cycling in general. That said, be prepared to shell out a few bucks- not so much on the bike as on fitting & good maintenance until you learn how to do that for yourself (it's a fun learning curve, and maintaining your family's bikes is good dad-thing to do).

It's best to scale up over time: if you start out with a $100 used Schwinn Varsity & later decide you prefer a faster bike, the Schwinn is no great loss; you can more-or-less get your money back selling it on Craigslist. Start out with a $3K Orbea, and you're stuck with a steep bit of depreciation (or a pricey garage-queen) if you later decide you prefer long-distance touring and want a Surly.

That's my two cents, anyway.

-

Last edited by DIMcyclist; 06-19-18 at 02:11 AM. Reason: Phrasing... are we still doing phrasing?
Old 06-19-18, 04:14 AM
Lazyass

Mentioned: 66 Post(s)
Quoted: 2432 Post(s)
Liked 638 Times in 395 Posts
Originally Posted by Mr. Wuf
My brother used to be a bike tech at Dick痴, and he gave me some very general information, leading me to a hybrid bike. With that info in hand, I started shopping and found my way to a small, local bike shop today. The helpful gentleman guided me to two bikes:

- Schwinn Super Sport for $300
- Schwinn Sierra 1 for $400
Go to the place your brother worked at.

On sale for $350

https://www.dickssportinggoods.com/p...nshkmntb15xfbb
Old 06-19-18, 08:44 AM
Mr. Wuf

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Lazyass
Go to the place your brother worked at.

On sale for $350

(Link removed, since I can稚 post links yet)
Is that a better option than the two I found in the bike shop?
Old 06-19-18, 09:01 AM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,355 Times in 862 Posts
Locally, @ a Bike Shop.. service after the sale is valuable ..
Old 06-19-18, 09:07 AM
jefnvk

Bikes: 2016 Novara Mazama

Mentioned: 63 Post(s)
Quoted: 3640 Post(s)
Liked 81 Times in 51 Posts
Under $400, the difference is going to be minimal. All are going to have a 7 speed Tourney setup.

I'd pick the one you like the best and run with it. Personally, I'd shy towards a Trek or Specialized or Giant over a Schwinn, Trek and Giant lists a couple models around or below $400 while the Specialized is a hair over. Trek FX1 is $360. Warranty service and support is far more widespread for those brands. As others have stated, at that price go rigid fork, and I'd prefer V brakes over discs at that price point. But, realistically, there isn't going to be much difference between all the offerings.
Old 06-19-18, 09:10 AM
Lazyass

Is that a better option than the two I found in the bike shop?
Yeah, it's an all around better bike with better components. It has an Acera group, the other two have bottom of the barrel Tourney. I'm willing to bet it's at least a couple of pounds lighter. Many pounds lighter than that Sierra 1 for sure.
Old 06-20-18, 12:19 PM
Mr. Wuf

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I saw this on my local Craigslist. Is this something to pursue?

This Jamis Allegro 1X hybrid road bike has a:

-19" aluminum frame
-Front shock absorbers
-Riser handlebar
-Mechanical disc brakes
-Shimano 24-speed drivetrain

It comes with the original owners manual and I am also including a Cateye Velo 8 cycling computer (that displays current, max, and average speed, total distance, trip distance, elapsed time, calories, pace arrow, and a clock).

This bike is in great condition and I have had it serviced regularly (the most recent tune up was in February this year). The ride is smooth and this is a reliable bike for commuting or just riding for fun!

Price firm $300 in cash. Serious inquires only please.
I can't post the URL as a link since I don't have 10 posts yet... eastnc.craigslist.org/bik/6606626995.html
Old 06-20-18, 12:49 PM
Charliekeet

Bikes: S-Works Stumpjumper HT Disc, Fuji Absolute, Kona Jake the Snake, '85 Cannondale SR900

Quoted: 219 Post(s)
Liked 217 Times in 142 Posts

I can't post the URL as a link since I don't have 10 posts yet... eastnc.craigslist.org/bik/6606626995.html
looks good. I致e always liked Jamis. I think that痴 a bit high, and it痴 been there for 17 days, so, idk. I think I壇 take the new from the LBS options in a similar bike. If this person hadn稚 written price firm, I壇 try to get that for less than 300.
Old 06-20-18, 12:58 PM
Mr. Wuf

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I was thinking of offering $250 cash since it had been 17 days and seeing if he bit. Would that be a better deal, or should I still go for the local bike shop's offering?
Old 06-20-18, 01:22 PM
jefnvk

Bikes: 2016 Novara Mazama

Mentioned: 63 Post(s)
Quoted: 3640 Post(s)
Liked 81 Times in 51 Posts
I was thinking of offering $250 cash since it had been 17 days and seeing if he bit. Would that be a better deal, or should I still go for the local bike shop's offering?
Assuming that is as good as it looks, I'd readily buy that over the Schwinn.

If you're going to try the offering less route, I'd do it in person if it is close enough you don't mind leaving without it. Mention you are looking new at the same price, if it has been a few weeks and they really want to get rid of it, a customer with cash in hand is much harder to let walk away over $30-40 than someone one on email who may not even show.
Old 06-20-18, 01:41 PM
Lazyass

It looks like a decent deal. Show the seller this and see if he'll come down:

https://www.bicyclebluebook.com/Sear...90&model=74018
Old 06-20-18, 02:10 PM
Kedosto
Callipygian Connoisseur

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 564 Post(s)
Liked 350 Times in 190 Posts
Familiarize yourself with bikes from the big brands (Trek, Specialized, Giant, etc) in the $500-700 price range. Do your homework; know the drivetrain components, brakes, tires etc. Wait patiently for a Garage Queen (little to no use) to post up on Craigslist. The world is full of high quality, unused entry level bikes gathering dust in the back of a garage. When a cherry hits C'list, check it out closely. Do the components match? Is it factory fresh? If so, jump on it with a cash offer. They will be priced in your $$ range. You'll end up with a quality bike at a steep discount. Have your brother in law give it a quick once over, but lean over his shoulder to learn a thing or two. You'll be good to go.

DON'T spend big money on kids' bikes. They out grow 'em before the bike has a chance to wear out. Unless they're boys. Boys can tear up a cheap bike.

-Kedosto
Old 06-20-18, 02:37 PM
TiHabanero

Quoted: 1744 Post(s)
Liked 1,370 Times in 719 Posts
The shop I work in sells select models from Schwinn and the Supersport is a good model to get started with. What I have seen coming out of the boxes has been good. No real flaws in manufacture. Entry level components. The bike is not a racer, not a high mileage rider, and not a bike built for non pavement use. If cared for it will hold up well. We have several customers on limited budgets that use them for commuting duty year round. Not an easy task in Michigan. Maintenance will be your friend, as it always is.

At $300 it is a very good value. Is the color red?
Old 06-20-18, 02:39 PM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

Bikes: Tarmac Disc Comp Di2 - 2020

Mentioned: 51 Post(s)
Quoted: 6191 Post(s)
Liked 4,806 Times in 3,315 Posts
If you are just wanting to cruise around the neighbor hoods or go to nearby stores I'd think a beach cruiser or something on that order would be the most comfortable. The hybrid might give you the option to do some more serious cycling. I think the cruisers and old style roadsters are the most comfortable for just lazy day riding and tooling around for a half hour or so with no purpose.

As for something to grow with you? Well, probably not if by growing you mean as you get more serious about riding. If you later decide to ride you bike for fitness in the aerobics realm of exercise then you will probably find the lower end bikes won't serve you well once your body gets used to exercising at that level. But til that happens, It's not worth worrying about picking the perfect bike because that's a moving target.

What ever you get, make sure it has the gearing appropriate to the areas you want to ride it in and make sure it is an appropriate size for you.

Last edited by Iride01; 06-20-18 at 02:47 PM.
Old 06-20-18, 07:00 PM
Mr. Wuf

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by TiHabanero
The shop I work in sells select models from Schwinn and the Supersport is a good model to get started with. What I have seen coming out of the boxes has been good. No real flaws in manufacture. Entry level components. The bike is not a racer, not a high mileage rider, and not a bike built for non pavement use. If cared for it will hold up well. We have several customers on limited budgets that use them for commuting duty year round. Not an easy task in Michigan. Maintenance will be your friend, as it always is.

At $300 it is a very good value. Is the color red?
Yep. It痴 red. I dont plan on having it off pavement except for about a 50 yard stretch of grass where the private road around our neighborhood isn't paved. Will that be enough of an issue to target a different bike?
Old 06-20-18, 08:32 PM
TiHabanero

Quoted: 1744 Post(s)
Liked 1,370 Times in 719 Posts
Good. Red is good. It is a few model years old, but that means nothing as Schwinn no longer has real model years. They produce a batch and when it sells out be it in 6 months or 6 years, they produce another batch for the product cycle to begin again. Many companies do this as it is more economical and keeps them from having blow out sales on "old" models. When one thinks about this, it really does make sense.